Why does the Right have such a hard-on for blaming Clinton?

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Perinquus
Virus-X Wannabe

Post by Perinquus »

SirNitram wrote:
Perinquus wrote:
SirNitram wrote:So it's fine for Bush to use precise language to avoid outright lying, but when Clinton did it, it is EVIL OMFG HE IS TEH DEVIL.

Riiiiight.
It's funny how, even though I have said over and over again that it was lying under oath, that is a crime, your eyes just glide right over that part. Even though I have stated explicitly that the lies Clinton told in his press conference are simply lies, not criminal offenses, you insist on building up this strawman.
No, the problem is you are obsessing over what is legal
Well, you know, it's a funny thing, being a cop, the law just happens to have some importance to me. Go figure.
SirNitram wrote:, whereas I am not giving a shit over whether there is a shaky case for perjury against one man over the other. I am getting to the heart of the matter:

Both made statements they knew to be false. One made it about his sex life, something the American people have no need to know about. The other, about the threat Iraq posed(Specifics, you ask? Niger Yellowcake for a start). The lie about sex has hurt no one.
So would that be first or second degree perjury? I don't give a shit that the lie hurt no one. It was a crime. If he didn't want to admit anything, he should have taken the fifth, that's what it's there for.
SirNitram wrote:The lie about Iraq has sent us into a costly war.

You can prattle on about how I'm strawmanning you, but I'm not. As from the beginning, I am not falling into the fallacious trap of the legality of it. I am confronting which is more damaging to the people who elected them.
So holding someone responsible for breking the law is "fallacious". I guess that makes every subject I've arrested and every warrant I've ever sworn out on a suspect invalid. Kind of makes you wonder what we even have laws for.

You know, it boils down to this, Clinton broke the law. Bush didn't. Sorry that sits so ill with you, but that's the state of the law. You don't like it, write your congressman and get him to sponsor a bill making the kind of lies you say Bush deliberately told illegal. Then I will be in full agreement with you that any such lies told by any politician are illegal.
Perinquus
Virus-X Wannabe

Post by Perinquus »

SirNitram wrote:
Perinquus wrote:
Keevan_Colton wrote:More long winded shit, I sense a pattern from you.

Bush used information known at that time to be false. That's a pretty fucking good way to define a lie, telling something you know not to be true.
Amazingly, the same thing you're pissed at Clinton for, though of course, Clinton was talking about his personal life which has no bearing on the nation and Bush was organising a war, so of course, Clinton is the worse...
:roll:
The legal business as has been stated, if Clinton was guilty of purgery then why has he not been prosecuted for it?
More failure to understand plain English, I sense a pattern from you. Somone else I have to use small words for.

Bush deceiving people bad. But him not under oath. It not perjury. Clinton under oath. It perjury. I already say why Clinton not prosecuted in other post while back. If Bush lie and people think so, he not get elected in November. That how Americans decide if it bad. You not like Bush, no vote for him.
Hey, Ug. Once you learn how to make fire, we'll start working on this concept called Morality. It's similar to Legality, only it's not Legality, there's less convenient loopholes like 'It's not under oath! It's not under oath!'.
Well gee, I never thought of that. :roll:

Are laws are written to reflect the generally held standards of morality. And society has decreed that lying in any court proceeding is a grave offense, so our laws reflect that. Is it perfect? No, but that's how it is. They haven't yet passed any such laws concerning a politicians lies while in office. You're just supposed to hold them accountable at election time if you think they're wrong.
SirNitram
Rest in Peace, Black Mage

Post by SirNitram »

Perinquus wrote:
SirNitram wrote:
Perinquus wrote: It's funny how, even though I have said over and over again that it was lying under oath, that is a crime, your eyes just glide right over that part. Even though I have stated explicitly that the lies Clinton told in his press conference are simply lies, not criminal offenses, you insist on building up this strawman.
No, the problem is you are obsessing over what is legal
Well, you know, it's a funny thing, being a cop, the law just happens to have some importance to me. Go figure.
That's nice.
SirNitram wrote:, whereas I am not giving a shit over whether there is a shaky case for perjury against one man over the other. I am getting to the heart of the matter:

Both made statements they knew to be false. One made it about his sex life, something the American people have no need to know about. The other, about the threat Iraq posed(Specifics, you ask? Niger Yellowcake for a start). The lie about sex has hurt no one.
So would that be first or second degree perjury? I don't give a shit that the lie hurt no one. It was a crime. If he didn't want to admit anything, he should have taken the fifth, that's what it's there for.
So with this open and shut perjury case, why isn't he charged?
SirNitram wrote:The lie about Iraq has sent us into a costly war.

You can prattle on about how I'm strawmanning you, but I'm not. As from the beginning, I am not falling into the fallacious trap of the legality of it. I am confronting which is more damaging to the people who elected them.
So holding someone responsible for breking the law is "fallacious". I guess that makes every subject I've arrested and every warrant I've ever sworn out on a suspect invalid. Kind of makes you wonder what we even have laws for.
Well, there's this fascinating legal concept America has. It says you can't declare someone guilty until they've been tried in a court of their peers. As no one has brought charges on Clinton for perjury, this hasn't happened.

So, we enter an interesting situation. You and other members of the Right declare it is open and shut, without contest, yet no charges are brought. No case is presented.
You know, it boils down to this, Clinton broke the law. Bush didn't. Sorry that sits so ill with you, but that's the state of the law. You don't like it, write your congressman and get him to sponsor a bill making the kind of lies you say Bush deliberately told illegal. Then I will be in full agreement with you that any such lies told by any politician are illegal.
Here is me, yet again, failing to give a shit about law. If one can actually prove a case against Clinton, they should stop bitching ineffectively and get on with pressing charges. I am, as I always have been, pointing out it is complete hypocrisy to rabidly, irrationally attack Clinton for lying when Bush does the same, and with far more damage.
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

Debator Classification: Trollhunter
Andrew J.
Sith Marauder

Post by Andrew J. »

If Bush's lie about war deserves less punishement under the law than Clinton's lie about his sex life, than the law is wrong.
Don't hate; appreciate!

RIP Eddie.
Patrick Degan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Patrick Degan »

Perinquus wrote:
Patrick Degan wrote:
Perinquus wrote: A dig against Oliver Wendell Holmes? And you are better versed in the law than one of the most revered judges ever to sit on the U.S. Supreme Court how exactly? You will understand, I trust, if I give such a snide and childish dismissal of an acknowledged first rank legal expert by a layman who hasn't a tiny fraction of said expert's knowledge of the law the scant regard it deserves.
No, it's a dig against your manifest stupidity and your fanatacism.
Ah, an ad hominem then. In other words, a worthless fallacy.
No. You see, if I said "your argument is worthless because you're an idiot", that would be an Ad-Hominem attack. Calling you an idiot after tearing down the logic of your argument is merely a gratuitous insult after the fact. 8)
Patrick Degan wrote:
And the notion that they didn't pursue a prosecution against Clinton out of sympathy for him is not laughable on its face. I have seen often enough that prosecutors will fail to pursue a case when the defendant is technically in violation of the law, but because they believe the jury will be sympathetic to him, and therefore likely to acquit, they do not believe it is worth pursuing.
That isn't sympathy on the part of the court, that's legal calculus.
And does not change for instant the fact that he is guilty, and they know he is guilty.
—assuming the evidence for guilt exists but they decide not to pursue the matter anyway.
It is likeliest because they believe the jury will consider that although he did lie, it was over a private matter irrelevant to his ability to function as president, and what's the big deal anyway, it's not like he lied about some notable crime like the Watergate break in for example. So while he is, strictly speaking, absolutely in violation of the law, the jury will likely acquit because they will believe the violation to have occured over a small matter, and thus the prosecutor would choose not to gamble on it in court. Also, though Lewinsky is definitely a more credible witness than Clinton in this case, it's still a "her word against his" case, without a third party to back her up, or without some piece of hard evidence. So a jury will likely give Clinton the benefit of the doubt, especially since they would likely consider the whole issue to be over a matter small enough not to be worth a felony conviction, regardless of the technicalities of the case.
And you'd advance that argument before or after the judge would toss you out of court for advancing a prosecution on a case with such shaky support? If you're really the expert you claim yourself to be, then you of all people should know how infirm the position you're arguing here is.
It's not the most solid legal case in the world, but it's also not as infirm as you'd like to think. Much as you'd like to dismiss it, credibility matters. Jury's occasionally have convicted in her word against his cases because one party has credibility and the other doesn't.
Not where the burden for the prosecution is "proof of specific intent beyond reasonable doubt". There's a reason why judges instruct juries in matters of law like that.
Patrick Degan wrote:
Lawyers do think like this, I see it all the time. It doesn't change the fact that Clinton lied while under oath, and only a naive trusting fool would imagine otherwise in the circumstances.
In your opinion.
:shock: The man got on TV and brazenly lied through his fucking teeth to the people who elected him president. He has no goddamn credibility. You would have to be an idiot to trust his word. Apparently you do, so I guess you are.
We're not arguing whether he lied on TV. We're arguing whether or not he was actually guilty of perjury when he was under oath. So kindly take the Red Herring of his TV statement and cram it up your ass.
Patrick Degan wrote:Clinton's lie to the American people on TV is immaterial to the issue of his testimony in the court, so you can take that Ad-Hominem and cram it up your ass. Furthermore, Clinton never tried to contradict Lewinsky's affidavit or to say she was lying, so her credibility as a witness is a non-issue here as well.
I see. So when a man shamelessly tells a direct lie to the nation on national television, we should just disregard that. It proves him to be a man with no qualms whatever about lying, but that's irrelevant to the issue of whether or not we should take him at his word. :roll:
Because whatever he says on TV has no bearing on the issue of fact or law as to whether or not he committed perjury while under oath. Get that through that fucking thick skull of yours.
God almighty. What a world you must live in.
It's called "Rationality" —a state you obviously have no acquaintence with.
Patrick Degan wrote: A defintion so vague as to be legally meaningless and which still did not include the definition of sexual relations as laid out in common law or oral sex —the latter being omitted by the trial judge herself.
So the fuck what? A definition was provided, and Clinton knew what that definition was. He then denied committing any act that fits that definition, and a more credible witness refuted his testimony.
Your position appears to be that no matter what the court specified, it's not the common law definition of sex, so he didn't lie. Well get it through your head stupid - the court didn't ask him if he had sexual relations according to the common law definition. They asked him if he had sexual relations according to the definition the court laid down. He denied having done so, and a more credible witness said he did.
No, my position is that the court left a loophole open, and Clinton was able to tell the precise legal truth —hairsplitting as it was. And he did not attempt to contradict Monica Lewinsky at the later grand jury testimony, so her credibility is not being argued here.
Patrick Degan wrote:That fact is not altered no matter how many times you wish to toss the quotation of the court's definition at the deposition hearing at me.
Fine, that fact is not altered. Clinton didn't lie about having sex according to the common law definition. Since the court didn't ask whether or not he had sexual relations according to that definition, that objection is completely irellevant, but you have fun with it.
No, the fact is not altered. Neither is the definition in law, no matter how much you wish to believe otherwise, and it is what you believe that is irrelevant as far as matters of fact and law are concerned.
Patrick Degan wrote:
So, we have a credible witness stating that Clinton performed certain acts that exactly match the definition of sexual relations laid down by the court. And on the other hand, we have a less than credible witness (to say the least) stating under oath that he did not do these things. Now by what tortuous rationalization do you arrive at the conclusion that this is not perjury?
There is no "torturous rationalisation" involved: the court and Jones' lawyers left a loophole through which Clinton was able to tell the precise, legal truth.
So, Clinton was stating the precise legal truth when he claimed he never did anything like fondle Lewinsky's breasts, even though he did? And he was telling the precise legal truth when he said he never did anything like manually stimulate her to orgasm, even though he did? I guess the precise legal truth is different from the plain truth, so Clinton wasn't really lying.
Sigh:

Link
Lewinsky Scandal wrote:The issue was greatly confused by an unusual definition for sexual contact that was ordered during the initial questioning which led to the perjury allegations.

**snip**

Legal opinion is divided as to whether President Clinton's denials--though perhaps ungallant--were legal perjury, though he certainly violated the requirement to be clear about what he was saying. However, legal opinion has been almost unanimous that a criminal prosecution on charges of perjury would almost certainly fail.
Kindly tell us how that amounts to a clear-cut case against Clinton, especially when Judge Susan Weber Wright herself had this comment on the Definition you've been wanking off to on this thread:

Link
Judge Susan Weber Wright wrote:JUDGE [SUSAN WEBBER] WRIGHT: Well, I'm prepared to rule, and I will not permit this definition to be understood. Quite frankly, there's several reasons. One is that the Court heretofore has not proceeded using these definitions. We have used, we've made numerous rulings or the Court has made numerous rulings in this case without specific reference to these definitions, and so if you want to know the truth, I don't know them very well.I would find it difficult to make rulings, and Mr. Bennett has made clear that he acknowledges that embarrassing questions will be asked, and if this is in fact an effort on, on the part of Plaintiff's Counsel to avoid using sexual terms and avoid going into great detail about what might or might not have occurred, then there's no need to worry about that, you may go into the detail.

MR. BENNETT: If the predicates are met, we have no objection to the detail.

MR. Fisher: Thank you, Your Honor.

JUDGE WRIGHT: It's just going to make it very difficult for me to rule, if you want to know the truth, and I'm not sure Mr. Clinton knows all these definitions, anyway.
From pg. 25 of the deposition transcript. If the Definition was found to be confusing to the trial judge herself, that left the door wide open for any interpretation of "sexual relations" which would satisfy giving an answer which would not meet the definition of legal perjury.
Patrick Degan wrote:You cannot, with any authority, declare what exactly was in Clinton's mind to demonstrate specific intent (surely you understand that term, Mr. Lawyer) or that he didn't believe his statements on the matter to be truthful as he understood them.
Then Clinton would have to be a complete idiot to have misunderstood, since the definition of sexual relations was spelled out in very plain English. He denied doing anything that fit that definition, and that denial is not credible.
Judge Wright says above that you don't know what the fuck you're talking about. Or is she an idiot as well?
And yes, I understand the term intent, thank you very much.
Obviously not.
I also understand that lawyers are able to demonstrate intent without the necessity of mind reading. By your standard, we could never establish intent under any circumstances since we can't read minds. Good thing the legal system doesn't follow your rules.
The legal system does follow those rules in certain cases and in terms of proving perjury. Look them up.
Patrick Degan wrote:It's called "benefit of the doubt". And your evident inability to grasp or acknowledge the concept demonstrates the very fanatacism Darth Wong spoke of earlier in this thread.
I also understand benefit of doubt very well.
Obviously not.
What I don't undserstand is how you can define an unwillingness to give that benefit of doubt to a proven liar fanaticism. Seems like plain old good sense to me.
Because of something else called "presumption of innocence". And because we see that Judge Wright herself was confused over what the Jones legal team was proffering as to the definition of sexual relations. Confusion and ambiguity means benefit of the doubt means presumption of innocence.

Plain old good sense, actually.
When ballots have fairly and constitutionally decided, there can be no successful appeal back to bullets.
—Abraham Lincoln

People pray so that God won't crush them like bugs.
—Dr. Gregory House

Oil an emergency?! It's about time, Brigadier, that the leaders of this planet of yours realised that to remain dependent upon a mineral slime simply doesn't make sense.
—The Doctor "Terror Of The Zygons" (1975)
Patrick Degan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Patrick Degan »

Perinquus wrote:First off, prove that Bush lied. Exagerrate, yes, certainly. Selctively ignore evidence, yeah, probably that too. Lie, as in intentionally decieve the American people telling them that Iraq had WMDs when he knew for a fact they didn't, as opposed to simply buying faulty intelligence... well as I said, prove it.
Um, ahem:

Linky
Washington Post wrote:Uranium Claim Was Known for Months to Be Weak

Intelligence Officials Say 'Everyone Knew' Then What White House Knows Now About Niger Reference

By Dana Priest
Washington Post Staff Writer
Sunday, July 20, 2003; Page A22

The White House repeated a familiar retort last week to defend itself against allegations that President Bush used discredited information in his State of the Union speech about Iraq shopping for uranium oxide in Africa: "If we knew [then] what we knew today, we wouldn't have done it," as a White House official, demanding anonymity, said to a roomful of reporters Friday.

But recent revelations by officials at the CIA, the State Department, the United Nations, in Congress and elsewhere make clear that the weakness of the claim in the State of the Union speech was known and accepted by a wide circle of intelligence and diplomatic personnel scrutinizing information on Iraqi weapons programs months before the speech.

"Everyone knew" the letters purporting to prove Iraq's effort to acquire uranium in Niger "were not good," said one senior administration decision-maker who otherwise supported the president's decision to go to war in Iraq. "The White House response has been baffling. This is relatively inconsequential. Why don't they tell the truth?"

Inconsequential or not, even the Italian journalist who gave the documents to the U.S. Embassy in Rome nine months ago told reporters yesterday that when she returned from a trip to Niger to check them out, she told her editor that "the story seemed fake to me" and published nothing on it.

Elisabetta Burba, a foreign correspondent for the Italian news magazine Panorama, said in an interview with the Italian daily Corriere della Sera, "I realized that this could be a worldwide scoop, but that's exactly why I was very worried. If it turned out to be a hoax, and I published it, I would have ended my career."

For the past weeks, White House efforts to explain how that hoax, and other information about African uranium purchases, ended up in government releases and speeches have contradicted information from other U.S. officials involved in verifying the president's remarks before he speaks.

For instance, on Friday the White House briefer said that the only statement CIA Director George J. Tenet had successfully persuaded deputy national security adviser Stephen J. Hadley to take out of the president's Oct. 7 speech in Cincinnati was a reference to "over 500 tons of uranium." He said that was removed because it was "single-sourced" intelligence.

But yesterday, a senior administration official with knowledge of the Tenet-Hadley conversation disputed the White House version. "The line he asked to take out wasn't about 500 tons of uranium or a single source. It was about Africa and uranium," the official said. Even the broader assertion about Africa "wasn't firm enough. It was shaky."

Technically, the Niger documents were publicly declared to be forgeries on March 7 by the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA), the U.N. agency that had monitored Iraq's nuclear-related activity and had received the documents from U.S officials a month earlier, on Feb. 5.

But "long before the journalist came up with the documents," said the senior administration official, "there were broader concerns that the government couldn't verify."

Those concerns dated from late 2001, when U.S. intelligence officials obtained information "from two western intelligence sources" and other overt sources, according to an April 29 letter to Congress from the State Department "on behalf of the President."

In February 2002, the CIA dispatched former ambassador Joseph C. Wilson, a 23-year career diplomat with postings in Africa and Iraq, to check out those reports. He returned unconvinced, and the CIA cabled his doubts around the intelligence community and to the National Security Council on March 9, 2002. While not definitive, Wilson's assessment fit with the skepticism already existing on the subject. Wilson's report was "not memorable" because it confirmed previously held doubts, said several U.S. officials.

In September 2002, the story of Iraq's interest in uranium from Africa was first made public in a British government dossier on Iraq's weapons program. Tenet and top aides, who appeared days later before two congressional committees, were asked about the British claim.

Tenet told lawmakers that there were reports of Iraqi attempts to buy uranium but that there were doubts about the reports' accuracy. Not a week later, the CIA circulated a classified National Intelligence Estimate (NIE) on Iraq. Neither allegation -- that Iraq sought uranium in Africa or Niger -- made it into the document's "key judgments" section, according to portions of the NIE made public Friday.

On page 25, however, the NIE stated that a foreign government had reported that Niger "planned to send several tons of pure uranium (probably yellowcake) to Iraq. . . . We do not know the status of this arrangement." On the same page, it cites reports indicating Iraq's approaches to Somalia and Congo. "We cannot confirm whether Iraq succeeded in acquiring uranium ore and/or yellowcake from these sources," the NIE stated.

On page 84, the State Department's intelligence bureau, in a dissenting analysis, said "claims of Iraqi pursuit of natural uranium in Africa are . . . highly dubious." No references to Iraq seeking yellowcake from Niger, Congo, Somalia or anywhere else appeared in the NIE that was publicly released on Oct. 4.

One reason for the public omission was the widespread skepticism about the claims, described by the senior official as "so much for so long."

Days after the Italian journalist Burba handed the documents to the U.S. Embassy in Rome on Oct. 11, intelligence officials had nearly completely discounted their substance, which mirrored the reports Wilson and others had discounted eight months earlier. In fact, when the State Department's intelligence branch distributed the documents on Oct. 16 to the CIA and other intelligence agencies, it included a caveat that the claims were of "dubious authenticity."

Similar caveats were included by the U.S. Mission to the IAEA in Vienna when the documents were turned over there on Feb. 5, said an official familiar with documents submitted.

Four months later, in June, national security adviser Condoleezza Rice insisted that the White House had been unaware of these previous doubts. "We wouldn't have put it in the speech if we had known what we know now," Rice said. "I can assure you that the president did not knowingly, before the American people, say something that we thought to be false. It's outrageous that anybody would claim that."

Staff writer Walter Pincus contributed to this report.

© 2003 The Washington Post Company
And yet, what is Georgie the Wonder Chimp saying on this subject? Well:

Linky
Bush 2003 State of the Union address wrote: The International Atomic Energy Agency confirmed in the 1990s that Saddam Hussein had an advanced nuclear weapons development program, had a design for a nuclear weapon and was working on five different methods of enriching uranium for a bomb. The British government has learned that Saddam Hussein recently sought significant quantities of uranium from Africa. Our intelligence sources tell us that he has attempted to purchase high-strength aluminum tubes suitable for nuclear weapons production. Saddam Hussein has not credibly explained these activities. He clearly has much to hide.
Oops —repeating the Niger Yellowcake Myth months after it had been publicly exploded, and the same with the Aluminium Tubes Myth as well.

Now, most people would look at that and say "lie". But in George Bush's case, given his observed shortcomings, allowance can be made for the possibility of incompetence and stupidity on his part. Indeed, it's the only other possibility in Bush's case.
When ballots have fairly and constitutionally decided, there can be no successful appeal back to bullets.
—Abraham Lincoln

People pray so that God won't crush them like bugs.
—Dr. Gregory House

Oil an emergency?! It's about time, Brigadier, that the leaders of this planet of yours realised that to remain dependent upon a mineral slime simply doesn't make sense.
—The Doctor "Terror Of The Zygons" (1975)
Crayz9000
Sith Apprentice

Post by Crayz9000 »

You know, I honestly don't give a shit about Clinton's wandering dick. I certainly didn't appreciate all the attention it got in the media.

What bothered me was the handling of the whole Yugoslavian mess, although I will admit that Iraq/Afghanistan combined are far, far worse. At any rate, whatever damage has already been done at this point and Clinton's gone.

(His constant hype about the economy was getting on my nerves, of course. And this was before the dot com bust started in late '99.)
A Tribute to Stupidity: The Robert Scott Anderson Archive (currently offline)
John Hansen - Slightly Insane Bounty Hunter - ASVS Vets' Assoc. Class of 2000
HAB Cryptanalyst | WG - Intergalactic Alliance and Spoof Author | BotM | Cybertron | SCEF
Perinquus
Virus-X Wannabe

Post by Perinquus »

Alright Degan, it's clear we're never going to agree about Clinton and his perjury. You are never going to convince me that he wasn't lying through his teeth. I am never going to make you understand that lying does, in fact, damage one's credibility. So let's leave that one as any further argument over it will be beating a dead horse.

And as to your little "ahem"...

I said prove that Bush lied - that he knew Saddam had no WMDs, but stated that he did, and used this as a casus belli. That article you quoted does not do that. Let's took a look at the quotes you highlighted:
But recent revelations by officials at the CIA, the State Department, the United Nations, in Congress and elsewhere make clear that the weakness of the claim in the State of the Union speech was known and accepted by a wide circle of intelligence and diplomatic personnel scrutinizing information on Iraqi weapons programs months before the speech.

"Everyone knew" the letters purporting to prove Iraq's effort to acquire uranium in Niger "were not good," said one senior administration decision-maker who otherwise supported the president's decision to go to war in Iraq. "The White House response has been baffling. This is relatively inconsequential. Why don't they tell the truth?"
Not the use of the word "weakness", not "falseness", "untruth", or any such word that indicates definite knowledge of untruth. Note also the phrase "were not good", instead of a phrase like "known to be false", or "revealed as untrue", or any such phrase that again would imply certain knowledge of the untruth of the claim, as opposed to mere uncertainty or unreliability.

And as to the next highlighted quote:
For instance, on Friday the White House briefer said that the only statement CIA Director George J. Tenet had successfully persuaded deputy national security adviser Stephen J. Hadley to take out of the president's Oct. 7 speech in Cincinnati was a reference to "over 500 tons of uranium." He said that was removed because it was "single-sourced" intelligence.

But yesterday, a senior administration official with knowledge of the Tenet-Hadley conversation disputed the White House version. "The line he asked to take out wasn't about 500 tons of uranium or a single source. It was about Africa and uranium," the official said. Even the broader assertion about Africa "wasn't firm enough. It was shaky."

Tenet objected to putting too much weight on "single-sourced" intelligence because it is not corroborated. How do you go from "not corroborated" to "known to be false"? And the administration official quoted used to words "wasn't firm enough", and "shaky", not "wasn't true" or "false". Considering something to be of dubious credibility and positively knowing it to be false are not the same thing.

Moving right along:
In February 2002, the CIA dispatched former ambassador Joseph C. Wilson, a 23-year career diplomat with postings in Africa and Iraq, to check out those reports. He returned unconvinced, and the CIA cabled his doubts around the intelligence community and to the National Security Council on March 9, 2002. While not definitive, Wilson's assessment fit with the skepticism already existing on the subject. Wilson's report was "not memorable" because it confirmed previously held doubts, said several U.S. officials.
Doubts. Not knowledge of untruth, just doubts.
In September 2002, the story of Iraq's interest in uranium from Africa was first made public in a British government dossier on Iraq's weapons program. Tenet and top aides, who appeared days later before two congressional committees, were asked about the British claim.

Tenet told lawmakers that there were reports of Iraqi attempts to buy uranium but that there were doubts about the reports' accuracy. Not a week later, the CIA circulated a classified National Intelligence Estimate (NIE) on Iraq. Neither allegation -- that Iraq sought uranium in Africa or Niger -- made it into the document's "key judgments" section, according to portions of the NIE made public Friday.
There's that word "doubts" again. This does not indicate that CIA knew the report was inaccurate, they merely doubted it.
On page 25, however, the NIE stated that a foreign government had reported that Niger "planned to send several tons of pure uranium (probably yellowcake) to Iraq. . . . We do not know the status of this arrangement." On the same page, it cites reports indicating Iraq's approaches to Somalia and Congo. "We cannot confirm whether Iraq succeeded in acquiring uranium ore and/or yellowcake from these sources," the NIE stated.
They couldn't confirm the report. But disprove it either. This does not indicate certain knowledge of the report's inaccuracy.
On page 84, the State Department's intelligence bureau, in a dissenting analysis, said "claims of Iraqi pursuit of natural uranium in Africa are . . . highly dubious." No references to Iraq seeking yellowcake from Niger, Congo, Somalia or anywhere else appeared in the NIE that was publicly released on Oct. 4.
Again, highly dubious indicates doubt and uncertainty, not certain knowledge of the report's inaccuracy.

Moving along:
Days after the Italian journalist Burba handed the documents to the U.S. Embassy in Rome on Oct. 11, intelligence officials had nearly completely discounted their substance, which mirrored the reports Wilson and others had discounted eight months earlier. In fact, when the State Department's intelligence branch distributed the documents on Oct. 16 to the CIA and other intelligence agencies, it included a caveat that the claims were of "dubious authenticity."
This indicates a high level of doubt in the report. It does not indicates that Bush or anyone who advised him knew it to be false.

I asked for proof that Bush deliberately lied - proof that he made a claim while knowing that Saddam had no WMDs, which was the claim that was made. You haven't provided any. Nowhere in any of those quotes will you find words to the effect that Iraq was known to possess no WMDs, but Bush, as alleged, led us into war claiming that he did despite his knowledge that Saddam had none. What you have provided is proof that he knew the reports about yellowcake and aluminum tubes were dubious, but not that he knew they were untrue. You have not proven that he lied. It is, of course, possible that he did, and all the peole quoted were careful enough with their choice of words not to betray their certainty. However, it is equally possible that Bush genuinely believed that Saddam Hussein did have WMDs, and did make efforts to advance a nuclear program, but was clever enough in hiding them that we just didn't have any good hard evidence, and that Bush also believed that after we defeated Saddam and had access to Iraqi documents, captured Iraqi personnel, etc. we would discover where he had been hiding these things.

Does this mean Bush was not completely forthcoming? Yes. Does this mean that Bush led us into a war on very dubious grounds? Yes, it does. Does this mean that Bush lied? It may. Or it may mean allowed himself to believe that Saddam had WMDs even though we little hard evidence for it, and he acted on this belief. If that is the case, you may question his judgement, but you have not proven that he lied.

And the interesting thing is that you demand proof beyond any reasonable doubt about Clinton's lies, but you are entirely ready to condemn Bush even though all reasonable doubt has not been eliminated.
Andrew J.
Sith Marauder

Post by Andrew J. »

Perinquus wrote:Alright Degan, it's clear we're never going to agree about Clinton and his perjury. You are never going to convince me that he wasn't lying through his teeth.
I think we all agree that he lied, it's just that you're the only one who gives a shit.
Don't hate; appreciate!

RIP Eddie.
Perinquus
Virus-X Wannabe

Post by Perinquus »

Andrew J. wrote:
Perinquus wrote:Alright Degan, it's clear we're never going to agree about Clinton and his perjury. You are never going to convince me that he wasn't lying through his teeth.
I think we all agree that he lied, it's just that you're the only one who gives a shit.
Yes, silly me. Thinking that integrity ought to be important...
Iceberg
ASVS Master of Laundry

Post by Iceberg »

Perinquus wrote:
Andrew J. wrote:
Does any of us give a shit where Slick Willie was putting his... well... slick willie? Besides you, I mean?
"Carriers dispense fighters, which dispense assbeatings." - White Haven

| Hyperactive Gundam Pilot of MM | GALE | ASVS | Cleaners | Kibologist (beable) | DFB |
If only one rock and roll song echoes into tomorrow
There won't be anything to keep you from the distant morning glow.
I'm not a man. I just portrayed one for 15 years.
Xenophobe3691
Sith Marauder

Post by Xenophobe3691 »

Perinquus wrote: Yes, silly me. Thinking that integrity ought to be important...
And the rest of us realize that normal people make mistakes, and he was just trying to cover it up like any normal man. If anything, that gives him even more of an empathy vote with us all.
Dark Heresy: Dance Macabre - Imperial Psyker Magnus Arterra

BoTM
Proud Decepticon

Post 666 Made on Fri Jul 04, 2003 @ 12:48 pm
Post 1337 made on Fri Aug 22, 2003 @ 9:18 am
Post 1492 Made on Fri Aug 29, 2003 @ 5:16 pm

Hail Xeno: Lord of Calculus -- Ace Pace
SirNitram

Post by SirNitram »

Perinquus wrote:
Andrew J. wrote:
If he had lied about something of import as to his job as President, it would register above the 'so what?' part. I'm sorry you can't recignize that sex does not make one evil.
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

Perinquus
Virus-X Wannabe

Post by Perinquus »

Iceberg wrote:
Perinquus wrote:
Andrew J. wrote: I think we all agree that he lied, it's just that you're the only one who gives a shit.
Does any of us give a shit where Slick Willie was putting his... well... slick willie? Besides you, I mean?
God almighty CAN YOU FUCKING READ!?!?!

When have I ever suggested, anywhere, that Clinton should be impeached for his marital infidelity itself? Show me the quote. When have I even ever suggested that Clinton should have been impeached for any other lie he ever told? Show me the quote.

What I have said over and over again is that his impeachable offense was perjury. Not marital infidelity, not lying at a press conference or a speech or an interview, but for lying under oath. And why? Because it just happens to be against the law.
Perinquus wrote:The big objection Clinton apologists have is that it was over a matter that they consider to be of relatively little significance. Well so what? The law makes no provisions as regards to either the nature of the lie, or to motive either. A lie, is a lie, is a lie. There is no 1st, 2nd, or 3rd degree perjury, it's just perjury. So any kind of "it's about sex and that's not really important" argument is out the window. If he committed perjury, it's a felony, and impeachable.

Perinquus wrote:Clinton was asked a question; he was required to answer it honestly, or if the answer was such as to incriminate him, he should have taken the Fifth - that's why it's there. He didn't do that. He lied. Perjury. Quod erat demostrandum.
Perinquus wrote:If it is just another lie he told to people, I'd agree. But this is a lie told under oath, and is felony. I have this strange idea that presidents ought not commit felonies. I know that most of them probably have, but they shouldn't, and when they get caught doing it, there ought to be a price to pay.
Perinquus wrote:I'm referring to the lie he told in his deposition. The lie in that press conference wasn't perjury, it just undermines the hell out of his (already shaky) credibility.
Perinquus wrote:However, it just so happens that lying at a press conference is not a crime. It may be reprehensible, but it isn't criminal. Perjury, on the other hand, is.
Now how is it that I can say over and over and over and fucking over again that my big objection here is the perjury, and I can even, in the last quote above, also state clearly that lying while not under oath is not criminal, and therefore not impeachable, and you still somehow can't understand that my objection is perjury? Not his marital infidelity, not just lying about his marital infidelity, but his lying about his marital infidelity while under oath. And if he ever lied about anything else while under oath, my reaction would be exactly the same.

Well since you seem to have an inordinate amount of difficulty understanding plain English, let's try this:

Clintons Verbrechen war nicht seine Untreue, sondern war es seiner Meineid.
Perinquus
Virus-X Wannabe

Post by Perinquus »

SirNitram wrote:
Perinquus wrote:
Andrew J. wrote: I think we all agree that he lied, it's just that you're the only one who gives a shit.
If he had lied about something of import as to his job as President, it would register above the 'so what?' part. I'm sorry you can't recignize that sex does not make one evil.
And again, there is no first or second degree perjury, there is just perjury. It doesn't matter what you lie about, if you do it under oath it is perjury. Gee I'm real sorry if that doesn't sit well with you, but that's the law. And there's a real simple way not to perjure yourself if you can't answer honestly without incriminating yourself; it's called taking the fifth amendment.
SirNitram

Post by SirNitram »

Perinquus wrote:
SirNitram wrote:
Perinquus wrote: Yes, silly me. Thinking that integrity ought to be important...
And again, there is no first or second degree perjury, there is just perjury. It doesn't matter what you lie about, if you do it under oath it is perjury. Gee I'm real sorry if that doesn't sit well with you, but that's the law. And there's a real simple way not to perjure yourself if you can't answer honestly without incriminating yourself; it's called taking the fifth amendment.
And again I fail to give a shit. If there was a case for perjury, I am sure the Right would be seeing it prosecuted instead of spending the money on defamation.

Again, you're a little slow, so I'll repeat myself. I don't care what the law says on the matter. He didn't lie about anything that mattered to his Presidency. Therefore, whether he has integrity on his sexual affairs matters nothing.

You can again try and convert this into legality, but you're so far twisted around your own mind, you don't even realize no one's caring.

Glocksman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Glocksman »

And again I fail to give a shit. If there was a case for perjury, I am sure the Right would be seeing it prosecuted instead of spending the money on defamation.
I believe since he was already indicted in the House and tried in the Senate, he can't be prosecuted again because of double jeopardy.

Despite the Senate outcome, the Arkanasas bar thought there was enough proof of the charges to strip him of his license to practice law.

I don't care what the law says on the matter. He didn't lie about anything that mattered to his Presidency. Therefore, whether he has integrity on his sexual affairs matters nothing.
To you it might not.

To others a man who will violate his marriage vows is both contemptible and can't be trusted on anything else because of his demonstrated capacity to violate supposedly sacred oaths.

Either way, at this point in time the debate is meaningless.
Clinton's gone.
"You say that it is your custom to burn widows. Very well. We also have a custom: when men burn a woman alive, we tie a rope around their necks and we hang them. Build your funeral pyre; beside it, my carpenters will build a gallows. You may follow your custom. And then we will follow ours."- General Sir Charles Napier

Oderint dum metuant
Iceberg
ASVS Master of Laundry

Post by Iceberg »

Perinquus wrote:
Iceberg wrote:
God almighty CAN YOU FUCKING READ!?!?!

When have I ever suggested, anywhere, that Clinton should be impeached for his marital infidelity itself? Show me the quote. When have I even ever suggested that Clinton should have been impeached for any other lie he ever told? Show me the quote.

What I have said over and over again is that his impeachable offense was perjury. Not marital infidelity, not lying at a press conference or a speech or an interview, but for lying under oath. And why? Because it just happens to be against the law.
I can read just fine.

As others have mentioned, you know what the complete lack of a criminal prosecution and conviction against Mr. Clinton makes him with respect to the charges of perjury? NOT GUILTY.

Even a blind Republican partisan like you has to admit that Clinton's impeachment was one hundred percent a political directive, the culmination of a six-year effort to destroy the life of the President of the United States. The limp-wristedness of the charges brought against President Clinton in his impeachment hearings bore that out. There was no clear-cut case against him, which is why he didn't take the Nixonian out and resign before he could be impeached - because he knew, and everybody in America who wasn't a biased lying ass knew - that the charges against him were so weak they would never stand up to a trial in the Senate, let alone in court.

The hunting of the President - the ongoing twelve-year campaign to destroy Bill and Hillary Clinton - is one of the biggest reasons I can never, ever be a Republican. Because it demonstrates without a shadow of a doubt that the Republican Party is EVIL. At least the Dems leave some wiggle-room for rationalization (the closest thing I'll get to voting my conscience in a two-party system without needlessly throwing my vote away on third-party candidates who won't amount to anything).
"Carriers dispense fighters, which dispense assbeatings." - White Haven

| Hyperactive Gundam Pilot of MM | GALE | ASVS | Cleaners | Kibologist (beable) | DFB |
If only one rock and roll song echoes into tomorrow
There won't be anything to keep you from the distant morning glow.
I'm not a man. I just portrayed one for 15 years.
Perinquus
Virus-X Wannabe

Post by Perinquus »

Iceberg wrote: The hunting of the President - the ongoing twelve-year campaign to destroy Bill and Hillary Clinton - is one of the biggest reasons I can never, ever be a Republican. Because it demonstrates without a shadow of a doubt that the Republican Party is EVIL.
Can you say "hasty generalization fallacy"? And you say I'm mindlessly partisan? Give me a fucking break. Of course, there were a Republicans in and out of congress who were not in favor of the effort to impeach Clinton because they felt it would fail, and they didn't want to spend their political capital in an doomed effort. And there were also 31 Democrats in the House who voted in favor of impeachment because they felt that the president had acted illegally. But please, don't let facts get in the way of your hasty generalizations. It's so much more simple and comforting to portray your political opponents as evil than it is to admit that they are just people with different ideologies and points of view.

If you imagine the Democrats are one iota less self serving and partisan you need to take the rose colored glasses off. Take, for example, the current shenanigans in the senate judiciary committee. In the past, a simple majority vote was good enough to confirm a judicial appointee. The problem the Democrats have is that they lost control of the senate in 2002. So they decided a simple majority vote would no longer be good enough. Now they insist on a super majority of 60 votes. Article II, Section 2, Clause 2 provides for a super majority in only one Senate proceeding - the ratification of treaties. So let's not have any argument that there is nothing wrong with requiring 60 votes to confirm a judicial nomination. If 60 votes had been felt to be necessary, the constitution would have been written that way.

For the past two years Tome Daschle and the rest of the senate Dems have been preventing votes on the floor of the Senate for confirmation of many of Bush's judicial nominees. Never before in the history of the United States Senate has the minority party made it a routine practice to prevent confirmation votes on judicial nominees that had the necessary majority vote waiting for them. Never. The Democrats are flouting the Constitution and a couple of centuries of Senate tradition, and they are doing it because they cannot stand to be out of power, so this is their way of trying to get it back. Majority rules be damned. Mandate for the majority party from the electorate be damned.

Politicians of both parties can be equally crass, partisan, greedy, selfish, dishonest, and corrupt. If you imagine otherwise you are kidding yourself. The two parties merely have different aims and ideologies that they carry on their shenanigans to promote. Sane people have some awareness of this. To characterize one party, and by extension all the people in it, as EVIL is a simplistic, dogmatic, and frankly juvenile outlook.

It's something else too. It's scary. People like you scare the hell out of me. You are exactly the kind of person I fear getting his hands on power. If you are so wrapped up in your cause and your ideology that you can't see your political opponents simply as people with different ideas, values, and points of view, but must instead characterize them as evil... Well, that's exactly the kind of thinking that led some of the French revolutionaries to label their opponents as "enemies of the people", and enabled them to justify the bloodshed of the reign of terror. It's also exactly the justification the communist dictatorships used for all their purges and mass murders. These people are enemies of the state. Enemies of the people. They are evil. And what do you do with evil people? God knows, you can't coexist with them. You can't work with them. You can't compromise with them. They're evil. You don't compromise with evil.

Wipe the foam of your chin and grow up.
Andrew J.
Sith Marauder

Post by Andrew J. »

Perinquus wrote:Can you say "hasty generalization fallacy"? And you say I'm mindlessly partisan? Give me a fucking break. Of course, there were a Republicans in and out of congress who were not in favor of the effort to impeach Clinton because they felt it would fail, and they didn't want to spend their political capital in an doomed effort. And there were also 31 Democrats in the House who voted in favor of impeachment because they felt that the president had acted illegally.
Hm? I thought an impeachment was just a trial. If people are in favor of one it means they think the person in question might have acted illegally. Now if those 31 Democrats had actually voted for a conviction you might have a point. (You like playing with semantics and legal vagaries so damn much, see how you like a taste of your own medicine.)
Don't hate; appreciate!

RIP Eddie.
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

Am I the only person amused by right-wingers who claim that Bush didn't really lie about Iraq because he didn't actually say "imminent", but they accuse Clinton of perjury even though he never said "blowjob"?

July of 1999, Bush swore under oath in the "funeralgate" case that neither he nor his office had any dealings with SCI (a funeral home company accused of using "apprentices to embalm stiffs) or attempts to quash the investigation. But Robert MacNeil, a Bush appointee said he discussed it several times with Dubya -including once at a fundraiser paid for in part by... SCI!

The head of SCI told Newsweek that he and the company's attorney gave Bush's chief of staff a letter DEMANDING that any investigation be dropped. According to the two SCI men, Bush stuck his head in the room and asked if the bureau that regulates funeral homes was giving them a hard time and asked if they were being taken care of.

Kind of odd how three Bush SUPPORTERS have testified that Dubya lied under oath. In any event, defrauding families of the dead and using state power to cover it up is more inportant than getting head of state from an intern.

The loony Right hates Clinton for the same reason they hated LBJ and FDR: He kicked their asses at the polls.
Perinquus
Virus-X Wannabe

Post by Perinquus »

Andrew J. wrote:
Perinquus wrote:Can you say "hasty generalization fallacy"? And you say I'm mindlessly partisan? Give me a fucking break. Of course, there were a Republicans in and out of congress who were not in favor of the effort to impeach Clinton because they felt it would fail, and they didn't want to spend their political capital in an doomed effort. And there were also 31 Democrats in the House who voted in favor of impeachment because they felt that the president had acted illegally.
Hm? I thought an impeachment was just a trial. If people are in favor of one it means they think the person in question might have acted illegally. Now if those 31 Democrats had actually voted for a conviction you might have a point. (You like playing with semantics and legal vagaries so damn much, see how you like a taste of your own medicine.)
I've still got a point. The point is that the initiation of the impeachment proceedings was not just some evil Republican plot to get Clinton out of office. Even those who did not in the end vote for conviction (and that includes some Republicans - clear proof that Republicans are evil, unprincipled bastards out to destroy their opponents at any cost) felt their was enough evidence to initiate an investigation and trial. It was not the black/white issue Iceberg would so very much like to believe it is.

All the vote proves is that politicians - and this includes Republicans and Democrats both - are opportunists who will seize what looks like a good chance to get back in power. Quel fucking surprise.
Andrew J.
Sith Marauder

Post by Andrew J. »

Perinquus wrote:I've still got a point. The point is that the initiation of the impeachment proceedings was not just some evil Republican plot to get Clinton out of office. Even those who did not in the end vote for conviction (and that includes some Republicans - clear proof that Republicans are evil, unprincipled bastards out to destroy their opponents at any cost) felt their was enough evidence to initiate an investigation and trial.
They probably just thought it would be politically expedient to vote for impeachment to seem "tough on immorality" or whatever. Do you think even a quarter of those 31 (approximately; I know 4 doesn't divide into 31 evenly) would have voted for conviction if God Himself came down from heaven and told them Clinton was guilty?

Republicans aren't all evil, unprincipled bastards. Some of them are stupid, too. :P

And why the hell do you care about the reputation of the Republican party, anyway? Aren't you a Libertarian?
Don't hate; appreciate!

RIP Eddie.
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

Master of Ossus wrote:
Crown wrote:As opposed to resolution 1441 and its 'serious consequences'? And why would it be EXPLICITY ILLEGAL all of a sudden, if the proposed resolution was struck down?
Because that's how international law in the UN works. 1441 provided them with enough to legally cover their bases. However, if they sought another resolution that was then struck down by the UN, that would make any military actions illegal because the UN would have rejected their ability to apply force.
Rubbish.

They bring a resolution specifically to invade Iraq, it gains the majority of the votes in the SC, but gets vetoed by France.

The US and UK express outrage. They paint the French as being intransigent, incorrigible and stubborn, who through their own hubris have chosen to thwart the will of the international community.

They go back to the drawing board and come back a few days/weeks later and say, despite the French acting irresponsibly (you see the US/UK can now legitamily bash France at every opportunity for political points scoring), they have rather cleverly realised that Resolution 1441 provides enough legal justification for an invasion in Iraq. They invade.

Sound familiar?

Unless there is a resolution passed through the SC specifically decrying resolution 1441, it is still valid. Period.
Η ζωή, η ζωή εδω τελειώνει!
"Science is one cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on" - Masuka 'Dexter'
"Angela is not the woman you think she is Gabriel, she's done terrible things"
"So have I, and I'm going to do them all to you." - Sylar to Arthur 'Heroes'
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Post by Master of Ossus »

Crown wrote:Rubbish.

They bring a resolution specifically to invade Iraq, it gains the majority of the votes in the SC, but gets vetoed by France.

The US and UK express outrage. They paint the French as being intransigent, incorrigible and stubborn, who through their own hubris have chosen to thwart the will of the international community.

They go back to the drawing board and come back a few days/weeks later and say, despite the French acting irresponsibly (you see the US/UK can now legitamily bash France at every opportunity for political points scoring), they have rather cleverly realised that Resolution 1441 provides enough legal justification for an invasion in Iraq. They invade.

Sound familiar?

Unless there is a resolution passed through the SC specifically decrying resolution 1441, it is still valid. Period.
Wrong. If you seek a separate resolution explicitly authorizing the use of force, and it fails, then the more recent resolution's failure to pass takes precedence over the older one, and makes the previous one irrelevant for the purposes of authorizing the use of force. While France would doubtless have become a target because of their veto, the war with Iraq would still have been explicitly illegal, as opposed to being legally justifiable under 1441.
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

Latinum Star Recipient; Hacker's Cross Award Winner

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away."