Rome, Titus, Zealots and Al Queda

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Augustus
Padawan Learner

Rome, Titus, Zealots and Al Queda

Post by Augustus »

The problems with present day Islamic-Fascists are similar to the problems that Imperial Rome was having with Jews during 66 CE.

For those that dont already know:
The Zealots (or "daggermen" in Latin), one of several radical spliter sects of Judasim conducted terror campaignes much the same way that Al Queda currently is. The moderate Jewish sects were incapable of controlling the radical groups and Roman military forces was eventually required. In much the same way that moderate Islamic clerics of today are incapable of containing/moderating groups like Al Queda.

The Roman solution was to have the son of Vespasian, Titus march the legions into Judea and destroy the temple, and kill a ton of people on his way out. Pretty effective considering that the Jewish faith was based around the temple - completely decentralized the Jewish religion and halted the revolt.

So would the ultimate solution to Islamic- Fasicist groups like Al Queda be a modern day Titus? Or is Islam already to decentralized in practice, for the "Roman" solution to work?
MKSheppard
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger

Re: Rome, Titus, Zealots and Al Queda

Post by MKSheppard »

Augustus wrote:Or is Islam already to decentralized in practice, for the "Roman" solution to work?
No, they all worship mecca. Turn it into a glowing glass heap with your
standard "claw of death" of interlocking one megaton warheads
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
StarshipTitanic
Sith Marauder

Post by StarshipTitanic »

Except Islam isn't ruled by a single, non-Muslim country with the ability to control them.
"Man's unfailing capacity to believe what he prefers to be true rather than what the evidence shows to be likely and possible has always astounded me...God has not been proven not to exist, therefore he must exist." -- Academician Prokhor Zakharov

"Hal grabs life by the balls and doesn't let you do that [to] hal."

"I hereby declare myself master of the known world."
MKSheppard

Post by MKSheppard »

StarshipTitanic wrote:Except Islam isn't ruled by a single, non-Muslim country with the ability to control them.
Their religion centers around Mecca and that meteorite the same way
the Jews used with the Temple and Jerusalem........IOW, NUKE IT
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
Augustus
Padawan Learner

Post by Augustus »

StarshipTitanic wrote:Except Islam isn't ruled by a single, non-Muslim country with the ability to control them.
Not quite: During the Jewish revolt (or just prior to it) Judea was a independant "Hellenistic" kingdom. Its king, Harrod swore allegance to Rome but Judea did not have a Roman Governor.

What I was trying to get at is that both Islam and Judaism have some similarites in that their religion is focused around a place. The temple in the case of Roman era Jews and Mecca in the case of Mulisms.

The differences are what is complelling. Jews during Titus' time had a very strict interpritation handed down by the temple presists. The destruction of the temple essentially liberated the religon from the strict interpritations, eliminated the key differences driving the radical sects and gave rise to the Rabbis as a moderate social/coumminuty leader.

Islam on the other hand already has decentralized leaders, the Imans. While the religon has no central authority, individual Imans can venture opinons on any subject and are not required to agree. Although they would argue this, pointing out that the Quran can only be interpreted by the faithful and Allah would lead them to the conclusion desired.
Augustus
Padawan Learner

Post by Augustus »

MKSheppard wrote:
Would a modern day Titus resort to a nuke? Or, would he perfeer the more personal touch.

One can only hardly imagine the effect of the 1st Armored parading the captured Alhajar Al-Aswad black stone down Pennsylvania Ave, as a spoil.

Getting back to the point:
Would a modern day Titus even be effective?
fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Post by fgalkin »

Augustus wrote:
Not quite: During the Jewish revolt (or just prior to it) Judea was a independant "Hellenistic" kingdom. Its king, Harrod swore allegance to Rome but Judea did not have a Roman Governor.
Sure it did. His name was Gessius Florus and he was an overall bastard (at least according to Josephus). Judea was a Roman province ever since the death of Agrippa the First. StarshipTitanic is correct in saying that Islam is not ruled by a single non-Muslim country
What I was trying to get at is that both Islam and Judaism have some similarites in that their religion is focused around a place. The temple in the case of Roman era Jews and Mecca in the case of Mulisms.

The differences are what is complelling. Jews during Titus' time had a very strict interpritation handed down by the temple presists. The destruction of the temple essentially liberated the religon from the strict interpritations, eliminated the key differences driving the radical sects and gave rise to the Rabbis as a moderate social/coumminuty leader.

Islam on the other hand already has decentralized leaders, the Imans. While the religon has no central authority, individual Imans can venture opinons on any subject and are not required to agree. Although they would argue this, pointing out that the Quran can only be interpreted by the faithful and Allah would lead them to the conclusion desired.
That is correct. ALthough both the Jews and the Muslims were compelled to violence by radicla factions.

Btw, the sicarii (aka "daggermen") are not the same as the Zealots. The Sicarii were a terrorist organization prior to the revolt, whereas the Zealots were a faction that emerged during the war.

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Post by Admiral Valdemar »

MKSheppard wrote:
I don't know what kind of a reaction that would produce, but I bet it's got an industrial scale warning sign on in 20' tall letters.
MKSheppard

Post by MKSheppard »

Admiral Valdemar wrote:I don't know what kind of a reaction that would produce, but I bet it's got an industrial scale warning sign on in 20' tall letters.
I think we could easily split up the Islamic world between us and Russia,
get rid of all those pesky 40,000 nuclear weapons we both made or so
by expending them in combat :twisted:

fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Post by fgalkin »

MKSheppard wrote:
Admiral Valdemar wrote:I don't know what kind of a reaction that would produce, but I bet it's got an industrial scale warning sign on in 20' tall letters.
I think we could easily split up the Islamic world between us and Russia,
get rid of all those pesky 40,000 nuclear weapons we both made or so
by expending them in combat :twisted:
We don't want them. They're more trouble than they're worth. One Chechnya is enough for us.

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
Augustus
Padawan Learner

Post by Augustus »

fgalkin wrote:
Augustus wrote:
Sure it did. His name was Gessius Florus and he was an overall bastard (at least according to Josephus). Judea was a Roman province ever since the death of Agrippa the First. StarshipTitanic is correct in saying that Islam is not ruled by a single non-Muslim country
You are correct, my bad for overlooking Florus. Judea during that period leading upto the revolt was Hellenistic and was proably more predesposed to Roman rule.
fgalkin wrote:Btw, the sicarii (aka "daggermen") are not the same as the Zealots. The Sicarii were a terrorist organization prior to the revolt, whereas the Zealots were a faction that emerged during the war.
I have always seen the Sicarii, and other radicals of that time lumped together under the umbrella term "Zealots". Pardon, if I took the translation of "Sicarii" literally as that of "Zealot".

I'm a Mechanical Engineer but find history extreemly entertaining. You seem to have a detailed understanding of this period. Do you have any sources to recommend?
fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Post by fgalkin »

I too find history entertaining, but I can harldy claim authority on the subject. My information comes from reading Josephus' "The Jewish War" a copy of which you can obtain from Amazon or from a good bookstore. Oh and "sicarii" comes from "sica", which is Latin for "dagger". They were the "daggermen" you were referring to.

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
RedImperator
Roosevelt Republican

Post by RedImperator »

The Temple was the physical center of Judaism, but the real beating heart of the religion were the temple priests who performed all the essential rituals laid out in the Torah. When the Romans razed the Temple, they also wiped out the priests and essentially destroyed Judaism as it had been known since the end of the Babylonian Exile. Mecca and the Kabbah don't serve the same function in Islam. The Kabbah is the physical center of the religion, but its function is entirely symbolic. Destroy it, and Muslims will just pray towards the radioactive crater.

Plus, of course, with the exception of those Jews of the first diaspora who'd established communities across the Hellenic world, the entire Jewish population was confined to an area smaller than modern New Jersey and was extremely limited compared to the entire Empire. Muslims make up 1/5 of the world's population and cover some large percentage of the land surface, and have a minority presense almost everywhere else. The ancient Jewish radicals were destroyed because their religion was upended, the population base from where they drew new recruits was devastated and scattered, and because the Romans killed most of them. Glassing Mecca, or sending the Army to capture the city and ship the Kabbah to the National Mall brick by brick for use as a pig's sty, or whatever, isn't going to change Islam--at least not the way you intend.

A better modern analogy to the ancient Jews would be the Mormons in America, who despite having communities all over the country, are pretty much centralized in the inter-mountain west, centered on Utah and Salt Lake City in particular. If you killed half the population of Utah, razed Salt Lake City to the ground, and carted off some Mormon relics to DC, you'd probably be able to damage that religion more than you could by doing the same to Islam. Of course, the Mormons are keenly aware of this and have been since the beginning, so it's tenent of their religion to stockpile food, water, and ammunition, just in case.
Any city gets what it admires, will pay for, and, ultimately, deserves…We want and deserve tin-can architecture in a tinhorn culture. And we will probably be judged not by the monuments we build but by those we have destroyed.--Ada Louise Huxtable, "Farewell to Penn Station", New York Times editorial, 30 October 1963
X-Ray Blues
BlkbrryTheGreat
BANNED

Post by BlkbrryTheGreat »

Of course, the Mormons are keenly aware of this and have been since the beginning, so it's tenent of their religion to stockpile food, water, and ammunition, just in case.
I find that hilarious. "God needs ammo!"
Devolution is quite as natural as evolution, and may be just as pleasing, or even a good deal more pleasing, to God. If the average man is made in God's image, then a man such as Beethoven or Aristotle is plainly superior to God, and so God may be jealous of him, and eager to see his superiority perish with his bodily frame.

-H.L. Mencken
Bob the Gunslinger
Has not forgotten the face of his father

Post by Bob the Gunslinger »

So that's what God needs with a starship.
"Gunslinger indeed. Quick draw, Bob. Quick draw." --Count Chocula

"Unquestionably, Dr. Who is MUCH lighter in tone than WH40K. But then, I could argue the entirety of WWII was much lighter in tone than WH40K." --Broomstick

"This is ridiculous. I look like the Games Workshop version of a Jedi Knight." --Harry Dresden, Changes

"Like...are we canonical?" --Aaron Dembski-Bowden to Dan Abnett
frigidmagi
Sith Devotee

Post by frigidmagi »

I'm no expert, but wouldn't that just make it easier for the terrorist to get more troops and power. I see invading Saudi Arabia and burning Mecca only helping Osama convince other Muslims that the U.S and the it's allies are "out to get Islam."
dummnutzer
Redshirt

Post by dummnutzer »

fgalkin wrote:Oh and "sicarii" comes from "sica", which is Latin for "dagger". They were the "daggermen" you were referring to.
Sica is a dagger with a curved blade and as such a dishonorable weapon in Rome. No decent Roman would use such a weapon, except for some use in gladiatorial games. But honorable Romans did not enter such games, anyway.

So calling a group "sicarii" is a grosss insult; this is sometimes ignored by modern history authors in portraying the jewish uprising.

And now back to the discussion about nuking Mecca ...

A possible solution is to finance and publish liberal muslim clerics while getting rid, e.g. by accidents, of radical ones. The same thing happened during the cold war with supporting anti-communist authors and political parties and we won this war ...
frigidmagi
Sith Devotee

Post by frigidmagi »

True, but there be hell to pay if we were found out. Most don't take it lightly when you fuck with their regilious beliefs.
Augustus
Padawan Learner

Post by Augustus »

frigidmagi wrote:I'm no expert, but wouldn't that just make it easier for the terrorist to get more troops and power. I see invading Saudi Arabia and burning Mecca only helping Osama convince other Muslims that the U.S and the it's allies are "out to get Islam."
Thats the point in question.

Rome had a similar situation during the Jewish revolt. Their solution was to obliterate the Jewish religon (as it stood then), and they did not in the long run generate more terrorists/ zealots. In fact Rome's actions lead to a more stable situation in that part of the world.

So is it not possible that a modern day Titus taking similar actions in the present, while they would be horrible in the short term, ultimately would lead to a long term solution?
Sarevok
The Fearless One

Post by Sarevok »

Back in the 7th or 8th century Islam was centralised. However today Islam is spread across numerous countries that are very different culturaly and ethnicaly. It is no longer like the days of the Caliphate. There is no central control.

Regarding nuking mecca it is a bad idea. Firstly no one can destroy mecca since it is guarded by angles. Secondly nuking mecca achieves no good. Ordianary muslims pray pointing towards the mecca and they dont deserve to have this privilage taken from because of the actions of a few misguided zealots.
I have to tell you something everything I wrote above is a lie.
Sarevok
The Fearless One

Post by Sarevok »

So is it not possible that a modern day Titus taking similar actions in the present, while they would be horrible in the short term, ultimately would lead to a long term solution?
\\

Unlikely. If mecca could be destroyed and is destroyed muslims are forever going to hate the people who did it.
I have to tell you something everything I wrote above is a lie.
HemlockGrey
Fucking Awesome

Post by HemlockGrey »

Unless we're prepared to kill *all* Muslims, adopting a Romanesque solution to our problems probably is not the best idea.
The End of Suburbia
"If more cars are inevitable, must there not be roads for them to run on?"
-Robert Moses

"The Wire" is the best show in the history of television. Watch it today.
Darth Wong
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Post by Darth Wong »

evilcat4000 wrote:Back in the 7th or 8th century Islam was centralised. However today Islam is spread across numerous countries that are very different culturaly and ethnicaly. It is no longer like the days of the Caliphate. There is no central control.
True.
Regarding nuking mecca it is a bad idea. Firstly no one can destroy mecca since it is guarded by angles.
Can I assume you meant "angels"? Angles would not provide much defense against a nuclear weapon. Then again, neither would imaginary angels. Is this angel-based ballistic missile defense system a core belief of Islam? If so, would it shake their faith for it to fail in spectacular fashion?
Secondly nuking mecca achieves no good. Ordianary muslims pray pointing towards the mecca and they dont deserve to have this privilage taken from because of the actions of a few misguided zealots.
True; it is a terror tactic of destroying that which your enemy loves, even if you hurt innocents in the process.
"It's not evil for God to do it. Or for someone to do it at God's command."- Jonathan Boyd on baby-killing

"you guys are fascinated with the use of those "rules of logic" to the extent that you don't really want to discussus anything."- GC

"I do not believe Russian Roulette is a stupid act" - Embracer of Darkness

"Viagra commercials appear to save lives" - tharkûn on US health care.

http://www.stardestroyer.net/Mike/RantMode/Blurbs.html
Patrick Degan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Patrick Degan »

Augustus wrote:Rome had a similar situation during the Jewish revolt. Their solution was to obliterate the Jewish religon (as it stood then), and they did not in the long run generate more terrorists/ zealots. In fact Rome's actions lead to a more stable situation in that part of the world. So is it not possible that a modern day Titus taking similar actions in the present, while they would be horrible in the short term, ultimately would lead to a long term solution?
Judiasm was largely confined to Palestine. And since the fastest communication in the Roman world was by horseback, it would have made for a considerably more difficult problem for the Jews to organise any sort of resistance. Also, Rome didn't have to contend with a billion and a half Jews.
When ballots have fairly and constitutionally decided, there can be no successful appeal back to bullets.
—Abraham Lincoln

People pray so that God won't crush them like bugs.
—Dr. Gregory House

Oil an emergency?! It's about time, Brigadier, that the leaders of this planet of yours realised that to remain dependent upon a mineral slime simply doesn't make sense.
—The Doctor "Terror Of The Zygons" (1975)
Patrick Degan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Patrick Degan »

Darth Wong wrote:
evilcat4000 wrote:Regarding nuking mecca it is a bad idea. Firstly no one can destroy mecca since it is guarded by angles.
Can I assume you meant "angels"? Angles would not provide much defense against a nuclear weapon. Then again, neither would imaginary angels. Is this angel-based ballistic missile defense system a core belief of Islam? If so, would it shake their faith for it to fail in spectacular fashion?
Well, you never know. After all, our own rightwingnuts certainly have their own Faith-Based™ missile defence system, and no fact of physics or number of failed tests have shaken their belief in it. 8)
When ballots have fairly and constitutionally decided, there can be no successful appeal back to bullets.
—Abraham Lincoln

People pray so that God won't crush them like bugs.
—Dr. Gregory House

Oil an emergency?! It's about time, Brigadier, that the leaders of this planet of yours realised that to remain dependent upon a mineral slime simply doesn't make sense.
—The Doctor "Terror Of The Zygons" (1975)