People with 30 gb Zunes

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

TempestSong
Youngling

Re: People with 30 gb Zunes

Post by TempestSong »

Stark wrote:Oh man, so much hilarious nerdnoise. I hear AAC might give you problems, even though it's better and smaller than MP3s and so ubiquitous even fucking 360s support it. Stay away from that h.264/mp4 stuff too, because shitty $20 devices from Singapore don't support it! Stay with xvid. Even better, stay with MPEG2.
I hear you're throwing out a red herring, too. It's starting to really stink up the thread. Please put it back in the scum-infested pond it came from.
Stark wrote:I love that after all the noise gets demolished, they just come back with 'wah I don't like it'. So, why the dishonestly? I have an extremely strong technical background, and once upon a time back in the 90s I managed media the hard/manual way. Then they invented 'media jukebox' software, which grew into our current 'media library' stuff. All it takes is the ability to learn and it makes managing media easier; but it turns out learning and change is too hard for most people. The fact that it does everything my mum needs it to do without confusing her with 'files' and 'paths' is of course irrelevant. Not liking something is a perfectly good reason not to use it; it's a terrible reason to lie about a bunch of shit you don't know fuck-all about to try to talk someone out of using it. After all, I hear iTunes can't help you tag your music? LOL!
When did I ever say this? I even stated that iTunes has its uses for people who needed it. When did I ever argue that media libraries are superbly inferior to file management? I use a damn media library myself, you know, mp3tag. What I said was dragging/dropping could be about as convenient as managing the iTunes database due to it being similar to how regular Windows file operations work. To which I was told that wasn't necessarily true, and which I already conceded.

Great way of misrepresenting and twisting my words. :roll: Read the fucking topic before you try and comment on what I say, moron.
Stark wrote:Anyone who shits on something 'cool' to hate like iTunes, spits out a bunch of easily countered nonsense arguments, has obviously barely even used it and then runs away while saying 'wah I just don't like it' is a dishonest coward. Is it really that hard to learn new ways of doing things? :roll: The idea that it's easier to use one app to buy media and another to deliver it to the device than have an integrated store is so utterly retarded that I honestly can't think of anything to say.
I've had experience with iTunes before. I didn't like it. However, I did admit it had its uses for some people, and thus should still be included...but I stated it would be best-used as a side program. Instead of it being absolutely fucking required to use the device. You know, I'm not going to repeat myself. Go and read what I posted real carefully before you make another idiotic and uninformed comment.
Beowulf wrote:I've got a computer with hundreds of MIPS of processing power and a terabyte of space. Why the fuck should I try to remember where everything is? The computer is better at that than I am.

As for your MP3 player automatically reading the ID3 tags and populating it's own internal database: that's retarded. It'd take forever, because both the processor is slow, and the disk is slow. There's a reason why the iPod is one of the few that allows you to play by genre.
I don't know, I thought putting soundtracks in appropriate genre/band/album directories would be good enough. Not to mention the labeling, which you know, mp3 players use for their databases instead of reading the raw directory structure, and any tagging program could handle perfectly. But hey, like I said, to each their own. If you like iTunes, so be it, use it all you want. And my old Zen did a nice job at a good speed in its recordkeeping. I know this because when said Zen once hit the ground and shut itself off, it had to re-index its contents, and that took way under a half-minute. What's more, this only happened once! This slowness you speak of, what is it?

And the iPod being...one of few that allows you to play by genre? What's your definition of few? Microsoft's Zune, Creative's Zen, Sandisk's Sansa, and basically the majority of first-world mp3 players out there do that. It's as simple as reading the fucking tags. You know, you can't throw stones at other people if you haven't even looked at recent technology from, oh, the last 3 years.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

TempestSong wrote: I hear you're throwing out a red herring, too. It's starting to really stink up the thread. Please put it back in the scum-infested pond it came from.
Sorry I'm not just responding to you. Someone said AAC might be a bad format to use when ... 360s use it. Oh no, no support on Sandisk players! Disaster. This is NOT a red herring when it's a direct response to someone's statement, dickcheese. PROTIP - if someone replies to something you didn't say, but someone else did - MAYBE THEY'RE NOT RESPONDING TO YOU?!
TempestSong wrote:When did I ever say this? I even stated that iTunes has its uses for people who needed it. When did I ever argue that media libraries are superbly inferior to file management? I use a damn media library myself, you know, mp3tag. What I said was dragging/dropping could be about as convenient as managing the iTunes database due to it being similar to how regular Windows file operations work. To which I was told that wasn't necessarily true, and which I already conceded.
Next time you'll just say 'I don't use iTunes due to personal preference' instead of trying to argue a bunch of shit like casual, non-technical users being a majority. :)
TempestSong wrote: I've had experience with iTunes before. I didn't like it. However, I did admit it had its uses for some people, and thus should still be included...but I stated it would be best-used as a side program. Instead of it being absolutely fucking required to use the device. You know, I'm not going to repeat myself. Go and read what I posted real carefully before you make another idiotic and uninformed comment.
You're such a sadcase. Frankly, my response was directed almost entirely at Charlemagne, since he was expressing actual arguments/points instead of WAH I AM TEH MEMORY MAN ITUNEZ SUCK like you. Saying things like 'playlists cannot be drag-dropped' is factually incorrect. Whoops!
TempestSong wrote: I don't know, I thought putting soundtracks in appropriate genre/band/album directories would be good enough. Not to mention the labeling, which you know, mp3 players use for their databases instead of reading the raw directory structure, and any tagging program could handle perfectly. But hey, like I said, to each their own. If you like iTunes, so be it, use it all you want. And my old Zen did a nice job at a good speed in its recordkeeping. I know this because when said Zen once hit the ground and shut itself off, it had to re-index its contents, and that took way under a half-minute. What's more, this only happened once! This slowness you speak of, what is it?

And the iPod being...one of few that allows you to play by genre? What's your definition of few? Microsoft's Zune, Creative's Zen, Sandisk's Sansa, and basically the majority of first-world mp3 players out there do that. It's as simple as reading the fucking tags. You know, you can't throw stones at other people if you haven't even looked at recent technology from, oh, the last 3 years.
Oh man this is gold. Please demonstrate more of your hilarious 'knowledge'. :) I wish I was elite enough to use a crappy player and be forced to manually manage my music; so much better than automation or the ability to jigger about with media types, playlists, groups and preferences in one place in seconds. :)
TempestSong
Youngling

Post by TempestSong »

Stark wrote:Sorry I'm not just responding to you. Someone said AAC might be a bad format to use when ... 360s use it. Oh no, no support on Sandisk players! Disaster. This is NOT a red herring when it's a direct response to someone's statement, dickcheese. PROTIP - if someone replies to something you didn't say, but someone else did - MAYBE THEY'RE NOT RESPONDING TO YOU?!
So far you've been responding to me and lumping me in with the anti-iTunes fanatics who wants the program to die and burn in hell. It's natural to assume you included me in that statement. So do me a favor, do the smart thing, and address your statements to the right fucking person.
Stark wrote:Next time you'll just say 'I don't use iTunes due to personal preference' instead of trying to argue a bunch of shit like casual, non-technical users being a majority. :)
Misrepresentation of my words again, fuckhead. Read again.
Stark wrote:You're such a sadcase. Frankly, my response was directed almost entirely at Charlemagne, since he was expressing actual arguments/points instead of WAH I AM TEH MEMORY MAN ITUNEZ SUCK like you. Saying things like 'playlists cannot be drag-dropped' is factually incorrect. Whoops!
So why not add an ad-hominem to your list so far, eh? Your reading comprehension is pathetic.

For the record, I thought charlemagne's response about the playlists was stupid, and just stayed quiet on it. But of course you'll go ahead and assume I'm on his side.
Stark wrote:Oh man this is gold. Please demonstrate more of your hilarious 'knowledge'. :) I wish I was elite enough to use a crappy player and be forced to manually manage my music; so much better than automation or the ability to jigger about with media types, playlists, groups and preferences in one place in seconds. :)
Yes, completely ignore what I said. As you've been recently doing. I'dve thought better would come from you.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Grow a dick, shorty. I made a post with no indication who I was talking to BESIDES THE ARGUMENTS I REFERENCED and you decided I was talking to you EVEN THOUGH YOU DIDN'T SAY THOSE THINGS. You're either fucking retarded or a liar. Watching you cry is pretty funny, however.
TempestSong
Youngling

Post by TempestSong »

Stark wrote:Grow a dick, shorty. I made a post with no indication who I was talking to BESIDES THE ARGUMENTS I REFERENCED and you decided I was talking to you EVEN THOUGH YOU DIDN'T SAY THOSE THINGS. You're either fucking retarded or a liar. Watching you cry is pretty funny, however.
Are you just going to be an arrogant troll through the rest of this and completely ignore everything I said? I thought people on this board were supposed to read through the other side's posts.

Oh well, so I'm human. I thought you were also talking to me with regard to the formats, given everything else you've said so far. Get off your high horse, you aren't any better.
charlemagne
Jedi Knight

Post by charlemagne »

Stark wrote:Oh man, so much hilarious nerdnoise.
Nay, I used iTunes for a fair bit, because as I said, I like the cover flow. I switched from Winamp + Winamp Library. I decided not to like iTunes and to switch back because Winamp is faster with easy tasks like "listen to this song, then this album, then that song", it's sleeker and starts up quicker, it's easier to manage and update file tags, and adding to and removing deleted files from the library is one "Rescan media folders" respectively one "Check for missing files" click.

But know what, I still keep all my music tidily in one dedicated folder, because apparently I'm too much of a nerd to purposely clutter all my files around my harddrives. I'll try to forget places I put things and I'll set new random paths when downloading music or ripping new cds to get rid of that flaw, okay? Seriously what the fuck, what's so hard about creating a folder called "Music" and putting your music in there and nowhere else? It's kinda like what I do with my bookshelf and cd shelf in the living room.

By the way, is "play by genre" something people even use? I'm just curious, because every time I try it and e.g. think "yeah, let's listen to some hard rock", it comes up with Rainbow while I'm more in the mood for Slash's Snakepit. "Genres" are by my definitions to broad to be useful as a criteria to listen to.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

I actually stopped using Winamp during the 'experiments' of the early 2000s; I was a big fan back in the ~2.8 days. I didn't like the direction it went (with the wierd skins/layouts), then stuff like Musicmatch and iTunes came along, and I never really looked back.

iTunes has some pretty fucking annoying issues; you can't sort by 'has/has not got art', every update re-runs the 'first startup' process and resets the music folder to /my music and they shuffle the location of features around for apparently no reason. It's less of an issue on Mac, so I imagine it's just bad porting (particularly with all the OSX widgets that fill feature gaps in iTunes, like tag lookup etc). There's got to be a Windows Shazam-lookup thing, it's retarded I can tag better holding my phone to the speaker than internally. :)

And I use play by genre almost exclusively - but this is a side-effect of managing my music (using the iTunes tools/playlists/checks etc) to ensure I don't carry around music I'm not interested in at the moment. I basically play either 'rock' or 'dance' music, and for this reason don't use silly genres like 'alternative' or 'pop'.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

charlemagne wrote:But know what, I still keep all my music tidily in one dedicated folder, because apparently I'm too much of a nerd to purposely clutter all my files around my harddrives.
Tick a box and iTunes does that for you, by the way. All nicely sorted by artist and album for file structure OCD types to boot.
TempestSong
Youngling

Post by TempestSong »

charlemagne wrote:But know what, I still keep all my music tidily in one dedicated folder, because apparently I'm too much of a nerd to purposely clutter all my files around my harddrives. I'll try to forget places I put things and I'll set new random paths when downloading music or ripping new cds to get rid of that flaw, okay? Seriously what the fuck, what's so hard about creating a folder called "Music" and putting your music in there and nowhere else? It's kinda like what I do with my bookshelf and cd shelf in the living room.
Nothing's wrong with it; the majority of the customers I get who need backups put all their music in the My Music folder all the time. Sometimes in another custom directory too. They use other media libraries such as Winamp and WMP's, but they know where to locate their files.

But apparently some people who use iTunes here need to justify their usage by decrying others who don't use that program. It kinda reminds me of Mac fanatics in the olden days of Windows vs. Mac. :lol: No offense to the majority of iTunes users here; it's a fine program for what it does, and if you like it, great for you.
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

We're decrying people for just not using the program? That's hilarious. I'm sure it doesn't have anything to do with mocking people for being dishonest little shits and using half baked reasoning or outright lying. :lol: :lol:
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
TempestSong
Youngling

Post by TempestSong »

General Zod wrote:We're decrying people for just not using the program? That's hilarious. I'm sure it doesn't have anything to do with mocking people for being dishonest little shits and using half baked reasoning or outright lying. :lol: :lol:
Wasn't talking about you; you made several very good points. However, calling people "NERDS WITH OCD LOLOL" who don't use iTunes is kinda ridiculous, wouldn't you think? Almost comes out as a kind of projection.

Anyway, I still stand behind my original standing of "iPod would be really nice if it had MTP or USB mass storage access, and iTunes not being required for it". How people twisted this to mean anything else is beyond me.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

TempestSong wrote: Anyway, I still stand behind my original standing of "iPod would be really nice if it had MTP or USB mass storage access, and iTunes not being required for it". How people twisted this to mean anything else is beyond me.
The point is that only a nerd with OCD would consider manually dragging and dropping music onto a player a better solution (and if it's not better, why bother with it?) than just plugging the player in and the software automatically updating it with all the required songs.
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

TempestSong wrote: Wasn't talking about you; you made several very good points. However, calling people "NERDS WITH OCD LOLOL" who don't use iTunes is kinda ridiculous, wouldn't you think? Almost comes out as a kind of projection.
It doesn't matter if you were talking about me or not. Claiming that we're hating on people just for not using iTunes is incredibly dishonest if not just outright lying.
Anyway, I still stand behind my original standing of "iPod would be really nice if it had MTP or USB mass storage access, and iTunes not being required for it". How people twisted this to mean anything else is beyond me.
What twisting? When confronted with the position that it's more convenient, you countered by claiming that dragging & dropping is more convenient (turns out you can drag & drop folders onto iTunes? LOL). Which is flat out dishonest or ignorant and something expected from someone who has either never used iTunes or just used it for all of 3 minutes before giving up.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
charlemagne
Jedi Knight

Post by charlemagne »

Vendetta wrote: The point is that only a nerd with OCD would consider manually dragging and dropping music onto a player a better solution (and if it's not better, why bother with it?) than just plugging the player in and the software automatically updating it with all the required songs.
I won't dispute that with a 80 or 160GB player it's convenient that iTunes just puts everything on it. But what about smaller players like Nanos with only 4 or 8 GB storage space? Most people can't fit their whole music collection on those, so you have to specify which songs/albums the software should copy on the player. I think that would be a situation where just doing some drag&drop in explorer would be more comfortable.
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

charlemagne wrote: I won't dispute that with a 80 or 160GB player it's convenient that iTunes just puts everything on it. But what about smaller players like Nanos with only 4 or 8 GB storage space? Most people can't fit their whole music collection on those, so you have to specify which songs/albums the software should copy on the player. I think that would be a situation where just doing some drag&drop in explorer would be more comfortable.
I hear iTunes lets you make more than one playlist at a time. I realize it's a novel concept.
TempestSong
Youngling

Post by TempestSong »

General Zod wrote:It doesn't matter if you were talking about me or not. Claiming that we're hating on people just for not using iTunes is incredibly dishonest if not just outright lying.
It seemed that way from my standpoint, and I already conceded to it. I became argumentative because Stark chose to liken people who don't prefer total automation to people with no lives and Monk-style personalities.
What twisting? When confronted with the position that it's more convenient, you countered by claiming that dragging & dropping is more convenient (turns out you can drag & drop folders onto iTunes? LOL). Which is flat out dishonest or ignorant and something expected from someone who has either never used iTunes or just used it for all of 3 minutes before giving up.
Huh, I said that since Windows Explorer was something that most people would already be familiar with, it could be more recognized than learning a new program. We already went over this; that's the twisting I'm speaking of. You're probably thinking of charlemagne and his playlist comment.

Apples and oranges; some people like Explorer, others like iTunes. Some people like iTunes' complete automation, others like to do some things by hand while leaving the rest to the machine. I mean, seriously, from this chair at this desk it looked like this argument was on the lines of "which do you like better, typing notes on a computer or writing notes on paper and filing it in a cabinet". Probably not the best analogy, but right now I think it suits my views.
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

TempestSong wrote: Huh, I said that since Windows Explorer was something that most people would already be familiar with, it could be more recognized than learning a new program. We already went over this; that's the twisting I'm speaking of. You're probably thinking of charlemagne and his playlist comment.
you on the first page wrote:Convenience? What's more convenient than dragging/dropping, like you know, every other file operation in Windows?
You're saying it's more convenient to drag & drop files as if iTunes didn't already support that feature. Stuff like this is why we think you're being dishonest.
Apples and oranges; some people like Explorer, others like iTunes. Some people like iTunes' complete automation, others like to do some things by hand while leaving the rest to the machine. I mean, seriously, from this chair at this desk it looked like this argument was on the lines of "which do you like better, typing notes on a computer or writing notes on paper and filing it in a cabinet". Probably not the best analogy, but right now I think it suits my views.
If it was just a matter of preference that would be fine. But instead there's people inventing all kinds of bizarre, wrong, or outright false reasons to hate iTunes.
TempestSong
Youngling

Post by TempestSong »

General Zod wrote:You're saying it's more convenient to drag & drop files as if iTunes didn't already support that feature. Stuff like this is why we think you're being dishonest.
Didn't intend to come off that way in that case, so I apologize if so.
If it was just a matter of preference that would be fine. But instead there's people inventing all kinds of bizarre, wrong, or outright false reasons to hate iTunes.
Well I've had my bad experiences, but other people seem to have had good experiences. I'll try giving iTunes more of a chance in the future; I've mostly hung around in a community where that program has a bad rep among us.
Vertigo1
Defender of the Night

Post by Vertigo1 »

Venator wrote:There's a number of third-party programs that you can use instead of the Zune's default software, although the TOS might have something against it - I've never bothered to check, since the current version isn't half bad in my experience. Much more intuitive and stylish than iTunes.
Unfortunately, not a single one of those third-party programs work due to the fact that the Zune software sends an encrypted set of bits to the Zune to unlock it for data transfer. The only way to get third-party software to work is to actually launch the official zune software, and leave it running in the background. Honestly, the software really isn't that bad. I actually LIKE the fact that it corrects faulty ID3 tags, and downloads the official album art from the web. (the artwork is shown every time the song is played)

btw, I own the 80GB version, and mine never did lock up.
"I once asked Rebecca to sing Happy Birthday to me during sex. That was funny, especially since I timed my thrusts to sync up with the words. And yes, it was my birthday." - Darth Wong

Leader of the SD.Net Gargoyle Clan | Spacebattles Firstone | Twitter