Nice to see that LA lawmakers have their priorities straight

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi
What Kind of Username is That?

Nice to see that LA lawmakers have their priorities straight

Post by Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi »

In case you were wondering, that title was sarcastic
DALLAS - Memo to Britney Spears: Make sure to forget those low-rise jeans next time you fly home to Louisiana.

And Ludacris, why don’t you pull up your pants and cinch them with a belt before you take the stage in Baton Rouge.

Otherwise, you might both get a ticket.

That’s what the Louisiana House Criminal Justice Committee approved last week. The new proposed bill would crack down on anyone who wears low-slinging, pants-sagging, belly-baring, underwear-peeking pants. It faces the full State House sometime within the next two months.

"Baggy Pants Bill"
House Bill 1626, also known as the “Baggy Pants Bill” states: “It shall be unlawful for any person to appear in public wearing his pants below his waist and thereby exposing his skin or intimate clothing.”

State Representative Derrick Shepherd’s bill would make any violator subject to three eight-hour days of community service and up to a fine of $175.

That means the local teens on the basketball court are going to have to keep their pants up, too.

Shepherd told the New Orleans Times-Picayune, "There's a way to shoot hoops professionally. You don't have to shoot hoops with your pants below your waist."

He thinks the waistline location might even improve their behavior.

"Hopefully, if we pull up their pants," he said, "we can lift their minds while we're at it."

Local councilman Glenn Green said, “It’s getting to the point where these young men and women are just getting offensive with their underwear showing, the cracks between their buttocks showing…their g-strings showing. It’s hard to legislate morality; you can’t really do that. It just comes to a point of plain old bad taste and it’s just gotta stop.”

Executive director of the American Civil Liberties Union's Louisiana chapter, Joe Cook, does not think the bill will likely pass the full House floor. He said the Supreme Court doesn’t usually prohibit obscene behavior under the First Amendment.

“It infringes on young people’s freedom of expression and their privacy rights. The zone of privacy they have and the right to be left alone,” Cook said.

So, what about your local plumber?

"What about a woman who is wearing a bathing suit under her garment or she has something like a sarong wrapped around her and it's below her waist?" Cook said. "I can think of a lot of workers, plumbers, who are working and expose their buttocks and the beginning of the crack of their anus."

The Times-Picayune notes that this is the fourth effort in five years to legislate jeans-wearing etiquette state-wide in Louisiana.

$500 penalty in one small town
But, one small town has been mandating it locally for years.

In the town of Opelousas, wearing saggy pants is considered a misdemeanor and carries a maximum penalty of a $500 fine and up to 6 months in prison.

Captain Ronnie Trahan with the Opelousas Police Department said, “The problem that we’re having is not with individuals exposing their underwear. We had a problem with individuals exposing more than their underwear.”

And down the bayou in the town of Westwego, a city councilman in 2002 attempted to bar low-riding jeans from public buildings. (The city attorney warned the city would interfere with freedom of speech and would not meet federal standards, so the councilman later ditched the proposal.)

As for Britney and Ludacris, they may be safe to hang in Louisiana for a few more days. The full Louisiana State House hasn’t passed the bill yet. They plan to take it up sometime before the end of session on June 21.

Bethany Thomas is the NBC News Dallas Bureau coordinator.
I'm wondering when such people will realize that the earth revolves around the sun and not their Puritan mindset, and stop pulling stuff like this.
BotM: Just another monkey|HAB
Frank Hipper
Overfiend of the Superego

Post by Frank Hipper »

Stupidest fucking thing I've heard in a fucking while, contempt and disbelief don't even convey a miniscule fraction of what I felt on reading that. :x
Life is all the eternity you get, use it wisely.
HemlockGrey
Fucking Awesome

Post by HemlockGrey »

Fuck, does anything like this ever happen north of the Mason-Dixon line?
The End of Suburbia
"If more cars are inevitable, must there not be roads for them to run on?"
-Robert Moses

"The Wire" is the best show in the history of television. Watch it today.
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Post by Admiral Valdemar »

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

I'm amused somewhat that when WWIII eventually turns up, the mighty resources of the US will be otherwise directed from destroying the evil hordes of sexy streetwear and not commies or undead Nazi armies.
Captain tycho
Has Elected to Receive

Post by Captain tycho »

Admiral Valdemar wrote:HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

I'm amused somewhat that when WWIII eventually turns up, the mighty resources of the US will be otherwise directed from destroying the evil hordes of sexy streetwear and not commies or undead Nazi armies.
FUQ! :lol:
Captain Tycho!
The worst fucker ever!
The Best reciever ever!
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Well, I can't say I wouldn't mind banning stuff that shows your underwear in normal view. :P

Not that I would ever make it a law, but I am amused by it. :)
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
GySgt. Hartman
Jedi Knight

Re: Nice to see that LA lawmakers have their priorities stra

Post by GySgt. Hartman »

"Hopefully, if we pull up their pants," he said, "we can lift their minds while we're at it."
Forgive me for saying this, but this kind of stupidity is typical for the religious right in the US.
In the town of Opelousas, wearing saggy pants is considered a misdemeanor and carries a maximum penalty of a $500 fine and up to 6 months in prison.
6 months in prison for wearing your pants too low? But wait - this is Louisiana:
In what the American Civil Liberties Union is calling a "disappointing setback," the Louisiana Supreme Court upheld the state's 195-year-old sodomy law in a 5-2 decision July 6, which threatens consenting adults with five-year prison terms for engaging in oral or anal sex in the privacy of their own homes.
The state, where visible underwear is as bad as handgun possession by a minor:
A. It is unlawful for any person who has not attained the age of seventeen years knowingly to possess any handgun on his person. Any person possessing any handgun in violation of this Section commits the offense of illegal possession of a handgun by a juvenile.

B.(1) On a first conviction, the offender shall be fined not more than one hundred dollars and imprisoned for not less than ninety days and not more than six months.
"If you ladies leave my island, if you survive recruit training, you will be a weapon,
you will be a minister of death, praying for war." - GySgt. Hartman

"God has a hard on for Marines, because we kill everything we see." - GySgt. Hartman
Durandal
Bile-Driven Hate Machine

Post by Durandal »

I'm sure that this new ordnance will help solve many social problems that exist in Louisiana.
Damien Sorresso

"Ever see what them computa bitchez do to numbas? It ain't natural. Numbas ain't supposed to be code, they supposed to quantify shit."
- The Onion
Keevan_Colton
Emperor's Hand
Location: In the Land of Logic and Reason, two doors down from Lilliput and across the road from Atlantis...

Post by Keevan_Colton »

The louisiana thing is from 2000.
"Prodesse Non Nocere."
"It's all about popularity really, if your invisible friend that tells you to invade places is called Napoleon, you're a loony, if he's called Jesus then you're the president."
"I'd drive more people insane, but I'd have to double back and pick them up first..."
"All it takes for bullshit to thrive is for rational men to do nothing." - Kevin Farrell, B.A. Journalism.
BOTM - EBC - Horseman - G&C - Vampire
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Durandal wrote:I'm sure that this new ordnance will help solve many social problems that exist in Louisiana.
I think birth control would solve more.
Einhander Sn0m4n
Insane Railgunner
Location: Louisiana... or Dagobah. You know, where Yoda lives.

Post by Einhander Sn0m4n »

Admiral Valdemar wrote:
Durandal wrote:I'm sure that this new ordnance will help solve many social problems that exist in Louisiana.
Or a really big Hurricane... :twisted:
Image Image
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Einhander Sn0m4n wrote:
Admiral Valdemar wrote:
Or a really big Hurricane... :twisted:
Why not both? A hurricane of condoms and IUDs!
Tribun
Jedi Council Member

Post by Tribun »

Thank the gos that the lawmakers here in Europe have better things to do than things like that.....
Lord Poe
Sith Apprentice

Post by Lord Poe »

I think its the most idiotic, goddamned thing I've ever seen when I see these idiots walk around with their pants just above their knees. Literally. I don't care if they want to do it, but its pretty stupid.

"Brian, if I parked a supertanker in Central Park, painted it neon orange, and set it on fire, it would be less obvious than your stupidity." --RedImperator
The Third Man
Jedi Knight

Post by The Third Man »

Tribun wrote: Thank the gos that the lawmakers here in Europe have better things to do than things like that.....
Not necessarily. On the day that the last major British motor car manufacturer dissappeared, Mr Blair was busy at Downing Street with a group of experts discussing the matter of what exact thin-ness of fashion model the UK public should be protected from seeing.

That same year (IIRC), the House of Commons (however many hundreds of them on however many tens of thousands they get paid per year) discussed legislating the maximum permissible high-ness of high-heeled shoes, after some Japanese girl (tragically) toppled off her excessively (arguably) high items and died.
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Lord Poe wrote:I think its the most idiotic, goddamned thing I've ever seen when I see these idiots walk around with their pants just above their knees. Literally. I don't care if they want to do it, but its pretty stupid.
Ditto. Still, making a law about it? Sounds kinda harsh. Amsuing as Hell, but harsh.

Maybe they just want to send a message? Though, in typical teen fashion, that only means more kids are liekly to do it now. *sigh*
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight