Kevin McCarthy removed as US House speaker

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Re: Kevin McCarthy removed as US House speaker

Post by LadyTevar »

Well... they agreed on a candidate...

Steve Scalise scrambles for Votes
Republicans have narrowly backed Steve Scalise to be the next Speaker of the House of Representatives, but it is unclear if he has enough support to win an overall majority in the chamber.

He defeated hardliner Jim Jordan in a private vote on Wednesday.

Mr Scalise, 58, must now work to unite the divided Republicans and secure their backing in a full House vote.
Republicans hold a slim majority, meaning he can only afford to lose the support of five party members.

It is unclear when the House will be convened for the vote, but Republican representatives are set to meet later on Thursday. A simple majority, 217, is required for Mr Scalise to win the job.
If he were to achieve that, he would become Speaker and end days of paralysis in the lower chamber of Congress, which began when Kevin McCarthy was ousted by hardliners in his own Republican Party.

With no elected Speaker in place, the House finds itself leaderless at a critical time. It is unable to pass any bills or approve White House requests for emergency aid, such as for Israel following the weekend attacks by Hamas, and it must also pass a spending bill in the coming weeks to avoid a government shutdown.

The Republican Party, however, has been plagued by infighting and for days now has seemed unable to reach an agreement on Mr McCarthy's replacement.
Among those still opposing him is Kentucky's Thomas Massie, who told reporters that he is a "hard no", at least in the initial vote, because of disagreements with Mr Scalise on how the budget should be handled.
Mr Massie added that he believed at least 20 other Republicans would also vote against Mr Scalise, significantly more than the five votes he could afford to lose.

Several other Republican representatives, including Colorado's Lauren Boebert, Georgia's Marjorie Taylor Greene and Florida's Anna Paulina Luna, have said they do not intend to vote for Mr Scalise.
Texas Congressman Chip Roy has said he too he is a "hard no" for now because the vote was "rushed" to the floor.
"There are a number of votes that are very much in question for Steve," he said. "I don't think it's a good idea for us to be barrelling towards the floor."
"When we go to the floor, there'll be at least a relatively high expectation on the part of Steve Scalise and his team that he's got the votes," Representative John Duarte, a supporter of Mr Scalise, said on Thursday.

Mr Scalise is the more traditional candidate in this race. He worked his way up through the party's leadership, built a reputation as a formidable fundraiser and tried to build connections to the party's full range of interest groups and constituencies.
Speaking to reporters after the private vote, he said filling the Speaker role was vital in an increasingly "dangerous world".
"We need to make sure we're sending a message... that the House is open," he said.

The slim margin of Mr Scalise's victory in the closed-door meeting on Wednesday - 113 votes to 99 - highlights the deep divisions within the party, and some lawmakers have expressed scepticism that, even now, he has the votes necessary to secure the position.

Jim Jordan was the outsider, who rose to fame with conservative television appearances, bombastic rhetoric and confrontational speeches in committee hearings.
Mr Jordan was also endorsed by Mr Trump, which in the end was not enough to put him over the top.
One of the anti-Scalise Republicans, Texas' Troy Nehls, cited the former president's endorsement as a reason he still planned to vote for Mr Jordan.
"That's what Donald Trump wanted," he said.

Mr Scalise's victory suggests that, when the doors are closed and the ballots are secret, the former president's influence within the party - at least in the House of Representatives - is not as strong as his polling popularity might indicate.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Zwinmar
Jedi Master

Post by Zwinmar »

Rogue 9 wrote: 2023-10-11 11:52pm Them never getting a majority again is wildly optimistic with how gerrymandered most of the states are. They don't need a nationwide electoral majority to control the chamber.
With their capture of the rogue supreme court it doesn't seem like it is going to change any time soon. Enough of these 'justices' have been paid off for the R cause.
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

Republican Steve Scalise drops out of U.S. Speaker race, leaving House in deeper chaos
CBC wrote:Representative Steve Scalise, whom Republicans nominated to be the next Speaker of the U.S. House of Representatives, dropped out of the race on Thursday as the party failed to resolve its divisions, prolonging the leadership crisis in the chamber.

Scalise, the No. 2 House Republican, had secured his party's nomination to replace ousted Speaker Kevin McCarthy but was still short of the 217 votes needed to be elected on the House floor, as several of his fellow Republicans said they would not support him.

Republicans could afford no more than four defections, as they control the House by a narrow 221-212 margin, if they wanted to end the House's leaderless bout that has already lasted nine days.

"I just shared with my colleagues that I was withdrawing my name as a candidate for our Speaker designee," Scalise told reporters.

"There are still some people that have their own agendas," he said. "And I was very clear, we have to have everybody put their agendas on the side and focus on what this country needs."

Republican infighting

The Republican infighting has left the chamber unable to act to support Israel's war against Hamas or pass government spending bills before funding runs out on Nov. 17.

Republicans had been hoping to avoid a repeat of the embarrassing spectacle that occurred in January, when hardline conservatives forced McCarthy to endure 15 floor votes over four days before winning the Speaker's gavel.

Several Republicans earlier said they would stick with Scalise's rival Jim Jordan, who lost out in a secret-ballot vote on Wednesday. Jordan had encouraged his supporters to vote for Scalise, according to a source who spoke on condition of anonymity.

While McCarthy was the first Speaker to be removed in a formal vote, the last two Republicans to hold the job wound up leaving under pressure from party hardliners.

Scalise, 58, gained near legendary status within Republican circles by surviving a severe gunshot wound after a gunman opened fire during practise for a charity baseball game in 2017.

He also commands widespread respect as a veteran legislator, who has spent years in party leadership positions.

Health concerns

But Scalise also faces new health concerns as he undergoes treatment for multiple myeloma, a form of blood cancer, which some Jordan supporters cited as a reason not to vote for him.

Jordan was endorsed by former U.S. president Donald Trump and appeared to be the favourite of populist minded hardliners.

Trump, in an interview with Fox News Radio earlier on Thursday, said he did not object to Scalise as Speaker.

"Steve is a man that is in serious trouble from the standpoint of his cancer. I mean, he's got to get better for himself," he said in an interview with Fox News Radio.
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

I wonder how long it will be before someone leaks the real reason for him backing out.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

bilateralrope wrote: 2023-10-13 04:30am I wonder how long it will be before someone leaks the real reason for him backing out.
What "real reason" is that?

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

LadyTevar wrote: 2023-10-13 11:23am
bilateralrope wrote: 2023-10-13 04:30am I wonder how long it will be before someone leaks the real reason for him backing out.
What "real reason" is that?
I find it odd that he backs out just after getting the nomination and hard to trust the word of Republicans. Beyond that all I've got is speculation. Things like death threats from Trump supporters, someone has blackmail on him, etc.
Khaat
Jedi Master

Post by Khaat »

Steve "David Duke without the baggage" Scalise has plenty of distractions. But the GOP NOT giving over to Trump's pick means his hold might be loosening, and that can't be a bad thing. He still has kooks on the ground willing to march, though.
Rule #1: Believe the autocrat. He means what he says.
Rule #2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule #3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule #4: Be outraged.
Rule #5: Don’t make compromises.
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Maybe. But Jim Jordan is currently the only person who is saying that he wants the speaker job.

I'm hoping the democrats put someone forward after he fails to get the job. No negotiating, just "you didn't want Jim Jordan, so we decided to give you an alternative".
Lost Soal
Sith Devotee

Post by Lost Soal »

bilateralrope wrote: 2023-10-13 01:42pm Maybe. But Jim Jordan is currently the only person who is saying that he wants the speaker job.

I'm hoping the democrats put someone forward after he fails to get the job. No negotiating, just "you didn't want Jim Jordan, so we decided to give you an alternative".
They'll keep nominating Hakeem Jeffries just like last time.
"May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places where you must walk." - Ancient Egyptian Blessing

Ivanova is always right.
I will listen to Ivanova.
I will not ignore Ivanova's recommendations. Ivanova is God.
AND, if this ever happens again, Ivanova will personally rip your lungs out! - Babylon 5 Mantra

There is no "I" in TEAM. There is a ME however.
Alferd Packer
Sith Marauder

Post by Alferd Packer »

The real reason Scalise didn't get the nod is because he's not Republican enough. The Freedom Caucus wasn't going to vote for him, so rather than call the vote and suffer the embarassment, he let the Party save some face by bowing out beforehand.
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance--that principle is contempt prior to investigation." -Herbert Spencer

"Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain." - Schiller, Die Jungfrau von Orleans, III vi.
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

Austin Scott (R) of Georgia has put his name forward for Speaker. If you're asking, "Who?" you aren't alone. He seems to be angling for the anti-Jordan protest vote.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Rogue 9 wrote: 2023-10-13 03:12pm Austin Scott (R) of Georgia has put his name forward for Speaker. If you're asking, "Who?" you aren't alone. He seems to be angling for the anti-Jordan protest vote.
Scott got some 50+ votes, but Jordan took the nomination.

Unfortunately, Jordan doesn't have the numbers to win in the Full House.

Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

LadyTevar wrote: 2023-10-14 06:24am
Rogue 9 wrote: 2023-10-13 03:12pm Austin Scott (R) of Georgia has put his name forward for Speaker. If you're asking, "Who?" you aren't alone. He seems to be angling for the anti-Jordan protest vote.
Scott got some 50+ votes, but Jordan took the nomination.

Unfortunately, Jordan doesn't have the numbers to win in the Full House.
Scott took 81, which should tell you how divisive Jordan is within the party given Scott's campaign started only a few hours before the vote. And I'd call it extremely fortunate that Jordan likely can't become Speaker.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

First round of votes yields no winners.

So they'll go back behind closed doors to try and twist arms, hoping they can find a compromise candidate between the factions who just want to warm their seats long term, and the culture warriors.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

It's Rogue, not Rouge!

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

A lot of people find it hilarious. It's actually pretty damn pathetic, but they've hoisted their petard so....

Next vote is sometime today. Wonder how many votes Jordan loses to his high-pressure tactics. :-D

Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Second vote done. Jordan is losing support, which makes this funnier.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Highlord Laan
Jedi Master
Location: Christo-fundie Theofascist Dominion of Nebraskistan

Post by Highlord Laan »

Last vote was only five votes away from the sane man in the room getting the Speaker's Gavel. Too bad republicans are too much a pack of self serving cowards, shysters and assorted scum and weasels to the very last voter to actually do their fucking jobs.
Never underestimate the ingenuity and cruelty of the Irish.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Highlord Laan wrote: 2023-10-18 05:18pm Last vote was only five votes away from the sane man in the room getting the Speaker's Gavel. Too bad republicans are too much a pack of self serving cowards, shysters and assorted scum and weasels to the very last voter to actually do their fucking jobs.
If I thought it'd help, I'd write to the WV Reps and get them to stand up and do something.

But TBH they're a pack of Trumpsits, so I doubt it'd so jack shit.

Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

Highlord Laan wrote: 2023-10-18 05:18pm Last vote was only five votes away from the sane man in the room getting the Speaker's Gavel. Too bad republicans are too much a pack of self serving cowards, shysters and assorted scum and weasels to the very last voter to actually do their fucking jobs.
Every vote is going to be five votes away from that, just like they were in January. The Democrats are going to vote as a bloc for Jeffries and the Republicans are going to have a knock-down, drag-out fight amongst themselves.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

Highlord Laan
Jedi Master
Location: Christo-fundie Theofascist Dominion of Nebraskistan

Post by Highlord Laan »

Rogue 9 wrote: 2023-10-18 07:23pm
Every vote is going to be five votes away from that, just like they were in January. The Democrats are going to vote as a bloc for Jeffries and the Republicans are going to have a knock-down, drag-out fight amongst themselves.
Contrary to popular belief, there is no such thing as honor among thieves.
Never underestimate the ingenuity and cruelty of the Irish.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Highlord Laan wrote: 2023-10-18 08:06pm Contrary to popular belief, there is no such thing as honor among thieves.
Not entirely true. The problem is, the current group of thieves er Republicans in the Federal Government of the United States have no honor.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

LadyTevar wrote: 2023-10-18 05:59pm
If I thought it'd help, I'd write to the WV Reps and get them to stand up and do something.

But TBH they're a pack of Trumpsits, so I doubt it'd so jack shit.
Sounds like they're voting more or less in accord with what their constituents would want.
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

House GOP drowning as crisis reaches breaking point
It seems that every day without a speaker brings a new release of pent-up anger from Republicans who see no way out of their self-inflicted pain.

By OLIVIA BEAVERS, JORDAIN CARNEY and SARAH FERRIS

10/19/2023 06:48 PM EDT

When Matt Gaetz stepped to the microphones during Thursday’s three-hour private House GOP meeting on the speakership, the speaker he ousted promptly yelled at him to “sit down.”

Kevin McCarthy was not the only Republican to vent fury with Gaetz, the Florida conservative who successfully ousted the House’s leader. The room met Gaetz with booing, profanities and calls to back off, according to multiple lawmakers in the room. When Gaetz refused, Rep. Mike Bost (R-Ill.) stood up and hollered a command at him that one Republican recalled as: “If you don’t sit down, I’ll put you down.”

It seems that every day without a speaker brings a new release of pent-up anger from the House GOP, which is stuck in the bewildering position of technically controlling a chamber of Congress where it can’t even vote on bills. At the moment, their latest pick for speaker, Rep. Jim Jordan (R-Ohio), cannot win the gavel on the floor and yet still won’t end his campaign — preventing a half-dozen or more other ambitious GOP lawmakers from jumping into the race.

Republicans’ inability to elect a new leader is so acute that by Thursday, they squabbled over whether to empower a colleague who they wouldn’t elect to control the floor, only to jettison that idea hours later. Those talks about elevating Rep. Patrick McHenry (R-N.C.) quickly grew nasty as conservatives accused fellow Republicans of pursuing a power-sharing arrangement with Democrats.

What went unsaid: Those same conservatives are loath to abandon Jordan’s doomed candidacy lest it underscore that their most influential voice couldn’t get the votes.

After 16 days adrift, it was clear by Thursday evening that House Republicans have hit rock bottom. What began as social media sniping over their failed speakership battle has devolved into real fears for the safety of members whose families are receiving personal threats over their decision to oppose Jordan.

Making matters worse, the implosion of the empower-McHenry push leaves them without a backup plan. And Jordan’s disavowal of aggressive tactics used against his skeptics didn’t move them at all. After meeting with some of the holdouts later Thursday evening, Jordan didn’t make headway. Instead, the members opposing him urged him to drop out.

Even so, he’s planning to push another ballot on Friday morning.

When asked if he changed his mind, Rep. Mike Kelly (R-Pa.) replied: “I can’t.”

“We had an election. We elected somebody,” Kelly said, noting that Jordan allies helped block Majority Leader Steve Scalise (R-La.) from the gavel last week.

Multiple conference members, including Reps. Nathaniel Moran (R-Texas), Lance Gooden (R-Texas) and Debbie Lesko (R-Ariz.) pressed Jordan on how he could decide to stay in the speaker race, including his decision to do so while also backing a plan to empower McHenry.

During Thursday’s meeting, Moran pressed Jordan on a previous vow to the GOP last week that he would step down if he couldn’t get 217 votes — which has become increasingly obvious.

“I didn’t get a clear answer as to the timing of when he might be willing to do that,” Moran said in a brief interview.

While a majority of Republicans are standing by Jordan publicly, Rep. Dan Crenshaw (R-Texas) suggested that a larger chorus of lawmakers are privately calling, or at least wishing, that Jordan would drop out.

“A lot of people” want Jordan to end his candidacy, Crenshaw added, while describing himself as agnostic.

Much of the GOP frustration is aimed at Gaetz and the seven other Republicans who linked arms with House Democrats to oust McCarthy earlier this month, standing against an overwhelming majority of the GOP conference.

“If you are going to blow a bridge, you better have another one to cross. And those eight clearly didn’t have another one to cross before they blew this bridge,” Rep. Mike Waltz (R-Fla.) said.

Further fueling the raw feelings are personal threats lawmakers and their families are now facing over the speaker vote. Rep. Drew Ferguson (R-Ga.) disclosed to his colleagues on Thursday that he had placed a sheriff at his daughter’s school, adding in a statement that Republicans do “not need a bully as the speaker.”

The more speaker candidates that House Republicans swat away, the less optimistic anyone on the Hill is that the crisis will end soon.

Even so, multiple candidates are starting to raise their hands in the event that Jordan bows out — and some of his Freedom Caucus allies are simultaneously indicating they won’t support anyone else besides him. The alternative names circulating include Republican Study Committee Chair Rep. Kevin Hern (R-Okla.), Majority Whip Tom Emmer (R-Minn.), Rep. Mike Johnson (R-La.) and Rep. Tom Cole (R-Okla.).

Meanwhile, Rep. Troy Nehls (R-Texas) is publicly pitching an even more outlandish idea — naming former President Donald Trump speaker for 100 days.

It all points to the lack of an obvious escape for House Republicans from their self-inflicted pain. There’s no indication that anyone can get to the 217 votes needed to clinch the gavel, nor can a majority of them get behind boosting McHenry so they can act legislatively.

Rep. Kelly Armstrong (R-N.D.) said he’s argued that “I don’t think there is a single person in that room that can get 217 votes.” The person who is currently closest is someone who isn’t even in the race: McCarthy.

“People are starting to realize that Kevin McCarthy kept this thing together with duct tape and silly putty,” Armstrong added. “And it’s not as easy as they think.”
Threats to attack Matt Gaetz. Threats to the families of R's who aren't voting for Jordan.

This might get violent before the GOP fixes their mess.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

All this strikes me as a near-inevitable denouement to the Republican Clown Show. Unfortunately, there's never a good time for this sort of governmental melt-down.

There is a side of me that thinks some Republicans breaking away to support Jeffries is the only way out of this, but we all know there are a lot of Republicans who'd rather see this country burn than work with the "enemy". That sort of bipartisan partnership might finally break some of the hold the Rabid Right has on the government right now but it seems incredibly unlikely to occur. And if it did things would get violent because in the current atmosphere not all of those threats to legislators are idle, some of the whackos really do mean it.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice