UK and US forces launch 'targeted strikes' against Houthi rebel targets in Yemen

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

UK and US forces launch 'targeted strikes' against Houthi rebel targets in Yemen

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

At least five people died and six have been injured after the US and UK launched airstrikes on Houthi rebel targets in Yemen, a spokesman for the group said.

It comes after a series of attacks by the Iran-backed force against commercial shipping in the Red Sea, which have caused issues to global trade.

In a huge retaliatory strike, British and American militaries bombed more than a dozen targets in Houthi-controlled areas of Yemen from fighter jets and Tomahawk missiles on Thursday night, Prime Minister Rishi Sunak and President Joe Biden confirmed.

“The American and British enemy bears full responsibility for its criminal aggression against our Yemeni people, and it will not go unanswered and unpunished,” Houthi spokesman Brig. General Yahya Sarees said in a video address.

He described 73 strikes hitting five regions of Yemen under Houthi control, but he did not elaborate on what the strikes targeted.

But it remains unclear how extensive the damage from the strikes was. The UK said its strikes hit a site in Bani, allegedly used by the Houthis to launch drones, and an airfield in Abbs used to launch cruise missiles and drones.

It marks the first time strikes have been launched against the Shia militant group - which is allied to Tehran, as are Hamas and Hezbollah - since it started targeting international shipping in the Red Sea late last year.

Mr Sunak confirmed the Royal Air Force had carried out “targeted strikes”, saying the UK will “always stand up for freedom of navigation and the free flow of trade”.

He and Mr Biden said they had acted together with the "non-operational support" of Australia, Bahrain, Canada, and the Netherlands "to degrade Houthi military capabilities and protect global shipping.”

Denmark, Germany, New Zealand and South Korea also added their names to the six nations that took part in the joint strikes.

The Ministry of Defence (MoD) said coalition forces identified key facilities involved in Houthi targeting of HMS Diamond and US Navy vessels on Tuesday “and agreed to conduct a carefully coordinated strike to reduce the Houthis’ capability to violate international law in this manner”.

The prime minister said: “In recent months, the Houthi militia have carried out a series of dangerous and destabilising attacks against commercial shipping in the Red Sea, threatening UK and other international ships, causing major disruption to a vital trade route and driving up commodity prices.

“Their reckless actions are risking lives at sea and exacerbating the humanitarian crisis in Yemen."

He said the Royal Navy continues to patrol the Red Sea to deter further Houthi aggression, and urge rebels to stop their attacks and de-escalate.”

Defence Secretary Grant Shapps said in a post on X, formerly Twitter: "This action was not only necessary, it was our duty to protect vessels and freedom of navigation".

President Biden said the strikes were a direct response to "unprecedented" Houthi attacks "including the use of anti-ship ballistic missiles for the first time in history".

He warned the strikes are a "clear message" that America and its allies "will not tolerate attacks on our personnel or allow hostile actors to imperil freedom of navigation," adding that more than 50 nations have been affected in 27 Houthi rebel attacks on international commercial shipping.

"Crews from more than 20 countries have been threatened or taken hostage in acts of piracy," he continued.

“More than 2,000 ships have been forced to divert thousands of miles to avoid the Red Sea - which can cause weeks of delays in product shipping times.

"I will not hesitate to direct further measures to protect our people."

The military targets included logistical hubs, air defence systems and weapons storage locations, US officials said.

A senior US official told ITV News and other media outlets immediately following the strikes that the Houthis "with Iranian support" have targeted over 20 missiles and ballistic missiles crossed the Red Sea.

"At least three ships have been hit, and we've been, we've had extremely close calls, such as a ship, as I had mentioned, carrying US owned jet fuel that the Houthis targeted last month", the US official added.

“The Houthis claim that there are attacks on military and civilian vessels are somehow tied to the ongoing conflict in Gaza that is completely baseless and illegitimate.

Four RAF Typhoons launched from RAF Akrotiri to conduct strikes against military targets in Yemen, said the Ministry of Defence.

"[They] also planned to be targeting specifically Israeli-owned, ships or ships bound for Israel. That is simply not true. They are firing indiscriminately on vessels with global ties.

"Most of the ships that have come under attack have nothing whatsoever to do with Israel, and even if they were that, even if that were not the case, it is no justification for these illegal attacks in international waterways."

The UK and US had previously warned further action would be taken if attacks persist, amid growing global concern about the disruption in the Red Sea.

When asked what would happen if the strikes do not deter the attacks, Rishi Sunak, who is on a visit to Ukraine, told reporters: “We’ve carried out a series of strikes together with allies, which will we believe degrade and disrupt the capability.

“The types of things that we’ve targeted are launch sites for missiles and for drones. Initial indications are that those strikes have been successful. We’ll continue to monitor the situation.

Rishi Sunak responds as he is asked "what happens if the airstrikes don't work?"

“But it’s clear that this type of behaviour can’t be met without a response. We need to send a strong signal that this breach of international law is wrong. People can’t act like this with impunity and that’s why together with allies we’ve decided to take this action.”

It comes after Mr Sunak called an emergency meeting with his Cabinet earlier on Thursday night to prepare action against the rebels after they fired an anti-ship ballistic missile into the Gulf of Aden on Thursday.

Ministers discussed a response to disruption on the key global shipping route after UK and US naval forces repelled what is believed to have been the largest assault yet by the Iran-backed group on Tuesday.

Naval assets from the UK and United States on Tuesday destroyed "multiple attack drones", two cruise missiles and an anti-ship missile deployed by Houthi rebels. A Royal Naval air destroyer - HMS Diamond - helped to repel the attack.

Have you heard our new podcast Talking Politics? Every week Tom, Robert and Anushka dig into the biggest issues dominating the political agenda…

In an unusual move, the government briefed Sir Keir Starmer and shadow defence secretary John Healey after the Cabinet call on Thursday. Commons Speaker Sir Lindsay Hoyle also visited the Cabinet Office late in the evening.

Commons Speaker Sir Lindsay Hoyle has said he is “happy to facilitate” a recall of Parliament “at any time” amid calls for greater consultation of MPs on the British military action but Mr Sunak has said he will not be making a statement until Monday.

Labour is “fully supportive” of the action needed to respond to attacks by Houthi rebels and it is “for the government” to make a statement to Parliament about the intervention, Sir Keir Starmer said.

The Liberal Democrats have called for a retrospective vote on the military action in the Red Sea and called for MPs to be recalled to Parliament.

The party’s foreign affairs spokesperson Layla Moran said: “Parliament should not be bypassed.

“We remain very concerned about the Houthis’ attacks. But that makes it all the more important to ensure that MPs are not silenced on the important issue of military action.”

Mr Sunak appeared to play down concerns over this during his visit meet President Zelenskyy in Kyiv.

He said: “Every case is different. What we have done here is take limited and necessary action in response to a specific threat in self defence.

"And if you look at similar situations in 2015 and 2018 a statement was made to Parliament after the action and that’s what I will be doing on Monday. I’ll be making a full statement in Parliament and taking questions.”

The Houthi rebels, who have carried out 27 attacks involving dozens of drones and missiles since November 19, said on Thursday that any attack by American forces on its sites in Yemen will spark a fierce military response.

“The response to any American attack will not only be at the level of the operation that was recently carried out with more than 24 drones and several missiles,” said Abdel Malek al-Houthi, the group’s supreme leader, during an hour-long speech.

“It will be greater than that,” he added.
While it is related to the clusterfuck that is Gaza, I figured this warranted a separate thread in its own right.
PainRack
Emperor's Hand

Re: UK and US forces launch 'targeted strikes' against Houthi rebel targets in Yemen

Post by PainRack »

Eh. It stopped being an Israel blockade since Houthi began indiscriminately targeting ships like the Saudi to India oil tanker or the Singapore Flagged ship.

The only real interest is if Biden should had sought Congress approval before going to war.

That and how staggeringly expensive the defence shield became against the enemy sword.
Let him land on any Lyran world to taste firsthand the wrath of peace loving people thwarted by the myopic greed of a few miserly old farts- Katrina Steiner
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Re: UK and US forces launch 'targeted strikes' against Houthi rebel targets in Yemen

Post by LadyTevar »

Well... I think the Houthi's just ended the debate.
Vessel hit by missile was US-owned cargo ship - UK security firm
British maritime security firm Ambrey says the vessel struck by a missile off the south coast of Yemen was a US-owned cargo ship.

According to Ambrey, the attack "targeted US interests in response to US military strikes on Houthi military positions in Yemen".

Ambrey reports that a fire broke out on board the Marshall Islands-flagged, US-owned bulk carrier, but it remains seaworthy and there were no injuries.
It says the vessel was "assessed to not be Israel-affiliated".

The United Kingdom Maritime Trade Operations security agency said earlier that the master of a vessel reported that it had been "hit from above by a missile" near Yemen's southern port city of Aden.
US-owned cargo ship was hit by Houthi missile - Centcom
The US-owned M/V Gibraltar Eagle has been identified as the ship hit by a ballistic missile which was fired by the Houthis, according to United States military command for the Middle East (Centcom).

In a post on X, formerly known as Twitter, Centcom says that the vessel "has reported no injuries or significant damage and is continuing its journey".

Earlier, maritime security agency Ambrey had confirmed that the missile was one of three fired by the Houthis. The other two did not reach the sea.
Houthi official says it will expand targets to include US ships
An official from the Iran-backed Houthi rebel group tells Al Jazeera news network it will expand its targets to include US ships.
"The ship doesn't necessarily have to be heading to Israel for us to target it; it is enough for it to be American," says Nasruldeen Amer, a spokesperson for the Houthis.
"The United States is on the verge of losing its maritime security," he adds.

Amer also says British and American ships had become "legitimate targets" due to the strikes launched by the two countries on Houthi targets in Yemen last week.

The Houthis have said they are attacking ships affiliated with Israel in protest at the conflict in Gaza, however commercial vessels with no connection to the country also appear to have been targeted.
Anyone who was bitching about Biden 'not asking permission' is gonna now be the first yelling "PROTECT US SHIPS!!!"
Because it was only a problem when it wasn't OUR ships, right? :roll:
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

An official from the Iran-backed Houthi rebel group tells Al Jazeera news network it will expand its targets to include US ships.
"The ship doesn't necessarily have to be heading to Israel for us to target it; it is enough for it to be American," says Nasruldeen Amer, a spokesperson for the Houthis.
I'm not sure the Houthis truly comprehend the size and power of the US military, Naval or otherwise.

I'm also wondering if they're going to wind up in the "play stupid games, win stupid prizes" category.

Also wondering if this will be another case of the US tolerating attacks, even lethal ones, because they aren't actually occurring on US soil.

If the US did decide to bring the full force onto them it would be a curb-stomp. But the US doesn't always bring their biggest guns to the party.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Oh, and it gets more interesting.

Bombing near US Embassy in Iraq -- Iran Claims Responsibility
Several explosions were reported near the U.S. Consulate in Erbil, Iraq, an Iraqi security source told ABC News.

The Iranian Revolutionary Guard Corps quickly took responsibility for the attacks, saying it was targeting the "headquarters of spies" and "anti-Iranian terrorist gatherings in parts of the region" with ballistic missiles.

Four people were killed, and six were injured in the attack, the Kurdistan Regional Security Council said.

There were no coalition forces or American forces killed in the bombing of Erbil, the Iraqi security source told ABC News.

"No US facilities were impacted. We're not tracking damage to infrastructure or injuries at this time," a U.S. official told ABC News.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

As long as it doesn't come down to American boots on the ground, which might be what the Houthis are hoping for.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

So, Iran might be getting in on the beating down of Houthi as well?!?
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Post by LaCroix »

Kind of a "wholesale-going out of business" moment.

The west has been supporting Ukraine for a long time, and then Israel.

Iran is correct in their assessment that if there is ever a moment when the Us military is streched, it is now.
So it makes kind of sense to do this now, where the US might not retalialte, or at least not fully.
Kind of poking a bear who is trying to stare doewn a pack of dogs, hoping he doesn't think you are worth it.

Maybe they hope that Russia/China might help if they can prove the US forces to be lacking.

Which is kinda stupid given that the rather meagre forces stationed there (+1 british ship) managed to destroy like 25% of the Houthi attack capabilities in a single day of strikes. Maybe they hope they expended all their ammo and will take days to resupply. Who knows...

I do believe all they are getting out of this is gonna be made an example...
A minute's thought suggests that the very idea of this is stupid. A more detailed examination raises the possibility that it might be an answer to the question "how could the Germans win the war after the US gets involved?" - Captain Seafort, in a thread proposing a 1942 'D-Day' in Quiberon Bay

I do archery skeet. With a Trebuchet.
His Divine Shadow
Commence Primary Ignition

Post by His Divine Shadow »

Can't really blame the houthis for doing this. Western support and contribution to the atrocities in Yemen have been ongoing for a long time, they have a right to strike back at us for that alone regardless of how weak they are. Our support of Israel also deserves punishment.
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who did not.
PainRack
Emperor's Hand

Post by PainRack »

LadyTevar wrote: 2024-01-15 01:58pm Well... I think the Houthi's just ended the debate.
Vessel hit by missile was US-owned cargo ship - UK security firm
British maritime security firm Ambrey says the vessel struck by a missile off the south coast of Yemen was a US-owned cargo ship.

According to Ambrey, the attack "targeted US interests in response to US military strikes on Houthi military positions in Yemen".

Ambrey reports that a fire broke out on board the Marshall Islands-flagged, US-owned bulk carrier, but it remains seaworthy and there were no injuries.
It says the vessel was "assessed to not be Israel-affiliated".

The United Kingdom Maritime Trade Operations security agency said earlier that the master of a vessel reported that it had been "hit from above by a missile" near Yemen's southern port city of Aden.
US-owned cargo ship was hit by Houthi missile - Centcom
The US-owned M/V Gibraltar Eagle has been identified as the ship hit by a ballistic missile which was fired by the Houthis, according to United States military command for the Middle East (Centcom).

In a post on X, formerly known as Twitter, Centcom says that the vessel "has reported no injuries or significant damage and is continuing its journey".

Earlier, maritime security agency Ambrey had confirmed that the missile was one of three fired by the Houthis. The other two did not reach the sea.

Amer also says British and American ships had become "legitimate targets" due to the strikes launched by the two countries on Houthi targets in Yemen last week.

The Houthis have said they are attacking ships affiliated with Israel in protest at the conflict in Gaza, however commercial vessels with no connection to the country also appear to have been targeted.
Anyone who was bitching about Biden 'not asking permission' is gonna now be the first yelling "PROTECT US SHIPS!!!"
Because it was only a problem when it wasn't OUR ships, right? :roll:
To be fair. In a working Congress, Biden should had sought their permission and gotten a swift reply...

This along with the defence secretary hospitalisation without informing the Cabinet is a negative against Biden.

It's just not significant however given that Congress can't even fund the US government.....
Let him land on any Lyran world to taste firsthand the wrath of peace loving people thwarted by the myopic greed of a few miserly old farts- Katrina Steiner
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

PainRack wrote: 2024-01-16 04:56am
This along with the defence secretary hospitalisation without informing the Cabinet is a negative against Biden.

It's just not significant however given that Congress can't even fund the US government.....
THAT was the DOD themselves not telling ANYONE, including Biden, about the hospitalization. NOT BIDEN'S FAULT, no matter who's trying to pin it on him.

Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

His Divine Shadow wrote: 2024-01-16 04:48am Can't really blame the houthis for doing this. Western support and contribution to the atrocities in Yemen have been ongoing for a long time, they have a right to strike back at us for that alone regardless of how weak they are. Our support of Israel also deserves punishment.
The Houthis are no saints, they've done their share of atrocities. Like everyone else in the Middle East these days they're bad actors.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

LadyTevar wrote: 2024-01-16 10:14amTHAT was the DOD themselves not telling ANYONE, including Biden, about the hospitalization. NOT BIDEN'S FAULT, no matter who's trying to pin it on him.
I disagree. Biden appointed Austin, so it's on Biden if Austin does unprofessional thing.

Between strikes based on presidential whims and godawful secretary behaviour, Biden has big Bush II energy.
His Divine Shadow wrote: 2024-01-16 04:48am Can't really blame the houthis for doing this. Western support and contribution to the atrocities in Yemen have been ongoing for a long time, they have a right to strike back at us for that alone regardless of how weak they are. Our support of Israel also deserves punishment.
It's interesting that so much US foreign policy is based on the idea that foreigners must just sit and accept things, but the US always has a right to retaliate.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Broomstick wrote: 2024-01-15 06:42pm I'm not sure the Houthis truly comprehend the size and power of the US military, Naval or otherwise.

I'm also wondering if they're going to wind up in the "play stupid games, win stupid prizes" category.
The US-backed Saudis bombed and starved Yemen for like a decade and it didn't destroy Ansar Allah (nevermind the US bombing Yemen constantly with drones for years and years). A few US carrier groups are not going to make a dent. This is pissing in the wind - totally ineffectual and making the situation worse by making the Red Sea even more inhospitable to commercial shipping.

The productive way to get this to stop would be to negotiate a ceasefire in Gaza, not this inane bullshit.
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

US military seizes Iranian missile parts bound for Houthi rebels
US Navy Seals seized Iranian-made missile parts and other weaponry from a ship bound for Yemen’s Houthi rebels in a raid last week in which two commandos went missing, the US military said on Tuesday.

The raid marks the latest seizure by the US Navy and its allies of weapon shipments bound for the rebels, who have launched a series of attacks now threatening global trade in the Red Sea and Gulf of Aden over Israel’s war on Hamas in the Gaza Strip.

The seized missile components included types likely to have been used in those attacks.

The attacks, US-led retaliatory strikes and the raid all have raised tensions across the wider Middle East, which also saw Iran carry out ballistic missile strikes in both Iraq and Syria.

The Seal raid happened last Thursday, with the commandos launching from the USS Lewis B Puller, backed by drones and helicopters, with the US military’s Central Command saying it took place in the Arabian Sea.

The Seals found cruise and ballistic missile components, including propulsion and guidance devices, as well as warheads, Central Command said. It added that air defence parts were also found.

“Initial analysis indicates these same weapons have been employed by the Houthis to threaten and attack innocent mariners on international merchant ships transiting in the Red Sea,” Central Command said in a statement.

Images released by the US military and analysed by the Associated Press showed components resembling rocket motors and others previously seized.

The haul also included what appeared to be a cruise missile with a small turbojet engine – a type used by the Houthis and Iran.

The US Navy ultimately sank the ship carrying the weapons after deeming it unsafe, Central Command said. The ship’s 14 crew have been detained.

The Houthis have not acknowledged the seizure and Iran’s mission to the United Nations did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

A United Nations resolution bans arms transfers to Yemen’s Iranian-backed Houthi rebels.

Tehran has long denied arming the rebels, despite physical evidence, numerous seizures and experts tying the weapons back to Iran.

Since November, the Houthis have repeatedly targeted ships in the Red Sea, saying they are avenging Israel’s offensive in Gaza against Hamas.

But they have frequently targeted vessels with tenuous or no clear links to Israel, endangering shipping in a key route for global trade.

US-led air strikes targeted Houthi positions on Friday and Saturday.

In response, the Houthis launched a missile at a US-owned bulk carrier in the Gulf of Aden, further raising the risks in the conflict.

The Seals travelled in small special operations combat craft driven by naval special warfare crew to get to the boat.

As they were boarding it in rough seas, at around 8pm local time, one Seal got knocked off by high waves and a teammate went in after him. Both remain missing.
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Weird how the US government wasn't concerned about freedom of navigation when the Saudis were blockading Yemen.
Broomstick wrote: 2024-01-15 06:42pm I'm not sure the Houthis truly comprehend the size and power of the US military, Naval or otherwise.
I think that's a pretty condescending question to ask about the government of an African country that has been bombed by four consecutive US presidential elections.
His Divine Shadow

I remember the photos of all the starving children in Yemen a few years ago, sent some money to charities there. But things have not improved, they've kept killing children in Yemen as in Gaza with uncritical US support or much in the way of protest from other western countries. They all have a right to attempt this even if all it means is getting their shit kicked in.

It's really strange how we can at one time be supportive of Ukraine, yet support regimes like Israel and Saudi Arabia in doing what Russia wants to do to Ukraine.
His Divine Shadow

Does look like there are *some* consequences for the US and UK, however weak they may be.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... -sea-cover
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

His Divine Shadow wrote: 2024-01-17 01:33am Does look like there are *some* consequences for the US and UK, however weak they may be.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... -sea-cover
Margins matter a lot for international shipping. You don't have to raise the cost that much to make a route not profitable.

I'll also note that even if they're attacking ships not belonging to the US or the UK or traveling to or from Israel discouraging third-parties from shipping through the region will make it that much easier to target them specifically in the future.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Vympel wrote: 2024-01-16 07:15pm

The US-backed Saudis bombed and starved Yemen for like a decade and it didn't destroy Ansar Allah (nevermind the US bombing Yemen constantly with drones for years and years). A few US carrier groups are not going to make a dent. This is pissing in the wind - totally ineffectual and making the situation worse by making the Red Sea even more inhospitable to commercial shipping.
I agree that the current response is pissing in the wind. If the US came down with full force on the Houthis it would be a different matter but it's once again a weaksauce response. I'm not qualified to say what exactly anyone should do in the Middle East but what has been done seems either ineffective or appalling or both.

And, by the way, when I say everyone involved in the Middle East had dirty hands and been a bad actor I am in no way exempting my own nation. Just wanted to make that clear.
Vympel wrote: 2024-01-16 07:15pm The productive way to get this to stop would be to negotiate a ceasefire in Gaza, not this inane bullshit.
That only works if both (all) sides want a cease fire. Which is not currently the case.

As I said, I'm not qualified to say what should be done, or what would be effective. I just know that currently the place is a shit-show.
Ralin wrote: 2024-01-17 12:30am
I think that's a pretty condescending question to ask about the government of an African country that has been bombed by four consecutive US presidential elections.
That's the problem with the US response - they drop bombs, the bad guys survive then think that's all there is and the US for all its puffery is no more than any of the regional powers in the area. I'd prefer the US to not be involved at all rather than this sort of meddling but apparently not enough people vote like I do to effect change. I'm concerned that at some point the US is going to tip into all-out mode.

As long as the Middle East continues to be a major source of petroleum and contains major shipping routes it's going to be a mess because everyone else on the planet sees self-interest in being involved and meddling.

Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

His Divine Shadow wrote: 2024-01-17 01:10am I remember the photos of all the starving children in Yemen a few years ago, sent some money to charities there. But things have not improved, they've kept killing children in Yemen as in Gaza with uncritical US support or much in the way of protest from other western countries. They all have a right to attempt this even if all it means is getting their shit kicked in.

It's really strange how we can at one time be supportive of Ukraine, yet support regimes like Israel and Saudi Arabia in doing what Russia wants to do to Ukraine.
Some of it is proxy warfare.

Neither the US nor Russia want a direct confrontation, so they take sides in lesser conflicts.

It's not all of what goes on but it is a factor.

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Gandalf wrote: 2024-01-16 06:33pm
LadyTevar wrote: 2024-01-16 10:14amTHAT was the DOD themselves not telling ANYONE, including Biden, about the hospitalization. NOT BIDEN'S FAULT, no matter who's trying to pin it on him.
I disagree. Biden appointed Austin, so it's on Biden if Austin does unprofessional thing.
Boy, you have never been in Administration, have you.

NO, it is NOT the fault of whomever hired a person if that person slacks off or fucks up. It is on THAT PERSON, and their OWN INTEGRITY. Now, if that person continues to be a fuck-up and isn't replaced, then THAT is the fault of whomever their boss is.

Austin fucked up. ONCE, but BIG TIME. He is probably going to be replaced as soon as possible, but right now with the GOP House and that one asshole Senator blocking shit just to block shit, Now is not a good time to try to get those appointments through Congress.

You, however, are no better than those MAGAssholes tryng to blame whatever you think will stick on Biden, because it's BIDEN.

Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

LadyTevar wrote: 2024-01-17 10:39amBoy, you have never been in Administration, have you.
I actually have.
NO, it is NOT the fault of whomever hired a person if that person slacks off or fucks up. It is on THAT PERSON, and their OWN INTEGRITY. Now, if that person continues to be a fuck-up and isn't replaced, then THAT is the fault of whomever their boss is.

Austin fucked up. ONCE, but BIG TIME. He is probably going to be replaced as soon as possible, but right now with the GOP House and that one asshole Senator blocking shit just to block shit, Now is not a good time to try to get those appointments through Congress.

You, however, are no better than those MAGAssholes tryng to blame whatever you think will stick on Biden, because it's BIDEN.
You are correct that Austin fucked up. Biden was the one that put him there. Of all of the possible people to fill that spot, Biden picked Austin to take that serious role. People are responsible for their votes, managers are responsible for their hires, and political figures are responsible for their appointments. So now it's on Biden to explain why he picked a guy who would act in such a way, when in such an important position like secretary of defence.

It's the same as Bush II picking Michael Brown to run FEMA. Brown fucked up massively with regards to Hurricane Katrina, and probably some other less prominent examples. However, it's still on Bush for putting him there, because it turns out that Brown was massively unqualified.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Gandalf wrote: 2024-01-17 03:27pm
LadyTevar wrote: 2024-01-17 10:39amBoy, you have never been in Administration, have you.
I actually have.

You are correct that Austin fucked up. Biden was the one that put him there. Of all of the possible people to fill that spot, Biden picked Austin to take that serious role. People are responsible for their votes, managers are responsible for their hires, and political figures are responsible for their appointments. So now it's on Biden to explain why he picked a guy who would act in such a way, when in such an important position like secretary of defence.

It's the same as Bush II picking Michael Brown to run FEMA. Brown fucked up massively with regards to Hurricane Katrina, and probably some other less prominent examples. However, it's still on Bush for putting him there, because it turns out that Brown was massively unqualified.
Really? The best argument you can come up with is "Well... BIDEN HIRED HIM! It's His Fault" :roll:
Ok. Fine.
Funny how you mention Brown. Because, you're right, Brown was Massively Unqualified, and should never have been near ANY Federal Position.

One the other hand -- let's look at Lloyd J. Austin.
Llody J. Austin III
He graduated from the United States Military Academy with a Bachelor of Science degree and a commission in the Infantry. He holds a Master of Arts degree in counselor education from Auburn University, and a Master of Business Management from Webster University. He is a graduate of the Infantry Officer Basic and Advanced courses, the Army Command and General Staff College, and the Army War College.

His 41-year career in the Army included command at the corps, division, battalion, and brigade levels. Mr. Austin was awarded the Silver Star for his leadership of the Army’s 3rd Infantry Division during the invasion of Iraq in 2003. Seven years later, he would assume the duties of Commanding General of United States Forces – Iraq, overseeing all combat operations in the country.

After a tour as the Army’s Vice Chief of Staff, Mr. Austin concluded his uniformed service as the Commander of U.S. Central Command, responsible for all military operations in the Middle East and Afghanistan. In this assignment, he led U.S. and coalition efforts to battle ISIS in Iraq and Syria. He retired from the Army in April, 2016
Do you see anything in that biography that would lead you to believe Austin was unqualified for the job? Do you seen anything in that to suggest BIDEN had any idea Austin would decide to not tell anyone he was in the hospital?

While I will admit there's a big Military Culture about "suck it up and soldier on" about medical conditions, Austin's fuckup is on HIM. NOT on BIDEN, no matter how much you (and GOP assholes) want to twist it.

This isnt' WaterGate. Biden did not in any way, shape, or form condone Austin's actions.

Now, if you want to continue trying to blame BIDEN for AUSTIN's actions, Please try to come up with better excuses. :wanker:

Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

By that reasoning, the entire GOP is responsible for Trumps actions in regard to the Jan 6 resurrection attempt, and his actions in office, and should he be convicted on any of it, they should all be arrested as well.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.