Homophobia kills toddler

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Lord of the Abyss
Village Idiot

Homophobia kills toddler

Post by Lord of the Abyss »

Story
(Tampa, Florida) A 21 year old Tampa man is charged with murder after his 3-year old son was pummeled into unconsciousness and then died.

Ronnie Paris Jr. went on trial for his own life this week in a Tampa courtroom. The toddler's mother, Nysheerah Paris, testified that her husband thought the boy might be gay and would force him to box.

Nysheerah Paris told the court that Paris would make the boy fight with him, slapping the child in the head until he cried or wet himself. She said that on one occasion Paris slammed the child against a wall because he was vomiting.

The court was told there had been a history of abuse by Paris. Prosecutor Jalal Harb said that in 2002, the Florida Department of Children & Families placed the child in protective custody after he had been admitted to the hospital several times for vomiting.

He was returned to his parents Dec. 14. A month later he went into a coma and was rushed to hospital. Six days later he was removed from life support and died. An autopsy showed there was swelling on both sides of his brain.

"He was trying to teach him how to fight,'' Nysheerah Paris' sister, Shanita Powell told the court. "He was concerned that the child might be gay.''

Following the child's death Tampa police Detective Anthony Zambito thought there was something suspicious. He testified that he questioned both parents closely at the hospital. But it wasn't until investigators questioned them separately Feb. 1 that the boy's mother talked about the abuse.

Paris was charged with capital murder and Nysheerah Paris was charged with felony child neglect and faces a maximum of 15 years in prison.
Bigotry trumps parenting instincts once again. Nice to see how American "Family Values" work out in real life. Why am I not surprised this state voted for Bush ?
Trekdestroyer
Racist Donkey-Raping Son of a Whore

Post by Trekdestroyer »

If I were the Judge, I'd have the murdering father killed in a horrible messy way. Maybe a shot to the back of the head or having his head smashed with a giant mace or some other heavy object. But to be absalutly honest, what this man did is terrible and he deserves to rot in jail.
Kamakazie Sith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Kamakazie Sith »

Trekdestroyer wrote:If I were the Judge, I'd have the murdering father killed in a horrible messy way. Maybe a shot to the back of the head or having his head smashed with a giant mace or some other heavy object. But to be absalutly honest, what this man did is terrible and he deserves to rot in jail.
That'd be a violation of the Bill of Rights.
Milites Astrum Exterminans
Kamakazie Sith
Emperor's Hand

Re: Homophobia kills toddler

Post by Kamakazie Sith »

Lord of the Abyss wrote: Bigotry trumps parenting instincts once again. Nice to see how American "Family Values" work out in real life. Why am I not surprised this state voted for Bush ?
Do you really believe that this family acts this way because they voted for Bush? Do you believe that this is a good example of how american family values are suppose to be?
Glocksman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Glocksman »

Kamakazie Sith wrote:
Lord of the Abyss wrote: Bigotry trumps parenting instincts once again. Nice to see how American "Family Values" work out in real life. Why am I not surprised this state voted for Bush ?
Do you really believe that this family acts this way because they voted for Bush? Do you believe that this is a good example of how american family values are suppose to be?
Umm.....
At the risk of being called a racist, let me point out the nonsensical..ah 'exotic' names of the Mother (Nysheerah) and Aunt (Shanita).

I'd say that they're black based on those names, and blacks are overwhelmingly anti-Bush.

Bigotry crosses racial and party lines.
"You say that it is your custom to burn widows. Very well. We also have a custom: when men burn a woman alive, we tie a rope around their necks and we hang them. Build your funeral pyre; beside it, my carpenters will build a gallows. You may follow your custom. And then we will follow ours."- General Sir Charles Napier

Oderint dum metuant
Glocksman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Glocksman »

And before anyone says I'm pulling that bit about the names out of my ass, read this.
Study: Exotic Names Don't Make Grade For Black Students
Children With Asian-Sounding Names Considered Brighter

POSTED: 2:14 pm EDT May 12, 2005
UPDATED: 5:23 pm EDT May 12, 2005

A new study suggests that black students with exotic names don't do as well in school as black students with more common names.

The University of Florida study found that students with names such as Da'Quan or Damarcus are more likely to score lower on reading and math tests.

Researchers said that black students with unusual names are also less likely to meet teacher expectations and be referred to gifted programs than black students with more common names, such as Dwayne.

Complete story not posted for copyright reasons. Read the rest at the link
"You say that it is your custom to burn widows. Very well. We also have a custom: when men burn a woman alive, we tie a rope around their necks and we hang them. Build your funeral pyre; beside it, my carpenters will build a gallows. You may follow your custom. And then we will follow ours."- General Sir Charles Napier

Oderint dum metuant
Plekhanov
Sith Marauder

Post by Plekhanov »

Glocksman wrote:Umm.....
At the risk of being called a racist, let me point out the nonsensical..ah 'exotic' names of the Mother (Nysheerah) and Aunt (Shanita).

I'd say that they're black based on those names, and blacks are overwhelmingly anti-Bush.

Bigotry crosses racial and party lines.
Well it would seem the guys black link not that that proves anything about his party allegiance, personally I doubt he voted at all (because he’s an ignorant fuck that is not because of all that voter registration business going on down there).
Chardok
GET THE FUCK OFF MY OBSTACLE!

Post by Chardok »

Glocksman wrote:At the risk of being called a racist, let me point out the nonsensical..ah 'exotic' names of the Mother (Nysheerah) and Aunt (Shanita).

Those types of names are generally regarded as "Modern English". I call them fucking stupid, and it reflects poorly upon the intelligence of the parents.

As for being overwhelmingly Anti-Bush. The statistics may support that, but statistics can only be applied when you're talking about a broad swath of peoples. In this case, we should assume nothing. (Even if we're 99% certain it's correct)
Glocksman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Glocksman »

As for being overwhelmingly Anti-Bush. The statistics may support that, but statistics can only be applied when you're talking about a broad swath of peoples. In this case, we should assume nothing. (Even if we're 99% certain it's correct)
True.

Oderint dum metuant
Durandal
Bile-Driven Hate Machine

Post by Durandal »

Wonder if the prosecution is seeking the death penalty. I can't imagine too many cases it would be better-suited for.
Damien Sorresso

"Ever see what them computa bitchez do to numbas? It ain't natural. Numbas ain't supposed to be code, they supposed to quantify shit."
- The Onion
Lord of the Abyss
Village Idiot

Kamakazie Sith wrote:Do you really believe that this family acts this way because they voted for Bush? Do you believe that this is a good example of how american family values are suppose to be?
I'm saying that the fact that this state supported Bush implies a general atmosphere of bigotry and/or ignorance, whether or not these people voted for Bush. And in my experience, "family values" is right wing code for reactionary bigotry.
Xon
Sith Acolyte

Post by Xon »

Durandal wrote:Wonder if the prosecution is seeking the death penalty. I can't imagine too many cases it would be better-suited for.
If he does get the death penalty, he just himself a Darwin Award.
"Okay, I'll have the truth with a side order of clarity." ~ Dr. Daniel Jackson.
"Reality has a well-known liberal bias." ~ Stephen Colbert
"One Drive, One Partition, the One True Path" ~ ars technica forums - warrens - on hhd partitioning schemes.
That NOS Guy
Jedi Council Member

Post by That NOS Guy »

*throws mouse at screen*

A three year-old, BOXING?!

Teaching him how to fight before he's fully potty trained? To add to insult, how could the mother allow this skullfuckery to continue?

Give her a criminal negligence chage to boot!
Glocksman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Glocksman »

Lord of the Abyss wrote:
Kamakazie Sith wrote:Do you really believe that this family acts this way because they voted for Bush? Do you believe that this is a good example of how american family values are suppose to be?
I'm saying that the fact that this state supported Bush implies a general atmosphere of bigotry and/or ignorance, whether or not these people voted for Bush. And in my experience, "family values" is right wing code for reactionary bigotry.
So Bush wasn't merely the least offensive choice for those who won't vote 3rd party* or the genuine best choice based on your particular hot button issues, and voting for him means you're either a bigot or ignorant?

Mirror image of what a lot of doctrinare right wingers believe about liberals, anyone? :roll:

*For the record, I haven't voted Rep or Dem in presidential races since 1992, and then I voted for Clinton because I despised Bush Sr. I later regretted that vote. :P

Oderint dum metuant
Glocksman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Glocksman »

Glocksman wrote:So Bush wasn't merely the least offensive choice for those who won't vote 3rd party* or the genuine best choice based on your particular hot button issues, and voting for him means you're either a bigot or ignorant?
And there are hot button issues that have nothing to do with religion or gay rights. Guns, Social Security, Taxes, Defense, Iraq, etc. are all examples of why someone could either oppose or support Bush that have nothing to do with 'family values'.

Oderint dum metuant
Kamakazie Sith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Kamakazie Sith »

Durandal wrote:Wonder if the prosecution is seeking the death penalty. I can't imagine too many cases it would be better-suited for.
That depends on state law, but I agree this asshole certainly deserves it.
Lord of the Abyss
Village Idiot

Glocksman wrote:So Bush wasn't merely the least offensive choice for those who won't vote 3rd party* or the genuine best choice based on your particular hot button issues, and voting for him means you're either a bigot or ignorant?
Bush is an utter disaster. I cannot imagine a good reason for voting for him.
Glocksman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Glocksman »

Lord of the Abyss wrote:
If I thought SS privatization was a good thing (I don't), I'd have voted for him.
What I'm saying is that there are probably a lot of Bush voters who voted for him despite the 'family values' bullshit he espouses, not because of it, and to paint over half the country as bigoted, ignorant, or both doesn't do liberals any good when it comes to election time.

Oderint dum metuant
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

Lord of the Abyss wrote:
How about "John Kerry didn't give me a reason not to." This story is horrible. I looked at the thread title and thought 'No, that must be a typo, hemophilia. That kills kids.' But no, people are idiots.
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
Lord of the Abyss
Village Idiot

CaptainChewbacca wrote:How about "John Kerry didn't give me a reason not to." This story is horrible. I looked at the thread title and thought 'No, that must be a typo, hemophilia. That kills kids.' But no, people are idiots.
I haven't voted for a person in my life; I alway vote against. Given Bush, why did you need a reason to vote for Kerry ? The important thing was to get Bush out of office. I barely paid attention to Kerry. And you're right, people are idiots. Also, this is the second time I've posted an OP where somebody said "That must be a typo". :)
What I'm saying is that there are probably a lot of Bush voters who voted for him despite the 'family values' bullshit he espouses, not because of it, and to paint over half the country as bigoted, ignorant, or both doesn't do liberals any good when it comes to election time.
Given the amount of damage Bush is doing, I fail to see how voting on a side issue qualifies as anything but stupid. As I see it, Bush supports two sorts of issues : stupid ones, and evil ones. Anyone who supports him is either stupid, evil, foolish, or ignorant. And yes, this is just my opinion, but since we are speaking about what I think about Bush voters, my opinions are what matter.

And as far as election time goes, I gave up on America when it elected Bush twice. Let America go to hell, I don't really care any more, beyond what may happen to me and mine. The rest of the country can destroy itself, since that seems to be what it wants.
Durandal
Bile-Driven Hate Machine

Post by Durandal »

Keep the Bushit to a minimum, people. I think Bush is a self-serving cunt, too, but I don't see what that has to do with beating a child to death out of homophobia.
Damien Sorresso

"Ever see what them computa bitchez do to numbas? It ain't natural. Numbas ain't supposed to be code, they supposed to quantify shit."
- The Onion
Lord of the Abyss
Village Idiot

Durandal wrote:Keep the Bushit to a minimum, people. I think Bush is a self-serving cunt, too, but I don't see what that has to do with beating a child to death out of homophobia.
Sorry. I suppose a hijack was inevitable; I can't see many people on this board saying "Good for him ! Beat the Devil out of Satan's child". That makes any debate rather one sided.
Zero
Jedi Council Member
Location: Trying to find the divide between real memories and false ones.

Post by Zero »

LotA always seems to assume the worst... hmm...

This abuse doesn't appear to have anything to do with homophobia at all. Does anybody honestly believe that the man beat his 3-year old to death because he believed the kid had homosexual tendencies? Isn't it MUCH more reasonable to assume that the father was just an abusive fuck?
So long, and thanks for all the fish
Zero
Jedi Council Member
Location: Trying to find the divide between real memories and false ones.

Post by Zero »

Note: I'm not trying to say that homophobia is okay. It's fucked up. But it isn't why this kid died.
So long, and thanks for all the fish
Lord of the Abyss
Village Idiot

Zero132132 wrote:This abuse doesn't appear to have anything to do with homophobia at all. Does anybody honestly believe that the man beat his 3-year old to death because he believed the kid had homosexual tendencies? Isn't it MUCH more reasonable to assume that the father was just an abusive fuck?
That was his known motivation for hitting the kid, and it's not like brutality towards suspected gays is rare. My only real question is was it due to an overenthusiastic beating, or did Daddy decide "better dead than gay" and beat the kid to death on purpose.