R520 benchs

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

SPOOFE
Sith Devotee

Post by SPOOFE »

Where's that from?
The Great and Malignant
The Kernel
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Kernel »

Ace Pace wrote:
ATI claims it still hasn’t sent a single R520XT board to any of its partners. The Radeon X1800XT is getting ready and the first batch of the card is produced but not even the big OEMs have these cards.
Sorry, but that is horseshit if they are planning on launching first week in October. Hell, if they were launching in November the partners would still have samples by now. This response from ATI pretty much confirms that the benches are legitamate rather than discredits them.
Dahak
Emperor's Hand

Post by Dahak »

The Kernel wrote:
Ace Pace wrote:
ATI claims it still hasn’t sent a single R520XT board to any of its partners. The Radeon X1800XT is getting ready and the first batch of the card is produced but not even the big OEMs have these cards.
Sorry, but that is horseshit if they are planning on launching first week in October. Hell, if they were launching in November the partners would still have samples by now. This response from ATI pretty much confirms that the benches are legitamate rather than discredits them.
And you know this...why?
It may be only ATI, but I don't see why one should ignore that statement.
Great Dolphin Conspiracy - Chatter box
"Implications: we have been intercepted deliberately by a means unknown, for a purpose unknown, and transferred to a place unknown by a form of intelligence unknown. Apart from the unknown, everything is obvious." ZORAC
GALE Force Euro Wimp
Human dignity shall be inviolable. To respect and protect it shall be the duty of all state authority.
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Post by Master of Ossus »

The Kernel wrote:
Ace Pace wrote:
It could just be that they're not actually going to release them in mid-October. It's not like this industry hasn't done "phantom launches" before.
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

Latinum Star Recipient; Hacker's Cross Award Winner

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away."
The Kernel
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Kernel »

Dahak wrote: And you know this...why?
It may be only ATI, but I don't see why one should ignore that statement.
Because I've worked in this business before and I know how far in advance board partners get chips.
The Kernel
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Kernel »

Master of Ossus wrote: It could just be that they're not actually going to release them in mid-October. It's not like this industry hasn't done "phantom launches" before.
Possible but unlikely. All the information points to an availibility of hardware on the day of the launch. ATI has to do this as nVidia did the same thing when they released the G70 and ATI can't afford a paper launch at this point.
SPOOFE
Sith Devotee

Post by SPOOFE »

Looks like The Kernel is right: Maybe Hardware Analysis has more grudge than fact after all.

Which is, of course, encouraging that ATI won't have a flop product... discouraging that HA would falsify benchmarks just to slam a company.

Oh well. Still waitin' for release...
The Great and Malignant
The Kernel
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Kernel »

SPOOFE wrote:Looks like The Kernel is right: Maybe Hardware Analysis has more grudge than fact after all.

Which is, of course, encouraging that ATI won't have a flop product... discouraging that HA would falsify benchmarks just to slam a company.

Oh well. Still waitin' for release...
This is unusual, why would ATI lie about the availibilty of chips to partners (which even the second tier websites already getting review samples) if the benchmarks were bogus? Something is going on that we don't know.
Arthur_Tuxedo
Sith Acolyte

Post by Arthur_Tuxedo »

Phony benchmarks strikes me as a very stupid and ineffectual way to exact revenge on a manufacturer. Once the real product comes out and the benches are shown to be bogus, the manufacturer is not hurt at all, while the website loses all credibility.
"I'm so fast that last night I turned off the light switch in my hotel room and was in bed before the room was dark." - Muhammad Ali

"Dating is not supposed to be easy. It's supposed to be a heart-pounding, stomach-wrenching, gut-churning exercise in pitting your fear of rejection and public humiliation against your desire to find a mate. Enjoy." - Darth Wong
SPOOFE
Sith Devotee

Post by SPOOFE »

Heh, this all just tells me how much of a mess things are. I don't know if it means ATI is in trouble in the long-term, but it sure is giving their rep a tarnish in the short-term.

Wait wait wait... if they miss their October date, they're really in trouble.
The Great and Malignant
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

SPOOFE wrote: Wait wait wait... if they miss their October date, they're really in trouble.
They can BS for a month prehaps two but longer than that(December 1st) and then we are looking at a serious credibility hit. The last thing we want is a graphics monopoly(Discarding Intel),

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Post by Master of Ossus »

Mr Bean wrote:
SPOOFE wrote: Wait wait wait... if they miss their October date, they're really in trouble.
They can BS for a month prehaps two but longer than that(December 1st) and then we are looking at a serious credibility hit. The last thing we want is a graphics monopoly(Discarding Intel),
If ATI can't get the card on shelves by December then they'll be in real trouble since lots of people buy new games and the latest in computers before Christmas.
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

Latinum Star Recipient; Hacker's Cross Award Winner

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away."
The Kernel
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Kernel »

Master of Ossus wrote:
Mr Bean wrote:
If ATI can't get the card on shelves by December then they'll be in real trouble since lots of people buy new games and the latest in computers before Christmas.
This is pretty much a moot point, the major tech websites just went under NDA which means that they either have, or are about to get working hardware.

One possibility is that the yields on the 1800XT variant are crap right now which means it might have a phantom launch, whereas the rest of the lineup will see volume.
Ace Pace
Hardware Lover

Post by Ace Pace »

Beyond3d.com mentioned NDA going down latest at October 10th, so we should be looking at reviews around that date.
Brotherhood of the Bear | HAB | Mess | SDnet archivist |
The Kernel
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Kernel »

Just to add more fuel to this fire, The Inquirer has a link to some benchmarks with nVidia's new leaked Det 81 drivers. They provide some huge performance gains (15-20% in most games) which is going to be yet another hit against ATI. At this point ATI's going to have a hard time reaching nVidia's level of performance on a 16 pipe design now that the 7xxx series has a mature driver set.

Even catching up to the original 7xxx performance would have been difficult, but with a 15-20% performance advantage? Not likley.
SPOOFE
Sith Devotee

Post by SPOOFE »

Cool and all... too bad they had to go with a dual slot solution, but it is sort of a poetic justice/irony thing (considering all the flack the 5800 series got for its dustbuster)... but if the performance is there (emphasis on "if"), then who cares, right? Except for maybe SFF owners...

Wa-a-a-a-aitin' for be-e-e-enches....
The Great and Malignant
Ace Pace
Hardware Lover

Post by Ace Pace »

True, very much as the Inq said, nVidia replayed the GF3 situation.

Did I mention the X1800XT looks noisy as hell?
Ace Pace
Hardware Lover

Post by Ace Pace »

Hey, duel slot got markedly better since the 58, but this is still looking ugly.

Anyone notice that 512MB is max? No room on the back side for more.
Faram
Bastard Operator from Hell

Post by Faram »

Two threads merged

~Faram
[img=right]http://hem.bredband.net/b217293/warsaban.gif[/img]

"Either God wants to abolish evil, and cannot; or he can, but does not want to. ... If he wants to, but cannot, he is impotent. If he can, but does not want to, he is wicked. ... If, as they say, God can abolish evil, and God really wants to do it, why is there evil in the world?" -Epicurus

Fear is the mother of all gods.

Nature does all things spontaneously, by herself, without the meddling of the gods. -Lucretius