Is It Me? A Founding Fathers based rant.

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Gil Hamilton
Tipsy Space Birdie

Is It Me? A Founding Fathers based rant.

Post by Gil Hamilton »

<rant mode="on">

Something has been caught in my craw when it comes to American political discussions. I don't know why, but it's there and it annoys me more than when I forget to air the filling a Hot Pocket before I bite it. I've noticed for some time now that often times during political or legal discussions, people like to evoke the Founding Fathers in order to attempt to cow the people they are arguing with into submission. Such as stuff like "Well, the Founding Fathers never intended for this to happen, so we shouldn't go through with it!" or "The Founding Fathers always intended for this to be so, and we've strayed away from it!" or my favorite from Bill O'Reilly "Answer me this, isn't President Bush the closest thing to what the Founding Father's intended as a president?" during the debate over the "Under God" part about the Pledge of Allegiance. Now, I'm neither unpatriotic or irreverant to my countries founders, but who the hell cares?

Don't get me wrong, the Framers were a swinging bunch of guys (in some cases) and had alot of really progressive ideas... 200 years ago. Very many ideas of theirs are still very applicable to our society. Some not so. However the world is a vastly different place nowadays. It seems incredibly illogical that some people think that divining and interpreting the policies of people who lived in a whole different era and then throwing them around in discussions like the word of ultimate authority that automatically ends all discussion on the matter, and damn thinking for oneself. Why should it matter whether the Founding Fathers would have been for or against a half percent increase in the sales tax of luxury craft? What does the facts about the issue here and now say about it? Oh, wait, I forgot. Weighing the issue by it's modern day pros and cons is inferior to divining why John Adams might have thought about it.

Maybe I'm stupid. Maybe I'm a stinking liberal commie who shouldn't ought say such thing. But really, it seems like evoking the intent of the Founding Fathers on issues that have to deal with the hear and now is the kid brother of the "Good Old Days" fallacy. That's just my opinion, I could be wrong.

</rant>
"Show me an angel and I will paint you one." - Gustav Courbet

"Quetzalcoatl, plumed serpent of the Aztecs... you are a pussy." - Stephen Colbert

"Really, I'm jealous of how much smarter than me he is. I'm not an expert on anything and he's an expert on things he knows nothing about." - Me, concerning a bullshitter
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Post by Alyrium Denryle »

Answer me this, isn't President Bush the closest thing to what the Founding Father's intended as a president?" during the debate over the "Under God" part about the Pledge of Allegiance
Actually no. The founding fathers were, by and large humanists. The Major ones, would never want a president like Bush in power.
Maybe I'm stupid. Maybe I'm a stinking liberal commie who shouldn't ought say such thing.
Us "Skinking liberal commies" Need to stick together :D
GALE Force Biological Agent/
BOTM/Great Dolphin Conspiracy/
Entomology and Evolutionary Biology Subdirector:SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences

There is Grandeur in the View of Life; it fills me with a Deep Wonder, and Intense Cynicism.

Factio republicanum delenda est
Gil Hamilton
Tipsy Space Birdie

Post by Gil Hamilton »

Alyrium Denryle wrote:Actually no. The founding fathers were, by and large humanists. The Major ones, would never want a president like Bush in power.
Bill O'Reilly said it, not me.

"Quetzalcoatl, plumed serpent of the Aztecs... you are a pussy." - Stephen Colbert

"Really, I'm jealous of how much smarter than me he is. I'm not an expert on anything and he's an expert on things he knows nothing about." - Me, concerning a bullshitter
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Post by Alyrium Denryle »

I know...I was just pointing out the awfulness.
GALE Force Biological Agent/
BOTM/Great Dolphin Conspiracy/
Entomology and Evolutionary Biology Subdirector:SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences

There is Grandeur in the View of Life; it fills me with a Deep Wonder, and Intense Cynicism.

Factio republicanum delenda est
The Duchess of Zeon
Gözde

Post by The Duchess of Zeon »

The Founding Fathers designed how this country was supposed to be run, and so they shall always remain the highest authorities on its operation. Referring back to their writings and words is an important way of discovering insight into their intent for the nation.
The threshold for inclusion in Wikipedia is verifiability, not truth. -- Wikipedia's No Original Research policy page.

In 1966 the Soviets find something on the dark side of the Moon. In 2104 they come back. -- Red Banner / White Star, a nBSG continuation story. Updated to Chapter 4.0 -- 14 January 2013.
Gil Hamilton
Tipsy Space Birdie

Post by Gil Hamilton »

The Duchess of Zeon wrote:The Founding Fathers designed how this country was supposed to be run, and so they shall always remain the highest authorities on its operation. Referring back to their writings and words is an important way of discovering insight into their intent for the nation.
By that logic, you have no right to vote since you are a woman and the Founding Fathers never intended for you to be able to vote.

Things change and society changes. I don't see why trying to divine the intent of people that all died over 150 years ago should have any consideration on issues in the hear and now. The only decent way to weigh an issue is to compare it's positive effects on society against it's negative effect and who gets effected by what. Anything else is dogmatic, and dogma is useless baggage.

Tosho
Rabid Monkey

Post by Tosho »

The Duchess of Zeon wrote:The Founding Fathers designed how this country was supposed to be run, and so they shall always remain the highest authorities on its operation. Referring back to their writings and words is an important way of discovering insight into their intent for the nation.
True, but unless I am mistaken Gil's point was things have changed and although the founding fathers are important in a modern society the opinions of men who been dead for two centuries shouldn't be treated as omniscient.
Sun Sep 07, 2003 3:45 pm 666th post.
The Duchess of Zeon
Gözde

Gil Hamilton wrote: By that logic, you have no right to vote since you are a woman and the Founding Fathers never intended for you to be able to vote.

Things change and society changes. I don't see why trying to divine the intent of people that all died over 150 years ago should have any consideration on issues in the hear and now. The only decent way to weigh an issue is to compare it's positive effects on society against it's negative effect and who gets effected by what. Anything else is dogmatic, and dogma is useless baggage.
Yes, society does change--that's the entire point. The Constitution was created with an amendment process, after all. That's why women can vote now. The Framers were not stupid, but rather realized that situations could change.

Basic principles, however, will remain the same. Things are just going to shift around them. Women, indeed, can vote now--but we're also going out into the world and taking on many of the roles that in the 18th century would be unimaginable for women of that era. We can vote precisely because have influence in society.

So the document the Framers created was one designed around those core fundamentals--but able to respond as the details shifted. The people who have power in society determined the outlook of the government in the 18th century; they still do now, except now they also include women, precisely because we have gained power in society.

That's the elegance and genius of the American Constitution.
The threshold for inclusion in Wikipedia is verifiability, not truth. -- Wikipedia's No Original Research policy page.

In 1966 the Soviets find something on the dark side of the Moon. In 2104 they come back. -- Red Banner / White Star, a nBSG continuation story. Updated to Chapter 4.0 -- 14 January 2013.
Ted C
Sith Marauder

Re: Is It Me? A Founding Fathers based rant.

Post by Ted C »

Gil Hamilton wrote:It seems incredibly illogical that some people think that divining and interpreting the policies of people who lived in a whole different era and then throwing them around in discussions like the word of ultimate authority that automatically ends all discussion on the matter, and damn thinking for oneself. Why should it matter whether the Founding Fathers would have been for or against a half percent increase in the sales tax of luxury craft? What does the facts about the issue here and now say about it?

But really, it seems like evoking the intent of the Founding Fathers on issues that have to deal with the hear and now is the kid brother of the "Good Old Days" fallacy.
I don't think that knowing the Founding Fathers' intent should "end all discussion" on a matter, but I do think it's important to understand why they chose to set up our government in a particular way. Only if we know why they did it a particular way in the first place can we really determine whether their reasoning still applies now.
"This is supposed to be a happy occasion... Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who."
-- The King of Swamp Castle, Monty Python and the Holy Grail

"Nothing of consequence happened today. " -- Diary of King George III, July 4, 1776

"This is not bad; this is a conspiracy to remove happiness from existence. It seeks to wrap its hedgehog hand around the still beating heart of the personification of good and squeeze until it is stilled."
-- Chuck Sonnenburg on Voyager's "Elogium"
Gil Hamilton
Tipsy Space Birdie

Post by Gil Hamilton »

Ted C wrote:I don't think that knowing the Founding Fathers' intent should "end all discussion" on a matter, but I do think it's important to understand why they chose to set up our government in a particular way. Only if we know why they did it a particular way in the first place can we really determine whether their reasoning still applies now.
But using "Framer intent" as an argument is dogma. Why should an issue be argued by anything other than it's pros and cons in the here and now, plus what it's possible long term effects are?

Gil Hamilton
Tipsy Space Birdie

Post by Gil Hamilton »

The Duchess of Zeon wrote: Yes, society does change--that's the entire point. The Constitution was created with an amendment process, after all. That's why women can vote now. The Framers were not stupid, but rather realized that situations could change.
Yes, it is the point. Things change and that's one of the smart things about hte Constitution, that is is changable and editable, exactly because the Framers themselves never thought themselves to be infalliable or omniscient. They never thought that things wouldn't change in the future and their intent would never be replaced by more modern ideas based upon how society itself changes.

But you are now contradicting yourself. More on that in a second.
Basic principles, however, will remain the same. Things are just going to shift around them. Women, indeed, can vote now--but we're also going out into the world and taking on many of the roles that in the 18th century would be unimaginable for women of that era. We can vote precisely because have influence in society.
Here is where you are contradicting yourself. Now you are talking about how things shifting around, but that shifting around, in this case, women being allowed to vote. But before you said "The Founding Fathers designed how this country was supposed to be run, and so they shall always remain the highest authorities on its operation." If they are the highest authority on how it should be run, it actively goes against that authority to change things. In this case, the Founding Fathers never thought women should vote, in fact, most of them would have thought it this idea is incredibly silly. If they are the ultimate authority, as you directly stated before, then any change made goes against their will.
So the document the Framers created was one designed around those core fundamentals--but able to respond as the details shifted. The people who have power in society determined the outlook of the government in the 18th century; they still do now, except now they also include women, precisely because we have gained power in society.
Except that this shifting of details to fit the hear and now is impossible if we live by your dogma that the Founding Fathers are the highest authority on any issue. If they are the ultimate authority, then you shouldn't be able to vote, since they never intended for you to.
That's the elegance and genius of the American Constitution.
A genius you have no respect for, what with your "highest authority" nonsense.

Ted C
Sith Marauder

Post by Ted C »

Gil Hamilton wrote:But using "Framer intent" as an argument is dogma. Why should an issue be argued by anything other than it's pros and cons in the here and now, plus what it's possible long term effects are?
Because we're using history as a guide, that's why.

Pick an issue like "Separation of Church and State". What did the writers of the US Constitution and Bill of Rights intend to achieve with the Establishment Clause? Is that still a worthy goal today? If so, how is current government policy affecting that goal? Are there past precedents for how various laws in various places have affected that goal?

If you don't look back at where you've been, can you be sure where you're going? Can you tell if you've made any progress?
"This is supposed to be a happy occasion... Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who."
-- The King of Swamp Castle, Monty Python and the Holy Grail

"Nothing of consequence happened today. " -- Diary of King George III, July 4, 1776

"This is not bad; this is a conspiracy to remove happiness from existence. It seeks to wrap its hedgehog hand around the still beating heart of the personification of good and squeeze until it is stilled."
-- Chuck Sonnenburg on Voyager's "Elogium"
Andrew J.
Sith Marauder

Post by Andrew J. »

They were progressive and important during the 1700s, but the ideas of the Founding Fathers have become either obvious (freedom of speech, seperation of church and state, balance of power) or outdated (voting restrictions, slavery, the electoral college).
Don't hate; appreciate!

RIP Eddie.
Enforcer Talen
Warlock

Post by Enforcer Talen »

some think the electoral college should remain.
This day is Fantastic!
Myers Briggs: ENTJ
Political Compass: -3/-6
DOOMer WoW
"I really hate it when the guy you were pegging as Mr. Worst Case starts saying, "Oh, I was wrong, it's going to be much worse." " - Adrian Laguna
Joe
Space Cowboy

Post by Joe »

(voting restrictions, slavery, the electoral college).
The only real restriction on voting contained within the Constitution is the state appointment of Senators. The Constitution leaves voting primarily up to the states.

As for slavery, you can be sure that most of the major Founding Fathers didn't want the institution to continue to exist within America. Thomas Jefferson, for example, considered slaves to be human beings (as indicated by the earliest draft of the Declaration of Independence), and surely wouldn't have chosen to say "all men are created equal" if he hadn't intended for it to eventually be applied to Negro slaves. He had to have anticipated that this language could eventually be applied to slaves.

As for the EC, well, this has already been debated at great length in a few different threads.

BoTM / JL / MM / HAB / VRWC / Horseman

I'm studying for the CPA exam. Have a nice summer, and if you're down just sit back and realize that Joe is off somewhere, doing much worse than you are.
Gil Hamilton
Tipsy Space Birdie

Post by Gil Hamilton »

Durran Korr wrote:As for slavery, you can be sure that most of the major Founding Fathers didn't want the institution to continue to exist within America. Thomas Jefferson, for example, considered slaves to be human beings (as indicated by the earliest draft of the Declaration of Independence), and surely wouldn't have chosen to say "all men are created equal" if he hadn't intended for it to eventually be applied to Negro slaves. He had to have anticipated that this language could eventually be applied to slaves.
Um, Thomas Jefferson owned quite a few slaves. If he considered them equal men, would he have kept them?

Joe
Space Cowboy

Post by Joe »

He was flawed. Inconsistent. Imperfect. Not to mention poorly-off financially.

His writings, both private and public, seem to indicate that he wanted slavery to vanish within a number of years.

BoTM / JL / MM / HAB / VRWC / Horseman

I'm studying for the CPA exam. Have a nice summer, and if you're down just sit back and realize that Joe is off somewhere, doing much worse than you are.
UltraViolence83
Jedi Master

Post by UltraViolence83 »

"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen." --Samuel Adams

It's quotes like that that honestly bring a tear to my eye. The founding fathers were Gods among men.

Don't knock T.J., he's my favorite one, dammit! :wink:

Old Ben Franklin also kicked a little ass what with his lightning key and all.
...This would sharpen you up and make you ready for a bit of the old...ultraviolence.
The Duchess of Zeon
Gözde

Durran Korr wrote:He was flawed. Inconsistent. Imperfect. Not to mention poorly-off financially.

His writings, both private and public, seem to indicate that he wanted slavery to vanish within a number of years.
Not to mention that Benjamin Franklin quite clearly indicated that he wanted slavery to end--in the most vigorous terms.

The Duchess of Zeon
Gözde

Gil Hamilton wrote: Here is where you are contradicting yourself. Now you are talking about how things shifting around, but that shifting around, in this case, women being allowed to vote. But before you said "The Founding Fathers designed how this country was supposed to be run, and so they shall always remain the highest authorities on its operation." If they are the highest authority on how it should be run, it actively goes against that authority to change things. In this case, the Founding Fathers never thought women should vote, in fact, most of them would have thought it this idea is incredibly silly. If they are the ultimate authority, as you directly stated before, then any change made goes against their will.
No - They designed how it was supposed to run - not the conditions under which it was to operate. Those were impossible for them to have any bearing on, and, furthermore, they knew it.
Except that this shifting of details to fit the hear and now is impossible if we live by your dogma that the Founding Fathers are the highest authority on any issue. If they are the ultimate authority, then you shouldn't be able to vote, since they never intended for you to.
Again, see above. They are not the highest authorities on American society, Gil--they're the highest authorities on American government. Which, it is quite clear, must be responsive to American society. That doesn't change the basic institutions of the government, however.

Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

If you Americans would just have a Communist Revolution you could make your constitution whatever you wanted, then you could live in a workers paradise. Everyone wins.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Andrew J.
Sith Marauder

Post by Andrew J. »

Durran Korr wrote:
(voting restrictions, slavery, the electoral college).
The only real restriction on voting contained within the Constitution is the state appointment of Senators. The Constitution leaves voting primarily up to the states.
Wasn't there something in the Constitution about having to own a certain amount of property, too?
Don't hate; appreciate!

RIP Eddie.
UltraViolence83
Jedi Master

Post by UltraViolence83 »

I used to be against electoral college, but now I've seen how many Americans don't even know the basics of government so maybe it is for the better...Back in 2001 a friend fucking asked me who the President was 6 months after the election. These people don't deserve to vote; luckily they don't.
...This would sharpen you up and make you ready for a bit of the old...ultraviolence.