Hyporhetical US position

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Hyporhetical US position

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

Say a cuban general shows up at the gates of Gitmo, with a message from Fidel:

your 99 year keast expired January 1992, we are no longer interested in accepting your presence on our soverign territory, please withdraw all us personell from gauntomino bay including camp x-ray within 30 days.

now, in all legal sense the government of Cuba has every legal right to do this our base has been operating without a lease and paying cuba extra penalties since 1992.

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
MKSheppard
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger

Re: Hyporhetical US position

Post by MKSheppard »

The Yosemite Bear wrote: now, in all legal sense the government of Cuba has every legal right to do this our base has been operating without a lease and paying cuba extra penalties since 1992.
Except Fidel has refused to cash the checks that we send him each year...
so legally, I'd say he can't do that.
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

I'm near certain the US lease was indefinite
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Glocksman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Glocksman »

You are absolutely correct.

CBS story
War Booty
Teddy Roosevelt is largely responsible for the establishment of the base, which was leased in virtual perpetuity (not in a legal sense) as "war booty" to the United States by Spain at the end of the Spanish American War in 1898. When the leases were signed in 1903, the United States also was given Guam, the Philippines, Puerto Rico and three other military bases in Cuba for the "payment of $2,000 in gold coin" (later adjusted to market value). Guantanamo was the only base that remained. The Guantanamo Bay Naval Base was leased to the U.S. in an agreement -- unlike other historic agreements -- that requires both parties (the U.S. and the Government of Cuba) to agree to end the lease, giving the U.S. a quasi-permanency on Cuban territory.
"You say that it is your custom to burn widows. Very well. We also have a custom: when men burn a woman alive, we tie a rope around their necks and we hang them. Build your funeral pyre; beside it, my carpenters will build a gallows. You may follow your custom. And then we will follow ours."- General Sir Charles Napier

Oderint dum metuant
The Yosemite Bear

No the lease was renuable after 99 years, guess what the Spanish American war ended in 1892, US occupation of Guantomino Bay began in 1893. My college Social Sciences class saw this as a definate future point of conflict in 1990, basically Fidel is old, but Greedy and not that senile.

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
The Yosemite Bear

I stand corrected, my premis was that the situation was different. my bad.

Glocksman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Glocksman »

TEXTS OF UNITED STATES - CUBAN AGREEMENTS AND TREATY OF 1934
Article III

Until the two contracting parties agree to the modifications or abrogation of the stipulations of the agreement in regard to the lease to the United States of America of lands in Cuba for coaling and naval stations signed by the President of the Republic of Cuba on February 16, 1903, and by the President of the United States of America on the 23rd day of the same month and year, the stipulations of that agreement with regard to the naval stations of Guantanamo shall continue in effect. The supplementary agreement in regard to naval or coaling stations signed between the two Governments on July 2, 1903, also shall continue in effect in the same form and on the same conditions with respect to the naval station at Guantanamo. So long as the United States of America shall not abandon the said naval station of Guantanamo or the two Governments shall not agree to a modification of its present limits, the station shall continue to have territorial area that it now has, with the limits that it has on the date of the signature of the preset Treaty.
Your teacher is wrong.
"You say that it is your custom to burn widows. Very well. We also have a custom: when men burn a woman alive, we tie a rope around their necks and we hang them. Build your funeral pyre; beside it, my carpenters will build a gallows. You may follow your custom. And then we will follow ours."- General Sir Charles Napier

Oderint dum metuant
Sarevok
The Fearless One

Post by Sarevok »

Legaly Cuba has the right to take back its terrotory. But in reality they wont even try.
I have to tell you something everything I wrote above is a lie.
Frank Hipper
Overfiend of the Superego

Post by Frank Hipper »

The Yosemite Bear wrote:No the lease was renuable after 99 years, guess what the Spanish American war ended in 1892, US occupation of Guantomino Bay began in 1893. My college Social Sciences class saw this as a definate future point of conflict in 1990, basically Fidel is old, but Greedy and not that senile.
The Spanish American War didn't even begin[/i] until 1898, Mr. Bear.
Life is all the eternity you get, use it wisely.