Companies Want RFID Tags In The Home

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Einhander Sn0m4n
Insane Railgunner
Location: Louisiana... or Dagobah. You know, where Yoda lives.

Companies Want RFID Tags In The Home

Post by Einhander Sn0m4n »

Spywareinfo Newsletter. May 5 2005
Mike Healan wrote:Certain e-commerce companies are promoting some very scary plans for RFID tags and sensors. RFID tags are tiny radio transceivers which transmit a short code identifying themselves when a signal is received from an RFID reader device. When embedded into merchandise, these tags allow a person with a reader to know exactly what the merchandise is, where it was bought, how much it cost and, potentially, who bought it.

One company, Accenture Technology Labs in Chicago, has created medicine cabinets and even bedroom furniture with embedded RFID readers. These readers are, of course, connected via the internet to certain e-commerce web sites. Imagine your own furniture detecting your new clothes and prescription drugs and reporting them to some marketing company over the internet. The reason for doing this is so that these companies can target very specific advertising at you.
Wired News article

Note to self: Acquire RFID tag killer and RFID-reader jammers; use liberally.
Image Image
Mitth`raw`nuruodo
Harry Potter on Acid

Post by Mitth`raw`nuruodo »

"Imagine your own furniture detecting your new clothes and prescription drugs and reporting them to some marketing company over the internet."

I am confused about this part. I thought RFID tags only sent out an identifying signal on a specific frequency, generally so people could locate the position of whatever item the RFID tag is attached to. I haven't heard of one that can transmit data based on its surroundings, although I suppose it could be possible. :? Sounds kinda like fearmongering to me.
<< SEGNOR: Grand Admiral of the Gnomish Hordes >< GALE: Equal Opportunity Lover >< SDNet Keeper of the Lore >< Great Dolphin Conspiracy >>
My Audioscrobbler

Cult of Vin Diesel - When you mix Vin Diesel with a strong acid you get salt water.
Wicked Pilot
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Wicked Pilot »

Mitth`raw`nuruodo wrote:I haven't heard of one that can transmit data based on its surroundings, although I suppose it could be possible. :?
The tags are embedded in the products you buy. Your sofa is constantly sending out a signal, and when the tag in your brand new Levis receives the signal it signals back. The sofa then transmits back to whoever that you you now own a pair of Levis.
The most basic assumption about the world is that it does not contradict itself.
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

There's little chance RFID tags on clothes can survive a single wash & dry cycle, and if they somehow did a quick zap in the microwave will take care of them. As for built in readers in furniture, it doesn't matter as long as they can't connect, and in any case I doubt they can be hidden well enough that I can't find and kill them.

For computers and possibly TV it is a concern since the devices can be embedded in them and automatically log and send data without my knowledge or control. They'd also be damn near impossible to find and kill unless I feel like spending a week tracing circuits and looking up spec sheets. And if they do it right and integrate the devices into vital components such as the CPU, well, we're fucked unless some genius figures things out and releases a crack for it.
aerius: I'll vote for you if you sleep with me. :)
Lusankya: Deal!
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

For what good it will do me, I have just written my congressman. Scrounging what little faith in the system I had left in order to do so.

Hoipefully companies will have to disclose the presence of these tags?
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."
-George Carlin (1937-2008)

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.