Games that NEED a manual - or at least had AWESOME ones.

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

IRG CommandoJoe
Sith Devotee

Post by IRG CommandoJoe »

Homeworld was my favorite manual, but as bad a game as it was, Force Commander had an amusing manual with Imperial regulations and embedded microchips or somesuch to make sure you read the manual. :lol:
Who's the more foolish, the fool or the fool who follows him? -Obi-Wan Kenobi

"In the unlikely event that someone comes here, hates everything we stand for, and then donates a big chunk of money anyway, I will thank him for his stupidity." -Darth Wong, Lord of the Sith

Proud member of the Brotherhood of the Monkey.
InnocentBystander
The Russian Circus

Post by InnocentBystander »

Graeme Dice wrote:
InnocentBystander wrote:I've always disliked Derek Smart, cudos to his programming and 3dgfx abilities, but I've felt, from reading his forums, he's not a nice guy.
He's also a lying SOB, who claims to have a PhD when it's nothing more than a piece of paper from a degree mill.
*shrug* I don't really care about that, he is just a big ass as far as I can tell. The concept of his games are fantastic, but unless you really devote a lot of time to learning the game, or are derek smart, it's just a pain in the ass to learn, plus the bugs and crap... I never did figure out how to transport people back up the the surface, or find a place where I could always find enemy warships to fight :(
Assassin X
BANNED

Post by Assassin X »

Command and Conqeur games.

For some reason like in Red Alert 2 in the manual you were told about combining certain units to make special units. Yet in game it never told you what units made what.
My E-mail is rchosen@visn.net
Psycho Smiley
Keeper of the Lore

Post by Psycho Smiley »

I always thought the manual for the gold version of the SNES' SimCity was a work of art. It wasn't often a non-RPG 'kid's' game came with a 100+ page, full color, smart-assed manual back then. Plus, it had tons of good info.
An Erisian Hymn:
Onward Christian Soldiers, / Onward Buddhist Priests.
Onward, Fruits of Islam, / Fight 'till you're deceased.
Fight your little battles, / Join in thickest fray;
For the Greater Glory / of Dis-cord-i-a!
Yah, yah, yah, / Yah-yah-yah-yah plfffffffft!
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman
Jedi Council Member

Post by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman »

MKSheppard wrote:The Eurofighter 2000 Version 2.0 manual; it's 300~ pages long, and it's
a very fun read; very fun, because it describes the Eurofighter itself
as well as the game mechanics...
Not to mention Total Air War manual, with all those interesting campaign stories (Eritrea, anyone?) and the article on F-22 itself worth an aviation magazine headline.

And of course, the original Sid Meier's Pirates! with interesting histories on the privateering era, and bios of some famous historical pirates.
Karza
Jedi Knight

Post by Karza »

Silent Storm (has anyone outside Finland and Russia even heard of that game?) had superb manual. Some background, but most importantly it covered absolutely everything in an easily readable form.

Jagged Alliance 2 had a good manual too. Informative and quite fun to read.

Ninja Gaiden (Xbox game, not those truly legendary NES games). As is typical for console action games, the manual isn't particularly good or even necessary, but a few lines in it truly make up for it. "If you can't take advantage of walls, you are not a true ninja." "Running over water isn't difficult for a ninja." And of course, the legendary words on the back of the cover: "Let your inner ninja loose."
"Death before dishonour" they say, but how much dishonour are we talking about exactly? I mean, I can handle a lot. I could fellate a smurf if the alternative was death.
- Dylan Moran
Grandmaster Jogurt
Jedi Council Member

Post by Grandmaster Jogurt »

I love the SimAnt manual... I was such an ant nut as a kid, and almost two thirds of that fat book is just info on ants. Nothing about the game, just fun facts...
Mitth
Youngling

Post by Mitth »

I love the One Must Fall: 2097 manual. Full of jokes from the people at Epic, and very helpful besides. I don't even have the game anymore, but I have the manual.
Tugging a rhythm to the vision that's in my head
Tugging a beat to the sight of you lying
So delighted with a new understanding
Something about a little evil that makes that
Unmistakable noise I was hearing
Unmistakable sound that I know so well
Spent and sighing with a look in your eye
Spent and sighing with a look on your face like

Sweet revelation, sweet surrender
sweet, sweet surrender
Surrender...
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

I don't know if it was 'cool' but Sub Command, you had to read the manual (online PDF IIRC). Falcon 4.0 as well.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
The Dark
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Dark »

Jane's Fighters Anthology. Holy crap that was a RTFM game. When you add in that the entire second disk was devoted to tech specs, you could literally spend days just reading information before getting to the game.
Stanley Hauerwas wrote:[W]hy is it that no one is angry at the inequality of income in this country? I mean, the inequality of income is unbelievable. Unbelievable. Why isn’t that ever an issue of politics? Because you don’t live in a democracy. You live in a plutocracy. Money rules.
BattleTech for SilCore
Bob McDob
Rabid Monkey

Post by Bob McDob »

I'll always fondly remember the old Maxis manuals. Simcity 2000 had one of the greatest appendixes I've seen.

Origin games are also good for free supplemental stuff, and the Crimson Skies manual had plenty of entertaining ads.
That's the wrong way to tickle Mary, that's the wrong way to kiss!
Don't you know that, over here lad, they like it best like this!
Hooray, pour les français! Farewell, Angleterre!
We didn't know how to tickle Mary, but we learnt how, over there!
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Karza wrote:Silent Storm (has anyone outside Finland and Russia even heard of that game?) had superb manual. Some background, but most importantly it covered absolutely everything in an easily readable form.
Silent Storm was so, so cool. Until the PanzerKleins. And then it wasn't fun anymore...
Karza
Jedi Knight

Post by Karza »

weemadando wrote:Silent Storm was so, so cool. Until the PanzerKleins. And then it wasn't fun anymore...
Although Sentinels improved that part a bit. At least PK:s aren't invulnerable to bazookas anymore (which was the biggest WTF?! for me in that game).

But yeah, PK:s kinda killed the fun. Then again, You could always play the pre-PK missions over and over again, because there's always something new to try. Like, say, accidentally blowing up an entire 3-storey building, and watching the ragdolls (both friend and foe) fly out of the windows :D. Aw, sometimes booby traps just don't work the way you intended...
"Death before dishonour" they say, but how much dishonour are we talking about exactly? I mean, I can handle a lot. I could fellate a smurf if the alternative was death.
- Dylan Moran
Jedi Council Member

The Dark wrote:Jane's Fighters Anthology. Holy crap that was a RTFM game. When you add in that the entire second disk was devoted to tech specs, you could literally spend days just reading information before getting to the game.
Ummm... not really. Fighter's Anthology, like ATF and US Navy Fighters, is pretty much a game where you can just jump into instant action only accompanied by the Keyboard Reference Chart.

But still, Fighter's Anthology has a helluva good manual. Too bad Jane's manuals always come with crappy covers. :(

If you're really into an RTFM game, I would suggest Jane's F-15 or X-Com: UFO Defense. Not for the faint-hearted, though. Muahahaha!
Karza
Jedi Knight

Post by Karza »

Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:If you're really into an RTFM game, I would suggest Jane's F-15 or X-Com: UFO Defense. Not for the faint-hearted, though. Muahahaha!
IMO, X-Com: UFO Defense doesn't really fit into that category. It's pretty simple to play despite it's complexity. The UI is quite intuitive both in the strategic map and in battle.
- Dylan Moran
White Haven
Sith Acolyte

Post by White Haven »

Yeah. X-COM, while one of the best games ever made, WAS fairly easy to pick up. And good grief, talk about massive manuals, anyone ever play SimEarth?

Hi. Terraform a world and lead a species from said world to sentience and high technology.
Chronological Incontinence: Time warps around the poster. The thread topic winks out of existence and reappears in 1d10 posts.

Out of Context Theatre, this week starring Darth Nostril.
-'If you really want to fuck with these idiots tell them that there is a vaccine for chemtrails.'

Fiction!: The Final War (Bolo/Lovecraft) (Ch 7 9/15/11), Living (D&D, Complete)Image
Jedi Council Member

Karza wrote:IMO, X-Com: UFO Defense doesn't really fit into that category. It's pretty simple to play despite it's complexity. The UI is quite intuitive both in the strategic map and in battle.
:shock: I found learning the game mechanic was pretty intimidating. Figuring out the turn-based squad combat is one thing, but base building is more intimidating to me.

It's just me, or X-Com is not really an RTFM type of game?

Probably it's just my old habit of RTFM first before jumping in?
Knighthawk
Youngling

Post by Knighthawk »

Mechcommander / Mechcommander 2
ATF Gold
Definitely cool manuals
Amateur filmmaker, if you are interested in seeing my resume, please contact me. Thank you.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

MechCommander, no questions asked. Especially the comments by Cmdr Harrison.
BG & BG2 for the same reason, among others.
FO1 & 2. If this needs explaining you need to be shot.
Wizardry 8. It had a shitload of useful information (at least for someone new to the Wizardryverse), a lot of the background was an interesting read, and some of the commentary was simply hilarious. Plus, there was not a single blank page in this manual, including the insides of the covers.
Planet's Edge. The 'We basically have no clue but here's a theory' approach went brilliantly with the atmosphere of the game. Not that I expect anybody but The Bear to remember it in the first place.
WC 1&2. 'Nuff said.
Aces Of The Pacific.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Slartibartfast
Emperor's Hand

Post by Slartibartfast »

weemadando wrote:
Karza wrote:Silent Storm (has anyone outside Finland and Russia even heard of that game?) had superb manual. Some background, but most importantly it covered absolutely everything in an easily readable form.
Silent Storm was so, so cool. Until the PanzerKleins. And then it wasn't fun anymore...
That's just the HAB talking ;)
Karza
Jedi Knight

Post by Karza »

Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:
Karza wrote:IMO, X-Com: UFO Defense doesn't really fit into that category. It's pretty simple to play despite it's complexity. The UI is quite intuitive both in the strategic map and in battle.
:shock: I found learning the game mechanic was pretty intimidating. Figuring out the turn-based squad combat is one thing, but base building is more intimidating to me.

It's just me, or X-Com is not really an RTFM type of game?

Probably it's just my old habit of RTFM first before jumping in?
I'd say it's that habit :). I figured it out in 15 minutes, and so did most of my friends. After all, most stuff in it is pretty self-explanatory (figuring out how to shoot took the longest if I remember correctly).
- Dylan Moran
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

I wish X-com would develop night vision goggles....

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
White Haven
Sith Acolyte

Post by White Haven »

Now, figuring out how to play WELL took longer... ;)
Chronological Incontinence: Time warps around the poster. The thread topic winks out of existence and reappears in 1d10 posts.

Out of Context Theatre, this week starring Darth Nostril.
-'If you really want to fuck with these idiots tell them that there is a vaccine for chemtrails.'

Fiction!: The Final War (Bolo/Lovecraft) (Ch 7 9/15/11), Living (D&D, Complete)Image
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

I loved the Warcraft and WC2 manuals, and I firmly believe that I wouldn't have enjoyed the games as much if I hadn't read them.
JADAFETWA
Karza
Jedi Knight

Post by Karza »

White Haven wrote:Now, figuring out how to play WELL took longer... ;)
Well, I never claimed I was any good at it at first :D . Figuring that out indeed took longer.
- Dylan Moran