Harry Browne on the 4th of July

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

BlkbrryTheGreat
BANNED

Harry Browne on the 4th of July

Post by BlkbrryTheGreat »

Uncelebrating the Fourth

by Harry Browne

July 4, 2003

Unfortunately, July 4th has become a day of deceit.

On July 4, 1776, the Continental Congress formally declared its independence from Great Britain. Thirteen years later, after a difficult war to secure that independence, the new country was open for business.

It was truly unique — the first nation in all of history in which the individual was considered more important than the government, and the government was tied down by a written Constitution.

It was the one nation where you could live your life secure in the knowledge that no one would ask for your papers, where you weren't identified by a number, and where the government wouldn't extort a percentage of your income as the price of holding a job.

And so each year July 4th has been a commemoration of the freest country in history.

False Celebration

But the America that's celebrated no longer exists.

The holiday oratory deceitfully describes America as though it were the unique land of liberty that once was. Politicians thank the Almighty for conferring the blessings of liberty on a country that no longer enjoys those blessings. The original freedom and security have disappeared — even though the oratory lingers on.

What made America unique is now gone, and we are much the same as Germany, France, England, or Spain, with:

confiscatory taxes,

a Constitution and Bill of Rights that are symbolic only — merely documents used to justify governmental actions that are in fact prohibited by those documents,

business regulated by the state in the most minute detail,

no limits on what Congress or the President might decide to do.

Yes, there are some freedoms left, but nothing like the America that was — and nothing that you can't find in a few dozen other countries.

The Empire

Gone, too, is the sense of peace and security that once reigned throughout the land. America — bound by two huge oceans and two friendly neighbors — was subject to none of the never-ending wars and destruction that plagued Europe and Asia.

Now, however, everyone's business is America's business. Our Presidents consider themselves the rulers of the world — deciding who may govern any country on earth and sending Americans to die enforcing those decisions.

Whereas America was once an inspiration to the entire world — its very existence was proof that peace and liberty really were possible — Americans now live in fear of the rest of the world and the rest of the world lives in fear of America.

The Future

Because the education of our children was turned over to government in the 19th century, generations of Americans have been taught that freedom means taxes, regulations, civic duty, and responsibility for the whole world. They have no conception of the better life that could exist in a society in which government doesn't manage health care, education, welfare, and business — and in which individuals are free to plot their own destinies.

Human beings are born with the desire to make their own decisions and control their own lives. But in most countries government and social pressures work to teach people to expect very little autonomy.

Fortunately, in America a remnant has kept alive the ideas of liberty, peace, and self-respect — passing the concepts on from generation to generation. And so today millions of Americans know that the present system isn't the right system — that human beings aren't born to serve the state and police the world.

Millions more would be receptive upon being shown that it's possible to have better lives than what they're living now.

Both groups need encouragement to quit supporting those who are taking freedom away from them.

You and I may not have the money and influence to change America by ourselves, but we can keep spreading the word — describing a better society in which individuals are truly free and government is in chains (instead of the opposite).

And someday we may reach the people who do have the money and influence to persuade tens of millions of Americans to change our country for the better.

I don't know that it's going to happen, but I do know it's possible. I know that the urge to live one's own life is as basic in human beings as the will to live and the desire to procreate. If we keep plugging away, we may eventually tap into that urge and rally the forces necessary to restore the real America.

And then the 4th of July will be worth celebrating again.

--------

Harry Browne was the Libertarian Party presidential candidate in 1996 and 2000, and is now the Director of Public Policy for the American Liberty Foundation. You can read more of his articles at HarryBrowne.org.
Devolution is quite as natural as evolution, and may be just as pleasing, or even a good deal more pleasing, to God. If the average man is made in God's image, then a man such as Beethoven or Aristotle is plainly superior to God, and so God may be jealous of him, and eager to see his superiority perish with his bodily frame.

-H.L. Mencken
Joe
Space Cowboy

Post by Joe »

Good, good, until he starts in on the Empire bullshit.

BoTM / JL / MM / HAB / VRWC / Horseman

I'm studying for the CPA exam. Have a nice summer, and if you're down just sit back and realize that Joe is off somewhere, doing much worse than you are.
The Duchess of Zeon
Gözde

Post by The Duchess of Zeon »

Durran Korr wrote:Good, good, until he starts in on the Empire bullshit.
Harry Browne likes to conveniently forget that the first war fought under the Constitution was to defend American commercial interests against the Barbary Pirates.
The threshold for inclusion in Wikipedia is verifiability, not truth. -- Wikipedia's No Original Research policy page.

In 1966 the Soviets find something on the dark side of the Moon. In 2104 they come back. -- Red Banner / White Star, a nBSG continuation story. Updated to Chapter 4.0 -- 14 January 2013.
Joe
Space Cowboy

Post by Joe »

He also said in his book that the War of 1812 shouldn't have been fought - private maritime companies should have taken responsibility for sailors impressed into the British navy.

I'm studying for the CPA exam. Have a nice summer, and if you're down just sit back and realize that Joe is off somewhere, doing much worse than you are.
HemlockGrey
Fucking Awesome

Post by HemlockGrey »

The government has tried to subvert the Constitution ever since the Alien and Sedition Acts.
The End of Suburbia
"If more cars are inevitable, must there not be roads for them to run on?"
-Robert Moses

"The Wire" is the best show in the history of television. Watch it today.
The Duchess of Zeon
Gözde

Durran Korr wrote:He also said in his book that the War of 1812 shouldn't have been fought - private maritime companies should have taken responsibility for sailors impressed into the British navy.
...Uhm? They were U.S. citizens! Being kidnapped. What did he want these "private maritime companies" to do? Outfit privateers to fight the British navy? They would have been treated as pirates. And, besides, that's basically a philosophical argument of saying that corporations should take care of a country's citizens in international affairs. Hell, I might argue for the primacy of the State, but I argue for the primacy of the State!
The threshold for inclusion in Wikipedia is verifiability, not truth. -- Wikipedia's No Original Research policy page.

In 1966 the Soviets find something on the dark side of the Moon. In 2104 they come back. -- Red Banner / White Star, a nBSG continuation story. Updated to Chapter 4.0 -- 14 January 2013.
Joe
Space Cowboy

Post by Joe »

Well, what he was saying was that the shipping companies shouldn't have been sending off sailors to be impressed, and should have negotiated their releases by themselves after they were impressed. Which is still unacceptable, of course.

Sobbastchianno
Youngling

Post by Sobbastchianno »

You go Harry. I think you are great. I voted for you both times.
The Christian Right Is Neither
No, I wasn't recruited, I was born human
No, I wasn't recruited, I was born gay (almost became Catholic as a teenager just to get sex).
Twisted, but functioning
Member of GALE
The Duchess of Zeon
Gözde

Durran Korr wrote:Well, what he was saying was that the shipping companies shouldn't have been sending off sailors to be impressed,
Uh? So our economy could fail? Did he want us all to live in some kind of pastoral quack-glory?
and should have negotiated their releases by themselves after they were impressed. Which is still unacceptable, of course.
Yes, rather. There are some things that the government exists for, and one is protecting its citizens. What the British did before the War of 1812 was clearly outrageous, and the case for our response was quite clear-cut.

Howedar
Emperor's Thumb

Post by Howedar »

I like some Libertarian ideas. This guys just wacko though.
MKSheppard
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger

Post by MKSheppard »

Howedar wrote:I like some Libertarian ideas. This guys just wacko though.
Which is why you should support the GREEN NAZI PARTY!

You know they're totally insane!
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
HemlockGrey
Fucking Awesome

Post by HemlockGrey »

No, I vote the party line. The Pot Party, that is.
The End of Suburbia
"If more cars are inevitable, must there not be roads for them to run on?"
-Robert Moses

"The Wire" is the best show in the history of television. Watch it today.
RedImperator
Roosevelt Republican

Post by RedImperator »

HemlockGrey wrote:No, I vote the party line. The Pot Party, that is.
I'd vote for them if they ran some local candidates.

Hey wait a minute..........I'm local, I've got lots of free time....hmm....
Any city gets what it admires, will pay for, and, ultimately, deserves…We want and deserve tin-can architecture in a tinhorn culture. And we will probably be judged not by the monuments we build but by those we have destroyed.--Ada Louise Huxtable, "Farewell to Penn Station", New York Times editorial, 30 October 1963
X-Ray Blues
Andrew J.
Sith Marauder

Post by Andrew J. »

He seems to think that governments control businesses, rather than the other way around, and he seems to think "civic duty" is a bad thing.

Nutbar. :roll:
Don't hate; appreciate!

RIP Eddie.
Wicked Pilot
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Wicked Pilot »

I'm a libertarian too, but I always put practicality over ideology. This Harry Browne guy is a kook.
The most basic assumption about the world is that it does not contradict itself.
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Nuts like give Libertarians a bad name as well, nuts.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

Sea Skimmer wrote:Nuts like give Libertarians a bad name as well, nuts.
Agreed. Libertarians have got some good ideas, but the party is full of nutballs. Brown also seems to suffer from the 'Good old Days' syndrome. The Good old days he seems to remember, never happened. (Imagine that)
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
RedImperator
Roosevelt Republican

Post by RedImperator »

Third parties always attract their share of oddballs. There's one Libertarian who turned himself blue after drinking some silver nitrate concoction for some reason.
Any city gets what it admires, will pay for, and, ultimately, deserves…We want and deserve tin-can architecture in a tinhorn culture. And we will probably be judged not by the monuments we build but by those we have destroyed.--Ada Louise Huxtable, "Farewell to Penn Station", New York Times editorial, 30 October 1963
X-Ray Blues