Nancy Pelosi arrives in Taiwan despite retaliation warnings from China

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

PainRack
Emperor's Hand

Re: Nancy Pelosi arrives in Taiwan despite retaliation warnings from China

Post by PainRack »

Ralin wrote: 2022-08-06 11:03pm
Dominus Atheos wrote: 2022-08-06 10:56pm Taiwan has been used as a cheap "nationalism button" for the chicoms to distract from their internal problems for too long, they may not be able to avoid going to war even if they want to.
The government of China, well known for its inability to disregard popular opinion.
Yes.

https://www.reuters.com/world/china/aft ... 022-07-08/

After just social media protest , Beijing immediately flipped on its vaccine mandate to enter crowded areas after a mere 3 days it started.

The problem with Taiwan is that the PRC/CCP has staked it's legitimacy on confirming China sovereignty. It can't be seen to 'lose" because of that nationalist bent it flamed, so as to avoid the whole massed suffering converting from communism to capitalism has inflicted on China in the 80s-90s. The loss of benefits, employment, the endorsement of China robber barons and the damage it done is all tolerated because China is now Strong again. People seem to forget that Tiananmen square happened because switching to capitalism caused a LOT of suffering, with corruption amongst elites giving them a headstart in the new economy. They believed democracy will cure such ills .

As for Biden, it's true that Blinken sees China as a competitor which must be contained/defeated. The rheoteric is unmistakable to anyone.

We can easily flip this to a Rising Germany vs existing super power and the clashes that occurred. It requires deft diplomacy to avoid a war then.

Guess what? Neither China nor US has a Bismarck to avoid war and with regards to Blinken and China Foreign ministry? There's a LOT of Kaiser level stupidity that can cause things to go south rapidly.
Let him land on any Lyran world to taste firsthand the wrath of peace loving people thwarted by the myopic greed of a few miserly old farts- Katrina Steiner
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

PainRack wrote: 2022-08-08 08:55pm
Yes.

After just social media protest , Beijing immediately flipped on its vaccine mandate to enter crowded areas after a mere 3 days it started.
Eh. It wasn't a particularly necessary policy, and one that didn't fit the overall national ones. Also wow, they've been allowing you to go a whole 72 hours in Beijing?

Anyway, these challenges are pointless. When 'Fuck Taiwan province' riots start breaking out I might buy it. Until then it's just vapor about a country that hasn't had a war since the 80s.
PainRack
Emperor's Hand

Post by PainRack »

Ralin wrote: 2022-08-08 11:23pm
PainRack wrote: 2022-08-08 08:55pm
Yes.

Eh. It wasn't a particularly necessary policy, and one that didn't fit the overall national ones. Also wow, they've been allowing you to go a whole 72 hours in Beijing?

Anyway, these challenges are pointless. When 'Fuck Taiwan province' riots start breaking out I might buy it. Until then it's just vapor about a country that hasn't had a war since the 80s.
I'm sorry, how does this show Beijing isn't receptive to public sentiment when anti vaccine mandate protests forced a reversion of a policy a mere 3 days later ?
Let him land on any Lyran world to taste firsthand the wrath of peace loving people thwarted by the myopic greed of a few miserly old farts- Katrina Steiner
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

PainRack wrote: 2022-08-09 02:15am I'm sorry, how does this show Beijing isn't receptive to public sentiment when anti vaccine mandate protests forced a reversion of a policy a mere 3 days later ?
I don't deny that they respond to public sentiment. I think they have a lot of ability to disregard it if they believe it's necessary. The vaccine mandate in question wasn't very well thought out and wasn't really necessary. Not going into an avoidable war that will cause widespread suffering is rather a bigger deal. And what are angry people going to do; vote a new administration in to do it?
Spice Runner
Jedi Knight

Post by Spice Runner »

Zwinmar wrote: 2022-08-06 12:17pm I have friends that live in Taiwan, China can suck it. They have been aggressively trying to loophole their way into more territory for years in the South China Sea by creating islands and slowly moving the border with India, just like trump did with the sharpie. Not to mention their ongoing genocide and imperialistic crap they are pulling with all their neighbors: Tibet and India to name a couple.
India blames China and China blames India for hostility along the Ladakh/ Tibet border clash in 2020. There has been a policy of unarmed troops thus the incident of Indian and Chinese troops beating each other black and blue with clubs and sticks. But now that has changed.

But now there are tanks, mechanized troop carriers. missiles, choppers and other modern war machinery being kept at the borders by both sides

The Indian government having to show it's nationalist credentials has initiated an unprecedented (in Indian history) arms and infrastructure buildup along the border with China though there is still much economic and trade ties which a India can't simply delink from the Chinese industrial chain (lots of industrial products needed for the Indian manufacturing and economy are sourced from China) though as hard as they are trying.
PainRack
Emperor's Hand

Post by PainRack »

Ralin wrote: 2022-08-09 05:37am
PainRack wrote: 2022-08-09 02:15am I'm sorry, how does this show Beijing isn't receptive to public sentiment when anti vaccine mandate protests forced a reversion of a policy a mere 3 days later ?
I don't deny that they respond to public sentiment. I think they have a lot of ability to disregard it if they believe it's necessary. The vaccine mandate in question wasn't very well thought out and wasn't really necessary. Not going into an avoidable war that will cause widespread suffering is rather a bigger deal. And what are angry people going to do; vote a new administration in to do it?
As we all know, Xi Jin Peng used public sentiment against corruption and tied himself to that ideology to sweep into power.

As you should know, a rival politician could easily use such nationalist sentiment to try and get into power, so to secure his power and legacy, Xi Jin Peng might we'll be forced to escalate which can lead into war.

Afterall, WW1 was an avoidable war with severe suffering, no ? And the Austrian Hungary Monarchy aren't vulnerable to elections no ?
Spice Runner
Jedi Knight

Post by Spice Runner »

PainRack wrote: 2022-08-09 08:57pm
Ralin wrote: 2022-08-09 05:37am
As we all know, Xi Jin Peng used public sentiment against corruption and tied himself to that ideology to sweep into power.

As you should know, a rival politician could easily use such nationalist sentiment to try and get into power, so to secure his power and legacy, Xi Jin Peng might we'll be forced to escalate which can lead into war.

Afterall, WW1 was an avoidable war with severe suffering, no ? And the Austrian Hungary Monarchy aren't vulnerable to elections no ?
You have nailed it. The more I think about it, the more it seems the current world situation resembles Europe in the early 20th century 1890 - 1913 with power politics and rivalries between the super power and those challenging it
ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

The long history of revolutions in China against autocratic leadership should show people that public sentiments is absolutely crucial even for dictatorships there.
Humans are such funny creatures. We are selfish about selflessness, yet we can love something so much that we can hate something.
Highlord Laan
Jedi Master
Location: Christo-fundie Theofascist Dominion of Nebraskistan

Post by Highlord Laan »

Given the fun Winnie the Xi is having with China's economy with more to come, I think he may have more to worry about than flipping the middle kingdon's flaccid dick around trying to look good.
Never underestimate the ingenuity and cruelty of the Irish.
PainRack
Emperor's Hand

Post by PainRack »

[
Highlord Laan wrote: 2022-08-10 06:23am Given the fun Winnie the Xi is having with China's economy with more to come, I think he may have more to worry about than flipping the middle kingdon's flaccid dick around trying to look good.
Odd. The same can be said for the US and here they are doing it to look good.

Afterall, nations has never miscalculated and started a war to distract from bad economies before, right Argentina ?

It's strange how actual experts are going the fiction of Taiwan status is fraying due to US/Chinese politics and this will lead to repeated confrontations over the years.

And all it takes then is a miscalculation, a mistake or even just an accident and well..... An armed conflict will put an end to the International Order as it exists right now.

.don't really wanna live in "interesting" times. Climate change is enough of a crisis as it is without Great Power Politics actually fucking the entire human species over.
Exonerate
Sith Marauder

Post by Exonerate »

China revises white paper on Taiwan, clawing back potential terms for reunification. Another Congressional delegation visits Taiwan, triggering a predictable response.

As a long time observer, all I can say is the hawks won - the US/China and China/Taiwan relationships are now locked in a mutually escalatory dynamic. Unfortunately, I think the KMT basically has no real identity to coalesce around and their traditional electorate is aging out with no replacement in sight so the DPP with their poke-the-panda-then-cry-foul behavior is poised to dominate politics.

BoTM, MM, HAB, JL
PainRack
Emperor's Hand

Post by PainRack »

Exonerate wrote: 2022-08-17 06:13pm China revises white paper on Taiwan, clawing back potential terms for reunification. Another Congressional delegation visits Taiwan, triggering a predictable response.

As a long time observer, all I can say is the hawks won - the US/China and China/Taiwan relationships are now locked in a mutually escalatory dynamic. Unfortunately, I think the KMT basically has no real identity to coalesce around and their traditional electorate is aging out with no replacement in sight so the DPP with their poke-the-panda-then-cry-foul behavior is poised to dominate politics.
The DPP has the right and ability to go we inching towards independence.

The problem is more the US vs China dynamic being confrontational. Trump was merely the symptom there.

It's the traditional rising power vs existing superpower all over again.

The worst part here is that Xi Jin ping IS the dove. Taiwan reunification is the traditional red line but with regards to Hu and etc, Xi goal was to use "diplomacy" with China economy to weave together a sphere of influence, be it in the South Pacific, to use her economic influence to batter down bilateral discussions on the SCS territorial disputes or Africa development.

Escalation is merely proving the Wolf Warriors right and may cause a rapid miscalculation in the future

For example
https://www.channelnewsasia.com/asia/ch ... ty-2887486
The US announces it would start trade talks directly with Taiwan.

China immediately steps in to say no.

And we can expect a new round of escalation to happen again and all it take is another fighter jet collision and voila.....
Spice Runner
Jedi Knight

Post by Spice Runner »

Let's hope we have an American President like Kennedy who can say no to the military hawks (like during 1962) and someone similar in China.
His Divine Shadow
Commence Primary Ignition

Post by His Divine Shadow »

Interesting podcast with Mark Blyth, aroud 20 minutes in they touch in Pelosis visit and Chinas reaction:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UK0cdhAQAzE
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who did not.