Wargame Troglodyte Needs Help

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Bob McDob
Rabid Monkey

Wargame Troglodyte Needs Help

Post by Bob McDob »

So the last computer wargame proper I actually bought was Sid Meier's Gettysburg back in 1998, and since then I've watched what appears to me to be a staggering array of titles shuffle across the pages of PC Gamer and Computer Games magazine. In that time, I've grown increasingly weary of the mainstream computer gaming scene and looked to expand my proverbial horizons here.

That said, I'm quite intimidated. I don't know much about wargames in general and am not accustomed to playing them. I've downloaded the demo of Combat Mission: Afrika Corps and searched in vain for a recently demo'ed naval combat game. I'm aware of few wargaming sites and those I do know scare and confuse me.

That said ... what would be the best place for a wargaming newbie like myself to start? I'm looking for games that are relatively accessible and don't have 500-page manuals that must be scrunitized in every detail. I don't really care about what it's about, and my only requirement about the graphics is that they be relatively straigtforward and not make my eyes bleed.