Rome, Titus, Zealots and Al Queda

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Axis Kast
Vympel's Bitch

Post by Axis Kast »

Afganistan was invaded because it was the location of the people who pulled off the WTC strikes and it's joke of a government either would not or could not turn the perpetrators over to face judgement. By contrast, in the last several years, Iran has actually been arresting Al-Qaeda agents and providing cooperation on antiterrorism. The two situations are not the same, no matter how much your addled mind believes otherwise. In point of fact:
In point of fact? In point of fact, your attempt to prove that Iran has meaningfully joined the War on Terror falls flat on its face. Right below that bolded section of your first article are nine damning words that turn your argument on its head:
Whether Iran will hand them over is another question.
A handful of arrests by themselves do not constitute a meaningful shift in Iranian policy. In fact, they can just as easily be considered a concession to the prevailing winds (whereby token counter-terrorism initiatives are used to keep Washington from taking an even harsher line) as they can a genuine effort to overcome the stormy past.
Chalabi was and is a liar and an opportunist who did whatever was required to make a quick buck, and the Iranians main objective was to have Saddam Hussein removed from the chessboard. It's hardly Chalabi's fault that Team Bush were stupid enough to play right into their hands.
Ah, I see. So Pearl Harbor was all Roosevelt’s fault, eh? After all, it wasn’t Japan’s fault our guard was down. They just took advantage of an opportunity anybody would have gladly welcomed. :roll: Regardless of how many in the Bush administration are culpable for taking Chalabi at face value, and especially regardless of the man’s own personal agenda, he was still a used by Iran as a tool to mislead the United States on issues vital to national security.
You are fucking insane.
Because I worry about the potential for havoc and unrestricted action posed by a nuclear Iran, a la North Korea? That’s not insanity, you fucking asshole; it’s foresight.
The evidence of a budding rapproachment between Washington and Tehran above says you don't know what the fuck you're talking about.
We had a rapproachment with the Soviet Union, too. A time when both Washington and Moscow sough to deescalate tensions out of fear of the consequences of hostile confrontation. A rapproachment can signal a rearmament and onrushing reescalation as easily as the beginning of a cooperative relationship. That Iran has taken token moves no different than those of the obviously corrupt regime of Saudi Arabia says nothing conclusive about their true intentions.
No, the point is that the United States knocked over a tinpot banana republic which was no threat to anybody and as a result has mired itself in a guerilla war it never needed to be mired in and which has fueled Al-Qaeda's membership pledge drive in ways they could not have dreamed of had we pursued a policy with some measure of sanity behind it. Such is an example of the Law of Unintended Consequences.
Red herring. Whether Iraq was justified as per the original accusations of George W. Bush has no bearing upon whether success in rebuilding that nation pursuant to a democratic model will be sufficient to provide much-needed support to reform movements elsewhere that would otherwise never have succeeded in galvanizing the necessary majorities to effect and force change.
Andrew J.
Sith Marauder

Post by Andrew J. »

Axis Kast wrote:Red herring. Whether Iraq was justified as per the original accusations of George W. Bush has no bearing upon whether success in rebuilding that nation pursuant to a democratic model will be sufficient to provide much-needed support to reform movements elsewhere that would otherwise never have succeeded in galvanizing the necessary majorities to effect and force change.
Wow, someone actually used the word "pursuant" in a conversation. :shock:

Anyway, the establishment of a democratic government in Iraq by the United States certainly isn't going to help reform movements in other Middle Eastern nations. Instead, they're just going to be identified more and more as allies of foreign interests (ie, us) that should be ignored and/or hated.
Don't hate; appreciate!

RIP Eddie.
Axis Kast
Vympel's Bitch

Post by Axis Kast »

Anyway, the establishment of a democratic government in Iraq by the United States certainly isn't going to help reform movements in other Middle Eastern nations. Instead, they're just going to be identified more and more as allies of foreign interests (ie, us) that should be ignored and/or hated.
At first, of course.

But if the Iraqi people are, by and large, obviously more prosperous, more optimistic, and more content with the democratic modes of government, then there will be ripple effects for certain. Nobody's saying that a revolution in Iran or Syria would have to involve the Stars and Stripes.
Plekhanov
Sith Marauder

Post by Plekhanov »

Axis Kast wrote: Not “about,” you moron; “involving.” Any time we have a discussion involving the United States, you begin by whining about how it’s entirely Washington’s doing because the government are actually Nazis in disguise, and then proceed to ignore the matter of how to fix what went wrong. A rebel without a cause, if you will.
What a pathetic straw man, if I’m on some anti-American trip then why exactly did I specifically mention MI6’s role in the Iranian coup and Europe, Russia and Turkey’s roles in imperialism in the Arab world?

You clearly live in some kind of bipolar world of your own creation where people are with you or against you and with the terrorists. Well I’m happy to say unlike you I see the world in shades of grey and whilst I disagree with Bush on the middle east that doesn’t mean I think he’s on a level with Hitler and it doesn’t mean I hate America.
Secondly, I find it interesting that one could unfairly “smear” Iran while discussing the problem of terrorism in the Middle East given the fact that they are a known safe-haven for al-Qaeda members and have conducted espionage aimed at he United States. Of course, in your book, we should simply ignore this because Iran is little more than a sick, innocent victim at heart, hm?
The manifest errors in the bullshit you just spewed yet again have been pointed out to you countless times most recently by Patrick Degan I’m not going to indulge for fetish for humiliation by going over it again.
Third, because I already touched on Arab emasculation, it is unnecessary to list specific grievances one at a time, no matter how much you’d prefer we made a list of all the dirty deeds you want aired.
How many times Kast “touching” upon emasculation without mentioning the West’s role in maintaining it is only giving half the picture.
Oh I see the problem is entirely with those who constantly misinterpret your great words of wisdom is it? And you say it’s Mike who’s “building his own little version of reality”
To put it simply? Yes.
You are fucking insane
Why the fuck else do you think I touched on emasculation and actualization of Arab power, you ass-clown? Just because I don’t point the finger and try to make Nazis out of American politicians doesn’t mean I don’t acknowledge that we’re reaping, in part, what we’ve sown.
You only acknowledged it after I gave you no option. Yet again do I really have to point out that “touching” upon emasculation without mentioning the West’s role in maintaining it is only giving half the picture.
No, you blithering idiot, I’m talking about it because you’re trying to play the blame-game rather than offer any cogent re-imagining of constructive policy.
So if I’m playing a blame game by pointing out the disastrous results of previous imperial meddling exactly what kind of game are you playing with your bullshit “justification” for invading Iran?
So in your mind an isolationist foreign policy is one that includes “occasional military intervention”?
No American politician is going to bring us back to the ‘30s, regardless of his opinions about how minimal a role the United States should play in the world. Even were we to pursue Wong’s simple-minded, one-dimensional tack (which, by the way, is still more substantial a proposition than anything you’ve offered thus far), the United States would still be compelled to organize intervention in situations such as the invasion and occupation of Kuwait in 1991.
So if that’s a isolationist policy what’s a pragmatic policy I shudder to think what you’d consider interventionist. Wong’s approach of constructive engagement with the Arab world and attempting to stop giving them new reasons to hate is “one dimensional” whereas your kill everybody who looks at you funny approach is a “cogent re-imagining of constructive policy” you truly are delusional.
This has to be one of the most convoluted and least convincing justifications for continued aggressive imperialism in the Arab world I’ve ever heard. You admit that past interventions have been “self-serving – and ultimately universally detrimental” but then argue that you should continue to follow the same policies anyway. Why? Because of the vague ill supported assertion that the US would be the target of terrorism anyway because of it’s “hyperpower”. Do you really believe that shit? Do you really think that if the US hadn’t practically gone out of it’s way over the years to piss of Muslim’s that so many of them would hate America? The mind truly boggles.
The United States hasn’t exactly gone out of its way to piss off Indonesia over the years, but plenty of Indonesians are willing to kill Americans, Plekhanov. The same is true of Pakistanis, with whom we cultivated a strong Cold War relationship. That is the elephant effect. It means that even without having installed people like the Shah in Iran or having sent troops to Beirut during the 1980s, there would still be organizations throughout the world dedicated to the violent rejection of all things Western.
So Indonesia and Pakistan are places where you think the US has done nothing to antagonise people? You don’t think that the MI6 and CIA support for the coup which ousted Sukarno and installed Suharto and the massacres which followed might have upset a few Indonesians? How about the US and British support for Suharto’s brutal Kleptocratic government maybe that has something to do with it? As for Pakistan maybe continued US support for the various military dictatorships (you know like the current one) upset a few Pakistani’s.
Even an isolationist would be forced to keep a wary eye on the Middle East. All these proposals about “alternative fuel sources” and hydrogen-powered cars aren’t going to pan out without decades of work – and even then, a realistic switch would be gradual in the extreme (immediate restructuring of the global economy being virtually impossible). That means that even without a Cold War, we’d still have sent people into Kuwait to restore the sovereignty of an oil-producing nation. That we’d still have sent troops to Saudi Arabia to preempt another attack on an even more important source of oil. And so on and so on and so forth.
Who said anything about giving up oil? Why exactly is it that you don’t think the Arabs would sell it to us anyway? And how on earth can you say with any degree of certainty what would have happened to Kuwait if there had been no cold war, is it the voices in your head again?
How do you know so much about my general opinions on all aspects of US foreign policy so that you feel qualified to make such a sweeping statement about my beliefs? Is it the same voice in your head that tells you about all the WMD in Iraq?
Because I see what I read, you fucking moron. And if it comes out of your mouth, it might as well have been written in Pravda in 1952.
I don’t think that the US should invade Iran so in your world that means I must be some kind of pinko commie stooge of Stalin :roll:
Wong argued that.
I know he did but I didn’t so why pretend I did?
So the imposition of a brutal dictator upon the people of Iran was an “experiment” was it? What a charming way you have with words, do tell me Kast what were the results? Did you get much useful data? I’m sure the families of all those tortured and murdered by the Savak would love to know.

Newsflash Kast Iranians aren’t laboratory mice they are people, their lives are just as valuable as anybody else’s and that includes US citizens.
The results of what we did have no bearing on the original plan, fucktard.
What the hell are you talking about? That makes even less sense that you normally do, are you suggesting that there is no relationship between what the CIA, MI6 did and the effects?
Iran was an experiment; we installed our own strong man using the CIA and attempted to coordinate his rise to power, whereby he’d become the first “American” proxy in the Middle East and attempt to effect a secular revolution.

Have you any idea how appalling callous and arrogant it is to talk of “experimenting” upon people in this way? And if you are going to characterise the installation of the puppet government upon the Iranians as an “experiment” the very least you could do is actually look at the fucking results of doing so see how disastrous they were and STOP CONSTANTLY ADVOCATING DOING THE SAME THING AGAIN.
This is precisely what I’m talking about when I say that you’re so rabid about America’s faults, you don’t actually address the issues at hand, but instead go off on a tangent. The United States hasn’t gone door-to-door shooting people up like the Baathists, Plekhanov.
Sorry to get in the way of your persecution complex Kast but have you not noticed that my country is waist deep in Iraq as well? We have been “shoulder to shoulder” with the US every step of the way do you also accuse me of being “rabidly” anti-British?
As for your question, I have indeed answered it. Iraq isn’t like Iran; we’ve installed a coalition, not a monarch. Iraq isn’t like Lebannon; we sent politicians as well as soldiers. Iraq isn’t like Saudi Arabia; we aren’t negotiating with the old regime. Iraq isn’t like Somalia; we didn’t hunt small fish while ignoring the main problem of how to simultaneously develop a functioning government.
It doesn’t matter if the proxy government is a coalition or a king it’s still a puppet, which will create more problems further down the line. Unless the Iraqi government is able to turn around and tell America to fuck off and choose to sell its peoples’ oil to whomever they choose at a price they agree to the Iraqis won’t accept it and it will just be the Shah all over again.
Iran’s reform movement has now been barred from effecting legal change.
Reform is currently stalled so you think this means that we have no option but to go in there kill thousands of people and install a puppet CALM THE FUCK DOWN the reform movement is strong and by no means finished.
It is far from mustering sufficient support to overthrow a government.
Your world view is just tragically simplistic, progress doesn’t always have to involve shooting lots of people and blowing stuff up you know.
It is far from wielding sufficient power to turn Tehran away from backing al-Qaeda, conducting intelligence operations against the United States, and pursuing an atomic energy program outside the bounds of its international commitments. These are immediate problems – immediate threats –, and unfortunately, we don’t have time to sit and hope for a miracle.
As I’ve said before Kast these bullshit anti-Iranian claims you habitually spew have been rebutted countless times and I’m not going to indulge your taste for public humiliation by going over them again.
Plenty of groups opposed Saddam Hussein, too, and they weren’t exactly going anywhere fast, if you catch my drift.
Are you seriously attempting to claim that the current political situation in Iran is anything like that in Iraq under Saddam? If so you are fucking insane
As for the reforms not going anywhere I thought you studied history, have you any idea of how long such movements generally take? Don’t you realise that progress in such matters isn’t steady and smooth but often stalls? Iran has come a long way since 1979 and much further than most people would have expected, despite continual attempts by the US to undermine one of the few self-determining nations in the region.
That’s exactly right. These programs take a long time. And considering the potential fallout of new terrorist attacks like the one on September 11, 2001, that’s an unacceptable risk.
For fucks sake Kast 9.11 doesn’t justify invading every country you feel like, the Iranian government wasn’t involved in 9.11 and isn’t about to start a fight with the US and it’s allies, even if the Mullahs did want to attack the US do you think they missed what happened to the Taliban in Afghanistan? They might be corrupt, repressive, fundamentalist twats but they aren’t stupid. There is no desperate race to invade Iran before “it’s too late” they are contained and rapprochement is working, there simply is no need to continue the cycle of imperial intervention and nationalistic reaction, learn from your and my countries past mistakes, take your medication and calm down.
Axis Kast
Vympel's Bitch

Post by Axis Kast »

What a pathetic straw man, if I’m on some anti-American trip then why exactly did I specifically mention MI6’s role in the Iranian coup and Europe, Russia and Turkey’s roles in imperialism in the Arab world?
Red herring. Your inclusion of MI6 and others in the discussion does not somehow negate your propensity to unnecessarily harp on every mistake that’s come out of Washington over the past fifty years. That you claim to have won some kind of victory – and an important one at that – by having brought up the Shah to compliment points I already made is merely another expression of your zealousness when it comes to “exposing the evils” of America.
The manifest errors in the bullshit you just spewed yet again have been pointed out to you countless times most recently by Patrick Degan I’m not going to indulge for fetish for humiliation by going over it again.
Patrick Deegan pointed out nothing more than that Iran had arrested some al-Qaeda members, moron. Unfortunately for you and he, however, he failed to take into account the fact that people such as Zarqawi still enjoy safe haven in that country, or that they are actively funding intelligence operations against the United States.
How many times Kast “touching” upon emasculation without mentioning the West’s role in maintaining it is only giving half the picture.
No, actually, it’s just giving the picture without all the emotive filler you do so love to add.
So if I’m playing a blame game by pointing out the disastrous results of previous imperial meddling exactly what kind of game are you playing with your bullshit “justification” for invading Iran?
Except for the fact that Iraq has absolutely no historical parallels unless one warps our involvement there entirely out of realistic context. Yes, there will be blowback. No, we aren’t going down the same path as we did with men like Pahlavi. Iraq is not a monarchy thanks to American involvement.
So if that’s a isolationist policy what’s a pragmatic policy I shudder to think what you’d consider interventionist. Wong’s approach of constructive engagement with the Arab world and attempting to stop giving them new reasons to hate is “one dimensional” whereas your kill everybody who looks at you funny approach is a “cogent re-imagining of constructive policy” you truly are delusional.
This is precisely what I’m talking about when I say that you do nothing more than create your own fantasy versions of my arguments in order to debate something you’d rather than what is actually the point at hand.

Wong’s approach is hardly “constructive engagement.” Instead, he has merely proposed that we accept his unfounded opinion that all of our problems begin and end with oil, and that all of our problems can somehow be solved by focusing primarily on oil – which, by the way, ignores that fifty and more years of American involvement in the region for other reasons, which you otherwise love to go on and on about with such passion. Al-Qaeda isn’t simply going to end its campaign of terrorism because the United States announces it will pony up whatever price Saudi Arabia suggests it should be paid. And there’s nothing more complex to Wong’s theory than that, since by definition, any attempt by the United States to enter what he calls “negotiation” would necessarily involve the same kind of maneuvering for an advantage he says we must avoid at all costs in the first place.
So Indonesia and Pakistan are places where you think the US has done nothing to antagonise people? You don’t think that the MI6 and CIA support for the coup which ousted Sukarno and installed Suharto and the massacres which followed might have upset a few Indonesians? How about the US and British support for Suharto’s brutal Kleptocratic government maybe that has something to do with it? As for Pakistan maybe continued US support for the various military dictatorships (you know like the current one) upset a few Pakistani’s.
Prove– from legitimate sources – that the CIA and MI6 had anything to do with Suharto’s rise to power.

As for Pakistan, terrorism was percolating well before the controversial arrival of the military dictatorship. The fact of the matter is that Washington has always been far more receptive to Pakistan than it has to India, meaning that the Pakistanis have much more reason to resent, say, the machinations of the former Soviet Union than they do the United States. Nevertheless, there is still great hatred for the United States. Not because of its approval of the latest military junta, but because of its visible power throughout the world – and especially in other Muslim countries.
Who said anything about giving up oil? Why exactly is it that you don’t think the Arabs would sell it to us anyway? And how on earth can you say with any degree of certainty what would have happened to Kuwait if there had been no cold war, is it the voices in your head again?
There has already been more than one suggestion on this thread that we abandon oil, genius.

We know what would have happened to Kuwait because the Cold War was virtually over when the whole crisis erupted. We didn’t go into Kuwait to protect it from the Soviets, you blithering idiot.
I know he did but I didn’t so why pretend I did?
Because this whole, larger debate includes more than just you and I.
What the hell are you talking about? That makes even less sense that you normally do, are you suggesting that there is no relationship between what the CIA, MI6 did and the effects?
I will say it again: THE FALLOUT OF OUR INSTALLATION OF THE SHAH DOES NOT CHANGE THE FACT THAT WHEN WE PUT HIM IN, WE CONSIDERED HIM A TEST CASE FOR WHAT COULD BE DONE IN OTHER NATIONS IN THE REGION.
Have you any idea how appalling callous and arrogant it is to talk of “experimenting” upon people in this way? And if you are going to characterise the installation of the puppet government upon the Iranians as an “experiment” the very least you could do is actually look at the fucking results of doing so see how disastrous they were and STOP CONSTANTLY ADVOCATING DOING THE SAME THING AGAIN.
Now you’re just trying to find some way to twist this all out of fucking context. When I call the Shah an experiment, that’s more a condemnation of the United States than of Iran, asshat.

As for “doing the same thing again,” I don’t see SAVAK in Iraq, do you? Prison abuse is one thing; organized murder quite another.
Sorry to get in the way of your persecution complex Kast but have you not noticed that my country is waist deep in Iraq as well? We have been “shoulder to shoulder” with the US every step of the way do you also accuse me of being “rabidly” anti-British?
No; I accuse you of being unable to shut the fuck up when it comes to each and every individual mistake America has ever fucking made.
It doesn’t matter if the proxy government is a coalition or a king it’s still a puppet, which will create more problems further down the line. Unless the Iraqi government is able to turn around and tell America to fuck off and choose to sell its peoples’ oil to whomever they choose at a price they agree to the Iraqis won’t accept it and it will just be the Shah all over again.
Actually, the swing factor will be whether the new Iraqi government can (A) provide stability and significant reductions in the frequency, and especially the toll, of terrorism; (B) provide for a high level of prosperity and economic functioning; and (C) in doing so, prove the validity and ATTRACTIVENESS of a democratic model that discourages discordant or aggressive behavior by both state and non-state actors.
Reform is currently stalled so you think this means that we have no option but to go in there kill thousands of people and install a puppet CALM THE FUCK DOWN the reform movement is strong and by no means finished.
Reform is stalled to the point that there is no longer any fucking means save a coup d’etat by which Iranians can change their government’s ultra-conservative policies. We’re not discussing whether or not to wait for a functional resistance with a reasonable goal of success to pull off its last big attack; we’re discussing whether or not to wait until Iranians get an opposition movement working from the ground up – AGAIN.
Your world view is just tragically simplistic, progress doesn’t always have to involve shooting lots of people and blowing stuff up you know.
Blatant strawman.
As I’ve said before Kast these bullshit anti-Iranian claims you habitually spew have been rebutted countless times and I’m not going to indulge your taste for public humiliation by going over them again.
No, they haven’t been rebutted at all. In fact, Deegan’s own article was hamstrung by an admission that the Iranians weren’t doing anything with their prisoners except sitting on them. And then we got hot air blown up our asses about the possibility of “rapproachment,” if only the U.S. would just wait for those turned-leaf Iranians to negotiate through a third party to save face. This despite their refusal to do anything meaningful about men like Zarqawi. And that’s not even mentioning Chalabi.
Are you seriously attempting to claim that the current political situation in Iran is anything like that in Iraq under Saddam? If so you are fucking insane.
The opposition under Saddam did more than create some street scuffles in Tehran.
For fucks sake Kast 9.11 doesn’t justify invading every country you feel like, the Iranian government wasn’t involved in 9.11 and isn’t about to start a fight with the US and it’s allies, even if the Mullahs did want to attack the US do you think they missed what happened to the Taliban in Afghanistan? They might be corrupt, repressive, fundamentalist twats but they aren’t stupid. There is no desperate race to invade Iran before “it’s too late” they are contained and rapprochement is working, there simply is no need to continue the cycle of imperial intervention and nationalistic reaction, learn from your and my countries past mistakes, take your medication and calm down.
That doesn’t render them harmless, fucktard. Iran is still A STATE SPONSOR OF TERRORISM at a time when AL-QAEDA IS LOOKING FOR ALLIES WITH ASSETS. They are CONDUCTING INTELLIGENCE OPERATIONS AIMED AT THE UNITED STATES. They have NOT TURNED OVER ANY OF THE PRISONERS, NOR SHARED INFORMATION despite this supposed “rapproachment” you have placed so much of your faith in. Yours is a blind optimism.
Patrick Degan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Patrick Degan »

Axis Kast wrote:
Afganistan was invaded because it was the location of the people who pulled off the WTC strikes and it's joke of a government either would not or could not turn the perpetrators over to face judgement. By contrast, in the last several years, Iran has actually been arresting Al-Qaeda agents and providing cooperation on antiterrorism. The two situations are not the same, no matter how much your addled mind believes otherwise. In point of fact:
In point of fact? In point of fact, your attempt to prove that Iran has meaningfully joined the War on Terror falls flat on its face. Right below that bolded section of your first article are nine damning words that turn your argument on its head:

Whether Iran will hand them over is another question.

A handful of arrests by themselves do not constitute a meaningful shift in Iranian policy. In fact, they can just as easily be considered a concession to the prevailing winds (whereby token counter-terrorism initiatives are used to keep Washington from taking an even harsher line) as they can a genuine effort to overcome the stormy past.
Once again, you seek to simply deny whatever doesn't fit into your moronic worldview by cherrypicking through the evidence. One statement regarding some doubt about when they might hand over Al-Qaeda suspects or precisely to whom does not defeat the central point in the two articles cited, no matter how much you clamp your ears shut and shout LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA I CAN'T HEAR YOU LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA! The Iranian actions represent far more cooperation than was received from Afganistan and a concession to rationality —the latter a process you continue to prove yourself immune to.
Chalabi was and is a liar and an opportunist who did whatever was required to make a quick buck, and the Iranians main objective was to have Saddam Hussein removed from the chessboard. It's hardly Chalabi's fault that Team Bush were stupid enough to play right into their hands.
Ah, I see. So Pearl Harbor was all Roosevelt’s fault, eh? After all, it wasn’t Japan’s fault our guard was down. They just took advantage of an opportunity anybody would have gladly welcomed.
What sort of fucked-up bullshit Red Herring is THAT?! Your glue is definitely melting.
Regardless of how many in the Bush administration are culpable for taking Chalabi at face value, and especially regardless of the man’s own personal agenda, he was still a used by Iran as a tool to mislead the United States on issues vital to national security.
Regardless of Iranian intent, the only requirement for the success of their ploy with Chalabi was a man in the White House stupid enough to bite at the disinformation without bothering to gather confirmation before proceeding to action. And disinfo ops are not acts of war but part of the intelligence game; we've certainly pulled enough disinfo ops on rival states in the past when it suited our purposes and nobody was crazy enough to consider them worthy of a military retaliation. They certainly have no remote equivalence to what was an actual sneak attack in history, so you can take your tortured attempt at a parallel with Pearl Harbour and cram it up your ass.
You are fucking insane.
Because I worry about the potential for havoc and unrestricted action posed by a nuclear Iran, a la North Korea? That’s not insanity, you fucking asshole; it’s foresight.
And how much "foresight" can you really have with your head as far up your ass as it evidently is? You see nothing, fuckface, beyond your own paranoia and have zero appreciation of the consequences of rash actions unjustified by the evidence of viable threat and which not only endanger our overall policy objectives for the Middle East but threaten actual physical disaster. Or do you think that attacking an active nuclear reactor is really a good idea?
The evidence of a budding rapproachment between Washington and Tehran above says you don't know what the fuck you're talking about.
We had a rapproachment with the Soviet Union, too. A time when both Washington and Moscow sough to deescalate tensions out of fear of the consequences of hostile confrontation. A rapproachment can signal a rearmament and onrushing reescalation as easily as the beginning of a cooperative relationship. That Iran has taken token moves no different than those of the obviously corrupt regime of Saudi Arabia says nothing conclusive about their true intentions.
Rapproachment means mutual understanding for mutual advantage, not wholesale trust and friendship. So kindly do not trot out another of your tedious False Dilemmas and leaps of illogic to justify war on the basis of being unable to have absolute certainty of Iranian intentions.
No, the point is that the United States knocked over a tinpot banana republic which was no threat to anybody and as a result has mired itself in a guerilla war it never needed to be mired in and which has fueled Al-Qaeda's membership pledge drive in ways they could not have dreamed of had we pursued a policy with some measure of sanity behind it. Such is an example of the Law of Unintended Consequences.
Red herring.
Because you say so? Uh uh. The point is entirely pertinent.
Whether Iraq was justified as per the original accusations of George W. Bush has no bearing upon whether success in rebuilding that nation pursuant to a democratic model will be sufficient to provide much-needed support to reform movements elsewhere that would otherwise never have succeeded in galvanizing the necessary majorities to effect and force change.
Except your pipedreams are not working out in reality and exactly the opposite effect is in force. Sorry if unpleasant fact doesn't suit you, but as I've said on several occasions in the past, your delusional fantasies are not my problem.
When ballots have fairly and constitutionally decided, there can be no successful appeal back to bullets.
—Abraham Lincoln

People pray so that God won't crush them like bugs.
—Dr. Gregory House

Oil an emergency?! It's about time, Brigadier, that the leaders of this planet of yours realised that to remain dependent upon a mineral slime simply doesn't make sense.
—The Doctor "Terror Of The Zygons" (1975)
Patrick Degan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Patrick Degan »

Augustus wrote:Please pardon the tardiness of my reply, RL does intrude from time to time.
Quite understandable. I'm finding RL an increasing draw on my time as well these days.
Patrick Degan wrote: I think you're trying too hard to project Western-think upon non-Western minds. The idea that Al-Qaeda wants us engaged against them indefinitely with the Middle East as the battleground makes little sense from an Islamic perspective.
Is it your contention here that "non-western" minds are fundamentally different from "western" ones?

If so I have to disagree with you. Having worked overseas in the Middle East and Africa and making several close acquaintances in the Sudan, and the UAE, I would say the value system may be different but the thought processes are the same.
It is more a matter of worldview than thought-process, which was the meaning of my point.
Al Qaeda doesn't make sense from an Islamic perspective either. That’s why I'm arguing it is a "political" entity first and foremost.
It does make sense because the Al-Qaeda ideology represents what is referred to as a Crisis Theology. The last time there was a similar movement in the Arab world was when the Madhi and his adherents overran Khartoum as the opening of their revolt against British colonialism. Crisis Theologies arise whenever conditions get to a point where a people's former understanding of how the world works and their place in it no longer applies to the reality around them and all their usual means of dealing with adversity fail them altogether. The object is to somehow recapture past glory or reform the world, usually by force.
Patrick Degan wrote:These people aren't Chicago-style ward heelers.
Sorry I missed this ref. Would you mind explaining it please?
Certainly. Ward-heelers are political hacks who deliberately prolong social and economic crisis or poor conditions in the districts they control in order to maintain their grip upon political power; they are the councilmen, aldermen, or whichever official is applicable who play upon poor conditions as the means to maintain the voting bloc among the electorate they need to ensure their continual reelection to office. Chicago was infamous for its ward-heeler politicians who maintained their grip upon the city political machine for decades and some of whom are still dug into that city's body-politic like ticks.
Patrick Degan wrote:I must point out again that Al-Qaeda had no existence before our large-scale intrusion into regional affairs over and beyond our longtime support for the corrupt shiekdoms which have ruled those countries allied to us in the region.
Actually Al Qaeda's origins are more appropriately traced back to the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan and the Carter Administrations decision to begin funding the mujahidin through Pakistan. A process started by Zbigniew Brzezinski, Carter's National Security Adviser and then amped up under Reagan's first term. But there is enough blame to go around on all sides of the political spectrum in every Administration since.
It's a matter of interpretation as to the origins, but you are correct about their roots in the Mujhadeen resistance in Afganistan.
Patrick Degan wrote:To them, the conflict against America has nothing to do with cynical manipulation of the lumpen masses. Their object is not to wield political influence but to overthrow secular/Western corruption altogether.
What do you offer as proof of this? Al Qaeda's operational doctrine was laid out in the early 80's, when groups of highly motivated were recruited to fight in Afghanistan against the Soviets. Religon was used as a tool of the recruiters to offer a justification for jihad against the communists in exactly the same way it is used today against Americans.
At that time, the Soviet Union was the active enemy who was attempting to impose outright imperial control upon Muslim lands and peoples and we were allied in the fight against that effort. The fight was religious in nature for the anti-Soviet forces then just as it is now against what they perceive as our attempt to impose outright imperial control upon Muslim lands and peoples. We weren't considered the enemy in the 80s, but that changed when we put troops into Saudi Arabia in the 90s.
Ultimately religon is just a poltical tool and has always been. Beacuse Al Qaeda is a political organisation it has simply adopted the religous language to drive recruitment, in the same fashion that was established in the 80's to recruit mujahidin.
In the case of Al-Qaeda and Wahabbi extremism, religion and politics have merged to where there is no line of demarcation between the two. It is a cardinal error to assume that purely cynical political machinations are acting as the sole driving force in this movement.
But that same religous language has nothing to do with their actual goals. If Al Qaeda's goal is to get the US to leave the Middle East alone so that an Arab Super State can be founded by overthrowing regiems influenced by "secular/Western corruption" then everything they have done from the 93 WTC Bomings, to the Kenya Embassy Bombings, to the USS Cole, to 911, to Iraq has had exactly the opposite effect. You would think they'd have noticed this by now?
Their tactics reflect the essential weakness of a terrorist movement. Terrorism is always the weapon of the weak. The Arabs certainly do not have the military force to expel us from their lands directly, so they are left to random acts of violence as their only means for striking back.
Everything leading up to 911 was an attempt to get our attention, and draw us in deeper than we already were. Anything they are going to do requires us to be there.
No, the objective of the WTC attacks was to inflict crippling economic, political and social damage upon the United States. That the Pentagon was targeted suggests that their object was also to attempt to cripple our ability to coordinate retaliation by striking at U.S. military command and control. The attack backfired horribly considering that it immediately swung world sympathy wholesale toward the United States (in addition to its failure to achieve the effect hoped for) and put both Afganistan and Al-Qaeda in the world's gunsights. Since then, however, the U.S. administration has stupidly squandered that advantage through the idiocy of the late war in Iraq and our malign neglect in the conduct of the postwar occupation.
Patrick Degan wrote:Their focus is upon America because it is Americans who are perceived as the imperial intruders into their lands —not the Russians or the Chinese, who have neither the capacity or the intent to intervene in Middle East affairs...
I mentioned the Russians, and Chinese simply because if they had as much at stake for stablitly in the Middle East then they would be the target. If it wasnt the US it would be someone else (insert Generic Superpower here). Besides all world powers historically speaking have a broad streak of Imperialism in them.
True as far as it goes. However, not all powers have been so blatant or hamfisted about it as we've been most recently. Even the Soviets through most of the Cold War operated upon a more subtle approach of cultivating friendly client-states —until they launched upon their own Afgan misadventure and doomed themselves to defeat.
Patrick Degan wrote:... nor have any particular stake in the existence of Israel. And as has been pointed out, it really is not possible to seperate Israel from any discussion of American policy in the Middle East or how it helps drive anti-American sentiment.
Israel I believe is irrelivant to the discussion. Apart from using their existance (thank you very much UN) as a recruiting tool they have done exactly zero to harrass Israel. If Al Qaeda was focused on striking Israel you would have thought that the destruction of the Shalom Meir Tower in Tel Aviv would have made a useful satement for "free Palestine", and logistically to would have been simplier for Al Qaeda to hit as well.
Israel is so security-tightened that it would have been far more difficult for an Al-Qaeda strike group to infiltrate into the country and pull off such an action. Furthermore, Israel is so inured to terrorism that the only effect of bringing down the Shalom Meir would have been far worse violence or repression against Palestinians.
The reason I wanted to leave Israel out of the discussion was that its a dead end. The US will under no circumstances abandon an Ally, policy and politics will not allow it, regardless of its morality, right or not. Further, if Israel disappeared off the map tomorrow it would not change the US's overwhealming need to impose stability on the Middle East.
Israel is a dead end, perhaps. But the fact of our one-sided support for Israel is one of the drivers of anti-American sentiment and a primary complication for our security and diplomatic objectives.
When ballots have fairly and constitutionally decided, there can be no successful appeal back to bullets.
—Abraham Lincoln

—Dr. Gregory House

Oil an emergency?! It's about time, Brigadier, that the leaders of this planet of yours realised that to remain dependent upon a mineral slime simply doesn't make sense.
Andrew J.
Sith Marauder

Post by Andrew J. »

Axis Kast wrote:But if the Iraqi people are, by and large, obviously more prosperous, more optimistic, and more content with the democratic modes of government, then there will be ripple effects for certain. Nobody's saying that a revolution in Iran or Syria would have to involve the Stars and Stripes.
That's a pretty fucking big "if" there, Axi.
Don't hate; appreciate!

RIP Eddie.
Axis Kast
Vympel's Bitch

Post by Axis Kast »

Once again, you seek to simply deny whatever doesn't fit into your moronic worldview by cherrypicking through the evidence. One statement regarding some doubt about when they might hand over Al-Qaeda suspects or precisely to whom does not defeat the central point in the two articles cited, no matter how much you clamp your ears shut and shout LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA I CAN'T HEAR YOU LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA! The Iranian actions represent far more cooperation than was received from Afganistan and a concession to rationality —the latter a process you continue to prove yourself immune to.
The central point of those two articles is worthless unless Iran does anything to our benefit with those terrorists it has captured, and turns limited operations into a more generalized campaign. At this point, there is absolutely no evidence to support your bullshit about Iran’s having chosen to turn over a new leaf. In fact, a more rational assessment would call a spade a spade and recognize those activities for what they are: token concessions made under pressure. The arrests of a few in no way make Iran a neutral player in light of their continued support for the terrorism of many.
Regardless of Iranian intent, the only requirement for the success of their ploy with Chalabi was a man in the White House stupid enough to bite at the disinformation without bothering to gather confirmation before proceeding to action. And disinfo ops are not acts of war but part of the intelligence game; we've certainly pulled enough disinfo ops on rival states in the past when it suited our purposes and nobody was crazy enough to consider them worthy of a military retaliation. They certainly have no remote equivalence to what was an actual sneak attack in history, so you can take your tortured attempt at a parallel with Pearl Harbour and cram it up your ass.
Strawman. Alone, Iran’s plot would be grounds for limited retaliation; in light of their clear and obvious support for al-Qaeda in the recent past, it’s icing on the cake. And you can stop with the playing stupid; if you solely credit Bush for giving the Iranians an opening by trusting in the INC, then you might as well solely credit the U.S. Navy (and, by extension, the Roosevelt administration) with Japanese aggression during the Second World War by failing to adhere to tactically sound procedures.
And how much "foresight" can you really have with your head as far up your ass as it evidently is? You see nothing, fuckface, beyond your own paranoia and have zero appreciation of the consequences of rash actions unjustified by the evidence of viable threat and which not only endanger our overall policy objectives for the Middle East but threaten actual physical disaster. Or do you think that attacking an active nuclear reactor is really a good idea?
Iran’s nuclear reactors have completed work-up? (And even if they have, not every large support facility oriented toward their weapons program is going to have a reactor attached to or near it.)
Rapproachment means mutual understanding for mutual advantage, not wholesale trust and friendship. So kindly do not trot out another of your tedious False Dilemmas and leaps of illogic to justify war on the basis of being unable to have absolute certainty of Iranian intentions.
A rapproachment the current diplomatic relationship between Iran and the United States is not. Unless, of course, we’re in your little fantasy world, where support for terrorism and attempts at foreign manipulation of American governments are water under the bridge and “nice work,” respectively.
The point is not pertinent, since your view of the war is irreconcilable with my own. I don’t recognize the validity of your opinions.
Except your pipedreams are not working out in reality and exactly the opposite effect is in force. Sorry if unpleasant fact doesn't suit you, but as I've said on several occasions in the past, your delusional fantasies are not my problem.
And yet, despite the insurgency, we are increasingly integrating Iraqis into important political and military positions, rebuilding a viable security force, and reestablishing a functional infrastructure – all the prerequisites for progress toward the end goal.
That's a pretty fucking big "if" there, Axi.
And yet there's still a better chance for success for our plans in Iraq than for Wong's plan to end all our strife by simply negotiating for oil or blind attempts to curl up in a virtual turtle shell and never come out again for fear of stepping on too many toes.
Patrick Degan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Patrick Degan »

Axis Kast wrote:
The central point of those two articles is worthless unless Iran does anything to our benefit with those terrorists it has captured, and turns limited operations into a more generalized campaign. At this point, there is absolutely no evidence to support your bullshit about Iran’s having chosen to turn over a new leaf. In fact, a more rational assessment would call a spade a spade and recognize those activities for what they are: token concessions made under pressure. The arrests of a few in no way make Iran a neutral player in light of their continued support for the terrorism of many.
Denial does not a rebuttal make, stupid. And I wasn't talking about Iran "turning over a new leaf" but putting forth some cooperation to their benefit. Whine and scream about it as much as you like, but the increasing contact level between Washington and Tehran makes you out to be a rank fool.
Strawman. Alone, Iran’s plot would be grounds for limited retaliation
Insane babble.
in light of their clear and obvious support for al-Qaeda in the recent past, it’s icing on the cake.
More bullshit. The point is that whatever arrangement between the mullahs and Al-Qaeda which may have existed is no longer in force. Iranian activity does not rise to the level of justification for all-out war in any rational construction of the facts. Which leaves you out, naturally.
And you can stop with the playing stupid
Not my game —I leave that entirely to you.
if you solely credit Bush for giving the Iranians an opening by trusting in the INC, then you might as well solely credit the U.S. Navy (and, by extension, the Roosevelt administration) with Japanese aggression during the Second World War by failing to adhere to tactically sound procedures.
That is so idiotic an argument that it frankly beggars description. The U.S. Navy and the Roosevelt administration didn't launch a war wholly on the basis of misinformation. Do you even have any comprehension of how unlike the two events are?!
Iran’s nuclear reactors have completed work-up? (And even if they have, not every large support facility oriented toward their weapons program is going to have a reactor attached to or near it.)
YOU were the one babbling about bombing their nuclear facilities, nitwit. To quote:
Comical Axi wrote:I did not say that we should go to war with Iran tommorrow, numbnuts, but I do advocate launching air strikes against their nuclear research facilities.
Bushehr is scheduled to run up next year. And even in facilities handling radioactive materials outside of a reactor, an airstrike could still result in the spread of radioactive materials over the general area of the facility. It's really your contention that American aims will be positively advanced by the United States causing the creation of a nuclear disaster zone or launching unilateral attacks upon a country with whom a state of war does not exist?

And how about the tactical complications, not to mention the diplomatic ones which would ensue:

Link
Policy Watch wrote:excerpt:

If the United States decided to preempt Iran's nuclear program, it could consider attacking a wider range of nuclear targets throughout the country, presumably including the Natanz centrifuge complex and, perhaps, the Arak heavy-water facility. Above-ground targets such as nuclear reactors could be attacked with cruise missiles, eliminating the challenge of securing basing rights and navigating air defenses. A wider strike would require the use of manned aircraft, however, which are much more capable of destroying buried and hardened targets. Although stealth aircraft could be used, their radar-defeating characteristics are typically supported with strikes on air defense systems. Iran's air defense system would require a substantial suppression effort, involving strikes on command centers, radar networks, and a largely unmapped web of mobile and fixed surface-to-air missile batteries. Because forward bases in the Persian Gulf and the Indian Ocean would probably not be made available to the United States, this larger effort would require intensive use of aircraft based on carriers, which could be vulnerable to Iranian antishipping attacks.

A U.S. preemptive strike would also have to take into consideration Iran's potential reaction (the subject of Part III of this series). The United States has security commitments to preempt Iranian retaliation against its Gulf bases, its Gulf Cooperation Council allies, and commercial shipping. That might require strikes on Iran's Shahab-3 long-range ballistic missiles, numerous mobile theater ballistic missiles, antishipping missiles, and certain Iranian naval and air units. Such commitments would draw considerably on those assets needed for strikes on nuclear targets, prolonging the length of any counterproliferation air campaign.

The bottom line is that the United States would find it difficult to limit an air operation against Iran to a small set of targets, as was done in the 1998 Desert Fox counterproliferation strike against Iraq. As a result, a preemptive strike against Iran could become a substantial operation.

Things are far more complicated than in your idiotic "Hulk SMASH" formulation of policy.
A rapproachment the current diplomatic relationship between Iran and the United States is not. Unless, of course, we’re in your little fantasy world, where support for terrorism and attempts at foreign manipulation of American governments are water under the bridge and “nice work,” respectively.
Strawman, and a rather obvious one. Rapproachment always occurs in stages and Washington and Tehran are tenatively at step one of the process. It is only in your fantasy world in which it's "logical" to go to war on the basis of a government's misdirection efforts.
The point is not pertinent, since your view of the war is irreconcilable with my own. I don’t recognize the validity of your opinions.
Tough shit. My fact-based view of the war happens to coincide with events as they have unfolded in reality, and not whatever the view is in that bizarre little Slider-universe you inhabit most of the time.
And yet, despite the insurgency, we are increasingly integrating Iraqis into important political and military positions, rebuilding a viable security force, and reestablishing a functional infrastructure – all the prerequisites for progress toward the end goal.
A "viable security force" that can't be counted on half the time. And the insurgency is showing no signs of abating.
—Abraham Lincoln

—Dr. Gregory House

The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

does that mean that the father of some rape victim over in Iraq is going to serve up the guilty party to our Commander in Cheif curtesy of a pie?

oh wait wrong "Titus"

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Patrick Degan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Patrick Degan »

Two more items for Comical Axi's benefit:

Linky
Ocnus Analysis wrote:Analyses Last Updated: Jul 1st, 2004 - 10:15:54

Newspaper Scrutinizes al Qaeda-Iran ties
By Asharq Al Awsat, 7/6/04
Jun 12, 2004, 07:23

Elements from Iran's security agencies, specifically the Iranian Revolutionary Guards and its Qods Force or Jerusalem Force, which is responsible for extra-territorial operations, tried to help al Qaeda cells hit U.S. and European targets in Arab Gulf states, according to Asharq Al Awsat.

A front-page article on this allegation was published last month in the London-based paper, which is among the most prominent in the Arabic-language press.

The plot was foiled when it leaked out to the Iranian president, reformer Mohammed Khatami, according to Asharq Al Awsat.

According to the newspaper, a source closely associated with the Iranian presidential office's security agency said a Revolutionary Guards official sent a report to the agency, without the knowledge of his superiors, detailing the entry of al Qaeda members into Iran to connect with sympathetic elements in the Revolutionary Guards.

There have long been rumors and allegations about Iranian cooperation with al Qaeda, and Iran has admitted to "holding" al Qaeda operatives. But this specific report by Asharq Al Awsat has so far not been confirmed by independent sources.

It is possible that this is an attempt by Asharq Al Awsat, a newspaper sponsored by Saudi Arabia, to smear Iran as a rogue state prone to supporting terrorism.

Iran seems at first glance to be a natural enemy of al Qaeda.

Tehran officially views al Qaeda, which is a Sunni organization and springs from the strict interpretation of Islam known as Wahhabism, as a terrorist organization and in the past has offered to hand over al Qaeda operatives to other governments.

Last year, President Khatami said al-Qaeda hates Iran as much as it hates the United States.

Also, Iran was a vehement enemy of the Taliban, al Qaeda's Afghan allies who were supported by Saudi Arabia. In August 1998, Iran massed troops along the Afghani borders, threatening the Taliban with military retaliation after eight Iranian diplomats were killed in Mazar el Sharif.

On the other hand, there have been numerous clashes lately between U.S. forces and Shiite militias in Iraqi Shiite cities like Najaf and Karbala. It may be that in Iran, which is a Shiite country, the difficult situation being experienced by Shiites in neighboring Iraq is pushing radical elements help al Qaeda cells against the United States.

Among the constant backdrops to the turbulence in Iraq are competing efforts by Saudi Arabia and Iran to enhance their influence in the country.

Saudi Arabia was eager to cooperate with the United States to establish the new Iraqi government. The new Iraqi president, Ghazi Al Yawar, is closely associated with Saudi Arabia.

Meanwhile, on June 7, the head of Iran's Revolutionary Guards, Maj. Gen. Yehya Safawi, blasted the new Iraqi government as "treacherous and perfidious," according to Iran's official news agency, IRNA.

Asharq Al Awsat says the Iranian official who leaked the information on the alleged al Qaeda-Revolutionary Guards collaboration has access to information on top al Qaeda operative Abu Musab al-Zarqawi, and that the al Qaeda members allegedly entering Iran were tied to al-Zarqawi.

According to the Asharq Al Awsat, these al Qaeda members intended to go to Arab states in the Gulf where they planned to form five cells: each one was to be in charge of targeting U.S. and European missions and commercial centers in a different Gulf state.

Also, the report indicated that at the time, a number of men from the Iranian Revolutionary Guards and the Qods Force had vowed to help the five terrorist cells and provide them with explosives and financial support.

One of the units that belongs to the Revolutionary Guards and is based outside Iran was to hand the al Zarqawi cells a large quantity of explosives, the newspaper said. A bag containing 900,000 dollars was given to an official in the Qods who in turn was to travel to a Gulf State and hand it to one of Al Zarqawi’s aides.

As soon as an official closely associated with President Khatami notified the president of this plot Khatami gave instructions to his security agency to foil the plan in any possible way that they saw fit. The Iranian Ministry of Security was also notified about the plan, says Asharq Al Awsat.

This ministry took quick and decisive steps to foil the plan, including arresting al Qaeda members and Al Zarqawi men in Iranian territory and detaining the official from the Qods Force in an airport while a bag full of American dollars was in his possession.

Source:Ocnus.net 2004
And:

Linky
Asia Times wrote:Iran and al-Qaeda: Odd bedfellows
By Pepe Escobar

Investigators from a special anti-terrorist cell in the European Union have expressed doubts over a Washington Post report this week in which sources claimed that Saad bin Laden, 24, Osama's eldest son, is now a top al-Qaeda member and that he runs operations out of Iran.

The paper reported its sources as saying that Saad and a close circle of about two dozen of bin Laden's trusted lieutenants are "protected by an elite, radical Iranian security force loyal to the nation's clerics and beyond the control of the central government".

Asia Times Online (see Iran lines up its al-Qaeda aces of July 2) has already reported that Iran has admitted to holding a number of al-Qaeda members in its custody.

But, Asia Times Online's European intelligence sources caution, "The leaks [to the Post], when put together, convey the impression that Iran, a Shi'ite Islamic Republic, is now supporting al-Qaeda, an Islamist, Wahhabi, terrorist, transnational organization. That is simply not true."

The attempt to throw all big cats - "axis of evil" Iran, "foreign terrorists" in Iraq and al-Qaeda - into one big bag is seen by European intelligence agencies as a crude attempt on the part of the Bush administration to "refocus" the "war on terror" from former "axis of evil" member Iraq to current member Iran, and from Saddam Hussein to the ayatollahs in Tehran. This, they say, bears a strong resemblance to the non-stop campaign in early 2003 to link Saddam to al-Qaeda, even though the evidence did not support this.

Anti-terrorist European intelligence raises several points. First, there is no proven connection between al-Qaeda and the Islamic Republic's religious leadership. And Saad is not the new Osama. According to one special investigator, "Our main target now is not Osama's son, but Muhamad Ibrahim Makkawi [aka Saif al-Adil, a former colonel in the Egyptian army, born in 1960 or 1963]. He is an explosives expert and most probably the successor of Khalid Shaikh Mohammed." Khalid Shaikh, widely reputed to be the mastermind of September 11, was captured in Pakistan in March.

Saif al-Adil has extensive combat and covert operation experience: after fighting alongside the mujahideen in Afghanistan against the Soviets in the 1980s, he founded the military branch of bin Laden's deputy Ayman al-Zawahiri's Islamic Jihad, and is considered to be the top al-Qaeda military operative still at large. Saif al-Adil has for several years been in charge of terrestrial operations, security, military education, intelligence and liaison with al-Qaeda's special forces, the infamous Brigade 055. The only known photograph of Saif al-Adil is a passport photo dating from when bin Laden was still in Sudan, in the mid-1990s.

The Americans, though, are convinced that Saif al-Adil is in Iran, along with top al-Qaeda financial expert Abdullah Ahmed Abdullah and a few dozen others, all of them under the regime's custody, but still operative.

The Europeans are not so sure: they insist that al-Qaeda's imprint is mostly in the Red Sea and the Arabian Gulf regions, not in Iran. "Most al-Qaeda leaders took refuge in the Hadramut, between Yemen and Saudi Arabia, where the bin Laden family comes from. The most influential ulemas from the Hadramut tribes are Wahhabis, as well as key officials of the Saudi security forces and the religious police." says a European intelligence operative. As for the Islamic Republic's authorities, they have always vehemently denied supporting al-Qaeda - although they have not disclosed the identities of their al-Qaeda detainees.

According to the leaks to the Post, Saad bin Laden is being protected by the elite unit among the five branches of Iran's Revolutionary Guards - the Jerusalem force (al-Quds) - which completely eludes "control from the central government".

Analysts question this possibility. Such a unit could well elude President Mohammad Khatami, but certainly not the Supreme Leader, Grand Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, to whom all security services are subordinated. And for all practical purposes, "central government" means Khamenei, not Khatami.

US intelligence is persuaded that the Jerusalem force has trained more than three dozen "foreign Islamic militant groups in paramilitary, guerrilla and terrorism" tactics, Sunni and Shi'ite alike, including Hezbollah in Lebanon and Hamas and Islamic Jihad in Palestine. That sounds like an Israeli Mossad mish-mash - once again throwing all cats into the same bag, as the agendas of Hezbollah and Palestinian liberation groups are totally different.

Although for some European intelligence sources the Jerusalem force is "a state within a state, able to offer protection to al-Qaeda", there's great skepticism towards its supposed, effective internationalist role. "Saddam Hussein also had a Jerusalem Liberation Army. It proved to be invisible, just a propaganda coup," adds another European counter-terrorist operative.

European intelligence agrees that Saif al-Adil and Abdullah Ahmed Abdullah are indeed the current top deputies to bin Laden and al-Qaeda's number two, Ayman "the Surgeon" al-Zawahiri, who now contact their operatives only through human couriers. But the assumption that Ayman al-Zawahiri used his decade-old relationship with the Jerusalem force to negotiate a safe harbor for some of al-Qaeda's leaders bombed by the Americans in Tora Bora, in southeast Afghanistan, in December 2001, is also ludicrous: these al-Qaeda leaders escaped to Pakistan's tribal areas, where they remained ever since. There's evidence that only but a few crossed the border from Pakistan's to Iran's Balochistan desert.

According to the Post, Saudi Arabia has tried to convince Iran to extradite Saad bin Laden and his al-Qaeda brothers-in-arms because they are suspected of masterminding the May 12 Riyadh suicide bombing (35 dead). According to the Saudis and the Americans, they were in contact with an al-Qaeda cell in Riyadh. The Saudis have told the Americans that there may be up to 400 al-Qaeda members holed up in Iran. European intelligence also takes this information with a pinch of salt, considering the fact that the Saudis are trying to do everything at the moment to appease America's discomfort with their role vis-a-vis what is essentially a Saudi Arabian, hardcore Islamist, terrorist organization (al-Qaeda).

The authorities in Tehran have "challenged foreign intelligence services to come up with evidence" that they are supporting al-Qaeda, according to government spokesman Abdullah Ramezanzadeh: "We have announced time and again that we will not allow these activities to take place in Iran. This is a decision taken by the highest officials in the country. The report is an absolute lie."

The regime blames the leaks that led to the report on the powerful Israeli lobby in Washington: indeed, for neo-conservatives from Pentagon number two Paul Wolfowitz down, closely intertwined with the hardline Ariel Sharon government in Israel, Iran's ayatollahs are the next big target. According to a European counter-terrorist expert, for the neo-cons "an al-Qaeda free to operate in Iran is a dream ticket in their agenda. They have already started to prepare American opinion for an attack on Iran."

Ramezanzadeh, the Iranian government spokesman, acknowledges that Iran's porous borders with Iraq, Afghanistan and Pakistan are difficult to control, so "sometimes some elements suspected of cooperating with al-Qaeda may enter the country". Al-Qaeda is supposed to have its bases along the Afghan border: American satellite photos could easily provide some evidence. The official Iranian position was spelled out by Ramezanzadeh: "We are asking all the world's security services and anyone else who has any information about these suspects to come forward with the information. After substantiating the information, we will arrest them."

Saad bin Laden is one of at least 11 sons from Osama's first wife and also first cousin, Najwa Ghanem from Syria. Out of five marriages, Osama has fathered about 20 children. Saad arrived in Iran in 2002, from Afghanistan. He is fluent in English and information technology. European intelligence operatives somewhat agree that he may now be a key player in al-Qaeda's logistics. He may have been close to, and may have learned a lot from Khalid Shaikh Mohammed. But he is not the new Osama - at least not yet. And there's still no proof that he is the Tehran ayatollahs' new lethal weapon.
I await his customary bullshit in reply.
—Abraham Lincoln

—Dr. Gregory House

Axis Kast
Vympel's Bitch

Post by Axis Kast »

Denial does not a rebuttal make, stupid. And I wasn't talking about Iran "turning over a new leaf" but putting forth some cooperation to their benefit. Whine and scream about it as much as you like, but the increasing contact level between Washington and Tehran makes you out to be a rank fool.
The “increasing contact level” between Washington and Tehran makes out nothing of the sort.
Insane babble.
So it is your opinion that foreign intelligence operations involving the distribution of false and misleading information to the United States government and the United States Armed Forces during wartime is not worthy of retaliation of any kind whatsoever? The way you talk, we should be giving the Iranians a medal for a job well done, isn’t that right?
More bullshit. The point is that whatever arrangement between the mullahs and Al-Qaeda which may have existed is no longer in force. Iranian activity does not rise to the level of justification for all-out war in any rational construction of the facts. Which leaves you out, naturally.
Iran has still not turned over al-Zarqawi, or prevented him from taking refuge within its borders, moron. Being as al-Zarqawi is the mastermind behind much of the violence in Iraq, that’s a blatantly hostile stance.
That is so idiotic an argument that it frankly beggars description. The U.S. Navy and the Roosevelt administration didn't launch a war wholly on the basis of misinformation. Do you even have any comprehension of how unlike the two events are?!
Red herring. Bush’s reasoning for our invasion of Iraq has nothing to do with an assignment of guilt in the Chalabi fiasco.
Bushehr is scheduled to run up next year. And even in facilities handling radioactive materials outside of a reactor, an airstrike could still result in the spread of radioactive materials over the general area of the facility. It's really your contention that American aims will be positively advanced by the United States causing the creation of a nuclear disaster zone or launching unilateral attacks upon a country with whom a state of war does not exist?
No, you fucking idiot, it’s my contention that American aims will be positively advanced by the retardation of Iran’s nuclear weaponization programs. For the second time now, NOT EVERY FACILITY RELATED TO OR PLAYING AN IMPORTANT ROLE IN THOSE PROGRAMS HOUSES FISSILE MATERIAL OR ACTIVE REACTORS. Not to mention that test ranges or other infrastructure are often quite isolated from inhabited areas anyway.
Things are far more complicated than in your idiotic "Hulk SMASH" formulation of policy.
“A considerable number of targets” is still quite within our capability – especially because such action would not involve ground troops or land assets save those already deployed to watch the border.
Strawman, and a rather obvious one. Rapproachment always occurs in stages and Washington and Tehran are tenatively at step one of the process. It is only in your fantasy world in which it's "logical" to go to war on the basis of a government's misdirection efforts.
Misdirection during wartime. Iran attempted to complicate the United States’ activities and draw its soldiers further into a mire. That’s not something we should let stand on the basis simply because other, less powerful nations have been forced by circumstance to do so in the past.

And stop this nonsense about “rapproachment”; you’ve been able to prove nothing more than that, like all of its neighbors, Iran has been forced into action by an aggressive administration in Washington from whom it fears retaliation for its traditional obstinacy.
A "viable security force" that can't be counted on half the time. And the insurgency is showing no signs of abating.
A viable security force that is growing larger and more competent by the weak as new equipment, new training procedures, and new elements of political control begin to appear. The insurgency will, obviously, continue for quite some time, regardless.
That Ocnus Analysis article is a bit odd, no? If the entire article is CREDITED TO Asharq Al Awsat, what he hell is this doing in the text?
It is possible that this is an attempt by Asharq Al Awsat, a newspaper sponsored by Saudi Arabia, to smear Iran as a rogue state prone to supporting terrorism.
Not to mention that he original article was apparently date-stamped JULY 7, 2004.
European intelligence agrees that Saif al-Adil and Abdullah Ahmed Abdullah are indeed the current top deputies to bin Laden and al-Qaeda's number two, Ayman "the Surgeon" al-Zawahiri, who now contact their operatives only through human couriers. But the assumption that Ayman al-Zawahiri used his decade-old relationship with the Jerusalem force to negotiate a safe harbor for some of al-Qaeda's leaders bombed by the Americans in Tora Bora, in southeast Afghanistan, in December 2001, is also ludicrous: these al-Qaeda leaders escaped to Pakistan's tribal areas, where they remained ever since. There's evidence that only but a few crossed the border from Pakistan's to Iran's Balochistan desert.
This lovely snippet actually supports my argument. Many al-Qaeda members escaped to Pakistan, but some did indeed enter Iran.
According to the Post, Saudi Arabia has tried to convince Iran to extradite Saad bin Laden and his al-Qaeda brothers-in-arms because they are suspected of masterminding the May 12 Riyadh suicide bombing (35 dead). According to the Saudis and the Americans, they were in contact with an al-Qaeda cell in Riyadh. The Saudis have told the Americans that there may be up to 400 al-Qaeda members holed up in Iran. European intelligence also takes this information with a pinch of salt, considering the fact that the Saudis are trying to do everything at the moment to appease America's discomfort with their role vis-a-vis what is essentially a Saudi Arabian, hardcore Islamist, terrorist organization (al-Qaeda).
I find it absolutely hilarious that intelligence from Saudi Arabia is automatically suspect of being false or imperiled because the Saudis have a reason to act in their own best interests, but that Iranian behavior is considered by you a genuine attempt at cooperation with the United States. Very funny.
Patrick Degan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Patrick Degan »

Axis Kast wrote:
The “increasing contact level” between Washington and Tehran makes out nothing of the sort.
Oh yes it does. You didn't even know about the exchanges between Washington and Tehran before you began your latest ravings about the Great Iranian Threat™.
So it is your opinion that foreign intelligence operations involving the distribution of false and misleading information to the United States government and the United States Armed Forces during wartime is not worthy of retaliation of any kind whatsoever? The way you talk, we should be giving the Iranians a medal for a job well done, isn’t that right?
What perfect idiocy! We weren't at war with Iraq when Chalabi was feeding us his bullshit, and no state of war exists between the United States and Iran except in your own tiny mind. It was Bush's choice to believe whatever his neocon darling was telling him because he was looking for any excuse whatsoever to go to war with Iraq. Understand, shitwit? His choice. What about this escapes your feeble intellectual grasp? Disinformation efforts do not justify all-out war in retaliation to anybody except a paranoid.
Iran has still not turned over al-Zarqawi, or prevented him from taking refuge within its borders, moron. Being as al-Zarqawi is the mastermind behind much of the violence in Iraq, that’s a blatantly hostile stance.
He's in a fucking prison cell or at the least under house-arrest, numskull —that's not "refuge"! And you are really reaching to tie al-Zarqawi as the driver behind the nationalist insurgency going on in Iraq.
Red herring. Bush’s reasoning for our invasion of Iraq has nothing to do with an assignment of guilt in the Chalabi fiasco.
Your Red Herring, actually. Bush is entirely responsible for being stupid enough to listen to Chalabi's bullshit. Nobody put a gun to Bush's head and forced him to buy into the disinfo. Or Cheney's or Wolfowitz's or Rumsfeld's or Rice's either.
No, you fucking idiot, it’s my contention that American aims will be positively advanced by the retardation of Iran’s nuclear weaponization programs. For the second time now, NOT EVERY FACILITY RELATED TO OR PLAYING AN IMPORTANT ROLE IN THOSE PROGRAMS HOUSES FISSILE MATERIAL OR ACTIVE REACTORS. Not to mention that test ranges or other infrastructure are often quite isolated from inhabited areas anyway.
But some of the primary targets will be housing radioactives, shitwit. And there is as yet zero proof that Iran is aiming for a bomb, but I guess you're relying on the same voices in your head which keep telling you that Saddam's phantom WMD arsenal exists despite all evidence to the contrary as proof of Iranian intentions as well.
“A considerable number of targets” is still quite within our capability – especially because such action would not involve ground troops or land assets save those already deployed to watch the border.
And naturally the Iranians will be gracious enough to let us bomb their country without a military response in turn. :roll:
Misdirection during wartime.
No state of war then existing, therefore not during wartime.
Iran attempted to complicate the United States’ activities and draw its soldiers further into a mire. That’s not something we should let stand on the basis simply because other, less powerful nations have been forced by circumstance to do so in the past.
So disinfo requires no other response but war? You really don't know how totally insane that sounds, do you?
And stop this nonsense about “rapproachment”; you’ve been able to prove nothing more than that, like all of its neighbors, Iran has been forced into action by an aggressive administration in Washington from whom it fears retaliation for its traditional obstinacy.
Wrong, o Paranoid One —I've demonstrated evidence of positive diplomacy between Washington and Tehran which has been accompanied by a clear racheting-down of the Axis of Evil rhetoric against Iran, and signs that Iran is not willing to trust Al-Qaeda for its own ideological reasons. That you can't bear inconvenient facts alters this not one jot, but we've already discussed your ongoing confusion of the concepts of opinion and fact and dealt with your endless bullshit denials.
A viable security force that is growing larger and more competent by the weak as new equipment, new training procedures, and new elements of political control begin to appear. The insurgency will, obviously, continue for quite some time, regardless.
As you wish...
That Ocnus Analysis article is a bit odd, no? If the entire article is CREDITED TO Asharq Al Awsat, what he hell is this doing in the text?

Because the article in question is an analysis of Asharq Al Aswat's reportage. Something you'd have picked up on barring that reading comprehension difficulty of your we identified several threads ago.
Not to mention that he original article was apparently date-stamped JULY 7, 2004.
The date of the OCNUS ANALYSIS, stupid, not the article that is the subject of the analysis.

This lovely snippet actually supports my argument. Many al-Qaeda members escaped to Pakistan, but some did indeed enter Iran.
Through a porous border which is not effectively sealed off, just like our own border with Mexico. By your logic, Pakistan is supporting Al-Qaeda because their members can slip through holes in their border security as well.

I find it absolutely hilarious that intelligence from Saudi Arabia is automatically suspect of being false or imperiled because the Saudis have a reason to act in their own best interests, but that Iranian behavior is considered by you a genuine attempt at cooperation with the United States. Very funny.
Nowhere near as hilarious as this especially pathetic Strawman of yours. At no point have I argued that Iran is exhibiting full genuine cooperation but is offering a level of cooperation as it serves their interests. The articles I've cited make this quite clear.

But by all means, embrace your delusions.
—Abraham Lincoln

—Dr. Gregory House

Axis Kast
Vympel's Bitch

Post by Axis Kast »

Oh yes it does. You didn't even know about the exchanges between Washington and Tehran before you began your latest ravings about the Great Iranian Threat™.
Maybe that’s because those exchanges mean precisely jack and shit, your blathering about the distant potential for Iranian cooperation with the United States as a somehow concrete show of good faith aside.
What perfect idiocy! We weren't at war with Iraq when Chalabi was feeding us his bullshit, and no state of war exists between the United States and Iran except in your own tiny mind. It was Bush's choice to believe whatever his neocon darling was telling him because he was looking for any excuse whatsoever to go to war with Iraq. Understand, shitwit? His choice. What about this escapes your feeble intellectual grasp? Disinformation efforts do not justify all-out war in retaliation to anybody except a paranoid.
Chalabi was feeding us false information until only recently, you fucking idiot.

And what Bush chose to believe has nothing to do with whether the Iranians initiated a hostile move against this nation at a time when American soldiers were being directed according to that information.

Of course, in your book, there’s never any reason to suspect peace-loving Iran. :roll:
He's in a fucking prison cell or at the least under house-arrest, numskull —that's not "refuge"! And you are really reaching to tie al-Zarqawi as the driver behind the nationalist insurgency going on in Iraq.
First of all, he’s a major fucking player and coordinator. You don’t ignore generals simply because they aren’t the commander-in-chief or the source of all the trouble. Nice try at deviation, though.

As for that bit about a prison cell and house arrest, prove it. Prove the Iranians have boxed al-Zarqawi.
Your Red Herring, actually. Bush is entirely responsible for being stupid enough to listen to Chalabi's bullshit. Nobody put a gun to Bush's head and forced him to buy into the disinfo. Or Cheney's or Wolfowitz's or Rumsfeld's or Rice's either.
Yes, and Roosevelt was entirely culpable because nobody forced him to ignore the sorry state of defenses around Pearl Harbor. :roll:
But some of the primary targets will be housing radioactives, shitwit.
Except that we could, I don’t know, avoid the ones that do. :roll:
And there is as yet zero proof that Iran is aiming for a bomb, but I guess you're relying on the same voices in your head which keep telling you that Saddam's phantom WMD arsenal exists despite all evidence to the contrary as proof of Iranian intentions as well.
Yes, because Iran needs electricity. :roll: When the fuck will you wake up and understand that we just can’t afford to give everyone the benefit of the fucking doubt? Especially not nations with proven ties to terrorists who strike American targets and American interests.
And naturally the Iranians will be gracious enough to let us bomb their country without a military response in turn.
Which is why we’d have forced on the Iraqi border ready to repulse any counter-attack.
Chalabi’s information was still being swallowed until a month or so ago.
So disinfo requires no other response but war? You really don't know how totally insane that sounds, do you?
Airstrikes are not war, fucktard. Although, in this case, the disinformation effort was so damaging, war would indeed be appropriate if not for the strategic situation that prevents us from acting so broadly at the moment.
Wrong, o Paranoid One —I've demonstrated evidence of positive diplomacy between Washington and Tehran which has been accompanied by a clear racheting-down of the Axis of Evil rhetoric against Iran, and signs that Iran is not willing to trust Al-Qaeda for its own ideological reasons. That you can't bear inconvenient facts alters this not one jot, but we've already discussed your ongoing confusion of the concepts of opinion and fact and dealt with your endless bullshit denials.
Gracious words about one’s enemies in the press do not positive diplomatic relationships make, genius.

“Signs” that Iran has made some token moves against al-Qaeda mean nothing more than they did in Saudi Arabia: a concession to the hyperpower of the United States. You certainly can’t argue otherwise without resorting to words like “maybe,” “potentially,” or, “possibly.”
The date of the OCNUS ANALYSIS, stupid, not the article that is the subject of the analysis.
Today is July 3, shitwit.
Through a porous border which is not effectively sealed off, just like our own border with Mexico. By your logic, Pakistan is supporting Al-Qaeda because their members can slip through holes in their border security as well.
Elements in Pakistan are supporting al-Qaeda. Yet they are cooperating.

Iran is not cooperating to that extent (and it’s equally true that they have many sympathizers in the ranks of their own government). Iran is more a threat than even Pakistan.
Nowhere near as hilarious as this especially pathetic Strawman of yours. At no point have I argued that Iran is exhibiting full genuine cooperation but is offering a level of cooperation as it serves their interests. The articles I've cited make this quite clear.
Then this is not “positive diplomacy;” it’s fancy footwork that means nothing. No new leaf. No new hope. Same old tricks. Same old Iran.
Patrick Degan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Patrick Degan »

Axis Kast wrote:
Maybe that’s because those exchanges mean precisely jack and shit, your blathering about the distant potential for Iranian cooperation with the United States as a somehow concrete show of good faith aside.
Actually, it's your opinion which means jack and shit. The actions of the Tehran government represent a tenative first step towards rapproachment no matter how deeply in denial you are over the matter.
Chalabi was feeding us false information until only recently, you fucking idiot.
But the bulk of Chalabi's disinfo about Iraq's nonexistent WMD flowed into Bush's willing ear before the war, shitwit. And his ties to Iran were no secret, either:

Linky
MSNBC/Newsweek wrote:excerpt:
Ahmad Chalabi, the longtime Pentagon favorite to become leader of a free Iraq, has never made a secret of his close ties to Iran. Before the U.S. invasion of Baghdad, Chalabi's Iraqi National Congress maintained a $36,000-a-month branch office in Tehran—funded by U.S. taxpayers. INC representatives, including Chalabi himself, paid regular visits to the Iranian capital. Since the war, Chalabi's contacts with Iran may have intensified: a Chalabi aide says that since December, he has met with most of Iran's top leaders, including supreme religious leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei and his top national-security aide, Hassan Rowhani. "Iran is Iraq's neighbor, and it is in Iraq's interest to have a good relationship with Iran," Chalabi's aide says.
And what Bush chose to believe has nothing to do with whether the Iranians initiated a hostile move against this nation at a time when American soldiers were being directed according to that information.
Uh huh:

Linky
The New Yorker wrote:excerpt:
The C.I.A. remained skeptical of the defectors that the I.N.C. was promoting, and insisted on examining them independently. President Bush was informed of the C.I.A.’s view of Chalabi soon after taking office, but he ultimately sided with Vice-President Cheney and the neocons. In the months before the invasion of Iraq, Bush and Cheney both referred in public addresses to Saddam’s mobile weapons laboratories. Six weeks before the U.S. invasion, in a February 5, 2003, address to the United Nations, Secretary of State Colin Powell—who had initially found the intelligence on W.M.D.s inconclusive—spoke of unnamed eyewitnesses, one of whom had supplied “firsthand descriptions of biological weapons factories on wheels and rails.” It was, he testified, “one of the most worrisome things that emerges from the thick intelligence file we have on Iraq.”
Disinformation hardly constitutes an act of war. There was no wider plot beyond making Saddam look as bad as possible in the hopes that the United States would bite. Bush did, and no matter how much you deny the fact, the decisions were Bush's.
Of course, in your book, there’s never any reason to suspect peace-loving Iran.
An especially pathetic strawman. You're losing your touch —such as it is.
First of all, he’s a major fucking player and coordinator. You don’t ignore generals simply because they aren’t the commander-in-chief or the source of all the trouble. Nice try at deviation, though.
Nice try at a Red Herring. Somebody who's in custody isn't in a position to direct anything.
As for that bit about a prison cell and house arrest, prove it. Prove the Iranians have boxed al-Zarqawi.
I already have, asshole. Four seperate news stories. Kindly present your evidence which contradicts this.
Yes, and Roosevelt was entirely culpable because nobody forced him to ignore the sorry state of defenses around Pearl Harbor.
You really are determined to make a total fool of yourself on this, aren't you? One More Time: Roosevelt. Did. Not. Launch. A. War. On. The. Strength. Of. Disinformation. There is no parallel between World War II and Goof War II no matter how much your feeble little brain tries to construct one. So let's have an end to this especially idiotic Red Herring, shall we?
But some of the primary targets will be housing radioactives, shitwit.
Except that we could, I don’t know, avoid the ones that do.
Not if the object is to bust up sites with enriched uranium. Or nuclear reactors which are processing bomb-grade fuel. This is unaviodable if any mission to halt a bombmaking programme is going to succeed by hitting bottleneck targets.
And there is as yet zero proof that Iran is aiming for a bomb, but I guess you're relying on the same voices in your head which keep telling you that Saddam's phantom WMD arsenal exists despite all evidence to the contrary as proof of Iranian intentions as well.
Yes, because Iran needs electricity. :roll: When the fuck will you wake up and understand that we just can’t afford to give everyone the benefit of the fucking doubt? Especially not nations with proven ties to terrorists who strike American targets and American interests.
I'm quite wide awake, thank you. It's you who needs to put down the crack-pipe and start thinking beyond terms of simple paranoia. Iran's ties to Al-Qaeda are uncertain both as to duration and extent. There has certainly been no military threat issuing from Iran, despite all their rhetoric. And unless evidence presents itself of Iranian efforts to produce a nuclear weapon, there is no credible case to make for prohibiting them from legal actions allowed under the Nuclear Nonproliferation Treaty and proceeding under IAEA monitoring or launching military strikes which may mire us in another war and further anti-American sentiment in the Middle East.
And naturally the Iranians will be gracious enough to let us bomb their country without a military response in turn.
Which is why we’d have forced on the Iraqi border ready to repulse any counter-attack.
You seriously imagine that they'd take no defensive posture during the attack? They wouldn't try to shoot down our planes before they struck? They'd wait until after the attack to do anything?
Chalabi’s information was still being swallowed until a month or so ago.
Chalabi's disinfo on Iraq's nonexistent WMD (the pertinent issue) was being fed to us before the war, and it was on that basis among other lies and fantasies that this White House rammed us into the war.
Airstrikes are not war, fucktard. Although, in this case, the disinformation effort was so damaging, war would indeed be appropriate if not for the strategic situation that prevents us from acting so broadly at the moment.
It was damaging only to the extent that we decided to swallow it wholesale with no cross-checking or verification, shitwit. Get that through your fucking thick skull.
Gracious words about one’s enemies in the press do not positive diplomatic relationships make, genius.
Neither do paranoid delusions make a case for war, shitwit. Where is the evidence that Iran is presenting a serious enough threat to justify military action or is not holding Al-Qaeda members in custody pending extradition?
“Signs” that Iran has made some token moves against al-Qaeda mean nothing more than they did in Saudi Arabia: a concession to the hyperpower of the United States. You certainly can’t argue otherwise without resorting to words like “maybe,” “potentially,” or, “possibly.”
Nobody said the case was absolute, asshole. But until Iran is clearly seen to be making serious moves against the United States, there is also no argument for justifying military action against it without resorting to words like "possibly", "must be", or "potentially".
Today is July 3, shitwit.
Evidently you didn't see the dateline stamp of "Jun 12"?
Elements in Pakistan are supporting al-Qaeda. Yet they are cooperating.
Elements in Iran may be supporting Al-Qaeda. Yet their central government is arresting Al-Qaeda members and negotiating for their extradition to face justice.
Iran is not cooperating to that extent (and it’s equally true that they have many sympathizers in the ranks of their own government). Iran is more a threat than even Pakistan.
Pakistan is far more poiltically unstable than Iran, has a far larger Wahabbist movement, has nuclear weapons already, and nuclear scientists who apparently are selling their services beyond their borders but Iran is the greater threat? You are fucking insane.
Then this is not “positive diplomacy;” it’s fancy footwork that means nothing. No new leaf. No new hope. Same old tricks. Same old Iran.
Far different posture than pre-Gulf War I, evidence of rapproachment which wasn't extant twelve years ago. Your ongoing denial of inconvenient fact matters not one jot in the scheme of things.
—Abraham Lincoln

—Dr. Gregory House

Axis Kast
Vympel's Bitch

Post by Axis Kast »

Actually, it's your opinion which means jack and shit. The actions of the Tehran government represent a tenative first step towards rapproachment no matter how deeply in denial you are over the matter.
Based on what? Your forlorn hope that there may be negotiation over the final jurisdiction of al-Qaeda in Iran, someday, somehow? That isn’t analysis; it’s unfounded bullshit.
But the bulk of Chalabi's disinfo about Iraq's nonexistent WMD flowed into Bush's willing ear before the war, shitwit. And his ties to Iran were no secret, either:
Chalabi continued feeding President Bush disinformation first spun in Iran throughout both the war and the initial months of our occupation. Whether or not President Bush should have been more wary of deception is not in question; we can all agree that he was badly duped. What we cannot agree on, however, is that the victim is always to blame for what goes wrong. Charging that Iran should be assigned no guilt for maintaining intelligence operations against the United States during wartime and then claiming instead that it should all be on George Bush’s head, is like saying that Joseph Stalin is alone responsible for Barbarossa because he didn’t think Hitler would actually invade.
Disinformation hardly constitutes an act of war. There was no wider plot beyond making Saddam look as bad as possible in the hopes that the United States would bite. Bush did, and no matter how much you deny the fact, the decisions were Bush's.
That misinformation helped bring us to and was part of the information we used to coordinate our war. Misinformation campaigns rarely come more deadly.

That part about Bush is a strawman, by the way. I’m not arguing that he’s not to blame for using that intelligence; I’m arguing that we need to hold Iran accountable for distributing it in the first place, something you’re apparently too concerned with defaming this administration to consider important at all.
Nice try at a Red Herring. Somebody who's in custody isn't in a position to direct anything.
Prove that al-Zarqawi is in custody. Last I heard, he was still coordinating strikes.
I already have, asshole. Four seperate news stories. Kindly present your evidence which contradicts this.
None of those stories talks about al-Zarqawi as having been isolated or cut off.
You really are determined to make a total fool of yourself on this, aren't you? One More Time: Roosevelt. Did. Not. Launch. A. War. On. The. Strength. Of. Disinformation. There is no parallel between World War II and Goof War II no matter how much your feeble little brain tries to construct one. So let's have an end to this especially idiotic Red Herring, shall we?
I’m not the one blaming the victim for the crime, Deegan. You’re the one who just can’t stop rabidly assaulting this nation’s current leadership for one moment in order to be able to assign blame where it is due.
Not if the object is to bust up sites with enriched uranium. Or nuclear reactors which are processing bomb-grade fuel. This is unaviodable if any mission to halt a bombmaking programme is going to succeed by hitting bottleneck targets.
That’s incorrect; we could set back their bombmaking program significantly by bombing support and subsidiary facilities. Not to mention sites that could spread radiation, so long as they are thoroughly isolated (which many usually are).
I'm quite wide awake, thank you. It's you who needs to put down the crack-pipe and start thinking beyond terms of simple paranoia. Iran's ties to Al-Qaeda are uncertain both as to duration and extent. There has certainly been no military threat issuing from Iran, despite all their rhetoric. And unless evidence presents itself of Iranian efforts to produce a nuclear weapon, there is no credible case to make for prohibiting them from legal actions allowed under the Nuclear Nonproliferation Treaty and proceeding under IAEA monitoring or launching military strikes which may mire us in another war and further anti-American sentiment in the Middle East.
Iran has supported terrorism in the past, and continues to do so. They have launched a disinformation campaign intending to embroil the United States in both conventional and unconventional warfare, and provided data through their agents that has made stemming outbreaks of violence more difficult. Currently, they are stonewalling before the IAEA. Unlike you, that doesn’t incline me to give them the benefit of the doubt when it comes to nuclear weapons – especially not with an awful excuse such as that their program is oriented toward producing nuclear energy.
You seriously imagine that they'd take no defensive posture during the attack? They wouldn't try to shoot down our planes before they struck? They'd wait until after the attack to do anything?
Are you fucking stupid? We shouldn’t attack Iran because their dated aircraft and Cold War-era air defense network might defend them? Well, yes, that’s what I thought they’d do, fucktard.
Chalabi's disinfo on Iraq's nonexistent WMD (the pertinent issue) was being fed to us before the war, and it was on that basis among other lies and fantasies that this White House rammed us into the war.
Red herring. Chalabi’s deceit continued until only recently. And for the umpteenth time, stop with the Bush tangent. We can agree that Bush made huge mistakes. That does not, however, exonerate Iran.
It was damaging only to the extent that we decided to swallow it wholesale with no cross-checking or verification, shitwit. Get that through your fucking thick skull.
THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH IRANIAN GUILT, YOU FUCKING MORON. WE ARE NOT DISCUSSING WHETHER OR NOT BUSH MADE A MISTAKE; WE ARE DISCUSSING WHETHER OR NOT TO LET THIS INCIDENT SLIDE BY MAKING FOOLISH EXCUSES TO UNREASONABLY DISMISS IRAN’S ROLE AND LET THIS TRAVESTY GO UNPUNISHED.
Nobody said the case was absolute, asshole. But until Iran is clearly seen to be making serious moves against the United States, there is also no argument for justifying military action against it without resorting to words like "possibly", "must be", or "potentially".
Serious moves like, I don’t know, trying to force us into a war? Serious moves like, I don’t know, funding global terrorism? :roll:
It was dated July, moron.
Elements in Iran may be supporting Al-Qaeda. Yet their central government is arresting Al-Qaeda members and negotiating for their extradition to face justice.
Liar. There have been no negotiations; there are hopes for negotiations. That’s the problem with your fucking argument. You’re the one talking about potentiality here.

Not to mention that a nation is no longer considered sovereign if it cannot exercise power over arms of its own government within reasonable bounds. Iran has certainly failed to live up to that standard (take the Iranian government’s incoherence on the British prisoner issue). They have become, to say the least, a liability. If they can no longer control large fractions of their own armed forces and intelligence arms, then we have to seriously consider whether we can consider that government capable of positive, constructive negotiation.
Pakistan is far more poiltically unstable than Iran, has a far larger Wahabbist movement, has nuclear weapons already, and nuclear scientists who apparently are selling their services beyond their borders but Iran is the greater threat? You are fucking insane.
Okay; you’ve convinced me. Pakistan is the worse offender. Of course, Pakistan is now beyond our means of retribution. Iran will not be for a short while longer. If you think Pakistan is a threat that should have been handled when we had the chance, why not Iran?
Far different posture than pre-Gulf War I, evidence of rapproachment which wasn't extant twelve years ago. Your ongoing denial of inconvenient fact matters not one jot in the scheme of things.
“Inconvenient fact?” Your "evidence" for “rapproachment” is your own expectation that Iran might, someday, possibly open channels to bargain for terrorists. Just because they've stopped talking big doesn't mean they're no longer a threat, fuckwit.
Patrick Degan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Patrick Degan »

Axis Kast wrote:
Based on what? Your forlorn hope that there may be negotiation over the final jurisdiction of al-Qaeda in Iran, someday, somehow?
No, based on the facts of the matter.
That isn’t analysis; it’s unfounded bullshit.
A more perfect description of your posts I've never heard.
Chalabi continued feeding President Bush disinformation first spun in Iran throughout both the war and the initial months of our occupation. Whether or not President Bush should have been more wary of deception is not in question; we can all agree that he was badly duped. What we cannot agree on, however, is that the victim is always to blame for what goes wrong. Charging that Iran should be assigned no guilt for maintaining intelligence operations against the United States during wartime and then claiming instead that it should all be on George Bush’s head, is like saying that Joseph Stalin is alone responsible for Barbarossa because he didn’t think Hitler would actually invade.
Sorry, but your pathetic whitewash of Bush's idiocy does not manufacture a case for war based upon another nation's counterintelligence operations, nor does another of your insanely inappropriate attempts at a historical parallel. Wartime decisions were not being made on the basis of Chalabi's bullshit —the decision to go to war in the first place was. That's down to Bush not bothering to verify the information he was being given because he didn't want to hear anything which contradicted his case for war. Chalabi told Bush everything he wanted to hear, and he ignored the CIA's doubts about the man's credibility.
That misinformation helped bring us to and was part of the information we used to coordinate our war. Misinformation campaigns rarely come more deadly.
No, it was Bush's decisionmaking which was deadly. Willful ignorance. Iran is not to blame for Bush being a perfect imbecile.
That part about Bush is a strawman, by the way. I’m not arguing that he’s not to blame for using that intelligence; I’m arguing that we need to hold Iran accountable for distributing it in the first place, something you’re apparently too concerned with defaming this administration to consider important at all.
Appeal to Motive Fallacy. We're not arguing about Iran engaging in counterintel ops designed to steer Bush the wrong way. The crux of the matter is the fact that the plot would never have worked if this White House had bothered to actually verify the alleged "facts" it was receiving before taking action. It didn't, and all your bullshit obsfuction does not erase that fact no matter how much you dearly wish it did. Bush did not have to go to war. Iraq was no threat to the United States. But Bush's obsession with Iraq and his reliance upon political hacks for information instead of professionals short-circuited the sort of verification process which would have neutraised Iranian counterintelligence. Those are facts, shitwit, and those are what defame this administration.
Prove that al-Zarqawi is in custody. Last I heard, he was still coordinating strikes.
You "heard", eh? And you ask me to prove my points? Laughable.
None of those stories talks about al-Zarqawi as having been isolated or cut off.
Try a little process known as "reading", asshole:
The Tehran government is holding several top-level Al Qaeda operatives that, experts say, could lead to the biggest breakthrough in curtailing the organization since the fall of Afghanistan.

Though the Iranians haven't mentioned any names, intelligence officials and press reports indicate they've captured Saad bin Laden, Osama bin Laden's son, who has assumed a leadership role; Sulaiman Abu Ghaith, the Al Qaeda spokesman; and Saif al-Adel, the latest No. 3 who is believed to be in charge of military operations.

Even more significant, according to one Western intelligence official, Tehran is also holding Al Qaeda's No. 2, Ayman al-Zawahiri, who is known as an Islamic fundamentalist intellectual and eloquent speaker for the organization. While some US intelligence sources have expressed doubt that Iran really has Dr. Zawahiri, the European official says Tehran "absolutely" has him.

If so, his capture, along with that of the other top members, would deal a major blow to the terrorist network. "Zawahiri would be an incredible blow," says Stanley Bedlington, a former senior analyst in the CIA's counterterrorism center.
"All four of them would be a tremendous blow.... Al Qaeda will continue to rebuild, but it will take a lot of time to get new leadership with those sorts of skills and experience."
What is it about the sentence "Tehran is also holding Al-Qaeda's No. 2, Ayman al-Zawahiri, who is known as an Islamic fundamentalist intellectual and eloquent speaker for the organisation" which eludes you?
I’m not the one blaming the victim for the crime, Deegan. You’re the one who just can’t stop rabidly assaulting this nation’s current leadership for one moment in order to be able to assign blame where it is due.
Appeal to Motive Fallacy yet again.
That’s incorrect; we could set back their bombmaking program significantly by bombing support and subsidiary facilities. Not to mention sites that could spread radiation, so long as they are thoroughly isolated (which many usually are).
Unless there are fires and radioactive material burns, stupid. And you still blithely assume that any strikes will not be met with antiaircraft defence.
Iran has supported terrorism in the past, and continues to do so.
By that logic, so does Saudi Arabia and Pakistan.
They have launched a disinformation campaign intending to embroil the United States in both conventional and unconventional warfare, and provided data through their agents that has made stemming outbreaks of violence more difficult.
That is why the function of intelligence is to sort out true information from misinformation, numbskull.
Currently, they are stonewalling before the IAEA. Unlike you, that doesn’t incline me to give them the benefit of the doubt when it comes to nuclear weapons – especially not with an awful excuse such as that their program is oriented toward producing nuclear energy.
And in all this bullshit you're spewing, I'm still not hearing any evidence —hard, verifiable evidence— which says the Iranians are making bombs. Once more, opinions are not facts, despite your ongoing confusion of the two concepts.
Are you fucking stupid? We shouldn’t attack Iran because their dated aircraft and Cold War-era air defense network might defend them? Well, yes, that’s what I thought they’d do, fucktard.
That's not the point, shitwit. The point is that we'd have to suppress their air defences before even getting to any of the primary targets, which means this won't be a limited operation but effectively an all-out invasion against a country which is not presenting a credible threat either to the United States or to any regional state to justify a war.

And as for those "primitive" defences:
BBC News wrote:Tuesday, June 29, 1999 Published at 21:33 GMT 22:33 UK

World: Middle East

Iran 'makes own warplane'

Iran's military machine appears to be getting more sophisticated

Iran is reported to have begun producing a locally developed fighter aircraft called the Azarakhsh or Lightning.

British defence journal Jane's Defence Weekly reports that production of the new plane was disclosed to Tehran newspapers by air force General Habibollah Bagai.

The journal says the aircraft is a light fighter and ground attack plane with avionics and radar of Iranian design, and "certain critical components" of Russian origin. Jane's Defence Weekly says its sources describe the Azarakhsh as "a highly capable aircraft despite its conventional design".

Iran supplemented its air force with Soviet-built MiGs
Until now, Iran's air force has been based on US planes supplied before the Islamic revolution in 1979.

These include Northrop F-5s, Grumman F-14As and McDonnell Douglas F4 Phantoms. The new Iranian designed plane is believed to resemble the F-5 with a payload of about 4,000kg.

Iran also received some MiG-29s from the Soviet Union in the early 1990s and has held on to other Soviet and Chinese-built planes that flew from Iraq to escape the bombing campaign in the 1990-91 Gulf War.

Jane's Defence Weekly reports that Iranian Aviation Industries is working on various ways of upgrading the capabilities of these older aircraft. The company is also reported to be starting production of a locally designed jet trainer.

Gulf fears

Iran's military capabilities are closely monitored by her neighbours in the Gulf.

There was considerable concern about the delivery of Russian submarines earlier in the decade. More recently the United States and Israel have expressed concern about the development of Iran's missile capability.

In May Iran announced that it was carrying out military exercises aimed at testing new equipment made or repaired in the country. The weapons included helicopters, tanks and planes.
This aside from imported Nodongs and Silkworms augmenting Iran's missile force.
Red herring. Chalabi’s deceit continued until only recently. And for the umpteenth time, stop with the Bush tangent. We can agree that Bush made huge mistakes. That does not, however, exonerate Iran.
Cease your attempts at misdirection. Iran's disinfo campaign required only one thing for it to work: Bush's stupidity.
THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH IRANIAN GUILT, YOU FUCKING MORON. WE ARE NOT DISCUSSING WHETHER OR NOT BUSH MADE A MISTAKE; WE ARE DISCUSSING WHETHER OR NOT TO LET THIS INCIDENT SLIDE BY MAKING FOOLISH EXCUSES TO UNREASONABLY DISMISS IRAN’S ROLE AND LET THIS TRAVESTY GO UNPUNISHED.
War is an appropriate punisment only in that psychotic little brain of yours.
No argument for justifying military action against it without resorting to words like "possibly", "must be", or "potentially".
Serious moves like, I don’t know, trying to force us into a war?
And how did they "force us" into war, Gracie? Did the Iranians threaten Bush if he didn't choose to belive Chalabi's bullshit and declare war on Iraq?
Serious moves like, I don’t know, funding global terrorism?
By that "logic", we must immediately declare war on Pakistan and Saudi Arabia.
It was dated July, moron.
Wrong, asshole. The dating "7/6/2004" goes by the international standard of Day/Month/Year —7 June 2004. Something backed up by the ONCUS article dating of June 12. Just have to connect all the dots for you, don't I?
Liar.
You certainly are.
There have been no negotiations; there are hopes for negotiations. That’s the problem with your fucking argument. You’re the one talking about potentiality here.
Sigh:
IRAN is preparing to strike a deal with America to hand over Osama bin Laden’s two top acolytes in return for its removal from US President George Bush’s "axis of evil".

According to European diplomats involved in talks with the Iranians about the country’s development of nuclear technology, its government sees the dozen senior members of al-Qaeda and 50 fighters living there as a way to win concessions from the US.

Iran wants the Americans to accept it can build nuclear power stations and for the US to clamp down on a rebel movement, Mujahideen-e-Khalq, which is seeking to overthrow the Islamic republic. The rebels have had offices in the US - despite being named on the State Department’s list of terrorist organisations - and it continues to operate freely in Iraq.

The thaw in feelings towards Washington became apparent when officials from Germany, France and Britain negotiated Iran’s agreement to allow inspection of its nuclear facilities by the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA).
The Faye Bowers article calls you the liar here, Comical Axi, not me.
Not to mention that a nation is no longer considered sovereign if it cannot exercise power over arms of its own government within reasonable bounds. Iran has certainly failed to live up to that standard (take the Iranian government’s incoherence on the British prisoner issue). They have become, to say the least, a liability. If they can no longer control large fractions of their own armed forces and intelligence arms, then we have to seriously consider whether we can consider that government capable of positive, constructive negotiation.
What absolute bullshit! You just manufacture more and more pseudo-arguments to defend a threadbare position. There is no indication that Iran has lost control of large factions of their armed forces, nor that their government is unstable. You cannot make that argument without also arguing the parallel case for war with Pakistan. And the "loss of soverignty" argument is something you've clearly pulled out your own ass.
Okay; you’ve convinced me. Pakistan is the worse offender. Of course, Pakistan is now beyond our means of retribution. Iran will not be for a short while longer. If you think Pakistan is a threat that should have been handled when we had the chance, why not Iran?
Can a strawman get more obvious or clumsy? Pakistan, to date, has not presented a threat to the United States and Iran less so. Stop wanking off to PNAC's delusional fantasies and you might recognise that war is not the sole option to American security challenges in the region or the optimal solution. I was never arguing for war with Pakistan "when we had the chance" and the arguments against war with Iran are valid on the same grounds.
“Inconvenient fact?” Your "evidence" for “rapproachment” is your own expectation that Iran might, someday, possibly open channels to bargain for terrorists. Just because they've stopped talking big doesn't mean they're no longer a threat, fuckwit.
The Faye Bowers article says you're either a liar or insane.
—Abraham Lincoln

—Dr. Gregory House

Axis Kast
Vympel's Bitch

Post by Axis Kast »

Sorry, but your pathetic whitewash of Bush's idiocy does not manufacture a case for war based upon another nation's counterintelligence operations, nor does another of your insanely inappropriate attempts at a historical parallel. Wartime decisions were not being made on the basis of Chalabi's bullshit —the decision to go to war in the first place was. That's down to Bush not bothering to verify the information he was being given because he didn't want to hear anything which contradicted his case for war. Chalabi told Bush everything he wanted to hear, and he ignored the CIA's doubts about the man's credibility.
Listen, moron. Nobody’s whitewashing anything. If you think Bush needs to go because he relied too heavily on intelligence you think he should have been more guarded about, that’s one thing. But to argue that Iran should go unpunished for feeding the United States government information that led us to war – and guided our decisions during that war, since Chalabi only fell from favor less than two months ago – is another thing entirely. You’re so eager to go after Bush, you’re willing to forgive anyone and anything for any transgression.
No, it was Bush's decisionmaking which was deadly. Willful ignorance. Iran is not to blame for Bush being a perfect imbecile.
Are you fucking insane? Iran fed us intelligence through Chalabi that took us to war. If Iran fed data to agents in Iraq, on the basis of which Kuwait was invaded in 1991, we’d be screaming for blood. But no, since Bush is involved, you must dump all the blame squarely on his shoulders, everyone else be damned. And you accuse me of being blind. :roll:
Appeal to Motive Fallacy. We're not arguing about Iran engaging in counterintel ops designed to steer Bush the wrong way. The crux of the matter is the fact that the plot would never have worked if this White House had bothered to actually verify the alleged "facts" it was receiving before taking action. It didn't, and all your bullshit obsfuction does not erase that fact no matter how much you dearly wish it did. Bush did not have to go to war. Iraq was no threat to the United States. But Bush's obsession with Iraq and his reliance upon political hacks for information instead of professionals short-circuited the sort of verification process which would have neutraised Iranian counterintelligence. Those are facts, shitwit, and those are what defame this administration.
Red herring. We are not discussing the war. We are discussing what kind of ramifications should be handed out to Iran as regards their obvious efforts to mislead the United States.

Saying that Bush is to blame because it was his decisions that made the Iranian operation so successful is like saying that one doesn’t punish perpetrators as long as their crime is complete, but rather victims, because of their own stupidity or carelessness.
You "heard", eh? And you ask me to prove my points? Laughable.
Prove it or drop it.
What is it about the sentence "Tehran is also holding Al-Qaeda's No. 2, Ayman al-Zawahiri, who is known as an Islamic fundamentalist intellectual and eloquent speaker for the organisation" which eludes you?
al-Zarqawi, not al-Zawahiri, genius. :roll:
Unless there are fires and radioactive material burns, stupid. And you still blithely assume that any strikes will not be met with antiaircraft defence.
Which is why we analyze data and determine weather patterns before launching missions, stupid.

And no, I don’t blithely assume anything about Iranian defenses. I have never said that the strikes would be made against defenseless targets. That’s a lie you concocted all on your own.
Of course, Pakistan is beyond our reach, and we’ve successfully pushed Saudi Arabia to do far more than Iran. Although I agree that Saudi Arabia is long overdue for punishment.
And in all this bullshit you're spewing, I'm still not hearing any evidence —hard, verifiable evidence— which says the Iranians are making bombs. Once more, opinions are not facts, despite your ongoing confusion of the two concepts.
Why the fuck do you think Iran needs a nuclear energy plant, moron? Because all of a sudden they’re taking an interest in an infrastructure aside from defense engineering or oil production? I think not. Iran is a state sponsor of terrorism and has pursued clearly anti-American agendas in the recent past. The time to extend them the benefit of the doubt has passed beyond all reason.
That's not the point, shitwit. The point is that we'd have to suppress their air defences before even getting to any of the primary targets, which means this won't be a limited operation but effectively an all-out invasion against a country which is not presenting a credible threat either to the United States or to any regional state to justify a war.
I’d say contributing to information that helped lead the United States into war is a credible threat.

As for regional states, why the fuck do you think we didn’t fully disarm Saddam after ’91? Because we were afraid the fucking aliens would land?

Heavy air strikes do not constitute an “all-out invasion,” shitwit. Iraq’s F-14s are barely flying after decades of going without proper maintenance. The new aircraft you posed about were without specifications. In fact, all we know is that they are supposedly roughly comparable to a fighter we stopped using for anything but training missions over a decade and a half ago.
Cease your attempts at misdirection. Iran's disinfo campaign required only one thing for it to work: Bush's stupidity.
So if a guard leaves the door open, it isn’t a crime, right?
No, war would be an appropriate punishment if the strategic situation was fitting. In this case, we will have to content ourselves with air strikes against Iranian nuclear facilities and staunch opposition in international bodies.
And how did they "force us" into war, Gracie? Did the Iranians threaten Bush if he didn't choose to belive Chalabi's bullshit and declare war on Iraq?
They fed us false information, fucktard. If we gave the British faulty satellite photographs and sent them to war on the back of bad intelligence that they took as the real thing, that wouldn’t be a simple mistake on Blair’s part, but a HOSTILE FUCKING ACT ON OURS.
But we can’t, because Pakistan has nuclear weapons. And declaring war on Saudi Arabia while we’re already in Iraq would be stupid. Notice that I advocate air strikes against Iran’s nuclear infrastructure, not all-out invasion within the next several years.
IRAN is preparing to strike a deal with America to hand over Osama bin Laden’s two top acolytes in return for its removal from US President George Bush’s "axis of evil".

According to European diplomats involved in talks with the Iranians about the country’s development of nuclear technology, its government sees the dozen senior members of al-Qaeda and 50 fighters living there as a way to win concessions from the US.
Negotiations are about to begin? Why is there no date? Why is there no mention of this outside the realm of speculation? The Iranian government’s hopes and dreams as told by unnamed “European diplomats” isn’t a working summit.
Iran wants the Americans to accept it can build nuclear power stations and for the US to clamp down on a rebel movement, Mujahideen-e-Khalq, which is seeking to overthrow the Islamic republic. The rebels have had offices in the US - despite being named on the State Department’s list of terrorist organisations - and it continues to operate freely in Iraq.

The thaw in feelings towards Washington became apparent when officials from Germany, France and Britain negotiated Iran’s agreement to allow inspection of its nuclear facilities by the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA).
Completely unfounded speculation. Iran’s acquiescence can be read as a cave-in to international demands and an attempt to deflect future criticisms and preempt international embargoes as readily as it can a genuine move to repair relations with the United States in particular.
What absolute bullshit! You just manufacture more and more pseudo-arguments to defend a threadbare position. There is no indication that Iran has lost control of large factions of their armed forces, nor that their government is unstable. You cannot make that argument without also arguing the parallel case for war with Pakistan. And the "loss of soverignty" argument is something you've clearly pulled out your own ass.
Take a first year political science course, asshat. In order to be considered sovereign, one must have reasonable control over the goings-on within one’s own territory, a functioning political infrastructure, and a reasonable capability to prevent or respond to circumvention either on its own, or through the means of allies invited to restore that order. But we know that the Iranian government is having trouble dealing with the Revolutionary Guard. We also know that the conventional military, the government, and the Revolutionary Guard don’t function without considerable infighting and public power struggles. Hell, the Iranians can’t even prevent the continued operation of a large network of al-Qaeda sympathizers and supporters within that military. Their sovereignty is thus in question.
Can a strawman get more obvious or clumsy? Pakistan, to date, has not presented a threat to the United States and Iran less so. Stop wanking off to PNAC's delusional fantasies and you might recognise that war is not the sole option to American security challenges in the region or the optimal solution. I was never arguing for war with Pakistan "when we had the chance" and the arguments against war with Iran are valid on the same grounds.
Pakistan is indeed a threat. In fact, Pakistan is far more a threat than Afghanistan ever was, even considering the presence of a man like Musharrif in the halls of power there. Now you’re just offering negatives to whatever I say, regardless of what it is.
Actually, the Faye Bowers article says very little at all.
Patrick Degan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Patrick Degan »

Axis Kast wrote:Listen, moron. Nobody’s whitewashing anything.
You most certainly are, but that's become rather obvious.
If you think Bush needs to go because he relied too heavily on intelligence you think he should have been more guarded about, that’s one thing. But to argue that Iran should go unpunished for feeding the United States government information that led us to war – and guided our decisions during that war, since Chalabi only fell from favor less than two months ago – is another thing entirely.
Only a psychotic actually believes that a disinformation effort requires war as an appropriate response. You still don't get the concept of proportion. And you've yet to demonstrate that tactical decisions made during the war were based upon disinformation. Or that Chalabi was still feeding Iranian disinfo after the war began; something which is not established simply by his only falling from grace two months ago.
You’re so eager to go after Bush, you’re willing to forgive anyone and anything for any transgression.
My my, an Appeal to Motive Fallacy and a Strawman Fallacy in one sentence.
Are you fucking insane? Iran fed us intelligence through Chalabi that took us to war. If Iran fed data to agents in Iraq, on the basis of which Kuwait was invaded in 1991, we’d be screaming for blood. But no, since Bush is involved, you must dump all the blame squarely on his shoulders, everyone else be damned. And you accuse me of being blind.
No, Bush took us to war because he never considered any other option, and he believed what he wanted to believe, which is what Chalabi gave him. Your endlessly demented ravings do not alter this fact one whit. Bush was under no obligation to go to war in Iraq.
Red herring. We are not discussing the war. We are discussing what kind of ramifications should be handed out to Iran as regards their obvious efforts to mislead the United States.
Your Red Herring, actually, and it's getting quite rancid. Nobody's saying Iran didn't feed us disinformation. We are discussing how Bush didn't bother to verify the information coming from a man the CIA had tagged as unreliable before 2002 and cheerfully let himself be led up the garden path.
Saying that Bush is to blame because it was his decisions that made the Iranian operation so successful is like saying that one doesn’t punish perpetrators as long as their crime is complete, but rather victims, because of their own stupidity or carelessness.
So, by that theory, the United States should be punished every time our intel services engage in disinfo ops against other nations? War is the only response to disinfo from any nation? You don't even see how utterly insane this argument is, do you?
al-Zarqawi, not al-Zawahiri, genius.
Fair's fair —I take the hit for that one.
Which is why we analyze data and determine weather patterns before launching missions, stupid.
To determine which group of people get fallout dumped on them, asshole?
And no, I don’t blithely assume anything about Iranian defenses. I have never said that the strikes would be made against defenseless targets. That’s a lie you concocted all on your own.
Strawman. You're the one who's babbling about not being concerned with Iranian defences as a factor in the difficulties of a mission, and you continue to ignore the point particularly in regards to how limited the mission would be.
Of course, Pakistan is beyond our reach, and we’ve successfully pushed Saudi Arabia to do far more than Iran. Although I agree that Saudi Arabia is long overdue for punishment.
More insane babble. How many nations do you actually imagine we can "punish" without making the United States the world's enemy, or at the least hopelessly damaging any chance at a constructive foreign policy in the Middle East?
Why the fuck do you think Iran needs a nuclear energy plant, moron? Because all of a sudden they’re taking an interest in an infrastructure aside from defense engineering or oil production? I think not. Iran is a state sponsor of terrorism and has pursued clearly anti-American agendas in the recent past. The time to extend them the benefit of the doubt has passed beyond all reason.
In your opinion —which is quite worthless.
I’d say contributing to information that helped lead the United States into war is a credible threat.
Only in that demented little brain of yours. A threat is of a whole different character from disinformation; the former requires concrete actions leading to direct imperilment, the latter requires only the stupidity of the intended object of the disinformation.
As for regional states, why the fuck do you think we didn’t fully disarm Saddam after ’91? Because we were afraid the fucking aliens would land?
Which supports your lunatic ravings how, exactly?
Heavy air strikes do not constitute an “all-out invasion,” shitwit.
Nor was it meant as anything beyond metaphor, asshole.
Iraq’s F-14s are barely flying after decades of going without proper maintenance. The new aircraft you posed about were without specifications. In fact, all we know is that they are supposedly roughly comparable to a fighter we stopped using for anything but training missions over a decade and a half ago.
Again, we're not talking about whether Iran's air defences actually pose a threat (and you forgot about the MiG 29s and the missiles) but the fact that we'd be having to launch a general campaign of aggression against a state which has not provided a justifiable threat.
So if a guard leaves the door open, it isn’t a crime, right?
Disinfo isn't a crime, asshole; it's counterintelligence. Bush didn't "leave a door open", he believed bullshit because he sought justifications for his fixed decision to go to war.
No, war would be an appropriate punishment if the strategic situation was fitting. In this case, we will have to content ourselves with air strikes against Iranian nuclear facilities and staunch opposition in international bodies.
Except the strategic situation is not nor would ever be fitting, and trying to hang a justification for outright aggression against a state which doesn't present a justifiable threat on the basis of standard counterintelligence represents an arrogant stupidity which beggars description.
They fed us false information, fucktard. If we gave the British faulty satellite photographs and sent them to war on the back of bad intelligence that they took as the real thing, that wouldn’t be a simple mistake on Blair’s part, but a HOSTILE FUCKING ACT ON OURS.
You mean... like those fake satellite photos Colin Powell put up before the United Nations? Trying to broaden the definition of hostile action to include counterintelligence doesn't cut it, Comical Axi. No matter what the Iranian intel services did, the decisions Bush made were already in line with his determination to go to war with Iraq. Iran sold him just what he wanted to justify his preconceived notions. Like the existence of Saddam's alleged vast WMD arsenal the reality of which was already dubious in the wake of the UNSCOM and UNMOVIC inspections.
But we can’t, because Pakistan has nuclear weapons. And declaring war on Saudi Arabia while we’re already in Iraq would be stupid. Notice that I advocate air strikes against Iran’s nuclear infrastructure, not all-out invasion within the next several years.
So basically its going after another far weaker nation because supposedly we can. And the prospect of Iranian retaliation almost makes it impossible not to consider the very real possibility of a wider war breaking out.

Negotiations are about to begin? Why is there no date? Why is there no mention of this outside the realm of speculation? The Iranian government’s hopes and dreams as told by unnamed “European diplomats” isn’t a working summit.
Talks are proceeding, or did you simply skip over that bit in the article? What ever do you think negotiation is, asswipe?! Not speculation —elsewise the piece would have said "the possibility of talks before preliminary negotiations" or somesuch. Nice try at moving the goalposts.

Completely unfounded speculation. Iran’s acquiescence can be read as a cave-in to international demands and an attempt to deflect future criticisms and preempt international embargoes as readily as it can a genuine move to repair relations with the United States in particular.
No, asshole —FACT. Nothing in the article text speaks to this being speculation. I grow tired of your endless bullshit on this subject.
Take a first year political science course, asshat. In order to be considered sovereign, one must have reasonable control over the goings-on within one’s own territory, a functioning political infrastructure, and a reasonable capability to prevent or respond to circumvention either on its own, or through the means of allies invited to restore that order.
Wrong, fuckface. The definition of soverignty does not depend upon ironclad control over every action taking place within a nation's borders but exists by definition for any state not under foreign control. Something you'd have learned if you hadn't flunked grade-school social studies.
But we know that the Iranian government is having trouble dealing with the Revolutionary Guard. We also know that the conventional military, the government, and the Revolutionary Guard don’t function without considerable infighting and public power struggles. Hell, the Iranians can’t even prevent the continued operation of a large network of al-Qaeda sympathizers and supporters within that military. Their sovereignty is thus in question.
In a word, bullshit. I see we're on to yet another of your patently dishonest attempts to redefine words to suit your purposes. A nation's internal political troubles do not invite outside intervention as a matter of course, as even a casual perusal of the UN Charter reveals. Soverignty isn't dependent upon 100% internal stability or upon internal stability at all. Nor do we have any clear picture as to the size of any Al-Qaeda network operating within Iran, but evidence that the Iranian government has been arresting and detaining Al-Qaeda operatives. Soverignty is not in question, since no nation has any authority to decide the matter for another nation.
Pakistan is indeed a threat. In fact, Pakistan is far more a threat than Afghanistan ever was, even considering the presence of a man like Musharrif in the halls of power there. Now you’re just offering negatives to whatever I say, regardless of what it is.
No, I offer negatives to your patently insane "arguments", your dishonest redefinitions, and your half-baked opinions which you continue to believe count as valid evidence of anything. Pakistan has not acted in any sort of hostile character against the United States and, instead, has provided extensive cooperation in our wars in Iraq and Afganistan, has permitted flyovers of their territory upon request, and permits the presence of U.S. bases on its soil and guards those bases with their troops. That is not acting in a hostile manner toward us, and does not meet the definition of a military threat to the United States. And for as long as you keep spewing patent bullshit, I'm going to call you on it.
Actually, the Faye Bowers article says very little at all.[/quote]
—Abraham Lincoln

—Dr. Gregory House

Patrick Degan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Patrick Degan »

Whoops —hit the Submit button just a bit prematurely.
Actually, the Faye Bowers article says very little at all.
Only because you simply don't wish to recognise the facts of the matter. But as I've said several times before, denial does not a rebuttal make.
—Abraham Lincoln

—Dr. Gregory House

Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Iraq?s F-14s are barely flying after decades of going without proper maintenance.
The people over at ACIG.org have done extensive research into Iran's F-14s, their development of an indigenous support industry for their F-14 force has kept them flying without spares, and even increased the amount of operational aircraft (presumably by bringing back cannibalized airframes). Tom (one of the authors) claims a force of something over 29 operation Tomcats, perhaps double that, I'm unsure, he's a bit reluctant to reveal sources.

Regardless, I don't doubt the USAF's ability to defeat up Iran's AF, but it will not be easy or bloodless.
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
Axis Kast
Vympel's Bitch

Post by Axis Kast »

Only a psychotic actually believes that a disinformation effort requires war as an appropriate response. You still don't get the concept of proportion.
Their misinformation effort was in part responsible for a war, numbskull. Of course there should be some form of retaliation – preferably in the form of air strikes to keep Iran from developing atomic weapons.
And you've yet to demonstrate that tactical decisions made during the war were based upon disinformation. Or that Chalabi was still feeding Iranian disinfo after the war began; something which is not established simply by his only falling from grace two months ago.
It’s a logical conclusion, dipshit. If Chalabi was giving us faulty information before the war, what makes you think the Iranian operation would simply cease once it’d begun?
Your Red Herring, actually, and it's getting quite rancid. Nobody's saying Iran didn't feed us disinformation. We are discussing how Bush didn't bother to verify the information coming from a man the CIA had tagged as unreliable before 2002 and cheerfully let himself be led up the garden path.
No, we’re not discussing thatr at all. It’s merely an attempt by yourself to deflect the subject of Iranian guilt and our necessary response. Chalabi and Iran aren’t any less guilty because of mistakes also made by George W. Bush. According to your argument, it is only the victim who is responsible for his own misfortune. A patently ridiculous point of view, to be certain.
So, by that theory, the United States should be punished every time our intel services engage in disinfo ops against other nations? War is the only response to disinfo from any nation? You don't even see how utterly insane this argument is, do you?
If I were a citizen of another country, I would certainly advocate seeking ways to punish or retaliate against those who conducted misinformation campaigns in the United States. Fortunately for us, the rest of the world is often incapable of doing so without facing inordinate consequences. It’s the result of our superpower, you see.

As for war being the only response, that’s untrue. Of course, in the case where the misinformation campaign was conducted with the express intent of bringing us to war, and conducted by a nation with a clear, anti-American agenda, a more drastic response is fully justifiable.
Red herring. We don’t need emotive bullshit.
Strawman. You're the one who's babbling about not being concerned with Iranian defences as a factor in the difficulties of a mission, and you continue to ignore the point particularly in regards to how limited the mission.
Not at all, actually. I said that Iranian defenses would not inflict unacceptable casualties relative to the benefits of preempting their development of a nuclear weapon, not that those air defenses didn’t exist.

Secondly, Iran’s capability to launch counter-strikes at United States warships and against American targets is fairly limited; our carrier air groups are capable of intercepting Iranian fighters (none of which, including their F-14s, are capable of striking at greater distance than they can be intercepted) as well as dealing with their missiles.
More insane babble. How many nations do you actually imagine we can "punish" without making the United States the world's enemy, or at the least hopelessly damaging any chance at a constructive foreign policy in the Middle East?
And what would you suggest? Pointless “negotiation” with governments that can’t actually deliver on the promises they make as regards groups publicly dedicated to the destruction of the United States of America whether or not we pull out of the Middle East this evening?

The answer is either to force the governments with whom we cannot deal using force (Pakistan) into reigning in on terrorism with our assistance by using diplomatic, political, and economic measures, or, in the cases of Iraq and Iran to use varying degrees of force to do it for them. Saudi Arabia and Syria fall somewhere in the middle; the former is too valuable for its role as a source of oil to the United States at this point in time, and the later beyond our strategic reach. Thus we use the “Pakistani approach” with Riyadh and Damascus when a more aggressive tone would be justified were the strategic situation to change.
In your opinion —which is quite worthless.
So you doubt that Iran has a nuclear weaponization program ongoing alongside its “civilian” nuclear research? Or is it just that you believe we should all live in fuzzy wuzzy neighborliness, and that we shouldn’t worry whether Iran might build a bomb, because if we’re nice, they’ll of course be nice, too? :roll:
Only in that demented little brain of yours. A threat is of a whole different character from disinformation; the former requires concrete actions leading to direct imperilment, the latter requires only the stupidity of the intended object of the disinformation.
Bullshit. Feeding us false intelligence through a pawn was a concrete action.
Are you fucking kidding me? You have only to look at the Middle East over the past ten years to know that your declaration that Iran poses no threat to its neighbors is a crock of shit.
Again, we're not talking about whether Iran's air defences actually pose a threat (and you forgot about the MiG 29s and the missiles) but the fact that we'd be having to launch a general campaign of aggression against a state which has not provided a justifiable threat.
Iran is a state sponsor of terrorism. You don’t get much more threatening these days.
Disinfo isn't a crime, asshole; it's counterintelligence. Bush didn't "leave a door open", he believed bullshit because he sought justifications for his fixed decision to go to war.
But we’re not talking about Bush, asshat. We’re talking about the people who manipulated him and helped bring us to war based on misinformation. But, of course, you’ll just blindly dump all the blame on Bush, like a fucking moron, because Iran can do no wrong.
Except the strategic situation is not nor would ever be fitting, and trying to hang a justification for outright aggression against a state which doesn't present a justifiable threat on the basis of standard counterintelligence represents an arrogant stupidity which beggars description.
Iran presents plenty of threat even without the Chalabi incident. They are a state sponsor of terrorism, fucktard.
You mean... like those fake satellite photos Colin Powell put up before the United Nations? Trying to broaden the definition of hostile action to include counterintelligence doesn't cut it, Comical Axi. No matter what the Iranian intel services did, the decisions Bush made were already in line with his determination to go to war with Iraq. Iran sold him just what he wanted to justify his preconceived notions. Like the existence of Saddam's alleged vast WMD arsenal the reality of which was already dubious in the wake of the UNSCOM and UNMOVIC inspections.
What fake photographs?

And how were Iran’s efforts “counter-intelligence” by any stretch of the imagination?
So basically its going after another far weaker nation because supposedly we can. And the prospect of Iranian retaliation almost makes it impossible not to consider the very real possibility of a wider war breaking out.
Well, yes, when one goes to war, the enemy is generally supposed to be capable of being defeated. :roll:

And what do you believe the extent of Iranian “retaliation” will be?
Talks are proceeding, or did you simply skip over that bit in the article? What ever do you think negotiation is, asswipe?! Not speculation —elsewise the piece would have said "the possibility of talks before preliminary negotiations" or somesuch. Nice try at moving the goalposts.
The talks are about nuclear issues, not prisoner turn-overs.
No, asshole —FACT. Nothing in the article text speaks to this being speculation. I grow tired of your endless bullshit on this subject.
No, not fact. SPECULATION. It’s an analysis piece, you fucking moron. It’s automatically somebody’s opinion on a given state of affairs.
Wrong, fuckface. The definition of soverignty does not depend upon ironclad control over every action taking place within a nation's borders but exists by definition for any state not under foreign control. Something you'd have learned if you hadn't flunked grade-school social studies.
Ironclad control? No. Control over the arms of one’s own fucking state? Yes. Does Iran have the former? No. Does Iran have the later? No.
In a word, bullshit. I see we're on to yet another of your patently dishonest attempts to redefine words to suit your purposes. A nation's internal political troubles do not invite outside intervention as a matter of course, as even a casual perusal of the UN Charter reveals.
The U.N. Charter isn’t a document outlining the steps necessary to secure the national security of the United States of America.
Soverignty isn't dependent upon 100% internal stability or upon internal stability at all. Nor do we have any clear picture as to the size of any Al-Qaeda network operating within Iran, but evidence that the Iranian government has been arresting and detaining Al-Qaeda operatives. Soverignty is not in question, since no nation has any authority to decide the matter for another nation.
Strawman. I did not say 100% internal stability at any time. I said passable control over the organs of state. Iran doesn’t have that. Tehran can’t reliably control its own Revolutionary Guard commands.

We have evidence that Iran has arrested some al-Qaeda members, but that people like al-Zarqawi operate there, and that they are aided and abetted by significant and powerful factions within Iran’s standing military.
No, I offer negatives to your patently insane "arguments", your dishonest redefinitions, and your half-baked opinions which you continue to believe count as valid evidence of anything. Pakistan has not acted in any sort of hostile character against the United States and, instead, has provided extensive cooperation in our wars in Iraq and Afganistan, has permitted flyovers of their territory upon request, and permits the presence of U.S. bases on its soil and guards those bases with their troops. That is not acting in a hostile manner toward us, and does not meet the definition of a military threat to the United States. And for as long as you keep spewing patent bullshit, I'm going to call you on it.
As a result of their current military dictatorship. Pakistan is otherwise a hotbed of violent resentment against us, and as plagued by conditions on its sovereignty as Iran.
Patrick Degan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Patrick Degan »

Axis Kast wrote:
Only a psychotic actually believes that a disinformation effort requires war as an appropriate response. You still don't get the concept of proportion.
Their misinformation effort was in part responsible for a war, numbskull. Of course there should be some form of retaliation – preferably in the form of air strikes to keep Iran from developing atomic weapons.
No, it was in no part responsible for a war, shitwit. Bush was responsible for the war. The Iranians, through Chalabi, only gave him the meat and bones for his excuses for the war. And the rest of your argument is fallacious.
And you've yet to demonstrate that tactical decisions made during the war were based upon disinformation. Or that Chalabi was still feeding Iranian disinfo after the war began; something which is not established simply by his only falling from grace two months ago.
It’s a logical conclusion, dipshit. If Chalabi was giving us faulty information before the war, what makes you think the Iranian operation would simply cease once it’d begun?
Translation: you speculate that this was so and haven't anything to actually back your charge. No surprise.
No, we’re not discussing that at all. It’s merely an attempt by yourself to deflect the subject of Iranian guilt and our necessary response. Chalabi and Iran aren’t any less guilty because of mistakes also made by George W. Bush. According to your argument, it is only the victim who is responsible for his own misfortune. A patently ridiculous point of view, to be certain.
We are indeed discussing this, no matter how much you try to steer the discussion in the opposite direction. Nothing forced Bush to go to war, and there was sufficent contradictory information which any sensible person would have concluded as putting doubts on the case against Iraq.
If I were a citizen of another country, I would certainly advocate seeking ways to punish or retaliate against those who conducted misinformation campaigns in the United States. Fortunately for us, the rest of the world is often incapable of doing so without facing inordinate consequences. It’s the result of our superpower, you see.
Ah, back to the Hitlerian Might Makes Right principle, eh?
As for war being the only response, that’s untrue. Of course, in the case where the misinformation campaign was conducted with the express intent of bringing us to war, and conducted by a nation with a clear, anti-American agenda, a more drastic response is fully justifiable.
We'll just add this to your ever growing pile of sophistries here at SD.net. Counterespionage and disinformation has never been interpreted as an act requiring a military response by anybody except yourself. And you can take your "Iran forced us into war with Iraq" argument and cram it. Once more: war with Iraq was not necessary, but Bush was determined to have it. He ignored all contradictory evidence which failed to square with his preconceived notions and Chalabi's bullshit was used by him as his excuse.
Red herring. We don’t need emotive bullshit.
THAT ISN'T EMOTIVE BULLSHIT you fucking moron! That is a physical possibility. There isn't a direction where there aren't people around the region, and somebody could get dusted if radioactives are involved and the material burns.
Strawman. You're the one who's babbling about not being concerned with Iranian defences as a factor in the difficulties of a mission, and you continue to ignore the point particularly in regards to how limited the mission.
Not at all, actually. I said that Iranian defenses would not inflict unacceptable casualties relative to the benefits of preempting their development of a nuclear weapon, not that those air defenses didn’t exist.
Which wasn't at all what I was arguing, numbskull. The point is that having to suppress those defences expands the scope of the mission and brings with it a danger of a wider conflict.
Secondly, Iran’s capability to launch counter-strikes at United States warships and against American targets is fairly limited; our carrier air groups are capable of intercepting Iranian fighters (none of which, including their F-14s, are capable of striking at greater distance than they can be intercepted) as well as dealing with their missiles.
Figher planes can't intercept missiles, shitwit, and F-14s and MiG 29s can mount stand-off missiles. They don't have to come into close range.
And what would you suggest? Pointless “negotiation” with governments that can’t actually deliver on the promises they make as regards groups publicly dedicated to the destruction of the United States of America whether or not we pull out of the Middle East this evening?
Funny how you dismiss negotiation as pointless in every case, even though historical precedent has demonstrated that it is not; such as the backchannel dealings which won Iranian neutrality in regards to our attack upon Iraq, our war in Afganistan, and agreements by Iran to assist downed U.S. fliers who come down within their territory were won, as well as the clear level of cooperation between the U.S. and Pakistan despite their shakier political situation. No, Axi, you don't convince anybody with yet more sophistries intended only to say that military strikes and war are the sole options.
The answer is either to force the governments with whom we cannot deal using force (Pakistan) into reigning in on terrorism with our assistance by using diplomatic, political, and economic measures, or, in the cases of Iraq and Iran to use varying degrees of force to do it for them. Saudi Arabia and Syria fall somewhere in the middle; the former is too valuable for its role as a source of oil to the United States at this point in time, and the later beyond our strategic reach. Thus we use the “Pakistani approach” with Riyadh and Damascus when a more aggressive tone would be justified were the strategic situation to change.
Funny but that sounds like striking those you believe haven't the capacity to resist us, and the consequences to overall foreign policy be damned. Kindly explain to the class how making war against another Muslim country does not radicalise Arabs and encourage further terrorism and aid recruitment by Al-Qaeda and its various clones. Or how this a wise course of action while we are already tied down in Afganistan and Iraq.
So you doubt that Iran has a nuclear weaponization program ongoing alongside its “civilian” nuclear research?
I "doubt" it because no evidence for such has been presented.
Or is it just that you believe we should all live in fuzzy wuzzy neighborliness, and that we shouldn’t worry whether Iran might build a bomb, because if we’re nice, they’ll of course be nice, too?
No, I'm talking about a process which you've amply demonstrated your utter unfamiliarity with: rationality.
Bullshit. Feeding us false intelligence through a pawn was a concrete action.
Your bullshit, actually. Disinformation is SOP in counterintelligence, Iran's true target was Iraq, and Bush had already made his decision for war with Iraq long before Chalabi handed him a pile of excuses for it.
Are you fucking kidding me? You have only to look at the Middle East over the past ten years to know that your declaration that Iran poses no threat to its neighbors is a crock of shit.
And how many invasions has Iran conducted against its neighbours since 1980? Zero? Thought so. The only time Iran posed any remote threat to its neighbours was in the years immediately proceeding the Shah's overthrow when they tried to export their radical revolution. Those efforts failed to catch on anywhere, and eight years of war and economic depredations have forced the Iranians to look inward as their centre of their priorities; the more so since their revolution entered its Thermidore stage. They've posed far less of a military threat to their neighbour states than Saddam Hussein ever did or was accused of doing. That is the record of the last ten years in the Middle East whether you choose to recognise it or not.
Iran is a state sponsor of terrorism. You don’t get much more threatening these days.
Only to the utterly paranoid, that is. And you still don't get the concept of "proportional response".
But we’re not talking about Bush, asshat.
Yes we are, numbskull.
We’re talking about the people who manipulated him and helped bring us to war based on misinformation. But, of course, you’ll just blindly dump all the blame on Bush, like a fucking moron, because Iran can do no wrong.
Bush had his hard-on for a war with Iraq from the day he took office, and that is a fact. But you'll just blindly dump all the blame on Iran because, asshole that you are, you hold against all fact to the contrary that Bush can do no wrong.
Iran presents plenty of threat even without the Chalabi incident. They are a state sponsor of terrorism, fucktard.
Repetition does not an argument make, shitwit.
What fake photographs?
Those ludicrous pictures of the alleged chemical bunker facility Powell put up as part of his presentation —along with the forged college term paper and unintelligible audio recordings.
And how were Iran’s efforts “counter-intelligence” by any stretch of the imagination?
Disinformation is part of the scope of counterintelligence, asshole —countering foreign governments and intel services by the planting of false information as well as uncovering opposition spy operations. Fuck but you are dense.
Well, yes, when one goes to war, the enemy is generally supposed to be capable of being defeated. And what do you believe the extent of Iranian “retaliation” will be?
Missile strikes against shipping in the Gulf and military bases in the vicinity, possible strikes upon American troops in Iraq, blockade of the Straits of Hormuz by minefield or ships sunk in the channel to cut off shipping, possible strikes in the worst case against Gulf oil facilities.
The talks are about nuclear issues, not prisoner turn-overs.
No, shitwit, the article also mentions dealing with the prisoner turn-overs. To quote again:

If prisoner-transfers were not part of the discussions, there would have been no point in even including the issue in the body of the report.
No, not fact. SPECULATION. It’s an analysis piece, you fucking moron. It’s automatically somebody’s opinion on a given state of affairs.
No no no, moron —FACT. The analysis derives from developments actually in the works. It is your position which is mere opinion, and we've already discussed how worthless that is.
Ironclad control? No. Control over the arms of one’s own fucking state? Yes. Does Iran have the former? No. Does Iran have the later? No.
There have been no reports of mutiny or disloyalty from the Iranian armed forces against the government, and no reports that the government cannot exercise positive command-and-control or is threatened with revolutionary overthrow. You have no argument.
In a word, bullshit. I see we're on to yet another of your patently dishonest attempts to redefine words to suit your purposes. A nation's internal political troubles do not invite outside intervention as a matter of course, as even a casual perusal of the UN Charter reveals.
The U.N. Charter isn’t a document outlining the steps necessary to secure the national security of the United States of America.
The UN Charter establishes the framework of international law which is the context in which that national security is defined. Only a practitioner of Hitlerian logic says that the U.S can simply do whatever it pleases when it pleases to whomever it pleases for any reason it sees fit. The last person who attempted that sort of reasoning got his country bombed flat for his trouble.
Soverignty isn't dependent upon 100% internal stability or upon internal stability at all. Nor do we have any clear picture as to the size of any Al-Qaeda network operating within Iran, but evidence that the Iranian government has been arresting and detaining Al-Qaeda operatives. Soverignty is not in question, since no nation has any authority to decide the matter for another nation.
Strawman. I did not say 100% internal stability at any time. I said passable control over the organs of state. Iran doesn’t have that. Tehran can’t reliably control its own Revolutionary Guard commands.
And your proof of this? Oh yes —pulled out of your own ass, like all your arguments. By your definitions, the U.S. didn't have "passable control over the organs of state" during Iran/Contra. But that was just a rogue CIA operation conducted by a rogue National Security adviser and certainly no indication that the U.S. "didn't have passable control over the organs of state". Iran shows no indicatins of mutiny or disloyalty towards the central government by its military forces or even the Revolutionary Guards or any signs that an antigovernment revolution is in the works. Again, you have no argument.
We have evidence that Iran has arrested some al-Qaeda members, but that people like al-Zarqawi operate there, and that they are aided and abetted by significant and powerful factions within Iran’s standing military.
Oh, really:
CNN wrote:Militant group threatens death for al-Zarqawi

Wednesday, July 7, 2004 Posted: 2:06 AM EDT (0606 GMT)

BAGHDAD, Iraq (CNN) -- A previously unknown militant group in Iraq is threatening to kill the most-wanted terror suspect in that country: Abu Musab al-Zarqawi.

The Arabic-language TV network Al-Arabiya said it received a taped statement from an organization that calls itself the Rescue Group warning al-Zarqawi and his followers to leave Iraq or face the consequences.

One masked militant read a statement denouncing the actions by al-Zarqawi and his followers as hurtful to Iraq, particularly the kidnapping of foreigners.

The group has called for the killing of the Jordanian-born al-Zarqawi if he doesn't leave Iraq.

Coalition officials blame al-Zarqawi for dozens of attacks on coalition forces and Iraqi civilians. The United States recently raised the bounty on his head to $25 million.

Al-Zarqawi is also believed to be behind the beheading of two hostages in Iraq, an American and a South Korean.
Zarqawi isn't even in the country. He's not operating anything except his escape from Iraq if he can manage it. Nor are the Iranian military lifting a finger to rescue him either.
As a result of their current military dictatorship. Pakistan is otherwise a hotbed of violent resentment against us, and as plagued by conditions on its sovereignty as Iran.
Pakistan's sovereignty exists as a matter of definition, not by the current state of its government. And the fact of its cooperation despite its internal troubles is a fact, as it the far more stable condition of Iran. So kindly take the sovereignty sophistries and cram those up your ass as well.
—Abraham Lincoln

—Dr. Gregory House

Axis Kast
Vympel's Bitch

Post by Axis Kast »

Bush had his hard-on for a war with Iraq from the day he took office, and that is a fact. But you'll just blindly dump all the blame on Iran because, asshole that you are, you hold against all fact to the contrary that Bush can do no wrong.
This single quotation says it all.

It's impossible to follow this discussion to any conclusion whatsoever if you refuse to stop invoking the, "Bush is stupid!" strawman defense every two seconds.

Not to mention these ridiculous accusations regarding Hitler whenever we discuss foreign policy. Recognizing that the playing field is far from level, and that we make our moves from a point of extreme leverage isn't Hitlerian; it's a fact of life.