BREAK-IN AT PELOSI HOUSE

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

BREAK-IN AT PELOSI HOUSE

Post by LadyTevar »

Nancy Pelosi's Husband Assaulted During Home Invasion

The husband of US House of Representatives Speaker Nancy Pelosi has been "violently assaulted" after a break-in at their California home.

Paul Pelosi, 82, was taken to hospital and is expected to make a full recovery, a spokesperson said.

The suspect, who has not been named, is in custody but the motive for the attack is unclear.

Mrs Pelosi was not at the San Francisco residence when the incident took place on Friday morning.

"The Speaker and her family are grateful to the first responders and medical professionals involved, and request privacy at this time," a spokesman for the senior Democrat said.

The assailant used a hammer to gain entry to the home, two sources told CBS News, but it is unclear if it was used to attack Mr Pelosi.

Mrs Pelosi is one of the most powerful politicians in the country. She was re-elected to a fourth term as Speaker of the House of Representatives in 2021, making her second in line to the presidency after Vice-President Kamala Harris.

The Baltimore native has represented the San Francisco area in Congress since 1987, and typically splits her time between California and Washington.

She is currently fundraising and campaigning with Democrats around the country ahead of the midterm elections on 8 November, and was in Washington with her security detail at the time of the attack on Friday.

Her husband, the multimillionaire founder of a venture capital firm, resides primarily in San Francisco where he was born and raised.

The couple have been married since 1963 and have five children. Their combined net worth, primarily from Mr Pelosi's investments, has made the speaker one of the richest members of Congress.

The exact circumstances of the attack are unclear and it is not known how the intruder entered the couple's residence.

The FBI and the US Capitol Police, which has a field office in California, are assisting San Francisco police with the investigation.

Members of Congress have been on high-alert over security threats since last year's riot at the US Capitol. Mrs Pelosi's office in the building was ransacked by supporters of then-President Donald Trump during the attack.

And last year, her San Francisco home was reportedly vandalised with graffiti saying "cancel rent".

Senior Republicans, such as Senate Leader Mitch McConnell, have also been targeted by vandalism in recent times.

In a statement, the White House said President Joe Biden was "praying for Paul Pelosi and for Speaker Pelosi's whole family".

Chuck Schumer, the top Democrat in the Senate, said: "What happened to Paul Pelosi was a dastardly act. I wish him a speedy recovery."

Both added that they had spoken to Mrs Pelosi since the incident.

Earlier this year, Mr Pelosi was convicted of driving under the influence of alcohol and causing injury after he crashed his car. The financier pleaded guilty in August, and was sentenced to five days in jail.
TL:DR --
Paul Pelosi was attacked, possibly with a hammer, by a home invader whose motives are unclear. Suspect is in custody, Pelosi in hospital but expected to recover. No idea how the invader got access to the home.

MY OPINION --
We'll find out the suspect is a single young white male, with ties to Q-Anon or another Far-Right/Alt-Right group. He will be labelled "mentally unstable" and a "lone gunman", because of *course* no one encouraged him to harm Nancy Pelosi.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Re: BREAK-IN AT PELOSI HOUSE

Post by bilateralrope »

LadyTevar wrote: 2022-10-28 11:20am MY OPINION --
We'll find out the suspect is a single young white male, with ties to Q-Anon or another Far-Right/Alt-Right group. He will be labelled "mentally unstable" and a "lone gunman", because of *course* no one encouraged him to harm Nancy Pelosi.
Unless someone pokes Trump into talking about the attack.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

bilateralrope wrote: 2022-10-28 11:25am Unless someone pokes Trump into talking about the attack.
IIRC, Trump talked about hurting Pelosi back before Jan 6.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Khaat
Jedi Master

Post by Khaat »

Bannon has been making threats of violence/execution against Democrats in the media lately as well.
Rule #1: Believe the autocrat. He means what he says.
Rule #2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule #3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule #4: Be outraged.
Rule #5: Don’t make compromises.
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

LadyTevar wrote: 2022-10-28 11:40am
bilateralrope wrote: 2022-10-28 11:25am Unless someone pokes Trump into talking about the attack.
I was thinking about if someone could get Trump to congratulate the attacker. Maybe by just asking him what he thinks about the attack.
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

bilateralrope wrote: 2022-10-28 12:34pm
LadyTevar wrote: 2022-10-28 11:40am
I was thinking about if someone could get Trump to congratulate the attacker. Maybe by just asking him what he thinks about the attack.
Shouldn't be hard to find someone on Parler willing to do it. Interesting that this happened not long after Trump was ordered to testify regarding January 6 when Nancy Pelosi was present.
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

I thought Trump was mainly spending time on Truth Social now.

Parler is the currently smaller one that had to agree to tougher moderation to get back onto the Android and iPhone stores. Then got purchased by Ye this month.
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

bilateralrope wrote: 2022-10-28 02:07pm I thought Trump was mainly spending time on Truth Social now.

Parler is the currently smaller one that had to agree to tougher moderation to get back onto the Android and iPhone stores. Then got purchased by Ye this month.
The same Ye whose deal with Adidas was terminated because of his antisemitism. As if it wasn't enough of a cesspool before. :shock:
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

EnterpriseSovereign wrote: 2022-10-28 02:49pm
bilateralrope wrote: 2022-10-28 02:07pm I thought Trump was mainly spending time on Truth Social now.

The same Ye whose deal with Adidas was terminated because of his antisemitism. As if it wasn't enough of a cesspool before. :shock:
I think he decided to buy Parler after he got booted from Twitter for that antisemitism.

The people who owned Parler have been trying to offload it for a while. Truth Social had taken over it's niche as the place for the GQP to go when they get banned from Twitter.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

LadyTevar wrote: 2022-10-28 11:20am TL:DR --
Paul Pelosi was attacked, possibly with a hammer, by a home invader whose motives are unclear. Suspect is in custody, Pelosi in hospital but expected to recover. No idea how the invader got access to the home.

MY OPINION --
Closer to middle-aged than young, assailant is 42 years old and named David Depape. He apparently was also injured in the attack. I'm not clear if that was a result of Mr. Pelosi defendng himself or the police doing a pile-on tackle of Depape. Depape apparently used a hammer on Mr. Pelosi in front of the police after the police arrived at the home. Also apparently was demanding "Where's Nancy? Where's Nancy?" He is being charged with, among other things, attempted homicide.

Mr. Pelosi required surgery. His injuries included a skull fracture and what were described as "serious" injuries to his hands and right arm (probably defense injuries).

Apparently the attacker was a fan of various conspiracy theories.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
muse
Jedi Council Member

Post by muse »

On the bright side, he wasn't picking up DUIs and running people over after getting hammered last night.
ø¤ º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur.
(Whatever is said in Latin sounds profound.)

I like Celine Dion myself. Her ballads alone....they make me go all teary-eyed and shit.
- Havok
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

(Reads)

And this is why I think stuff like that needs to be reported and investigated by the police. The guy should have been on watch lists and the like.

Oh well. Unfortunately, there is insufficient manpower needed to actually police all that.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Also the police tend to be pretty big fans themselves.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

muse wrote: 2022-10-28 05:59pm On the bright side, he wasn't picking up DUIs and running people over after getting hammered last night.
So, this means he deserved to have a mentally-disturbed Q-Anon follower break into his house and try to kill him and his wife?

I think the answer to that is "NO, we should not Victim-Blame, because a DUI has nothing to do with a Deranged Person trying to Kill You because of your Wife's Politics."

About that Deranged Person:
Ok, he was 20yrs older than I thought he would be, but I was dead-on about being a Conspiracy Nut. Not just Q-Anon, but the Pillow Guy as well. I have to wonder what set him off. How'd he find their house, how'd he get into the yard to break in.

Also, the story notes that Pelosi made a stealthy 911 call, and the 911 caller saw the name, heard the conversation, and sent police immediately. Makes me wonder if the Pelosis had any kind of protection on the house at all. :(

Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

I think that was more for the sake of a lame and rather tasteless pun than victim-blaming per se, but anyway.

And I wouldn't be surprised if the perpetrator really was mentally ill, incidentally. QAnon and the like are not the political affiliations of the sane and mentally healthy, unless you're just in it for the notoriety and/or an excuse to bully people.
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Zaune wrote: 2022-10-29 12:37pm I think that was more for the sake of a lame and rather tasteless pun than victim-blaming per se, but anyway.

And I wouldn't be surprised if the perpetrator really was mentally ill, incidentally. QAnon and the like are not the political affiliations of the sane and mentally healthy, unless you're just in it for the notoriety and/or an excuse to bully people.
I read the linked article about him. If even 1/4 of the red flags people noted over the years had been reported, he'd have been on a watch list at least, if not involuntarily commited to a mental-health facility.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

At the beginning of the week I saw this documentary, one of the takeaways was an increasing number of people believing the USA was on the brink of civil war along party lines. It made me wonder what would tip the country over the edge, some idiot trying to assassinate the speaker of the house is a good way to do it.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

EnterpriseSovereign wrote: 2022-10-29 08:30pm At the beginning of the week I saw this documentary, one of the takeaways was an increasing number of people believing the USA was on the brink of civil war along party lines. It made me wonder what would tip the country over the edge, some idiot trying to assassinate the speaker of the house is a good way to do it.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caning_of_Charles_Sumner

Even after that, it took almost ten years for the actual civil war to happen.

Escalation? Absolutely. But until whole-ass states start flipping tables, there's not going to be a war.

Now, attempted popular uprisings by the likes of the Proud Boys and the Three Percenters are another matter...
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Even so, there are some disturbing parallels between that time and now.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Broomstick wrote: 2022-10-30 04:19am Even so, there are some disturbing parallels between that time and now.
Yep. And there is a very vocal minority that is pushing hard to have that War, just as in the past.

Raw Shark
Stunt Driver / Babysitter

Post by Raw Shark »

LadyTevar wrote: 2022-10-28 11:20am

And last year, her San Francisco home was reportedly vandalised with graffiti saying "cancel rent".
I don't know if Ms. Pelosi was responsible, but RENT has in fact not toured since 2021...

"Do I really look like a guy with a plan? Y'know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it! Y'know, I just do things..." --The Joker
Col. Crackpot
That Obnoxious Guy

Post by Col. Crackpot »

Raw Shark wrote: 2022-10-30 04:39pm
LadyTevar wrote: 2022-10-28 11:20am

I don't know if Ms. Pelosi was responsible, but RENT has in fact not toured since 2021...
I award you 525,600 internet points. 525,600 reasons to laugh.
"This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we’ll be lucky to live through it.” -Tom Clancy
Zwinmar
Jedi Master

Post by Zwinmar »

LadyTevar wrote: 2022-10-30 12:30pm
Broomstick wrote: 2022-10-30 04:19am Even so, there are some disturbing parallels between that time and now.
Yep. And there is a very vocal minority that is pushing hard to have that War, just as in the past.
At this point I am truly afraid that it is inevitable. I do not see a path were the right doesn't attack whoever they think opposes them. I think historians will look back and mark the official start was January 6th with it getting hot here in a couple weeks. Just note, I sincerely hope that I am very wrong. I have seen war and what it does, I do not want it.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Zwinmar wrote: 2022-11-01 11:00am
At this point I am truly afraid that it is inevitable. I do not see a path were the right doesn't attack whoever they think opposes them. I think historians will look back and mark the official start was January 6th with it getting hot here in a couple weeks. Just note, I sincerely hope that I am very wrong. I have seen war and what it does, I do not want it.
Only the insane want this war. They've convinced themselves it's the only way to HAVE IT THEIR WAY. They will not word it like that. They talk of The South Rising, they talk of Making America Great, they say it will make things better for everyone (everyone White), but it's just excuses. I don't think they even realize how deluded they are. I don't think they realize starting a war does not make them Big Damn Heroes.

Tribble
Sith Devotee

Post by Tribble »

Zwinmar wrote: 2022-11-01 11:00am

For Republicans it’s a win/win/win/win. If they succeed in gaining majorities and continuing to eliminate voting rights via court cases, it’s increasingly likely they will establish their desired fascist regime. If they lose elections and/or their court cases are thwarted, that’s all the justification they need to resort to violence, since to them Democratic votes are illegitimate to begin with. If Democrats don’t resort to violence in response, they will be wiped out. If Democrats do respond with violence, then the Republicans will view their own violence as totally justified.

And while the Republican population is fewer in number than Democrats, they are more likely to be armed and more likely to be willing to resort to a violence when it comes down to it.

As others have stated it may boil down to which side the bulk of the military / police throws its support behind. IMO those who join those forces are more likely to be conservative than liberal minded though that’s not a hard rule.

Unfortunately when a significant part of the population openly desires to torture, jail, exile and/or kill their perceived enemies it makes it rather difficult to de escalate.
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - The official Troll motto, as stated by Adam Savage