BluRay won't downsample on analog HDTV

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Hamel
Sith Marauder

BluRay won't downsample on analog HDTV

Post by Hamel »

Ars
part of the news item wrote:Sony is the first studio to lay out its plans for how owners of older, analog-only HD sets would be able to watch Blu-ray content. According to Sony Pictures Home Entertainment Senior VP Don Eklund, none of Sony's Blu-ray releases for the "foreseeable future" will use ICT to force downsampling.

"We have no plan to implement the Image Constraint Token. All of Sony's titles will come out of the analog output at full definition"
I take it Vista will still neuter HD video through non-HDCP monitors?
"Right now we can tell you a report was filed by the family of a 12 year old boy yesterday afternoon alleging Mr. Michael Jackson of criminal activity. A search warrant has been filed and that search is currently taking place. Mr. Jackson has not been charged with any crime. We cannot specifically address the content of the police report as it is confidential information at the present time, however, we can confirm that Mr. Jackson forced the boy to listen to the Howard Stern show and watch the movie Private Parts over and over again."
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

Downsampling is an optional part of AACS, and Sony Pictures does not seem to be using it (that said, someone else releasing content on BD-ROM could). Presumably that would mean that Vista would display that information at full resolution on legacy equipment.
Praxis
Sith Acolyte

Post by Praxis »

Whew, finally good news.

Hope other studios follow.
HRogge
Jedi Master

Post by HRogge »

Don't forget they can switch on the flag later with an update...

so there will be no downsampling NOW...
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
---------
Honorary member of the Rhodanites
Praxis
Sith Acolyte

Post by Praxis »

HRogge wrote:Don't forget they can switch on the flag later with an update...

so there will be no downsampling NOW...
That's why I said, "hope other studios follow". Hopefully it becomes a trend, not an exception.
HRogge
Jedi Master

Post by HRogge »

Praxis wrote:That's why I said, "hope other studios follow". Hopefully it becomes a trend, not an exception.
I think Sony plans to get customers by applying less restrictions... a few years later they will "cry about the horrible copy pirates using their feature" and switch it off.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
---------
Wicked Pilot
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Wicked Pilot »

Can someone please explain this to the HDTV illiterates like myself.
The most basic assumption about the world is that it does not contradict itself.
Praxis
Sith Acolyte

Post by Praxis »

Wicked Pilot wrote:Can someone please explain this to the HDTV illiterates like myself.

The early HDTV's to come out didn't support digital input and copy protection, so Blu-ray and HD-DVD give producers three options.

1) Their disks can run fine on analog HDTV's.
2) Since there's no copy protection, it will reduce resolution to 540p (barely above regular TV with progressive)
or
3) it won't play at all on analog TV's

Most were expected to do #2, restricted resolution on analog HDTV's. Sony isn't on their movies.
HRogge
Jedi Master

Post by HRogge »

Okay...

HDTV (high definition TV) might be the next generation of TV. It has a much higher resolution (up to 1920x1024 pixel) so the images should be better.

But the video industry decided that there are too many video pirates out there to let standard HDTV screens watch their movies, so they use a lot of encryption and content "protection" systems on the next generation DVDs (called HD-DVD and Blueray-Disk).

They can prevent you from
- copying the movie
- seeing it on a computer with a special OS (Windows Vista might be the first one), a special video-card (which supports encrypted video signals) and a special display (which supports encrypted input)
- seeing it on an analog TV screen (even HDTV) in full resolution
- seeing it on an analog TV screen at all
and some other things.

Sony just said they will let you watch it on analog HDTV screens (all HDTV screens sold 2005 and before) in full resolution.

But the update feature of their new "content protection" can switch this feature off at any time, they will just place the necessary data on their future HD-DVDs/Blueray-Disks and your player will revoke the "you may see the old disks in full resolution" feature at once and for all.
---------
Oline61
Redshirt

Post by Oline61 »

Inevitably the analog downsample flag will get turned on. But consumers, always 1 step ahead of evil corporations will create devices to strip the protection from HDCP signals and then full digital copies will be possible. That way studios will end up worse off than they would be if they left analog output at full resolution.
HRogge
Jedi Master

Post by HRogge »

Oline61 wrote:Inevitably the analog downsample flag will get turned on. But consumers, always 1 step ahead of evil corporations will create devices to strip the protection from HDCP signals and then full digital copies will be possible. That way studios will end up worse off than they would be if they left analog output at full resolution.
Not without breaking the AES encryption key... and they can revoke keys with updates on new disks.
---------
Praxis
Sith Acolyte

Post by Praxis »

Yup, HDCP is pretty difficult to crack, especially since they update the keys if a device is being used for copying to block that device.
Kazuaki Shimazaki
Jedi Council Member

Post by Kazuaki Shimazaki »

Naw, what would probably happen is that they would buy one legitimate player. There will be a brief area in which the image has to come out in all its unencrypted, undowngraded glory, and they tap off that and make their discs, and make a killing from angry customers.
HRogge
Jedi Master

Post by HRogge »

Kazuaki Shimazaki wrote:Naw, what would probably happen is that they would buy one legitimate player. There will be a brief area in which the image has to come out in all its unencrypted, undowngraded glory, and they tap off that and make their discs, and make a killing from angry customers.
Unlikely...HDCP encryption is built on the fact that the decrypted data never leaves the chip.

Only in the display device the decoded data is transmitted to the screen, but this might be display specific data.
---------
Netko
Jedi Council Member

Post by Netko »

Thing is, the keys will likely not be individual player only. So while turning off the key is possible, as soon as it happens to a best selling model (which likely has a single key thruout the line, a couple at most), the studios can either kill the key, thus facing a massive consumer backlash or just pretend everything is A-OK and make the protection as irrelevant as the DVD protecton was. The protection mesures are not intended to stop professional criminal copying anyway.
Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

I'm looking forward to see how Australia deals with these new technologies. When the Entertainment Industry attempted to region code Australia, they told them to go sod off and Australia is regionless. I wouldn't be surprised that the Entertainment industry will be forced to create indepdent hardware for Austraila. And then Austrailian online companies will make a shitload of money selling back to the US.
"If the facts are on your side, pound on the facts. If the law is on your side, pound on the law. If neither is on your side, pound on the table."

"The captain claimed our people violated a 4,000 year old treaty forbidding us to develop hyperspace technology. Extermination of our planet was the consequence. The subject did not survive interrogation."
Oline61
Redshirt

Post by Oline61 »

HRogge wrote:Not without breaking the AES encryption key... and they can revoke keys with updates on new disks.
That sucks. I'm sure it will be cracked, but sounds like a pain and a lot of work. If I am unable to make backup copies of these discs I will NOT buy them. But I will still acquire high definition versions of the movies :twisted:.
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

Oline61 wrote:That sucks. I'm sure it will be cracked, but sounds like a pain and a lot of work. If I am unable to make backup copies of these discs I will NOT buy them. But I will still acquire high definition versions of the movies :twisted:.
It currently looks like you'll need a hardware device to strip out HDCP over the HDMI connector.
Xon
Sith Acolyte

Post by Xon »

HRogge wrote:Unlikely...HDCP encryption is built on the fact that the decrypted data never leaves the chip.

Only in the display device the decoded data is transmitted to the screen, but this might be display specific data.
The pure unencrypted digital signal is transmited from the HDCP decrypting device to the actual screen's decoded via some wires. They arent a single hardwired device.

Anyone with enough knowhow and a little money can insert a something to capture the unencrpyted signal.
"Okay, I'll have the truth with a side order of clarity." ~ Dr. Daniel Jackson.
"Reality has a well-known liberal bias." ~ Stephen Colbert
"One Drive, One Partition, the One True Path" ~ ars technica forums - warrens - on hhd partitioning schemes.
HRogge
Jedi Master

Post by HRogge »

No... A LCD (or plasma) screen cannot understand standard digital video signals... they just built the decoding processor and the one that transform it into monitor specific controlling signals into one chip.
---------
Xon
Sith Acolyte

Post by Xon »

HRogge wrote:No... A LCD (or plasma) screen cannot understand standard digital video signals... they just built the decoding processor and the one that transform it into monitor specific controlling signals into one chip.
My point is they are not on the single chip. Vastly too costly todo so
"Okay, I'll have the truth with a side order of clarity." ~ Dr. Daniel Jackson.
"Reality has a well-known liberal bias." ~ Stephen Colbert
"One Drive, One Partition, the One True Path" ~ ars technica forums - warrens - on hhd partitioning schemes.
HRogge
Jedi Master

Post by HRogge »

Xon wrote:My point is they are not on the single chip. Vastly too costly todo so
We will see... it's not that difficult to pack both functions in one chip today.
---------
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

HRogge wrote:No... A LCD (or plasma) screen cannot understand standard digital video signals... they just built the decoding processor and the one that transform it into monitor specific controlling signals into one chip.
You could dump the signal back to HDMI, which IIRC is a modification of the DVI signalling standard.
Vertigo1
Defender of the Night

Post by Vertigo1 »

phongn wrote:
You could dump the signal back to HDMI, which IIRC is a modification of the DVI signalling standard.
Correct, which is why you can buy DVI -> HDMI cables......for a fucking PREMIUM!
"I once asked Rebecca to sing Happy Birthday to me during sex. That was funny, especially since I timed my thrusts to sync up with the words. And yes, it was my birthday." - Darth Wong

Leader of the SD.Net Gargoyle Clan | Spacebattles Firstone | Twitter
HRogge
Jedi Master

Post by HRogge »

Vertigo1 wrote:Correct, which is why you can buy DVI -> HDMI cables......for a fucking PREMIUM!
And they work because the receiver of an HDMI slot does not require the input being encrypted... it can handle it with and without encryption.

But when the transmitter requests encryption, it will not send until the other side agreed to "encryption only".
---------