Disney sidesteps DeSantis Board

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

bobalot
Jedi Council Member

Re: Disney sidesteps DeSantis Board

Post by bobalot »

The problem for DeSantis is that while his bigoted idoicy resonates in Florida, it's basically associated with Trumpism which makes him unpalatable to anybody who voted for Biden.

At the same time, his bigoted idiocy hasn't gone far enough for the hardcore Trump supporters.
"This statement, in its utterly clueless hubristic stupidity, cannot be improved upon. I merely quote it in admiration of its perfection." - Garibaldi

"Problem is, while the Germans have had many mea culpas and quite painfully dealt with their history, the South is still hellbent on painting themselves as the real victims. It gives them a special place in the history of assholes" - Covenant

"Over three million died fighting for the emperor, but when the war was over he pretended it was not his responsibility. What kind of man does that?'' - Saburo Sakai

Join SDN on Discord
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

bobalot wrote: 2023-04-07 08:57pm At the same time, his bigoted idiocy hasn't gone far enough for the hardcore Trump supporters.
I thought so too, but I've been told the polling is increasingly looking favorable to him vs Trump. I'm still skeptical that he can out-Trump Trump, but I didn't really expect Trump to be able to Trump his way into the White House either, so...
Dominus Atheos
Sith Marauder

Post by Dominus Atheos »

Ralin wrote: 2023-04-07 09:11pm
bobalot wrote: 2023-04-07 08:57pm At the same time, his bigoted idiocy hasn't gone far enough for the hardcore Trump supporters.
I thought so too, but I've been told the polling is increasingly looking favorable to him vs Trump. I'm still skeptical that he can out-Trump Trump, but I didn't really expect Trump to be able to Trump his way into the White House either, so...
You must not have checked in the past week or two, the big news is that desantis cratered:
A survey from The Economist and YouGov conducted between April 1 and April 4 shows Trump holds a 22-point lead in a hypothetical two-way race between the former President and Gov. Ron DeSantis, among registered GOP voters.
https://floridapolitics.com/archives/60 ... -desantis/

Slightly older poll from Fox News:

Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Dominus Atheos wrote: 2023-04-07 09:26pm You must not have checked in the past week or two, the big news is that desantis cratered:
Well that's something.
bobalot
Jedi Council Member

Post by bobalot »

If Trump manages to run again (court cases take time), it will probably end as well as the 2022 Midterms for the Republicans.
"This statement, in its utterly clueless hubristic stupidity, cannot be improved upon. I merely quote it in admiration of its perfection." - Garibaldi

"Problem is, while the Germans have had many mea culpas and quite painfully dealt with their history, the South is still hellbent on painting themselves as the real victims. It gives them a special place in the history of assholes" - Covenant

"Over three million died fighting for the emperor, but when the war was over he pretended it was not his responsibility. What kind of man does that?'' - Saburo Sakai

Join SDN on Discord
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

bobalot wrote: 2023-04-08 07:52am If Trump manages to run again (court cases take time), it will probably end as well as the 2022 Midterms for the Republicans.
Or do the exact opposite and rile up his base again despite years of them being desensitized.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

And DeSantis doubles down...

DeSantis threatens Taxes and Toll Roads
Florida's Governor Ron DeSantis has escalated his feud with Disney, threatening to impose taxes on its hotels and roads that lead to the theme park.

He also promised to strip the company of its control over development in a district that oversees its property.

"We are going to win on every single issue involving Disney," he announced at a speech in Michigan.

The threat is the latest in the state's ongoing dispute with the company.

Mr DeSantis is widely expected to run in the 2024 presidential election and is seen as a front-runner Republican candidate.

His dispute with the entertainment giant began when Disney criticised the state's Parental Rights in Education Act, dubbed by critics as the "Don't Say Gay" bill.

The measure bans education about sexual orientation and gender identity for pupils aged nine and under. Mr DeSantis has pushed to expand the legislation to cover all grades.

Since Disney expressed opposition to the policy, Mr DeSantis has pushed for more governmental control over its Orlando theme parks.

For over 50 years, the Walt Disney World territory operated within Florida's Reedy Creek Improvement District and essentially functioned as a self-governing area, controlling utilities and a fire department.

In a speech at conservative Hillsdale College in Michigan on Thursday, Mr DeSantis called Disney "a joke".

"They are not superior to the people of Florida," he said. "Ultimately, we're going to win on every single issue involving Disney, I can tell you that."

In February, Mr DeSantis signed a bill subjecting the company to more layers of oversight through a five-member state-appointed board.

But last week, the new board said its powers had been stymied by a last-minute agreement that gives the entertainment giant almost total control over development in the district in perpetuity or until "21 years after the death of the last survivor of the descendants of King Charles III, king of England".

Disney is "acting like somehow that they pulled one over on the state," Mr DeSantis said this week of the last-minute deal.

"But now that Disney has reopened this issue, we're not just going to void the development agreement they tried to do, we're going to look at things like taxes on the hotels, we're going to look at things like tolls on the roads," he said, adding the state would also look to develop property it owns near Disney.

The BBC has reached out to Disney for comment.

In a statement last week, the company - which is among Florida's largest employers - said all agreements signed between Disney and the district were "appropriate" and discussed and approved in "open, noticed public forums".

Earlier this week, during a meeting with shareholders, Disney CEO Bob Iger took aim at Mr DeSantis, calling his actions "anti-business" and "anti-Florida", and arguing the company had a "right to freedom of speech just like individuals do".
PLEASE NOTE, DESANTIS IS IN MICHIGAN WHILE SAYING THIS. NOT IN FLORIDA.
And I'm *sure* that FL residents near Disney are going to approve changing the roads they live on to TOLL ROADS.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
bobalot
Jedi Council Member

Post by bobalot »

More posturing.

He lost and is trying to save face.

It would be quite amusing if it wasn't for the fact that legions of idiots believe him.

Join SDN on Discord
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

bobalot wrote: 2023-04-08 07:52am If Trump manages to run again (court cases take time), it will probably end as well as the 2022 Midterms for the Republicans.
There is no legal bar to him running for political office, even that of the PotUS, while in the middle of a court case.

There is no legal bar to him running for political office as a convicted felon, for that matter, even if as a felon he would not be allowed to vote in the election in which he is running.

If you say that's whack I'd agree with you. I don't think it occurred to the guys writing the constitution that this sort of situation could come about.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Broomstick wrote: 2023-04-09 04:21am
There is no legal bar to him running for political office, even that of the PotUS, while in the middle of a court case.

There is no legal bar to him running for political office as a convicted felon, for that matter, even if as a felon he would not be allowed to vote in the election in which he is running.

If you say that's whack I'd agree with you. I don't think it occurred to the guys writing the constitution that this sort of situation could come about.
I know there's more than one Convicted Felon who's filed to Run for various positions, some from their jail cells. Never got anywhere with it.

What gets me most about DeSantis' latest ranting -- He's Not Saying It INSIDE Florida, he's damn near as far away as he can get. Which makes me wonder if he thought the news wouldn't spread to Floridians.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Ron DeSantis threatens prison near Disney theme park in latest retaliation
After being humiliated by its outgoing board, the Florida governor has hit upon another idea to punish the company

Richard Luscombe and agencies
Tue 18 Apr 2023 01.44 BST

Ron DeSantis has unveiled the latest act of retaliation against Disney for speaking out against his “don’t say gay” law: he’s threatening to build a new state prison next to the company’s central Florida theme parks.

The Republican governor dropped the suggestion at a hastily convened Monday lunchtime press conference, at which he laid out steps the state legislature would take to try to regain control over Florida’s largest private employer.

The move is the latest in an ongoing feud that began in March 2022 when Disney’s then chief executive Bob Chapek spoke out against a bill limiting discussion of sexuality and gender identity in Florida elementary school classrooms, dubbed the “don’t say gay” law.

DeSantis attempted to seize power over Disney in February by firing its controlling board and installing a handpicked board of Republican allies, including one who helped craft the education bill.

But the hard-right governor, a likely candidate for his party’s 2024 presidential nomination, found himself humiliated in March when it emerged that the outgoing board, in a final act of defiance, made an agreement to hand over control to the company itself.

Smarting from that move, DeSantis on Monday denounced the agreement as a legally unsound “sham”, and announced a new measure that would return control of the special district that is home to Disney World to a state oversight board run by the governor’s appointees.

Among other things, the new measures include passing authority for the inspection of theme park rides and transportation to the state, increasing Disney’s tax burden, and giving the newly constituted board the power to decide how to develop land adjacent to Disney’s theme parks. DeSantis suggested that the new board could take other actions with Disney’s 27,000 acres (10,926 hectares) in central Florida, such as building a state park, a competing theme park or a prison.

“I think the possibilities are endless,” DeSantis said.

Critics were quick to condemn DeSantis’s latest proposals. Brandon Wolf, press secretary for Equality Florida, said it was a “truly unhinged display of ego”.

State representative Anna Eskamani pointed out that areas of south Florida were still underwater from last week’s floods while DeSantis was creating “more Disney drama”.
Parts of Florida are underwater and DeSantis thinks it's more important to keep fighting against Disney. To keep reminding everyone that he can and will try to ruin your business if you say something he doesn't like.

Does he want to see Disney branded adds for his opponent at his next election ?
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

And the thing here is that more DeSantis pushes this, the more other companies the message "if you do something DeSantis doesn't like he'll try to essentially to care over your operations in Florida" which can mean other companies and not just Disney will start to think DeSantis is "bad for Business" and think of options of pulling out from Florida, which would not be good for the state economy.

Since in the end most companies will put profits first and open bigotry like what DeSantis is championing seems to be bad for business, sure the bigots will love you but everyone else thinks you're utterly toxic.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

As an outsider, it is delightfully ironic to see a Republican, the free-market loving, no-regulation, let-the-private-sector-do-what-they-want party, going to absurd lengths to punish a company that dares to question his batshit laws.

DeSantis does seem to be the epitome of the "only in Florida" memes. I wonder how long it'll be until some footage of him molesting a crocodile/alligator (I can't recall which one Florida has) comes to light.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Eternal_Freedom wrote: 2023-04-18 12:42pm I wonder how long it'll be until some footage of him molesting a crocodile/alligator (I can't recall which one Florida has) comes to light.
Florida has both.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

Broomstick wrote: 2023-04-18 03:33pm
Eternal_Freedom wrote: 2023-04-18 12:42pm I wonder how long it'll be until some footage of him molesting a crocodile/alligator (I can't recall which one Florida has) comes to light.
Florida has both.
Well there we go, I did learn something today after all.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

bilateralrope wrote: 2023-04-18 12:13am Ron DeSantis threatens prison near Disney theme park in latest retaliation
(snip)

Parts of Florida are underwater and DeSantis thinks it's more important to keep fighting against Disney. To keep reminding everyone that he can and will try to ruin your business if you say something he doesn't like.

Does he want to see Disney branded adds for his opponent at his next election ?
Personally, I think he's going to find that "little sham" he claims Disney pulled with the Board is no sham and is totally going to stand up in any Court of Law DeSantis wants to throw at them.

I also think, once again, all those people who own Vacation Homes and Resorts in and around Disney (without being PART of Disney) are going to have a lot to say about DeSantis putting a prison up near them. Just like they will if he goes through with the Toll Roads he suggested earlier this month.

TBH? I have no idea who he thinks he's impressing like this, especially since he's outright ignoring the flooding damage in his nearly literal backyard.

Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

Eternal_Freedom wrote: 2023-04-18 12:42pmAs an outsider, it is delightfully ironic to see a Republican, the free-market loving, no-regulation, let-the-private-sector-do-what-they-want party, going to absurd lengths to punish a company that dares to question his batshit laws.
Tyrants with their own cult of personality tend to break the left-right dichotomy, and that's what DeSantis is trying for even if he's not really succeeded yet.
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Disney Lawyers Are Done Playing, Sue Florida Gov. DeSantis
Ron DeSantis' culture war against Disney World, Reedy Creek, and its lawyers is heating up
By Zack Zwiezen
Published7 minutes ago

The ongoing war between Florida Governor Ron DeSantis and Disney is heading to court. Today, Disney and its army of lawyers filed a lawsuit against DeSantis and others over what it calls a “targeted campaign of government retaliation.” It’s the latest chapter in an ongoing war between the two.

On April 26, Disney filed a lawsuit in the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Florida. Florida Governor Ron DeSantis is directly named in the lawsuit as well as Merdieth Ivey, the Acting Secretary of Florida’s Department of Economic Opportunity, and the DeSantis-appointed members of the Walt Disney World special district oversight board. This was the same board that discovered last month that Disney and its lawyers had legally stripped the committee of most of its power before its first meeting, angering DeSantis and his cronies.

“Disney regrets that it has come to this,” said the company in the newly filed lawsuit. “But having exhausted efforts to seek a resolution, the Company is left with no choice but to file this lawsuit to protect its cast members, guests, and local development partners from a relentless campaign to weaponize government power against Disney in retaliation for expressing a political viewpoint unpopular with certain State officials.”

This is a developing story.
Congratulations DeSantis. You've earned the attention of Disney's lawyers.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Now, the question is, will DeSantis be smart and...
... not use state funds to hire lawyers to defend himself with. (after all, he's being sued as a person)
... not do anything to further piss off Disney.

The other question is, if DeSantis is stupid enough to use state funds to try to fight Disney, and the state runs out, what happens when Disney buys up all the states creditors, and then forecloses?

Could Disney actually end up owning Florida?
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Highlord Laan
Jedi Master
Location: Christo-fundie Theofascist Dominion of Nebraskistan

Post by Highlord Laan »

What I find hilarious is that even the undermined Supreme Court would consider this pretty cut and dry, much as Clarence, Fratboy and The Handmaiden would squirm about it.
Never underestimate the ingenuity and cruelty of the Irish.
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

I think the real question is what happens if DeSantis decides to ignore any court rulings against him, send the state police after Disney executives, etc.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Ralin wrote: 2023-04-26 08:33pm I think the real question is what happens if DeSantis decides to ignore any court rulings against him, send the state police after Disney executives, etc.
If he does that, I see Disney....

#1 - Having more armed guards then the state police.
#2 - Leaving the state, and taking Disney with them (thereby crippling Orlando at the very least).
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Park operations staff need to be on site, but I would think that the higher corporate offices could be anywhere.

Also, anyone worth arresting at Disney would have some solid legal representation.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

A quick Google says that Disney's head office is in California.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

bilateralrope wrote: 2023-04-27 12:33am A quick Google says that Disney's head office is in California.
Yep. The DisneyWorld park in Florida was the second park, built after DisneyLand in California. All of Disney's upper management are in California, where DeSantis can't do shit. He might try to have the State Police shut DisneyWorld down, but I would bet more on the State Police finding ways to ignore the order.

Now.
This begs the question -- does DeSantis *have* the personal income to fight the lawsuit without dipping into State Funds?
Because as soon as he starts using State Funds on a personal lawsuit, there's the little matter of the Taxpayers who might not want their money spent that way. His detractors could start screaming about "Misuse of Public Funds" (although I don't think that went anywhere when he shipped those Texas Migrants to DC on Florida's dime). And you know Disney's lawyers will be happy to question where his money is coming from, and point out they're not suing Florida, just him.

My thoughts?
Disney's got the better lawyers, a strong case over "targeted government retaliation over free speech", and enough money to keep this going for YEARS.
DeSantis on the other hand is on a time limit if he wants to be President, or even to re-run as Governor. He'd have to win the lawsuit quickly and decisively in his favor if he wants to keep his political career alive. Even getting Disney to agree to a Settlement isn't going to save his ass.