Sony goes batshit insane

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Sony goes batshit insane

Post by Mr Bean »

Now introducing along with the propritary formats, the standard war that Sony wants to fight and recent other gaffs. Sony has just annouced that the Playstation III will not ship with a hard drive, though a hard drive is manditory to play games or access the extra console features

http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000833046205/
So we heard grumblings of this last week, and now we’ve got it straight from the Kutaragi’s mouth, plus a few other interesting details. The PlayStation 3 won’t be coming with an internal hard drive, because “no matter how much [capacity] we put in it, it won’t be enough.” Glossing over for the moment the curious logic of imagining zero capacity is somehow better than “not enough,” we move on to the news that there will likely be at least several add-on HDD options available, both locally in a 2.5-inch drive bay and in the form of some sort of network drive.
On the plus side the console will be running on Linux

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Dalton
For Those About to Rock We Salute You
For Those About to Rock We Salute You

Post by Dalton »

Are you kidding? That's the dumbest fucking move I've ever seen.
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Grim Squeaker »

At least this will make the Revoloution more competitive in terms of memory :wink:
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

Hmm this sucks. Mucho bad news for all the consoles lately. If that keeps up, I'll probably stick to my (usually) trusty PC
Darksider
Sith Acolyte

Post by Darksider »

That entry was written by someone anonymously.

Is this reliable?

If it is, I think I'll stick with Revolution or 360
And this is why you don't watch anything produced by Ronald D. Moore after he had his brain surgically removed and replaced with a bag of elephant semen.-Gramzamber, on why Caprica sucks
Xon
Sith Acolyte

Post by Xon »

A large part of how Microsoft got to be a software giant is due to the terminal stupidity of their competition.

Looks like that axiom will hold true for the next generation of consoles.
"Okay, I'll have the truth with a side order of clarity." ~ Dr. Daniel Jackson.
"Reality has a well-known liberal bias." ~ Stephen Colbert
"One Drive, One Partition, the One True Path" ~ ars technica forums - warrens - on hhd partitioning schemes.
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Darksider wrote:That entry was written by someone anonymously.

Is this reliable?

If it is, I think I'll stick with Revolution or 360
Arse and Tomshardware confimred it so I say its good

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Post by Master of Ossus »

The drive is actually required to play games? Why don't they just ship the thing without controllers, while they're at it?
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

Latinum Star Recipient; Hacker's Cross Award Winner

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away."
HyperionX
Village Idiot

Post by HyperionX »

No next-gen constoles will ship with a HD. Not even the X360 despite what MS would like you to believe. Frankly, what's the big deal?
"Hey, genius, evolution isn't science. That's why its called a theory." -A Fundie named HeroofPellinor
"If it was a proven fact, there wouldn't be any controversy. That's why its called a 'Theory'"-CaptainChewbacca[img=left]http://www.jasoncoleman.net/wp-images/b ... irefox.png[/img][img=left]http://img296.imageshack.us/img296/4226 ... ll42ew.png[/img]
Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

No next-gen constoles will ship with a HD. Not even the X360 despite what MS would like you to believe. Frankly, what's the big deal?
The other consoles don't require a HD to play games, the PS3 does.
HyperionX
Village Idiot

Post by HyperionX »

Bounty wrote:
Then you're smoking crack, and so is everyone who claims the same. Seeing this has never been claimed directly by Sony or anyone credible this is just not likely at all.
"Hey, genius, evolution isn't science. That's why its called a theory." -A Fundie named HeroofPellinor
"If it was a proven fact, there wouldn't be any controversy. That's why its called a 'Theory'"-CaptainChewbacca[img=left]http://www.jasoncoleman.net/wp-images/b ... irefox.png[/img][img=left]http://img296.imageshack.us/img296/4226 ... ll42ew.png[/img]
SirNitram
Rest in Peace, Black Mage

Post by SirNitram »

Bounty wrote:
Source?
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

Debator Classification: Trollhunter
FedRebel
Jedi Master

Post by FedRebel »

He might be refering to this statement from the link in the OP
Furthermore, the (optional/add-on yet curiously mandatory) hard drive will run some sort of operating system,
Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

HyperionX wrote:
Bounty wrote:
Then you're smoking crack, and so is everyone who claims the same. Seeing this has never been claimed directly by Sony or anyone credible this is just not likely at all.
In the OP :
Sony has just annouced that the Playstation III will not ship with a hard drive, though a hard drive is manditory to play games or access the extra console features
EDIT : though it isn't backed up in the article :?

I retract my words, then.
Xon
Sith Acolyte

Post by Xon »

HyperionX wrote:No next-gen constoles will ship with a HD. Not even the X360 despite what MS would like you to believe. Frankly, what's the big deal?
By default it has a detachable 20gb harddrive. Or so I read from the stats which were released as well as leaked.
"One Drive, One Partition, the One True Path" ~ ars technica forums - warrens - on hhd partitioning schemes.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

ggs wrote:By default it has a detachable 20gb harddrive. Or so I read from the stats which were released as well as leaked.
It won't come with that though, you'll have to buy it extra.

Checking the article, there's nothing that says that the hard drive will be required for games, just for any other operating systems (and Kutaragi seems to mean any other operating systems, though how that will bear out in Real Life, we shall see)
Last edited by Vendetta on 2005-06-11 02:21pm, edited 1 time in total.
DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

Fools, of course you have to buy periphial hardware to play the games. Don't you remember? The PS3 isn't a gaming machine! :P
Mayabird is my girlfriend
Justice League:BotM:MM:SDnet City Watch:Cybertron's Finest
"Well then, science is bullshit. "
-revprez, with yet another brilliant rebuttal.
SPOOFE
Sith Devotee

Post by SPOOFE »

Maybe this is an effort on Sony's part to really push their Memory Stick. :roll:
The Great and Malignant
Xon
Sith Acolyte

Post by Xon »

Vendetta wrote:
ggs wrote:By default it has a detachable 20gb harddrive. Or so I read from the stats which were released as well as leaked.
It won't come with that though, you'll have to buy it extra.

Checking the article, there's nothing that says that the hard drive will be required for games, just for any other operating systems (and Kutaragi seems to mean any other operating systems, though how that will bear out in Real Life, we shall see)
Read who I'm replying to.

The Xbox360 comes with a detachable harddrive as standard. The PS3 requires it as an addon.
HyperionX
Village Idiot

Post by HyperionX »

ggs wrote:Read who I'm replying to.

The Xbox360 comes with a detachable harddrive as standard. The PS3 requires it as an addon.
Several rumor sites and people who are not directly connected to MS have claimed that, but to my knowledge MS has not itself claimed so.
Mopeyennuui
Padawan Learner

Post by Mopeyennuui »

Well a year after release the PS3 might use large capacity memory.. what those called? Damn memory.
Xon
Sith Acolyte

Post by Xon »

HyperionX wrote:

Several rumor sites and people who are not directly connected to MS have claimed that, but to my knowledge MS has not itself claimed so.
Would a quote from an ATI rep do then? linky
They have implemented compatibility purely through emulation (at the CPU level). It looks like emulation profiles for each game are going to be stored on the hard drive, and I imagine that a certain number will ship with the system. They already have the infrastructure to distribute more profiles via Live, and more and more can be made available online periodically
That would only be posible if a harddrive ships with the system.
Dooey Jo
Sith Devotee

Post by Dooey Jo »

Well, if they change the design a little, putting a handle where they have the disc reader, so you can open it and put in the discs then I'd buy it just for the sheer coolness of the PSGrill! Even if it came without a mandatory hard drive. :D
"Nippon ichi, bitches! Boing-boing."
Mai smote the demonic fires of heck...

Faker Ninjas invented ninjitsu
Praxis
Sith Acolyte

Post by Praxis »

Bounty wrote:

Wait wait wait.
No. Sony never said you have to have a HD to play games.

Just like the X360, the PS3 has an upgradeable HD. If you want a hard drive, buy a PS3 and buy the hard drive. If you don't, you can play games fine without it. The hard drive is for the multimedia features and for game updates.
Not exactly. This could easily refer to a hard drive bundle. Microsoft hasn't said whether the BASE MODEL has a hard drive or not.
HyperionX
Village Idiot

Post by HyperionX »

ggs wrote:
HyperionX wrote:

Would a quote from an ATI rep do then? linky
They have implemented compatibility purely through emulation (at the CPU level). It looks like emulation profiles for each game are going to be stored on the hard drive, and I imagine that a certain number will ship with the system. They already have the infrastructure to distribute more profiles via Live, and more and more can be made available online periodically
Yet he speaks as if he's only guessing. Frankly we've heard nothing directly from MS that they'll include a hard drive, and moreover the concept of a detachable HD is dubious, because that's going to be significantly more expensive than an internal HD. Not only that MS is not touting to high heaven their "included" HD advantage seeing how Sony isn't include one in theirs, which leads me to believe that it isn't include. Sorry, but there's pretty good circumstancial evidence that MS will not ship an HD with their console.