Episode 2/Portal reactions

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Schuyler Colfax
Jedi Master

Post by Schuyler Colfax »

SylasGaunt wrote:I just finished Portal.

The cake is a lie. The cake is a lie. The cake is a lie.
My friend kept saying that all day, I was wondering where that was from.
Get some
Ace Pace
Hardware Lover

Post by Ace Pace »

The cake is a lie....Or is it?

I'm not sure how this ties in, well, off to finsh Ep2!

Is the portal commentry worth it?
Brotherhood of the Bear | HAB | Mess | SDnet archivist |
Shogoki
Jedi Knight

Post by Shogoki »

SylasGaunt wrote:I just finished Portal.

Why does everyone keep saying that? The cake is *NOT* a lie, the cake is certainly real, it's also moist and delicious.
Erik von Nein
Jedi Council Member

Post by Erik von Nein »

I thought Portal was freakin' hilarious and was the biggest reason to play it. The portal gun was fun to use, but there weren't too many "big" puzzles that were exceptionally difficult to figure out. In any event I hope it makes a return in future games. Or, at least GLaDOS does. Hah.

I would have invited your campanion cube, but you murdered it.
"To make an apple pie from scratch you must first invent the universe."
— Carl Sagan

Hamel
Sith Marauder

Post by Hamel »

I notice that none of the OJ Box games support dual core like they were supposed to. That is very MC Hammerish. I don't appreciate that shizniat.

Did you know that the end of Episode 2 made me feel down in the dumps? Bet you didn't. Just get there and see why. Are we looking at another 1 1/2 years for Episode 3?
"Right now we can tell you a report was filed by the family of a 12 year old boy yesterday afternoon alleging Mr. Michael Jackson of criminal activity. A search warrant has been filed and that search is currently taking place. Mr. Jackson has not been charged with any crime. We cannot specifically address the content of the police report as it is confidential information at the present time, however, we can confirm that Mr. Jackson forced the boy to listen to the Howard Stern show and watch the movie Private Parts over and over again."
Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

Erik von Nein wrote:In any event I hope it makes a return in future games. Or, at least GLaDOS does. Hah.

I would have invited your campanion cube, but you murdered it.
GLaDOS had some excellent lines, all through the game. That one was a good 'un - the Aperture Science Weighted Companion Cube thing was classic. Though GLaDOS wasn't the only one with good lines - The Vortigaunt had some good ones as well: 'No pit is complete without a Freeman climbing out of it!'.

Did anyone else get a big laugh out of Uriah? :)
Did you know that the end of Episode 2 made me feel down in the dumps? Bet you didn't. Just get there and see why.
Yeah. I mean, wow.
Are we looking at another 1 1/2 years for Episode 3?
I hope not. While EP1's cliffhanger was shinier, this one is nasty.
What is Project Zohar?

Here's to a certain mostly harmless nutcase.
Jaepheth
Jedi Master

Post by Jaepheth »

Anyone see this Easter Egg:

you can goto www.aperturescience.com and login using that

some funny stuff there.
Children of the Ancients
I'm sorry, but the number you have dialed is imaginary. Please rotate the phone by 90 degrees and try again.
Erik von Nein
Jedi Council Member

Post by Erik von Nein »

I can't read that. What's the login?
"To make an apple pie from scratch you must first invent the universe."
— Carl Sagan

JLTucker
BANNED

Post by JLTucker »

Username: cjohnson
password: tier3
Hotfoot

Post by Hotfoot »

I have nothing to do with Aperature Science. That is all.

Damnit, who found out my login?
Do not meddle in the affairs of insomniacs, for they are cranky and can do things to you while you sleep.
The Realm of Confusion
"Every time you talk about Teal'c, I keep imagining Thor's ass. Thank you very much for that, you fucking fucker." -Marcao
SG-14: Because in some cases, "Recon" means "Blow up a fucking planet or die trying."
SilCore Wiki! Come take a look!
2000AD
Emperor's Hand

Post by 2000AD »

Wow, episode 2 is waaaaaaaay better than episode 1, and definately has one of the coolest Half Life moments in it:

"Doctor Freeeeeemaaaan"
Ph34r teh eyebrow!!11!Writers Guild Sluggite Pawn of Chaos WYGIWYGAINGW so now i have to put ACPATHNTDWATGODW in my sig EBC-Honorary Geordie
Hammerman! Hammer!
Alan Bolte
Sith Devotee

Post by Alan Bolte »

How does lying about your favorite color feel?
02] Not sorry
Any job worth doing with a laser is worth doing with many, many lasers. -Khrima
There's just no arguing with some people once they've made their minds up about something, and I accept that. That's why I kill them. -Othar
Nephtys
Sith Acolyte

Post by Nephtys »

BFF.
Braedley
Jedi Council Member

Post by Braedley »

Nephtys wrote:Image
BFF.
I miss my weighted companion cube. It's really tragic that I had to kill it.
My brother and sister-in-law: "Do you know where milk comes from?"
My niece: "Yeah, from the fridge!"
Braedley
Jedi Council Member

Post by Braedley »

Just finished Ep 2 a little under an hour ago (I was going through one of the commentary levels). That was some ending, although I do not enjoy having my emotions go from pretty much the highest of highs to the lowest of lows (in terms of the game) in the course of 5 minutes
My brother and sister-in-law: "Do you know where milk comes from?"
My niece: "Yeah, from the fridge!"
Covenant
Sith Marauder

Post by Covenant »

Braedley wrote:
BFF.
Sadly, I didn't feel much of anything when I dumped my cube off. It wasn't like we'd been on epic adventures. I figured the Weighted Companion Cube would play a role throughout the entire game and that it would be an inseperable component of me and my portal gun. But instead they did a lot of other stuff without it! That's silly! ;D
SylasGaunt
Sith Acolyte

Post by SylasGaunt »

Yeah but the only reason you couldn't go on epic adventures with it was because you MURDERED IT YOU SICK BASTARD! *goes to cry in a corner*
Nephtys
Sith Acolyte

Post by Nephtys »

TBH, I knew of the cube before I played. And suspected it would die a bad end. I thought you'd have to kill the cube to beat the end of the game or something, but nope. It was only halfway through. :/
Molyneux
Emperor's Hand

Post by Molyneux »

Nephtys wrote:TBH, I knew of the cube before I played. And suspected it would die a bad end. I thought you'd have to kill the cube to beat the end of the game or something, but nope. It was only halfway through. :/
Oh, for the love of...
Small-text the spoilers, please?
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Covenant
Sith Marauder

Post by Covenant »

Molyneux wrote:
Nephtys wrote:TBH, I knew of the cube before I played. And suspected it would die a bad end. I thought you'd have to kill the cube to beat the end of the game or something, but nope. It was only halfway through. :/
Oh, for the love of...
Trust me, if you are expecting anything, you're not supposed to. For anyone thinking they're trying not to spoilerize themselves about the Cube, the cube is only there for one single puzzle and it's the same as any of the other cubes--of which you see several--except it has a pink heart on it.

Yes, I'm spoiling it. Because there's nothing to spoil. On several puzzles, you get a cube to use to push buttons with. In one level, the cube is a Weighted Companion Cube instead. There's nothing about it that is different.

The only way you could think that's a spoiler is if you expect some kind of a plotline revolving the cube, which you would only expect if you've already been spoiled about the fact that you lose the cube. You lose ALL your cubes. You NEVER can take them with you. EVERY puzzle has a forcefield anyway--only you and the gun can come through it. I tried to take a turret with me once as a companion, but nope, it just got evaporated when I tried.

So it's not like you could be on a mission with the cube right now and going "It dies!? WTF, spoilertags douchebag!" It's like saying "Jek Porkins Dies." That's not a spoiler. :P
Andrew_Fireborn
Jedi Knight

Post by Andrew_Fireborn »

Aye, although the related lines about said cube add a fair deal of awesome to the game.

The puzzles aren't terribly brain twisty on the storyline. Although they do work in a fair bit of timing on most of them. Most of the last half of the game boils down to looking for patches that can be portaled... rather than devious use of said portals.

Still, the comedy in the game is brilliant. At the very end, I couldn't decide which direction the voice was messing with me in for a good minute. It reversed its psychology about six times in that space.
Portals theme wrote:We do what we must, because we can.
For the good of all of us,
-Except the ones who are dead.

But there's no sense crying over every mistake,
You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.
And the science gets done,
and you make a neat gun,
for the people who are still alive.
:D
Rule one of Existance: Never, under any circumstances, underestimate stupidity. As it will still find ways to surprise you.
Molyneux
Emperor's Hand

Post by Molyneux »

Covenant wrote:
Molyneux wrote:
Oh, for the love of...
Trust me, if you are expecting anything, you're not supposed to. For anyone thinking they're trying not to spoilerize themselves about the Cube, the cube is only there for one single puzzle and it's the same as any of the other cubes--of which you see several--except it has a pink heart on it.

Yes, I'm spoiling it. Because there's nothing to spoil. On several puzzles, you get a cube to use to push buttons with. In one level, the cube is a Weighted Companion Cube instead. There's nothing about it that is different.

The only way you could think that's a spoiler is if you expect some kind of a plotline revolving the cube, which you would only expect if you've already been spoiled about the fact that you lose the cube. You lose ALL your cubes. You NEVER can take them with you. EVERY puzzle has a forcefield anyway--only you and the gun can come through it. I tried to take a turret with me once as a companion, but nope, it just got evaporated when I tried.

So it's not like you could be on a mission with the cube right now and going "It dies!? WTF, spoilertags douchebag!" It's like saying "Jek Porkins Dies." That's not a spoiler. :P
Ah. I thought the "companion cube" was a reference to all the people who took the cube from the first level all the way through Narbacular Drop, and that there was only one cube in Portal, which you brought with you through most of the game.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Covenant
Sith Marauder

Post by Covenant »

Molyneux wrote:Ah. I thought the "companion cube" was a reference to all the people who took the cube from the first level all the way through Narbacular Drop, and that there was only one cube in Portal, which you brought with you through most of the game.
Yeah, that's why I made my little declaration. Narb and Portal are made by the same guys, but I can't even take my cube with me through the elevators!

And when I did play portal, after being slightly spoilered about the Companion Cube, I was totally let down, since I was expecting it to be my boon companion through thick-and-thin, only to suffer a heartbreaking end... when, in reality, it seems like the only reason anyone makes note of the Companion Cube at all is because someone else did.

If I hadn't been spoilered, I would have been suprised to find anyone care about the cube, but it would have been more chuckle-worthy. As it was, I was always hoping for the cube to burst through the wall and save me from a monster. Nope!

Maybe in the next game. I'd love to see a Gordon Freeman Wormhole gun, combining the gravity gun AND the portal gun, in which you do get a companion cube that follows you through the entire game. ;D
Jaepheth
Jedi Master

Post by Jaepheth »

Hopefully there'll be a companion cube mod where you do get just the one cube in the beginning and have to take it with you throughout the game, and have it speak to you and such.
Children of the Ancients
I'm sorry, but the number you have dialed is imaginary. Please rotate the phone by 90 degrees and try again.
Uraniun235
Emperor's Hand

Post by Uraniun235 »

Braedley wrote:
BFF.
*uncontrollable sobbing*
"There is no "taboo" on using nuclear weapons." -Julhelm
What is Project Zohar?
"On a serious note (well not really) I did sometimes jump in and rate nBSG episodes a '5' before the episode even aired or I saw it." - RogueIce explaining that episode ratings on SDN tv show threads are bunk