WhiteHouse sics Hackers on ChatAI

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

WhiteHouse sics Hackers on ChatAI

Post by LadyTevar »

Why does the White House want Hackers tricking Chat AI?

TL:DR
DefCon 31 is happening, and the White House convinced "Meta, Google, OpenAI, Anthropic, Cohere, Microsoft, Nvidia and Stability" to open up their Chat AI to allow hackers to try to break their AI.
The organisers estimate that over two-and-a-half days, 3,000 people working alone at one of 158 laptops will each be given 50 minutes to try to find flaws in eight large language AI models.
Contestants will not know which company's model they are working with, although experienced ones might be able to guess. Completing a successful challenge earns points and the person with the highest overall total wins.

The prize is a powerful piece of computing kit, a graphics processing unit, but perhaps more important according to Dr Chowdhury will be the "bragging rights".
We all know White Hats and Black Hats love their Bragging Rights.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Re: WhiteHouse sics Hackers on ChatAI

Post by Elheru Aran »

I suspect the flip side of this is that this will end up giving these various companies more powerful and capable AI generation by closing up loopholes and such... which down the road, the government is betting, will be useful to it, in ways they may not currently be able to predict, but are very curious to find out.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Re: WhiteHouse sics Hackers on ChatAI

Post by LadyTevar »

Elheru Aran wrote: 2023-08-10 06:56pm I suspect the flip side of this is that this will end up giving these various companies more powerful and capable AI generation by closing up loopholes and such... which down the road, the government is betting, will be useful to it, in ways they may not currently be able to predict, but are very curious to find out.
Of course. It's win-win for the companies and the White House.

I just wonder what the results were. I'm sure there's commentary about it on websites where the "hats" gather.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet