'Hero' bystander shoots dead man who killed three at US shopping centre.

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Zwinmar
Jedi Master

Re: 'Hero' bystander shoots dead man who killed three at US shopping centre.

Post by Zwinmar »

A Tackleberry is someone who is a trigger happy, gun nut, with no regard for safety. They have to have the biggest caliber handgun they can afford and they are always looking for a reason to use them, usually synonymous with a 'tacticool' idiot. It gets worse when they have a Barney Fife ineptitude, over analytics, and alarmism.
MKSheppard
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger

Post by MKSheppard »

Zaune wrote: 2022-07-21 04:45amSo, should I infer from this that American cops think that anyone who puts in more than the bare minimum of marksmanship training required by department regulations...
It's not just firearms. Have extra flashlights? Extra first aid gear? Maybe you take an extra first aid course beyond the minimum requirement...

That's enough to get you marked as a Tackleberry.
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

I would really like to know where you get this information.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

It should be pointed out about the actual Tackleberry:
Tackleberry is a veteran of the US Military and was a security guard prior to joining the police academy. He joined the police force to see more action, but has a poor grasp of the difference between the military and civilian life, using military manners in civilian situations. Tackleberry is trigger-happy; a tendency which would have had him court-martialed long ago had it not been for the fact that he actually has good aim. In the second film, he's assigned to motorcycle duty and meets his new partner, Sgt. Kathleen Kirkland (played by Colleen Camp), who is the beautiful, female trigger-happy officer of his dreams. After seeing her use a machine gun, he falls in love with her. He confides in Mahoney, revealing that he's 28 years old and still a virgin.
MKSheppard

Post by MKSheppard »

Broomstick wrote: 2022-07-22 04:19am I would really like to know where you get this information.
It's not that hard. Read gun forums and police sites.

LINK TO ONE SUCH ARTICLE

Link to another such article
Back in my academy days, I was quickly called Tackleberry by my classmates. They often made fun of me because I always had extras of everything. They laughed until it was low light training day at the range and they didn’t even own a flashlight.
Anyway; some more information (unsourced) has emerged from posters on arfcom:

The bad guy emerged from a 30 foot long hallway leading to the bathrooms and opened fire with his AR on a family. The male family member was carrying a concealed handgun but was killed immediately.

Dicken was eating lunch at a table about 40 yds away across the food court when all this started going down. He got up and stood next to a concrete column, leaning against it to use it both as cover and a brace for aiming.

He opened fire at 40~ yds with 2 rounds and scored 2 hits.

Bad guy does not immediately drop, and starts retreating into the hallway to bathrooms.

Dickens closes the distance to about 20~ yards and resumes firing with a barrage of more shots.

Pauses, then closes again to 10~ yards and dumps a few more rounds.

Sight picture for the initial engagement was roughly this (red X is the hallway)

"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

And all that happened in FIFTEEN SECONDS?

Bullshit.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Spice Runner
Jedi Knight

Post by Spice Runner »

MKSheppard wrote: 2022-07-23 11:11am
Broomstick wrote: 2022-07-22 04:19am I would really like to know where you get this information.
It's not that hard. Read gun forums and police sites.

LINK TO ONE SUCH ARTICLE

Link to another such article
Back in my academy days, I was quickly called Tackleberry by my classmates. They often made fun of me because I always had extras of everything. They laughed until it was low light training day at the range and they didn’t even own a flashlight.
Anyway; some more information (unsourced) has emerged from posters on arfcom:

The bad guy emerged from a 30 foot long hallway leading to the bathrooms and opened fire with his AR on a family. The male family member was carrying a concealed handgun but was killed immediately.

Dicken was eating lunch at a table about 40 yds away across the food court when all this started going down. He got up and stood next to a concrete column, leaning against it to use it both as cover and a brace for aiming.

He opened fire at 40~ yds with 2 rounds and scored 2 hits.

Bad guy does not immediately drop, and starts retreating into the hallway to bathrooms.

Dickens closes the distance to about 20~ yards and resumes firing with a barrage of more shots.

Pauses, then closes again to 10~ yards and dumps a few more rounds.

Sight picture for the initial engagement was roughly this (red X is the hallway)

That is some crazy reflexes for that guy.
MKSheppard

Post by MKSheppard »

LadyTevar wrote: 2022-07-23 12:14pm And all that happened in FIFTEEN SECONDS?

Bullshit.
They know the sequence of timing (15~ seconds from start to end) because the food court was under video surveillance, and they can count frames on the video and read the time stamp.

Cops didn't arrive until approximately 11 minutes later.

I also went and measured a rough approximation of distances using google maps interior map for the mall:

Distances change depending on where you assume Dickens was sitting for lunch; but the figure I'm seeing of 42 yards for first shot (126 ft / 38m) is plausible.

EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

Some quick Googling suggests that the effective range of a pistol tops out at about 50 yards, without knowing the exact model Glock he used it cannot be narrowed down more, which makes what this guy did more impressive if he was 2 for 2. I do have to wonder how his mental health might have been affected by this, going forward.
Zwinmar
Jedi Master

Post by Zwinmar »

EnterpriseSovereign wrote: 2022-07-23 11:40pm Some quick Googling suggests that the effective range of a pistol tops out at about 50 yards, without knowing the exact model Glock he used it cannot be narrowed down more, which makes what this guy did more impressive if he was 2 for 2. I do have to wonder how his mental health might have been affected by this, going forward.
Nah, the effective range is determined by the shooter. A glock is able to hit a mansized target in excess of 100 yards, hell I have hit a water bottle at 75 yards with a 2'inch .357 revolver. While its not probable for an average shooter to do it that does not mean that it can't be done, keep in mind I have had people tell me that you can't hit a target with an 5.56 AR past 300 and Marines have to hit at 500 just to graduate, in my day it was with iron sights now they use optics.
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

People who think a rifle can't hit a target past 300 yards have no idea what the fuck they're talking about. :lol:
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Yeah there's a world of difference between "average shooter cannot be expected to hit beyond this range under combat conditions" versus "it's literally impossible for this weapon type to hit things beyond this range", while there is a max effective range determined by the construction and type or weapon it generally is much, much longer then people think and more often then not the actual effective range is also much shorter due the shooter.

Most numbers for effective ranges you'll find in the internet are most likely the "average shooter under combat conditions" since military and law enforcement organizations would be ones most likely to care about effective ranges and they'll have to assume they're shooting at people who'll shoot back.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Rogue 9 wrote: 2022-07-24 10:00am People who think a rifle can't hit a target past 300 yards have no idea what the fuck they're talking about. :lol:
Whenever I hear that I start giggling. Hell, there's TV Hunting Shows where they're in a tree stand and hitting targets at 500yds.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet