Disney sidesteps DeSantis Board

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Re: Disney sidesteps DeSantis Board

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

And this is the guy who is supposed to be vying with Trump for the Republican presidential nomination? :shock: Unless there's a third contender it's going to be a case of which is the lesser of two evils? :lol:
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

DeSantis is fighting for the Trump flavoured Republican vote. Others like Nikki Haley are competing for the not-Trump vote.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Highlord Laan
Jedi Master
Location: Christo-fundie Theofascist Dominion of Nebraskistan

Post by Highlord Laan »

Gandalf wrote: 2023-05-02 09:23pm DeSantis is fighting for the Trump flavoured Republican vote. Others like Nikki Haley are competing for the not-Trump vote.
I would love it if the fascist ticket was split in 2024.

State side, I can only hope it gets worse over the next year. Pile on more and more until the fascists either get themselves voted out, or engage in such blatant manipulation and falsehood that they finally face active response.
Never underestimate the ingenuity and cruelty of the Irish.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

The lawyers will profit this year.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

AniThyng wrote: 2023-05-02 06:41am
bilateralrope wrote: 2023-04-30 02:29pm
For a moment, imagine a hypothetical where a corporation sues a governor over a law that they don't like. But, unlike Disney, the corporation doesn't have strong case. But they can outspend the governor if the governor is limited to their personal funds. Do you like that scenario ?

Because I don't. The only way I can see to prevent it is for the state to help pay for the defense. Even in cases where it's likely the corporation can win on the merits.
I'm surprised this isn't being commented on more, it does seem incredibly concerning that a corporation can sue a government official as an individual and not as the office holder! What am I missing?
Why is it concerning?

Government officials are still individual citizens. If their personal and individual actions cause harm to someone why shouldn't they be liable? A person should not be shielded from the consequences of their actions simply because they have a government job. Look at all the problems arising from giving police such immunity.

Of course, as always, the devil is in the details.

Could it be abused? Sure. Abusive lawsuits, or abusive amounts of lawsuits, are a thing. But that can happen regardless of whether or not there are corporations or government officials or private citizens involved or some combination.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Gandalf wrote: 2023-05-02 09:23pm DeSantis is fighting for the Trump flavoured Republican vote. Others like Nikki Haley are competing for the not-Trump vote.
I've never even heard of her. Nothing on the news about her.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Broomstick wrote: 2023-05-03 06:07am Why is it concerning?

Government officials are still individual citizens. If their personal and individual actions cause harm to someone why shouldn't they be liable? A person should not be shielded from the consequences of their actions simply because they have a government job. Look at all the problems arising from giving police such immunity.

Of course, as always, the devil is in the details.

Could it be abused? Sure. Abusive lawsuits, or abusive amounts of lawsuits, are a thing. But that can happen regardless of whether or not there are corporations or government officials or private citizens involved or some combination.
The problem comes when a large company sues the individual over actions they took as a government official, even when the company doesn't have a case. Because the company isn't planning to win on the merits of the case, they are planning to win by exhausting whatever money the individual government official is able to spend on the suit.

Government officials shouldn't be immune to a lawsuit over their wrongdoing. But, if the lawsuit came from them doing their job, they deserve to have the case decided on the merits. Not on whoever surrenders because they can't afford to continue fighting.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

The problem with that reasoning is; when people abuse their position of power, they are no longer acting as the office, but as an individual.

DeSantis is abusing his office, therefore he's acting as an individual.

They're suing him for abusing his office, not for doing his job.

I admit, that's a very muddy/gray area.

Fortunately, for Disney, DeSantis's own statement made it very clear his motives are personal.

From https://www.nytimes.com/article/disney- ... antis.html
Republican lawmakers in the state — including Mr. DeSantis, a potential candidate for president in 2024 — seized on Disney’s response. “If Disney wants to pick a fight, they chose the wrong guy,” Mr. DeSantis wrote in a fund-raising email to supporters.
Note - Not 'wrong issue', or 'wrong side', or even 'wrong state', but 'wrong guy'. i.e Mr. DeSantis himself.

For DeSantis, it's personnel fight. Therefore, every action taken under the order of Mr. DeSantis since that statement can be seen as him continuing his personal vendetta using his office.

That's a violation of conflict of interest at the least. At the worse, it's corruption and abuse of power.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Solauren wrote: 2023-05-03 09:30am The problem with that reasoning is; when people abuse their position of power, they are no longer acting as the office, but as an individual.

They're suing him for abusing his office, not for doing his job.

I admit, that's a very muddy/gray area.
Whatever rules you try and set for a government stepping up will get into messy situations like this. If you try to write rules to deal with them, you get two complications:
- You need to decide how much you want to risk both people who don't deserve the assistance getting it (eg, DeSantis) and how much you want to risk people who deserve the defense assistance not getting it.
- Someone will need to interpret those rules and make a decision on a case by case basis. Which, in this case, will likely be someone appointed by DeSantis.

So I see Florida stepping in to help defend DeSantis here as an unavoidable consequence of trying to get Florida to help any government official who deserves it.

It's going to come down to what Florida law currently is. Which I don't know.
Fortunately, for Disney, DeSantis's own statement made it very clear his motives are personal.
DeSantis will lose on the merits. Another reason why I'm not too concerned with him getting some assistance.

I also think the plausible outcome least damaging to DeSantis will be one where gets to claim that he only lost because he ran out of money.
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Solauren wrote: 2023-05-03 09:30am The problem with that reasoning is; when people abuse their position of power, they are no longer acting as the office, but as an individual.

Deciding whether that's true is part of the point of having a trial in the first place.
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

LadyTevar wrote: 2023-05-03 07:49am
Yeah, she announced a few weeks ago. Her biggest moment I think was calling for a competency test for all candidates over some age, which gets both Biden and Trump.

Realistically at this point it looks like she's running for veep, because I don't see how a campaign can sustain this from now until February without going full cult of personality like Trump.

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Gandalf wrote: 2023-05-03 10:15pm
LadyTevar wrote: 2023-05-03 07:49am
Yeah, she announced a few weeks ago. Her biggest moment I think was calling for a competency test for all candidates over some age, which gets both Biden and Trump.

Realistically at this point it looks like she's running for veep, because I don't see how a campaign can sustain this from now until February without going full cult of personality like Trump.
Isn't it unconstitutional to add extra conditions on who is allowed to run for president ?

Even before we get into the practical complications of who gets to interpret the test results.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

bilateralrope wrote: 2023-05-04 12:21am
Gandalf wrote: 2023-05-03 10:15pm
LadyTevar wrote: 2023-05-03 07:49am I've never even heard of her. Nothing on the news about her.

Isn't it unconstitutional to add extra conditions on who is allowed to run for president ?

Even before we get into the practical complications of who gets to interpret the test results.
Depends on the conditions.

Requiring a candidate to be of a particular religion would be unconstitutional, for example. Determining whether or not a candidate is fit (physically or mentally) may not be. Congress does have the authority to remove the current person who is PotUS, even if they have never done so for both political reasons and structural ones (it's hard to get that many votes).

If all else fails - constitutional amendment. Which isn't quick or easy, either.

I don't think mandating a fitness test would be an insurmountable obstacle, but I think at present there are too many old farts in Congress to get the necessary votes.

EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

What they failed to do was have a requirement for a candidate to have held public office prior to running for president, which would have kept Trump out of the White House.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

EnterpriseSovereign wrote: 2023-05-04 07:14pm What they failed to do was have a requirement for a candidate to have held public office prior to running for president, which would have kept Trump out of the White House.
You don't think he could have been Mayor somewhere if he'd thought he'd needed to?
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Indeed. There are towns with dogs and cats as mayors, and given that some positions are appointed as well as seats gerrymandered to absurdity, a political machine could just park him somewhere for a while.

So it's a pretty pointless bar.

- George Carlin
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

The cats and dogs probably were better at the job than Trump would've been.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Solauren wrote: 2023-05-04 07:20pm
EnterpriseSovereign wrote: 2023-05-04 07:14pm What they failed to do was have a requirement for a candidate to have held public office prior to running for president, which would have kept Trump out of the White House.
You don't think he could have been Mayor somewhere if he'd thought he'd needed to?
I doubt Trump's ability to go through that much trouble for long-term payoff.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Really?
All Trump would have had to do is pick a small town, arrange for a large scale construction project to create jobs, become Mayor, do the minimum time in office, and then resign to run for POTUS. 2 years of effort, max (as most of it would be handled by his underlings)

Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Making him subject to all sorts of public records and official conduct laws/regulations for years before embarking on a presidential run that I and a lot of other people still aren't convinced he ever expected to be successful.
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

Trump pretty clearly ran spur of the moment likely out of vengeance for Obama dunking on him after producing his birth certificate. If he had to fulfill a bunch of requirements first he probably wouldn't have done it.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Rogue 9 wrote: 2023-05-07 05:28pm Trump pretty clearly ran spur of the moment likely out of vengeance for Obama dunking on him after producing his birth certificate. If he had to fulfill a bunch of requirements first he probably wouldn't have done it.
I thought it was the Sharknado thing.
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

I don't think Trump has ever really said it, but a common thought is that the 2011 White House Correspondent's Dinner was the moment he decided to make a run at it.

They spent the whole night roasting the shit out of him, and Trump 2016 became a crusade against Obama.

- George Carlin
Khaat
Jedi Master

Post by Khaat »

Gandalf wrote: 2023-05-08 12:36am I don't think Trump has ever really said it, but a common thought is that the 2011 White House Correspondent's Dinner was the moment he decided to make a run at it.

They spent the whole night roasting the shit out of him, and Trump 2016 became a crusade against Obama.
It was also the ONLY WAY to shield himself from the prosecutions brewing since losing his dad's fixer. Everyone Trump hired for that position was just as bad at it as Trump is at anything. "All the best people!"
Rule #1: Believe the autocrat. He means what he says.
Rule #2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule #3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule #4: Be outraged.
Rule #5: Don’t make compromises.
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Gandalf wrote: 2023-05-08 12:36am I don't think Trump has ever really said it, but a common thought is that the 2011 White House Correspondent's Dinner was the moment he decided to make a run at it.

Was that the Comedy Central one that featured Marlee Matlin and Michael Sorrentino? Because he was in way over his head, they spent more time roasting each other than they did Trump.