*tips hat to Donald Rumsfeld*

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

MKSheppard
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger

*tips hat to Donald Rumsfeld*

Post by MKSheppard »

http://www.hillnews.com/open_secrets/010704.aspx

The Time cover that didn’t appear

Rummy declined honor as ‘Person of the Year’

It isn’t often that someone turns down an offer to be Time magazine’s “Person of the Year,” especially when that someone is as important as Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld.

But that’s what Rumsfeld did when he learned that Time was planning to honor him in its year-end issue last month.

Rumsfeld told guests at a holiday party that in this year of conflict in Iraq and Afghanistan, the U.S. military deserved the honor more than he did, which is why Army Sgts. Marquette Whiteside and Ronald Buxton and Spc. Billie Grimes turned up on Time’s Dec. 29 cover.

Time Managing Editor James Kelly appears to confirm Rumseld’s self-effacing act, if only obliquely, in an editor’s note recounting that when he and several other editors “met with Rumsfeld at the Pentagon in November to talk about the war, [the Defense Secretary] made the pitch, unsolicited by us, that the Person of the Year should be the American soldier. (Or as he put it, the American volunteer.)”

Kelly also noted that Washington bureau chief Michael Duffy and senior correspondent Mark Thompson were working on a profile of Rumsfeld in preparation for the issue, but set it aside to help two fellow Time journalists who were injured in Iraq. (The profile appeared in the Person of the Year issue.)
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Post by Admiral Valdemar »

I wonder if that was a known known or a known unknown to the White House.
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Probably an unknown unknown.
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

It's actually quite a logical phrase, it just sounds stupid.
Mayabird is my girlfriend
Justice League:BotM:MM:SDnet City Watch:Cybertron's Finest
"Well then, science is bullshit. "
-revprez, with yet another brilliant rebuttal.
Howedar
Emperor's Thumb

Post by Howedar »

Well I still hate the man, but I guess I hate him a little bit less.
Howedar is no longer here. Need to talk to him? Talk to Pick.
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

If I where him I'd turn it down if only because of the horrible cover photo.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Icehawk
Jedi Council Member

Post by Icehawk »

Lol the weird expression on his face in that pic coupled with the question mark at the end of "year" makes it seem like a complete joke.
"The Cosmos is expanding every second everyday, but their minds are slowly shrinking as they close their eyes and pray." - MC Hawking
"It's like a kids game. A morbid, blood-soaked Tetris game..." - Mike Rowe (Dirty Jobs)