It has begun.

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

The Duchess of Zeon
Gözde

It has begun.

Post by The Duchess of Zeon »

Suppression of the Iranian dissent has commenced.

So, will the clerics succeed in holding power autocratically for the time-being, or is this going to provoke an even greater response from the Iranian people?
The threshold for inclusion in Wikipedia is verifiability, not truth. -- Wikipedia's No Original Research policy page.

In 1966 the Soviets find something on the dark side of the Moon. In 2104 they come back. -- Red Banner / White Star, a nBSG continuation story. Updated to Chapter 4.0 -- 14 January 2013.
Enforcer Talen
Warlock

Post by Enforcer Talen »

depends on how far they are pushed.
This day is Fantastic!
Myers Briggs: ENTJ
Political Compass: -3/-6
DOOMer WoW
"I really hate it when the guy you were pegging as Mr. Worst Case starts saying, "Oh, I was wrong, it's going to be much worse." " - Adrian Laguna
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

It depends, I haven't clicked the link yet, but I am assuming that it is vigilanty hardliner supporters and not the Police/Military. Either way though, Iran looks like a powdercake at the moment.

In the long run, the Ayatollahs can't win. With 70% of the population under 30 years of age, their troubles will only get worse if they play their cards too heavy handed...

Honestly though, predicting these things is like picking the winning lottery number. I just don't know.
Η ζωή, η ζωή εδω τελειώνει!
"Science is one cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on" - Masuka 'Dexter'
"Angela is not the woman you think she is Gabriel, she's done terrible things"
"So have I, and I'm going to do them all to you." - Sylar to Arthur 'Heroes'
The Duchess of Zeon
Gözde

To quote, for the lazy:
Militia attack Tehran protesters

It was the fourth night of protests
Security forces and hardline supporters of Iran's conservative leadership have clashed with large crowds in the capital Tehran who were protesting against clerical rule.
Tear gas, clubs, and iron bars were used to disperse the protesters.

Hardline vigilantes were seen pulling people from cars and beating them. Gunfire was also heard.

Saturday morning's demonstrations were the fourth consecutive night of protests about the slow pace of reform in the country.

The Iranian supreme leader, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, had warned demonstrators they would be shown no pity if they continued their protests.
The threshold for inclusion in Wikipedia is verifiability, not truth. -- Wikipedia's No Original Research policy page.

In 1966 the Soviets find something on the dark side of the Moon. In 2104 they come back. -- Red Banner / White Star, a nBSG continuation story. Updated to Chapter 4.0 -- 14 January 2013.
Enforcer Talen
Warlock

Post by Enforcer Talen »

I put it at 3:1 the current regime survives a year.
This day is Fantastic!
DOOMer WoW
"I really hate it when the guy you were pegging as Mr. Worst Case starts saying, "Oh, I was wrong, it's going to be much worse." " - Adrian Laguna
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

I expect this will be swiftly crushed and nothing more will come of it, at least for a few more years until the collages have all new classes. Last I heard these protests had only had around a thousand people in them, and I cant see that escalating into the tens and hundreds of thousands needed to collapse the regime.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
The Duchess of Zeon
Gözde

Sea Skimmer wrote:I expect this will be swiftly crushed and nothing more will come of it, at least for a few more years until the collages have all new classes. Last I heard these protests had only had around a thousand people in them, and I cant see that escalating into the tens and hundreds of thousands needed to collapse the regime.
I'm thinking more of the 9 July anniversary of the suppression of the students in 1999. If this crackdown is not thorough, swift, and violent, and results in the government establishing itself as very firmly in control of the situation, I suspect that on 9 July we're going to see something interesting, or at least something that could become interesting.

MKSheppard
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger

Post by MKSheppard »

Special forces storm students dorms wounding tens of students SMCCDI (Information Service) June 13, 2003

The Islamic republic's elite forces stormed late this evening the Chamran and Kashan student dorms by firing bullets and tear gas into the building and beating anyone on their way.

Tens of students are injured and arrested as they opposed an inequal resistance by chanting the "Oh Iran" banned anthem and shouting "Freedom, Freedom".

Their voices were estinguished with the regime's forces clubs and chains.

Most doors are broken and windows and materials are destroyed by savage plainclothes men insulting in arabic.

These are the Palestinian, Iraqi and Lebanese mercenaries of the regime known for their crualty.
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
GrandMasterTerwynn
Emperor's Hand

Post by GrandMasterTerwynn »

Enforcer Talen wrote:I put it at 3:1 the current regime survives a year.
I say the odds favor the Ayatollah for the moment. Apart from the studends and some fundie nuts, the populace of Iran is gripped with a strong apathy towards politics. Reform takes place very slowly because the typical Iranian just doesn't care.
Howedar
Emperor's Thumb

Post by Howedar »

Things will die down, and in a month or two it will just start up again.
Howedar is no longer here. Need to talk to him? Talk to Pick.
Gil Hamilton
Tipsy Space Birdie

Post by Gil Hamilton »

As I said on SB.com, I think that this will add to the dissatisfaction against the government, but not in itself lead to revolution against the Ayatollah.
"Show me an angel and I will paint you one." - Gustav Courbet

"Quetzalcoatl, plumed serpent of the Aztecs... you are a pussy." - Stephen Colbert

"Really, I'm jealous of how much smarter than me he is. I'm not an expert on anything and he's an expert on things he knows nothing about." - Me, concerning a bullshitter
Setzer
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Setzer »

The Iranians use mercs? Idiots. Remember The Prince, and the book's warnings against mercenaries. If someone can show me an online text, I'll repost it here.
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

Its 1978 all over again, and this time the US is going to back the winning team.
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
HemlockGrey
Fucking Awesome

Post by HemlockGrey »

I don't possibly see what the US has to gain by backing the Ayatollah, and I doubt the seeds of revolution have been planted firmly enough for the Supersecret American Intelligence Community to back the reformists.
The End of Suburbia
"If more cars are inevitable, must there not be roads for them to run on?"
-Robert Moses

"The Wire" is the best show in the history of television. Watch it today.
Enforcer Talen
Warlock

Post by Enforcer Talen »

Setzer wrote:The Iranians use mercs? Idiots. Remember The Prince, and the book's warnings against mercenaries. If someone can show me an online text, I'll repost it here.
mercenary takeover?
This day is Fantastic!
DOOMer WoW
UltraViolence83
Jedi Master

Post by UltraViolence83 »

GrandMasterTerwynn wrote:I say the odds favor the Ayatollah for the moment. Apart from the studends and some fundie nuts, the populace of Iran is gripped with a strong apathy towards politics. Reform takes place very slowly because the typical Iranian just doesn't care.
Sounds like a political census of the general American population. If we keep not giving a shit, the fundies and/or goosesteppers will eventually take over this fine nation. And there is no WAY I'm ever going to pay respect to Ashcroft and his fellow insane nuts.
...This would sharpen you up and make you ready for a bit of the old...ultraviolence.
Enforcer Talen
Warlock

Post by Enforcer Talen »

thats what I was thinking.
This day is Fantastic!
DOOMer WoW
Howedar
Emperor's Thumb

Post by Howedar »

Setzer wrote:The Iranians use mercs? Idiots. Remember The Prince, and the book's warnings against mercenaries. If someone can show me an online text, I'll repost it here.
They have to: their own people won't do their bidding.
Howedar is no longer here. Need to talk to him? Talk to Pick.