Found, $12 trillion dollars

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Alex Moon
Rabid Monkey

Found, $12 trillion dollars

Post by Alex Moon »

http://www.janegalt.net/blog/archives/004214.html
THE SOCIAL-SECURITY TIME BOMB could very well prove to be a dud. The doom and gloom red-ink budgetary forecasts of recent years have overlooked some astoundingly good news for the government: pensions, IRAs and other tax-deferred accounts should generate some $12 trillion in taxes by 2040. This mind-boggling pot-of-gold is larger, at a minimum, than the sum of the 75-year actuarial deficits in either Social Security or Medicare, according to Stanford economist Michael Boskin , who has written a pioneering paper on the subject for the National Bureau of Economic Research. We could end up with enough to offset both shortfalls, he says.
Thoughts anyone?
Warwolves | VRWC | BotM | Writer's Guild | Pie loves Rei
Howedar
Emperor's Thumb

Post by Howedar »

I hope its true.
Howedar is no longer here. Need to talk to him? Talk to Pick.
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

I hope it's true but that our government forgets about it entirely. I don't want those dumbasses in congress spending it before they have it. I also don't want them to use projections on those taxes to make up bs reasons as to why the budget is balanced etc...leading to shit talking and more spending.

I also don't want to hear crap about how this is Bill Clinton's (or any president"s) legacy because most of it was invested during his term of office.
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

A. They find about this NOW?!

Sorry after doing taxes for a few years...you literally see how this is a gold mine...*sigh*

B. I agree with Tysroc...I hope they forget about it in some form and fashion and not use it before it comes into reality.
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

Howedar wrote:I hope its true.
Actually I hope it isn't. The only way I see the goverment fixing the Social Security nightmare is if it goes tits up. I know that seem harsh of me, but SS needs some fine tunning and it won't happen if it still scraps along.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Planned, 12 trillion in new spending
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
HemlockGrey
Fucking Awesome

Post by HemlockGrey »

Well, our supplies of bombs are running kinda low, and we'd really, really like to be able to fight China, the EU, and most of Africa at the same time...
The End of Suburbia
"If more cars are inevitable, must there not be roads for them to run on?"
-Robert Moses

"The Wire" is the best show in the history of television. Watch it today.
Joe
Space Cowboy

Post by Joe »

My guess is that the government will do what it usually does with such revenue; spend it once, then promise to spend it again later. I hope I'm proven wrong, but as long as there are seniors that vote I doubt it will be.

BoTM / JL / MM / HAB / VRWC / Horseman

I'm studying for the CPA exam. Have a nice summer, and if you're down just sit back and realize that Joe is off somewhere, doing much worse than you are.
Sea Skimmer

Post by Sea Skimmer »

HemlockGrey wrote:Well, our supplies of bombs are running kinda low, and we'd really, really like to be able to fight China, the EU, and most of Africa at the same time...
We do not need eight billion bombs to do that.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
HemlockGrey
Fucking Awesome

Post by HemlockGrey »

We do not need eight billion bombs to do that.
Let's make a deal. The next time I am incorrect on some matter of modern military capabilities, you'll just grit your teeth and bear it, ok?
The End of Suburbia
"If more cars are inevitable, must there not be roads for them to run on?"
-Robert Moses

"The Wire" is the best show in the history of television. Watch it today.
Dark Hellion
Permanent n00b

Post by Dark Hellion »

Come on skimmer, we gotta make sure they are really really dead. Maybe we should buy some nukes, and give everyone in the U.S. an espresso machine too. That would be a good way to spend it huh.
But honestly, sounds kinda fishy, and really will be flushed down the shitter like all the money those idiots in washington get.
Who here thinks we should try to get 1 of our board members into washington, it would be a fun little experiment.
A teenage girl is just a teenage boy who can get laid.
-GTO

We're not just doing this for money; we're doing this for a shitload of money!
Rubberanvil
Jedi Master

Post by Rubberanvil »

HemlockGrey wrote:
Let's make a deal. The next time I am incorrect on some matter of modern military capabilities, you'll just grit your teeth and bear it, ok?
You just use the wrong weapon (should have use cruise missiles instead :wink: ) in your statement.
Sea Skimmer

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Dark Hellion wrote:Come on skimmer, we gotta make sure they are really really dead. Maybe we should buy some nukes, and give everyone in the U.S. an espresso machine too. That would be a good way to spend it huh.
Well, we could buy 170,000 or so Peacekeepers with a couple million warheads yielding around 600 gigatons.
Sarevok
The Fearless One

Post by Sarevok »

Sea Skimmer wrote:
Dark Hellion wrote:Come on skimmer, we gotta make sure they are really really dead. Maybe we should buy some nukes, and give everyone in the U.S. an espresso machine too. That would be a good way to spend it huh.
Well, we could buy 170,000 or so Peacekeepers with a couple million warheads yielding around 600 gigatons.
I would leaving towards another star system if that happens.
The Duchess of Zeon
Gözde

Post by The Duchess of Zeon »

Ghost Rider wrote:A. They find about this NOW?!

Sorry after doing taxes for a few years...you literally see how this is a gold mine...*sigh*

B. I agree with Tysroc...I hope they forget about it in some form and fashion and not use it before it comes into reality.
They've probably known about it for a while, but certain people have been ignoring it as an excuse to argue against tax cuts, and others have avoided mentioning it until it could be firmly substantiated.
The threshold for inclusion in Wikipedia is verifiability, not truth. -- Wikipedia's No Original Research policy page.

In 1966 the Soviets find something on the dark side of the Moon. In 2104 they come back. -- Red Banner / White Star, a nBSG continuation story. Updated to Chapter 4.0 -- 14 January 2013.
Col. Crackpot
That Obnoxious Guy

Post by Col. Crackpot »

ohhhh shit. i can just imagine what congress will buy with 12 trillion fucking dollars. they'll most likely blow it all buying something dumb, like New Zealand or 5000 flying school busses.
"This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we’ll be lucky to live through it.” -Tom Clancy
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Col. Crackpot wrote:ohhhh shit. i can just imagine what congress will buy with 12 trillion fucking dollars. they'll most likely blow it all buying something dumb, like New Zealand or 5000 flying school busses.
:lol:

I can just see it now: Congress authorizes 12 trillion in spending that they don't have yet.
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
Col. Crackpot
That Obnoxious Guy

Post by Col. Crackpot »

Vympel wrote:I can just see it now: Congress authorizes 12 trillion in spending that they don't have yet.
wouldn't be the first time. :wink:
"This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we’ll be lucky to live through it.” -Tom Clancy