Israel orders mass 'evacuation' from Northern Gaza, humanitarian crisis certain to ensue

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Re: Israel orders mass 'evacuation' from Northern Gaza, humanitarian crisis certain to ensue

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

WASHINGTON, Oct 21 (Reuters) - When Joe Biden met with Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and his war cabinet during his visit to Israel, the U.S. president assured them: "I don't believe you have to be a Jew to be a Zionist, and I am a Zionist."
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Re: Israel orders mass 'evacuation' from Northern Gaza, humanitarian crisis certain to ensue

Post by Broomstick »

Ralin wrote: 2023-12-29 08:01am
Solauren wrote: 2023-12-29 07:54am Unless that carrier group is ordered into combat against Israel's neighbours, it means jack shit.
The fuck do you think it's there for?
"Protect international shipping" is a possibility. Also "protect shipments of petroleum".
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

EnterpriseSovereign wrote: 2023-12-29 01:55pm WASHINGTON, Oct 21 (Reuters) - When Joe Biden met with Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and his war cabinet during his visit to Israel, the U.S. president assured them: "I don't believe you have to be a Jew to be a Zionist, and I am a Zionist."
I want to see the link to that article.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
J
Kaye Elle Emenopey

Post by J »

LadyTevar wrote: 2023-12-29 07:49pm
EnterpriseSovereign wrote: 2023-12-29 01:55pm WASHINGTON, Oct 21 (Reuters) - When Joe Biden met with Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and his war cabinet during his visit to Israel, the U.S. president assured them: "I don't believe you have to be a Jew to be a Zionist, and I am a Zionist."
https://www.reuters.com/world/us/i-am-z ... 023-10-21/
This post is a 100% natural organic product.
The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects

I'm not sure why people choose 'To Love is to Bury' as their wedding song...It's about a murder-suicide
- Margo Timmins

When it becomes serious, you have to lie
- Jean-Claude Juncker
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

J wrote: 2023-12-29 07:58pm
Well... shit... I was hoping for a misquote.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

The flip side to that is that even if a person is a Jew they aren't automatically a Zionist.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

LadyTevar wrote: 2023-12-30 02:23pm
J wrote: 2023-12-29 07:58pm
Well... shit... I was hoping for a misquote.
When I did the four-word search "is Joe Biden Jewish?" on Google, the first four words I got back were "I am a Zionist" as the headline on that article, as well as this titbit further down:
Joe and Jill Biden are Roman Catholics - but all three of the Biden children married Jews.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

EnterpriseSovereign wrote: 2023-12-30 10:04pm When I did the four-word search "is Joe Biden Jewish?" on Google, the first four words I got back were "I am a Zionist" as the headline on that article, as well as this titbit further down:
Joe and Jill Biden are Roman Catholics - but all three of the Biden children married Jews.
THAT is an interesting tidbit, and it would explain why he called himself Zionist. He supports his in-laws and grandkids.

Which puts a whole different spin on that quote.

Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

LadyTevar wrote: 2023-12-31 11:11amTHAT is an interesting tidbit, and it would explain why he called himself Zionist. He supports his in-laws and grandkids.

Some of Biden's family are Jewish, so he's a Zionist to support them? I really don't follow.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Gandalf wrote: 2023-12-31 12:08pm
LadyTevar wrote: 2023-12-31 11:11amTHAT is an interesting tidbit, and it would explain why he called himself Zionist. He supports his in-laws and grandkids.

Some of Biden's family are Jewish, so he's a Zionist to support them? I really don't follow.
Can't exactly ask him to clarify why he described himself as a Zionist, I found this poor-quality clip of him doing so on YouTube from 2016.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

LadyTevar wrote: 2023-12-31 11:11am
EnterpriseSovereign wrote: 2023-12-30 10:04pm When I did the four-word search "is Joe Biden Jewish?" on Google, the first four words I got back were "I am a Zionist" as the headline on that article, as well as this titbit further down:
THAT is an interesting tidbit, and it would explain why he called himself Zionist. He supports his in-laws and grandkids.

Jewish =/= Zionist.

There is a lot of overlap if you're comparing Jews and Zionists but really, those terms are not synonyms.

And even if his in-laws and grandkids do fit that description, a LOT of Jews, including Zionist Jews, despise Netanyahu and are either opposed to this war or have grave concerns as to how it is being conducted.

Now, it could be Biden doesn't have a good grasp of the nuances and thinks supporting Jews and being a Zionist are the same thing. They are not, especially these days, although Netanyahu and some of the Christian lusting-after-Armageddon whack-jobs in Congress would have you think so.

bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Netanyahu says Gaza-Egypt border zone should be under Israeli control
The Israeli prime minister also predicts the war in Gaza and on other regional fronts would last many months.

The Israeli prime minister also predicts the war in Gaza and on other regional fronts would last many months.

The border zone between the Gaza Strip and Egypt should be under Israel’s control, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has said, as he predicted the war in the Palestinian enclave and on other regional fronts would last many months.

As Israel entered the 13th week of its war in Gaza on Saturday, Netanyahu held a news conference where he renewed his promise to eliminate Hamas and bring home all Israelis held captive in Gaza.

“The Philadelphi Corridor – or to put it more correctly, the southern stoppage point [of Gaza] – must be in our hands. It must be shut. It is clear that any other arrangement would not ensure the demilitarisation that we seek,” he said.

Israel has said it intends to destroy Hamas in Gaza and demilitarise the territory to prevent any repeat of the October 7 cross-border killing and kidnapping spree by the armed group.

“The war is at its height. We are fighting on all of the fronts. Achieving victory will require time. As the [Israeli army] chief of staff has said, the war will continue for many more months,” Netanyahu said.

He also added a rare threat to attack Iran directly over the near-daily exchanges of fire across the Israel-Lebanon border.

“If [the Iran-backed Lebanese armed group] Hezbollah expands the warfare, it will suffer blows that it has not dreamed of – and so too Iran,” Netanyahu said without elaborating.

The war has triggered fears of a regional conflagration amid rising tensions with other Iranian-aligned groups in Lebanon, Syria, Iraq and Yemen.

Israel’s relentless bombing and ground offensive on Gaza since October 7 has killed at least 21,672 people, most of them women and children, with thousands of others buried under the rubble.

The military operation has also displaced almost the entire 2.3 million population of the besieged territory.

About 1,140 people were killed by Hamas in Israel in the October 7 attacks.
Looks like Israel wants to control all access to Gaza so that nobody can escape or tell the world what's happening within it.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

I hope Eqypt keeps control of that border.

Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

I can't see Egypt agreeing not to control their own border.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

What Israel would do if they haven't already is park their own troops on the Gaza side of the border and assume de facto control of who/what gets in or out so that their siege remains unbroken.
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

EnterpriseSovereign wrote: 2024-01-01 12:31pm What Israel would do if they haven't already is park their own troops on the Gaza side of the border and assume de facto control of who/what gets in or out so that their siege remains unbroken.
I assumed that's what he meant. Not that Israeli troops would be running the Egyptian side of the border too.
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

EnterpriseSovereign wrote: 2023-12-31 02:15pm
Gandalf wrote: 2023-12-31 12:08pm

Can't exactly ask him to clarify why he described himself as a Zionist, I found this poor-quality clip of him doing so on YouTube from 2016.
It's more Tev's thing about being a Zionist to support his Jewish relatives. That read to me like a weird jump, considering that Zionism isn't some necessary component of Judaism.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

US Navy ending aircraft carrier's Middle East deployment
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The Gerald R. Ford aircraft carrier will return to its home port, the U.S. Navy said on Monday, ending its deployment to the eastern Mediterranean, which started in support of Israel after the Oct. 7 attack by Hamas militants.

The nuclear-powered Ford, the Navy's newest carrier with over 4,000 personnel and eight squadrons of aircraft, became a powerful symbol of American support by rushing closer to Israel after the Palestinian militant group's attack.

The attacks triggered a war in Gaza with Israeli forces reducing much of the territory to rubble, killing thousands and plunging its 2.3 million people into a humanitarian disaster.

Israel says the Hamas attack killed 1,200 people. Palestinian health authorities in Hamas-run Gaza say Israeli forces have killed nearly 22,000 people.
"Immediately following Hamas' brutal attack on Israel, the USS Gerald R. Ford Carrier Strike Group was ordered to the eastern Mediterranean to contribute to our regional deterrence and defense posture," the Navy said in a statement.

U.S. Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin had extended the Ford's deployment three times in hopes that its presence would deter Iran and Iran-aligned groups, particularly Lebanon's Hezbollah, from attacking Israel.

U.S. troops in Iraq and Syria have endured drone and rocket attacks by Iran-backed militia. Iran-aligned Houthis in Yemen have disrupted global trade by attacking commercial tankers and container ships in the Red Sea with drones and missiles.

"DoD (Department of Defense) will continue to leverage its collective force posture in the region to deter any state or non-state actor from escalating this crisis beyond Gaza," the Navy said.

The Ford will return to its home base in Virginia.
Not sure of the significance of this, they're keeping the USS Dwight D. Eisenhower in the region.
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Gandalf wrote: 2024-01-01 03:08pm
It's more Tev's thing about being a Zionist to support his Jewish relatives. That read to me like a weird jump, considering that Zionism isn't some necessary component of Judaism.
It is if you're a Zionist. And I don't know if most Jews are Zionists but I'd be very surprised if Zionist+Zionist-friendly Jews weren't the majority.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

EnterpriseSovereign wrote: 2024-01-01 03:27pm US Navy ending aircraft carrier's Middle East deployment

Not sure of the significance of this, they're keeping the USS Dwight D. Eisenhower in the region.
They have to cycle the troops back home and give them a break, that's all. The article states that the Ford's deployment had been extended 3 Times already, and there is a limit to how long troops and ships can be deployed without needing breaks and upkeep.
So, nothing Significant, just SOP troop rotation.

IF they have another aircraft group that can move in, it's probably already got orders to do so. Otherwise, the Ford will be home for furlough, then loaded up and sent back so the Eisenhower can be sent home in rotation.

Another thought that came to mind, some of those sailors/marines might be reaching the end of their contract and need to be StateSide to be processed out. Yes, technically the contract can be extended to the full 8yrs, and there are incentives give to keep them longer, but if the sailor wants to leave, the DOD usually just shuffles them over to Reserves and moves on.

Zwinmar
Jedi Master

Post by Zwinmar »

I'm more interested in seeing what they have the MEU do. It is well within its remit to set up a humanitarian aid point in Gaza. But yeah, the Ford is due for replenishment and repair and the crew need a break, no telling how many are due to get out or change commands.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Ralin wrote: 2024-01-02 02:16am
Gandalf wrote: 2024-01-01 03:08pm
It is if you're a Zionist. And I don't know if most Jews are Zionists but I'd be very surprised if Zionist+Zionist-friendly Jews weren't the majority.
As you say, the majority of Jews are either Zionist or Zionist friendly, but there has always been a minority that were either (for lack of a better term) Zionist-indifferent or even anti-Zionist (the latter often based in religious belief that a new Israel would need to be founded by the Messiah, which the current state of Israel was not).

EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Top Hamas official killed in Beirut blast
A top Hamas official has been killed in a blast in Beirut, Hamas and Hezbollah officials have said.

Saleh Arouri was a founder of Hamas' military wing and had headed up the group's presence in the West Bank.

Hamas’ leader, Haniyeh Ismail, said the movement was “more powerful and determined” following the attack. “They left behind them strong men who will carry the banner after them,” he said of those killed.

Hezbollah called the strike “a serious attack on Lebanon, its people, its security, sovereignty and resistance.”

“We affirm that this crime will never pass without response and punishment,” it said.

The blast was carried out by an apparent Israeli drone on Tuesday evening and hit an apartment in a building in a Shiite district of Beirut that is a Hezbollah stronghold. It killed four people in total.

Israel’s Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu had threated to kill him even before the Hamas-Israel conflict broke out on October 7, but Israeli officials have declined to comment on the news.

If Israel is confirmed as having been behind the attack, it could cause further escalation of the tensions in the Middle East.

Hezbollah leader Sayyed Hassan Nasrallah said there would be retaliation against any Israeli targeting Palestinian officials in Lebanon.

Hamas official Bassem Naim confirmed to The Associated Press that Arouri was killed in the blast. A Hezbollah official speaking on condition of anonymity in line with regulations also said Arouri was killed.

The explosion could be felt across Musharafieh, one of the Lebanese capital's southern suburbs, which are a stronghold of the militant Hezbollah group. Hezbollah is an ally of Hamas.

The announcement comes as the Israel-Hamas conflict is about to enter its fourth month, with heavy combat having killed more than 21,000 people.
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Israel to fight South Africa's Gaza genocide claim in court
By Raffi Berg
BBC News

Israel will fight South Africa's claim that it is committing "genocidal" acts in Gaza at the International Court of Justice, an Israeli spokesman has said.

"History will judge you, and it will judge you without mercy," Eylon Levy said, addressing South African leaders.

South Africa filed the case at the ICJ on Friday, to Israel's outrage.

South Africa is a staunch supporter of the Palestinians and has repeatedly condemned Israel since the start of the war with Gaza on 7 October.

More than 22,000 Palestinians - the majority of them civilians - have been killed in Israeli strikes since the war began, according to Gaza's health ministry which is run by the Islamist group Hamas.

Israel declared war on Hamas after the group led a massive attack on communities inside Israel, killing about 1,200 people, mostly civilians, and taking some 240 others back to Gaza as hostages.

Following its application to the ICJ, South Africa's presidency said that the country was obliged "to prevent genocide from occurring".

The 84-page document states that the "acts and omissions by Israel" are "genocidal in character because they are intended to bring about the destruction of a substantial part of the Palestinian national, racial and ethnical group".

South African government lawyers are preparing for the case to be heard on 11 and 12 January, Clayson Monyela, a spokesperson for South Africa's Department of International Relations and Cooperation, said on X.

The ICJ, which is based in the Hague in the Netherlands, is the UN's highest court. It settles disputes between states and gives advisory opinions on international legal issues. It does not have the power to bring prosecutions. However, its opinions carry weight with the UN and other international legal bodies.

Israeli intended to fight the case, Eylon Levy said, "to dispel South Africa's absurd blood libel".

A blood libel is a term used to describe antisemitic false allegations against Jewish communities of bloodletting, originating in Europe in the Middle Ages.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu angrily rejected South Africa's allegations when it filed the lawsuit, saying "No, South Africa, it is not we who have come to perpetrate genocide, it is Hamas.

"It would murder all of us if it could. In contrast, the IDF [Israeli army] is acting as morally as possible."

It comes as Israel is already facing an investigation by the ICJ, initiated by the Palestinians, into its "prolonged occupation, settlement and annexation of... Palestinian territory".

The court has sat in judgement on Israel once before, in 2004, when it found that Israel's barrier built in and around the occupied West Bank was against international law. Israel said the barrier was built to thwart suicide bombings from the West Bank; Palestinians considered it a mechanism to take land.
I wonder how a ruling that Israel is engaged in genocide would affect their support from the US. It should reduce support a lot, but I have my doubts.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

bilateralrope wrote: 2024-01-02 10:33pm Israel to fight South Africa's Gaza genocide claim in court

I wonder how a ruling that Israel is engaged in genocide would affect their support from the US. It should reduce support a lot, but I have my doubts.
This is news I'd not heard.
I don't know what a "guilty" verdict would do. Proving genocide in court is going to be the sticking point, and let's be honest there will be a lot of resistance to coming out and admitting "yes it's being done, by Israel", simply because of the political climate right now.
It's gonna be as bad as getting Trump to trial.