Nichelle Nichols (Lt. Uhura) Has Passed Away

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Nichelle Nichols (Lt. Uhura) Has Passed Away

Post by Broomstick »

Nichelle Nichols, who play Lt. Uhura, has passed away at 89 of what her son said was "natural causes".

Nichols, for all that she complained of doing nothing other than "opening hailing frequencies", served as an inspiration to women and people of color. When she considered quitting the show Martin Luther King, Jr. encouraged her to stay, saying she did more than she realized just by being on the bridge. Indeed, she helped NASA recruit woman and minorities into the astronaut corps and Mae Jemison, first woman of African descent to go into space (and later a Star Trek extra in The Next Generation) stated Ms. Nichols was a major inspiration for her career choice in life.

She will be missed.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Re: Nichelle Nichols (Lt. Uhura) Has Passed Away

Post by Crazedwraith »

RIP

An inspiration and a go to example of why representation in media is important.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

So what if she was just the girl minding the phone(which she wasn't BTW?) She was the BLACK girl minding the phone ON THE BRIDGE OF THE BLOODY FEDERATION FLAGSHIP! Which in those bad old days likely meant a lot.
Another great one goes to the great beyond. She will be missed.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

Sad news indeed, I'm surprised this wasn't bigger news.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

EnterpriseSovereign wrote: 2022-07-31 07:42pm Sad news indeed, I'm surprised this wasn't bigger news.
It was in the BBC, and damn near every third post I've seen on FB the last 24 has been some kind of announcement or tribute to her.

And while yes, Uhura was mostly Communications, wasn't it in Balance of Terror that she took over Weapons Console when they had to send someone down to repair the phaser bank?
Someone mentioned it recently, and I had to look it up. There was no big deal made out of it -- the Weapons guy leaves and Uhura moves to take his place. Sulu gave her a nod after she sat down and they went on with running the ship. Hell, I dont' think Kirk even said anything to her before she moved to take over.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Actually, Kirk explicitly tells her to (and calls the station 'navigation' for some reason) but nobody bats an eye at it.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

LadyTevar wrote: 2022-08-01 01:45pm
EnterpriseSovereign wrote: 2022-07-31 07:42pm Sad news indeed, I'm surprised this wasn't bigger news.
It was in the BBC, and damn near every third post I've seen on FB the last 24 has been some kind of announcement or tribute to her.

And while yes, Uhura was mostly Communications, wasn't it in Balance of Terror that she took over Weapons Console when they had to send someone down to repair the phaser bank?
Someone mentioned it recently, and I had to look it up. There was no big deal made out of it -- the Weapons guy leaves and Uhura moves to take his place. Sulu gave her a nod after she sat down and they went on with running the ship. Hell, I dont' think Kirk even said anything to her before she moved to take over.
It must have happened too late for the news agencies to report on it yesterday, ITV did a piece on her in today's news, mentioning that she was in a NASA recruitment video in the 70's. And it was somewhat overshadowed by our team winning UEFA Women's Euro 2022 yesterday evening :mrgreen:
Batman wrote: 2022-08-01 02:26pm Actually, Kirk explicitly tells her to (and calls the station 'navigation' for some reason) but nobody bats an eye at it.
I'd been meaning to watch "Balance of Terror" again, now I have another reason :mrgreen:
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Batman wrote: 2022-08-01 02:26pm Actually, Kirk explicitly tells her to (and calls the station 'navigation' for some reason) but nobody bats an eye at it.
Yes, I found and posted the Meme that pointed that out. Stiles was excused, Kirk gave Uhura the order, and there was nothing else said, just a lingering camera moment as she took her place, exactly as if she'd been a White Male Military Officer told to take over.
But, in the 1960s, where there were no Black Female Military Officers ... it was HUGE
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Darth Yan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Yan »

RIP Uhura.
Juubi Karakuchi
Jedi Knight

Post by Juubi Karakuchi »

The stars are going out.

Farewell Uhura. And Thoth-Kopeira.