DragonBall Z Creator Dies.

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

DragonBall Z Creator Dies.

Post by LadyTevar »

Dragon Ball Manga Creator Toriyama Dies
The creator of Dragon Ball, one of the most influential and best-selling Japanese comics of all time, has died at 68.

Akira Toriyama suffered an acute subdural hematoma, a type of bleeding near the brain, his studio said Friday.

Dragon Ball is hugely popular around the world and the comic series has also spawned cartoon and film versions.

Fans have paid tribute to Mr Toriyama for creating characters that have become a part of their childhood.

Mr Toriyama had uncompleted works at the time of his death.

He died on 1 March and only his family and very few friends attended his funeral, according to a statement from the Dragon Ball website.
Dragonball. DragonQuest and ChronoTrigger Sprite Artist. His vision and artistry was unique, playful, and fun.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Tribble
Sith Devotee

Re: DragonBall Z Creator Dies.

Post by Tribble »

LadyTevar wrote: 2024-03-08 09:53am Dragon Ball Manga Creator Toriyama Dies
The creator of Dragon Ball, one of the most influential and best-selling Japanese comics of all time, has died at 68.

Akira Toriyama suffered an acute subdural hematoma, a type of bleeding near the brain, his studio said Friday.

Dragon Ball is hugely popular around the world and the comic series has also spawned cartoon and film versions.

Fans have paid tribute to Mr Toriyama for creating characters that have become a part of their childhood.

Mr Toriyama had uncompleted works at the time of his death.

He died on 1 March and only his family and very few friends attended his funeral, according to a statement from the Dragon Ball website.
Dragonball. DragonQuest and ChronoTrigger Sprite Artist. His vision and artistry was unique, playful, and fun.
Very sad to hear that, he was still working on a lot of projects! May he rest in piece in Other World!

It’s hard to overstate just how important Toriyama’s work was in making anime mainstream in the west!

Sailor moon (and its hilariously awful Dic dub) was fun, Gundam Wing was cool, Pokemon was addictive… but DBZ was on a whole other level hype wise (even if it took 10 minutes for the characters to do anything)!

It’s kinda hard to appreciate game changing it was, there were SO many epic and WTF scenes when compared western cartoons at the time, even after being censored. Compare Spider-Man TAS (good show btw), where the characters literally weren’t allowed to hit each other with punches, to the beginning of DBZ, where the main character saves the world by killing his evil brother and himself via getting his rival to blow a hole through his chest! And it just got more insane and epic from there, while still managing to be playful and funny!

Edit: and let’s be honest, everyone who watched the show pretended to fire a kamehameha and go super Saiyan :P

Toriyama’s other works, like Dr Slump and Dragon Questb are really good too!
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - The official Troll motto, as stated by Adam Savage
3-Body Problem
Youngling

Re: DragonBall Z Creator Dies.

Post by 3-Body Problem »

May he enjoy the rest that far to many mangaka don't get any other way.