Colorado Supreme Court Removes Trump from State Ballot

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Colorado Supreme Court Removes Trump from State Ballot

Post by LadyTevar »

Colorado Supreme Court bans Trump from State Ballot under Constitution's Insurrection Clause

After so many judges who didn't have the balls to make the call, Colorado's Supreme Court stepped up.

Now -- will the dominos start falling as more states ban him? Will the ones that didn't have the guts to do revisit their decisions?

How long before this goes to SCOTUS?
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Re: Colorado Supreme Court Removes Trump from State Ballot

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

I'll just grab some popcorn, this is gonna be fun! :twisted: :lol:
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Interesting even the lower court said "yes he totally did an insurrection but the clause doesn't apply to the presidency"

Do they not need an actual conviction on a charge to make that judgement in a legal sense?
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Crazedwraith wrote: 2023-12-19 07:01pm Do they not need an actual conviction on a charge to make that judgement in a legal sense?
Nah, the precedents from the actual Confederates the amendment was aimed at make it pretty clear they didn't expect someone to be convicted of a crime for it to apply (and that would have made it useless since most of the Confederates were never tried).
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

LadyTevar wrote: 2023-12-19 06:55pm How long before this goes to SCOTUS?
It sounds Trump can't win Colorado even if he was on the ballot. Complaining about being kicked off the Colorado ballot is something Trump can use for fundraising.

Going to SCOTUS will get a ruling that applies to the entire country. If Trump wins there, he's still unlikely to win Colorado in any scenario where it matters. If he loses, he's off the ballot in every state.

I can't see Trump taking this to SCOTUS unless other states kick him off the ballot.
Raw Shark
Stunt Driver / Babysitter

Post by Raw Shark »

This has really got to be a load off Lauren Boebert's mind. She's been watching the middle-out scene from Silicon Valley on endless repeat and practicing her technique amidst the distractions of a public venue, but personally giving a handjob to every voter in the state instead of just her own district on election day was still going to be a challenge.

"Do I really look like a guy with a plan? Y'know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it! Y'know, I just do things..." --The Joker
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

bilateralrope wrote: 2023-12-19 10:53pm I can't see Trump taking this to SCOTUS unless other states kick him off the ballot.
Trump's ego.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Ralin wrote: 2023-12-20 12:08am
bilateralrope wrote: 2023-12-19 10:53pm I can't see Trump taking this to SCOTUS unless other states kick him off the ballot.
Trump's ego.
That right there.
Is he going to go on a rampage because of this "vile attack" and try to hit back, or is some cooler head in his circle going to calm him down before he takes that step. He did go personally to "intervene" in the lower court's case.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

The hilarity of the idea of Trump fighting back and dragging this to the US Supreme Court is this; That might end up being the action that completely obliterates his chances of becoming President again!

PLEASE TRUMP, DO IT!
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Solauren wrote: 2023-12-20 01:09pm The hilarity of the idea of Trump fighting back and dragging this to the US Supreme Court is this; That might end up being the action that completely obliterates his chances of becoming President again!

PLEASE TRUMP, DO IT!
You got your wish.
The Trump Campaign is going to be taking this to SCOTUS.

EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

LadyTevar wrote: 2023-12-20 03:35pm
Solauren wrote: 2023-12-20 01:09pm The hilarity of the idea of Trump fighting back and dragging this to the US Supreme Court is this; That might end up being the action that completely obliterates his chances of becoming President again!

PLEASE TRUMP, DO IT!
You got your wish.
Isn't the SCOTUS made up of Republicans that Trump himself appointed though?
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Three of them are; Gorsuch, Beerguy, and Gilead.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Plenty of people Trump appointed have actually ruled against him.

It's possible they'll follow the logic of Colarado's supreme court or the lower one that denied it.
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Gandalf wrote: 2023-12-20 05:14pm Three of them are; Gorsuch, Beerguy, and Gilead.
I can only find Gorsuch on the official website.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

EnterpriseSovereign wrote: 2023-12-20 05:25pm
Gandalf wrote: 2023-12-20 05:14pm Three of them are; Gorsuch, Beerguy, and Gilead.
Beerguy = Brett M. Kavanaugh,

Gilead = Amy Coney Barrett
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Crazedwraith wrote: 2023-12-20 05:42pm

I'm obviously missing something here :? :?:
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

EnterpriseSovereign wrote: 2023-12-20 06:05pm

During his congress hearings to confirm him as a member of the supreme court, Kavanaugh excused his Sexual Assault Allegations by saying '[He] liked beer and [he] liked to party'

Gilead is a reference to "A Handmaiden's Tale' a dystopian novel where women have no rights, Barrett is famously regressive when it comes to women's rights.
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Crazedwraith wrote: 2023-12-20 06:18pm
EnterpriseSovereign wrote: 2023-12-20 06:05pm

During his congress hearings to confirm him as a member of the supreme court, Kavanaugh excused his Sexual Assault Allegations by saying '[He] liked beer and [he] liked to party'

Gilead is a reference to "A Handmaiden's Tale' a dystopian novel where women have no rights, Barrett is famously regressive when it comes to women's rights.
That would be why then, I never read The Handmaid's Tale. :lol:
Zwinmar
Jedi Master

Post by Zwinmar »

It reads as a how to guide for the a US theocracy if you only look at the beginning. They don't get the what he author was really saying.
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

PLEASE TRUMP, DO IT!
You got your wish.
Could I get a link ?

I can't find anything myself.
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Crazedwraith wrote: 2023-12-20 05:16pm Plenty of people Trump appointed have actually ruled against him.

It's possible they'll follow the logic of Colarado's supreme court or the lower one that denied it.
They have, but Supreme Court judges are a different kettle of fish from regular GOP douche judges. And this is a decision even a liberal Supreme Court would very likely strike down. It's like the definition of a political question
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

PLEASE TRUMP, DO IT!
I'm sure the US Supreme Court will vote to let this stand about five minutes after they vote to appoint me to the presidency. Thomas, Barret, Alito and Kavanaugh are dead certain to flush this out of hand. Gorsuch and Roberts will try some kind of weasel-dicked rationale and punt it back to a lower court and let them hold the hot potato until after the election.
Ralin wrote: 2023-12-19 07:23pm
Crazedwraith wrote: 2023-12-19 07:01pm Do they not need an actual conviction on a charge to make that judgement in a legal sense?
Nah, the precedents from the actual Confederates the amendment was aimed at make it pretty clear they didn't expect someone to be convicted of a crime for it to apply (and that would have made it useless since most of the Confederates were never tried).
That's because the very idea that there would be a dispute about whether someone who resigned their public office, was sworn into an office or commission with the Confederacy and in most cases, signed parole slips when they surrendered; was actually an oath-breaker was as absurd as the notion that werewolves were real. They may have been traitors responsible for multitudes of deaths, but they had some measure of shame (and the legitimate fear of the gallows if they pushed their luck a second time). Trump has no shame and his mouth-breathing minions love him for it.

Speaking of werewolves, the most worrisome part of this scheme is that people actually think a federal judiciary stacked with MAGA judges will allow this silver bullet to work, and that it might help Biden next November. Biden had better pray Trump is the nominee because if he's not and the GOP puts up a candidate that can pass themselves off as a normie, he's done for.
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Elfdart wrote: 2023-12-22 08:15pmThey may have been traitors responsible for multitudes of deaths, but they had some measure of shame (and the legitimate fear of the gallows if they pushed their luck a second time). Trump has no shame and he and his mouth-breathing minions love him for it.
Notably, they also never denied that Lincoln was legitimately elected president.
That's because the very idea that there would be a dispute about whether someone who resigned their public office, was sworn into an office or commission with the Confederacy and in most cases, signed parole slips when they surrendered; was actually an oath-breaker was as absurd as the notion that werewolves were real.
It's a little complicated though. From what I've read even when they enforced it against the actual Confederates it usually wasn't applied at the point of the ballot. Like I forget the name but at one point a former Confederate state governor was elected to Congress and Congress flat out told him to go fuck himself and after a year or so long impasse his state picked someone else because Congress refused to seat him. He later got in under a mass pardon.

Course, part of this is because of the quirk in Colorado's state constitution about which candidates are allowed to run. So even if the Supreme Court upheld it (hah) I'm not sure that would disqualify him elsewhere.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

PLEASE TRUMP, DO IT!
You got your wish.
That's Part 1 of the Wish
Now for Part 2!
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Maine becomes second US state to declare it wants to remove Donald Trump from 2024 ballot

The second domino has fallen
Maine’s Democratic secretary of state removed former President Donald Trump from the state’s presidential primary ballot as the US Supreme Court is poised to decide whether Trump remains eligible to return to the White House.

Secretary of State Shenna Bellows found that Trump could no longer run for his prior job because his role in the January 6, 2021, attack on the US Capitol violated Section 3, which bans from office those who “engaged in insurrection.”

“I do not reach this conclusion lightly,” Bellows wrote in her 34-page decision.

“I am mindful that no Secretary of State has ever deprived a presidential candidate of ballot access based on Section 3 of the Fourteenth Amendment. I am also mindful, however, that no presidential candidate has ever before engaged in insurrection.”

In her decision, Bellows acknowledged that the US Supreme Court will probably have the final word but said it was important she did her official duty.

She is the first election official to take this action unilaterally.

Her decision follows a ruling earlier this month by the Colorado Supreme Court that booted Trump from the ballot there under Section 3 of the 14th Amendment.

The Trump campaign said it would appeal Bellows' decision to Maine's state courts, and Bellows suspended her ruling until that court system rules on the case.

"We are witnessing, in real-time, the attempted theft of an election and the disenfranchisement of the American voter,” Trump's campaign spokesman Steven Cheung said in a statement.

It also requested that Bellows disqualify herself from the case because she'd previously tweeted that January 6 was an "insurrection” and bemoaned that Trump was acquitted in his impeachment trial in the US Senate after the attack.

But she refused to step aside, telling reporters on Thursday night: “My decision was based exclusively on the record presented to me at the hearing and was in no way influenced by my political affiliation or personal views about the events of January 6, 2021.”

While Maine has just four electoral votes, it’s one of two states to split them.

Trump won one of Maine’s electors in 2020, so having him off the ballot there, should he emerge as the Republican general election candidate, could have outsized implications in a race that is expected to be narrowly decided.

That's in contrast to Colorado, which Trump lost by 13 percentage points in 2020 and where he wasn't expected to compete in November if he wins the Republican presidential nomination.

The timing on the US Supreme Court's decision is unclear, but both sides want it fast.

Colorado's Republican Party appealed the Colorado high court decision on Wednesday, urging an expedited schedule, and Trump is also expected to file an appeal within the week.

The petitioners in the Colorado case on Thursday urged the nation's highest court to adopt an even faster schedule so it could rule before March 5, known as Super Tuesday, when 16 states, including Colorado and Maine, are scheduled to vote in the Republican presidential nominating process.

The high court needs to formally accept the case first, but legal experts consider that a certainty.