Vista 32 to 64 bit trade in program?

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Hamel
Sith Marauder

Vista 32 to 64 bit trade in program?

Post by Hamel »

Hey, there was some sort of trade in gig with Microsoft. You could send in your 32 bit copy and get a 64 bit copy for free. I even had a bookmark for it but it grew legs and took a hike. I have moogled and googled and it done me no good.

Microsoft's website isn't helpful either, I had a rough time finding it before. Does anyone know about this?
"Right now we can tell you a report was filed by the family of a 12 year old boy yesterday afternoon alleging Mr. Michael Jackson of criminal activity. A search warrant has been filed and that search is currently taking place. Mr. Jackson has not been charged with any crime. We cannot specifically address the content of the police report as it is confidential information at the present time, however, we can confirm that Mr. Jackson forced the boy to listen to the Howard Stern show and watch the movie Private Parts over and over again."
Dominus Atheos
Sith Marauder

Post by Dominus Atheos »

That's a really old program, and I don't think they do that anymore. Here's a story from 2005 about the program.

If you really want to know, the number to Microsoft's replacement line is (800)-360-7561. I think that might just be if your disk gets scratched though. The number to their information line is (800)-426-9400. One of those numbers should be able to tell you.
Dominus Atheos
Sith Marauder

Post by Dominus Atheos »

I just chatted online with an agent, and they said they don't have that program anymore. Here's a link to the chat if you have anymore questions.
Beowulf
The Patrician

Post by Beowulf »

My suggestion may sound weird: pirate bay. Any 64-bit disk of the appropriate type (OEM or Retail) will work with any CD-key. So if you happen to have a legit key for Vista Ultimate, and want to run 64-bit instead, just "acquire" a 64-bit install DVD, and install it with your 32-bit key.

MS cares which version you get (Home Basic, Home Premium, etc), not what bit-ness you're running.
"preemptive killing of cops might not be such a bad idea from a personal saftey[sic] standpoint..." --Keevan Colton
"There's a word for bias you can't see: Yours." -- William Saletan
RThurmont
Jedi Master
Location: Desperately trying to find a local restaurant that serves foie gras.

Post by RThurmont »

Or you could, you know, just comply with US and international copyright law, and also save yourself the risk of subtle malware, and get a legitimate OEM install disk. You get the media with OEM licenses purchased at Fry's and elsewhere. Get a Vista Basic OEM license that's 64 bit, and this can also be used to install other versions of Vista that you also have legitimate licenses for, and as an added plus, you get an extra license of Vista to use if you need it.

As far as I know, the above procedure is fully compliant with the Microsoft EULA and all applicable US laws, but IANAL. However one would think that they would not allow the OEM install disks to install different versions of Vista, if they weren't actually attempting to provide OEMs with media that could be re-used as needed to facilitate selling multiple copies of Windows.

You can also of course run a good quality 64 bit edition of Linux. SuSE supports 32 bit and 64 bit operation quite well with its x64 editions, and can be obtained free of charge, so if you're looking to add a 64 bit OS to your PC with a 32 bit Windows, you can go that route.

The vast majority of Windows software in existence is compiled only for x86, so having a 64 bit version of Windows, while allowing you to use more than 3.5 GB of RAM, will primarily be of use in allowing the simultaneous operation of multiple RAM intensive programs, so I see it being a legitimate solution for workstation users who have to run beasts like Microsoft Office and, say, Maya, simultaneously, but I see it being much less relevant for gaming, for now (although I suspect a lot of newer games have smart installers that can install 64 bit binaries, and that's a trend that will probably continue). That said, of the games I enjoy playing, most are 32 bit only, and many are 16 bit, so this of course if of no relevance at all to me. :-P
"Here's a nickel, kid. Get yourself a better computer."
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

RThurmont wrote:Or you could, you know, just comply with US and international copyright law, and also save yourself the risk of subtle malware, and get a legitimate OEM install disk. You get the media with OEM licenses purchased at Fry's and elsewhere. Get a Vista Basic OEM license that's 64 bit, and this can also be used to install other versions of Vista that you also have legitimate licenses for, and as an added plus, you get an extra license of Vista to use if you need it.
As it happens, it's pretty unlikely that a pirated ISO is going to have weird stuff on it (at the least, the system files are protected via cryptographic signing). There might be other weird stuff slipstreamed on, but it's fairly unlikely. It's generally not worth the trouble to build a custom Vista disc.

EDIT: The MD5 keys from MSDN are often published as well, in case one wishes to check.
As far as I know, the above procedure is fully compliant with the Microsoft EULA and all applicable US laws, but IANAL. However one would think that they would not allow the OEM install disks to install different versions of Vista, if they weren't actually attempting to provide OEMs with media that could be re-used as needed to facilitate selling multiple copies of Windows.
License-wise, the OEM versions are in fact limited to a specific version, down to the bitness. A 32-bit OEM license does not grant you the right to have a 64-bit version (hence why all the inexpensive OEM copies on Newegg specify if they're 32 or 64-bit, and the retail ones don't).
Last edited by phongn on 2008-08-10 09:02pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hamel
Sith Marauder

Post by Hamel »

Beowulf wrote:My suggestion may sound weird: pirate bay. Any 64-bit disk of the appropriate type (OEM or Retail) will work with any CD-key. So if you happen to have a legit key for Vista Ultimate, and want to run 64-bit instead, just "acquire" a 64-bit install DVD, and install it with your 32-bit key.

MS cares which version you get (Home Basic, Home Premium, etc), not what bit-ness you're running.
Would this cause a problem if I have to reactivate?
"Right now we can tell you a report was filed by the family of a 12 year old boy yesterday afternoon alleging Mr. Michael Jackson of criminal activity. A search warrant has been filed and that search is currently taking place. Mr. Jackson has not been charged with any crime. We cannot specifically address the content of the police report as it is confidential information at the present time, however, we can confirm that Mr. Jackson forced the boy to listen to the Howard Stern show and watch the movie Private Parts over and over again."
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

Hamel wrote:Would this cause a problem if I have to reactivate?
Quite possibly, though in my experience Microsoft's activation support lines are fairly lax.
Hamel
Sith Marauder

Post by Hamel »

Hey lovely people,

I checked out Pirate Bay to humor my cawk, because I did not want to pay 100 or whatever bucks for an OEM copy. Someone there had a link to this which is what I was looking for. I went ahead and ordered a 64 bit copy - it only cost me $10.7x including tax. Didn't even charge for shipping.

Thanks for your help though.
Edward Yee
Sith Devotee

Post by Edward Yee »

You sir are a hero. *Has 32-bit Vista Home Premium on his laptop from the Express Upgrade program*
"Yee's proposal is exactly the sort of thing I would expect some Washington legal eagle to do. In fact, it could even be argued it would be unrealistic to not have a scene in the next book of, say, a Congressman Yee submit the Yee Act for consideration. :D" - bcoogler on this

"My crystal ball is filled with smoke, and my hovercraft is full of eels." - Bayonet

Stark: "You can't even GET to heaven. You don't even know where it is, or even if it still exists."
SirNitram: "So storm Hell." - From the legendary thread