Everquest

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

mjn6172
Padawan Learner

Everquest

Post by mjn6172 »

I've been getting an itch to play a MMORPG again. I played WoW for about 6 months but it just couldn't hold my interest. Eve Online got boring pretty quickly too, I didn't subscribe after the 14 day trial I had of it. City of Heroes just doesn't seem to fill it. I'm thinking of going back to Everquest again. I played it for ~6 years if I remember right (from the summer it came out until about a year and a half ago), but I'm a little hesitant about going back into it.

Does anyone here still play? What's the current state of the game? I know they merged the servers sometime last year, but that's about all I've heard since I left. Also, has anything interesting been added in the expansions? From looking at the information on the latest version, they've added Dragons of Norrath, Omens of War, and Depths of Darkhollow since I left.

Heck, maybe if we get enough people interested in this we could get a regular group together. I'm pretty sure my old guild (The Drunken Fishermen) disbanded after I left.
Clever and witty signature to be inserted here, just as soon as I think of one.
Haminal10
Padawan Learner

Post by Haminal10 »

I started playing again last year. I'm a lvl 55 Palidin on Tunare/E'ci by the name of Ulriqe.

As to the state of the game:
-Everquest is a very mature game, so the majority of their player base is in the higher lvls. Many of the lower lvl charactors that you will see running around are alts, and are twinked to high hell.
-Many of the zones that were popular when I played five years ago are pretty much devoid of life, and you will have them to yourself. The reason for this is that some of the best experience can be found in instanced zones. .You could in theory go from level 20-70 and not fight in a non-instanced zone.
-Because so much of the player base is high level, much of the new content is catered to them. If you start playing, I would advise you to grind to level 40 so that you can experience it.

That being said, I still have a blast playing. Sony is still releasing regular patches and new content, so you don;t have to worry about support suddenly drying up. I plan on playing until I hit 70, or if I get bored. Neither one has happened yet :wink:
"If brute force is not solving your problems, you are obviously not using enough"
-Common Imperial Guard saying

"Scripture also says 'Render unto Caesar what Caesar demands.' And right now, Caesar demands a building permit,"
-County Commisioner Mike Whitehead to Dr. Dino
Jaepheth
Jedi Master

Post by Jaepheth »

I play Silkroad (Aege server)when I have enough time.
Children of the Ancients
I'm sorry, but the number you have dialed is imaginary. Please rotate the phone by 90 degrees and try again.
Stormin
Jedi Knight

Post by Stormin »

If you are looking for pure PvE, EQ2 will have fewer expansions worth of stuff to work through. If you like some PvP with very little actual risk you can try out DAoC on classic servers.
mjn6172
Padawan Learner

Post by mjn6172 »

I've heard of Silkroad before, but I haven't really checked it out. Naturally it's blocked here at work, but I'll look into that when I get home.

I've tried DAoC a few times over the years, but it's never held my interest for more than a month or two. I remember that I liked the way their tradeskills work (particularly the training quests), but most of the rest of the game was just too bland. EQ2 might be another alternative, I've never tried that one.

What sort of instances are popular now in EQ? I remember LDoN's could be done pretty quickly and were very good experience back when I played, are there any other ones available for lower level players?

Thank you for the good information, keep it coming :)
Clever and witty signature to be inserted here, just as soon as I think of one.
Stormin
Jedi Knight

Post by Stormin »

mjn6172 wrote:I've tried DAoC a few times over the years, but it's never held my interest for more than a month or two. I remember that I liked the way their tradeskills work (particularly the training quests), but most of the rest of the game was just too bland.

Are you sure you have the right game? Tradeskilling is simply pushing a button, watching a green line move while waiting for a ding then pushing it again, it's the worst aspect of the game by far :lol:
If you are talking about dark age, have you tried since the classic servers came out? Allowing any account with a Level 50 on it to start new characters at level 20 was one of the worst ideas ever but there is no /level, out of group buffing or ToA on classics.
FSTargetDrone
Emperor's Hand

Post by FSTargetDrone »

Haminal10 wrote:I started playing again last year. I'm a lvl 55 Palidin on Tunare/E'ci by the name of Ulriqe.

As to the state of the game:
-Everquest is a very mature game, so the majority of their player base is in the higher lvls. Many of the lower lvl charactors that you will see running around are alts, and are twinked to high hell.
-Many of the zones that were popular when I played five years ago are pretty much devoid of life, and you will have them to yourself. The reason for this is that some of the best experience can be found in instanced zones. .You could in theory go from level 20-70 and not fight in a non-instanced zone.
-Because so much of the player base is high level, much of the new content is catered to them. If you start playing, I would advise you to grind to level 40 so that you can experience it.

That being said, I still have a blast playing. Sony is still releasing regular patches and new content, so you don;t have to worry about support suddenly drying up. I plan on playing until I hit 70, or if I get bored. Neither one has happened yet :wink:
Hail fellow Tunarean.

I haven't played since before the mergers. One thing though, have single-player instances been implemented? I'd heard some time ago, well over a year, year and a half now, that solo instances were going to happen, but I haven't kept up.

EQ, last I saw, had lots of emptiness. Most of my EQ buddies went to WoW, but I'm just not as into WoW much lately.