Jan 6 Committee Public Hearing June 9th

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Jan 6 Committee Public Hearing June 9th

Post by LadyTevar »

Details on First Public Hearing
Jan. 6 committee reveals details of first public hearing in Capitol riot probe
The hearing will illustrate "the coordinated, multi-step effort to overturn the results of the 2020 presidential election," the panel said.

The House committee investigating the Jan. 6 riot released new details Thursday about its first hearing, scheduled to kick off in prime time on June 9.

"The committee will present previously unseen material documenting January 6th, receive witness testimony, preview additional hearings, and provide the American people a summary of its findings about the coordinated, multi-step effort to overturn the results of the 2020 presidential election and prevent the transfer of power," the panel said.

Additional information about witnesses will be released next week, the committee said.

The hearing, scheduled to start at 8 p.m. ET, is expected to focus on former President Donald Trump's role in the violence that unfolded at the Capitol during the official counting of the Electoral College votes before a joint session of Congress on Jan. 6, 2021. In a civil court filing in March, the House committee argued it has “a good-faith basis for concluding that [Trump] and members of his Campaign engaged in a criminal conspiracy to defraud the United States.”

The panel's chairman, Rep. Bennie Thompson, D-Miss., has said the hearings will include testimony from witnesses “we’ve not heard from before.”
It will FOCUS on PRESIDENT TRUMP'S ROLE.
Well Well Well...
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Re: Jan 6 Committee Public Hearing June 9th

Post by LadyTevar »

More details from NPR:

NPR Coverage

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

I'm keen to see how this all unfolds, especially within each party. Whether anything new really comes out is irrelevant unless it's really eye catching, but each side gets their time to perform.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

So.

They came out and said it -- TRUMP DID IT.

Now what?

Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

LadyTevar wrote: 2022-06-10 11:13am
Now what?
Nothing much, probably. What are they going to do, arrest Trump?
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

I wish....!

I do think they are legal grounds to do so, and no legal obstacles to arresting and prosecuting a former PotUS for any crimes he might have committed.

The problem, of course, is him still having lots of heavily armed followers.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Broomstick wrote: 2022-06-11 04:45am I wish....!

I do think they are legal grounds to do so, and no legal obstacles to arresting and prosecuting a former PotUS for any crimes he might have committed.

Indeed, but this seems like an issue best solved before it gets worse. Trump skating will embolden his fanatics, which the next far right leader will use to go further. A bolder far right in the US will embolden others elsewhere.

When the Trump phase of the US far right started, and we started to see more actual Nazis, some people said they liked their Nazis out in the open, so we could see them and react accordingly. Now appears to be the last real chance to act accordingly before the next one comes along.

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

Broomstick wrote: 2022-06-11 04:45amI wish....!

Good thing the Department of Defence spent a couple of trillion dollars learning everything there is to know about how not to conduct successful counterinsurgency operations, I suppose.

In all seriousness, I don't see any outcome to this that doesn't end in trouble kicking off. Trump gets jail time, his fanclub collectively shits a brick and tries to start another War of Southern Aggression. Trump wriggles out of it, his fanclub consider themselves vindicated and the Republicans abandon any semblance of restraint or good faith until they cross a line that drives bits of the army to start taking sides.
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Zaune wrote: 2022-06-11 02:05pmTrump gets jail time, his fanclub collectively shits a brick and tries to start another War of Southern Aggression

Them actually doing that and unambigiously making themselves targets to get their faces kicked in by otherwise sympathetic police and military might be an improvement in many ways. I don't expect most of them to have the motivation, skills and physical fitness to have much success at being insurgents.
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

You might be right, but even a failed insurgency is going to be ugly. It doesn't take much skill and physical fitness to walk through a park or a flea market or a school firing an AR-15 at all the nonwhite or queer-looking people you can see until the police bother to show up.
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Zaune wrote: 2022-06-11 02:22pm You might be right, but even a failed insurgency is going to be ugly. It doesn't take much skill and physical fitness to walk through a park or a flea market or a school firing an AR-15 at all the nonwhite or queer-looking people you can see until the police bother to show up.
I feel like 'insurgency' implies a level of organization, planning and sustained action beyond going on a shooting spree.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Ralin wrote: 2022-06-11 04:59pm
Zaune wrote: 2022-06-11 02:22pm You might be right, but even a failed insurgency is going to be ugly. It doesn't take much skill and physical fitness to walk through a park or a flea market or a school firing an AR-15 at all the nonwhite or queer-looking people you can see until the police bother to show up.
I feel like 'insurgency' implies a level of organization, planning and sustained action beyond going on a shooting spree.
Youtube channel going 'Strike back on this date and time, shot them all'.
A bunch of people watching it decide to do it.
With that one done, the channel calls for another one. More of the followers decide to do it....
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Solauren is right. The organization and planning doesn't have to be done by the actual shooters. Even if unsuccessful (as it likely would be) is going to kill or harm an awful lot of mostly innocent people.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

That's more or less already happened though.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Fascist leaders have always used gullible followers as tools to accomplish their ends. Trump was clearly going for plausible deniability.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Broomstick wrote: 2022-06-12 02:52am Trump was clearly going for plausible deniability.
Until such time as he's back in power and doesn't need it anymore, I reckon.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Ralin wrote: 2022-06-12 03:39am
Broomstick wrote: 2022-06-12 02:52am Trump was clearly going for plausible deniability.
Until such time as he's back in power and doesn't need it anymore, I reckon.
Obviously, this is nothing new really Trump is the first politician trying to lay low and distancing themselves from the inconvenient parts of their support base until they've secured absolute power and don't need to do so anymore.

Though the question remains as to how many of his supporters will remain willing to use force once the opponents start shooting back, since at least those at storming of the Capitol seemed unwilling to go on if it meant harm to themselves and it really doesn't need that many cases of "I'm willing to kill someone to get my will but only if I don't get hurt myself" for the movement to loose all momentum, while we will get way too many innocent deaths (but then even 1 death is one too many) but these people won't end up a real threat to the government.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

I honestly do not see this ending without bloodshed.

We already have The Patriot Front Group Arrested just before they were going to storm a Pride Parade in Idaho. They were found with "riot weapons and a smoke grenade" when the panel van they were in was stopped just short of the Pride's meeting point.
Patriot Front was formed in 2017 after the deadly Unite the Right rally in Charlottesville, Virginia.
The group's manifesto calls for the formation of a white ethnostate in the US, according to the Southern Poverty Law Center, which tracks hate groups.(...snip...)
The anti-racism organisation ADL says Patriot Front belongs to the alt-right segment of white supremacists, but claims to be "patriotic". It has called for "American Fascism", describing it as a "return to the traditions and virtues of our forefathers", ADL says.
The group's manifesto claims that non-whites are not "Americans" and its symbols include the fasces - a Roman bundle of sticks representing authority and used last century by Mussolini's Italian Fascists, ADL says
How much more blatant could they get? Not only racist scum, but they use a Fasces. The source of the word "Fascist".

These are the kind of "really good people" who're supporting Trump, the ones Trump told to "stand by".

wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

Ralin wrote: 2022-06-10 11:04pm
LadyTevar wrote: 2022-06-10 11:13am
Now what?
Nothing much, probably. What are they going to do, arrest Trump?
Just for committing treason and trying to get his own vice president assassinated? In a deeply polarized America where democracy seems to be hanging on a thread I'm afraid that he'll just get away with it with a slap on the wrist

Also, I'm disgusted but not surprised that Fox News didn't bother to report about it. Gotta keep their information bubble of bs alive I guess
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Fox News and the Republicans are a political cult and cults always want to carefully control the information given to their members.

Tribble
Sith Devotee

Post by Tribble »

Broomstick wrote: 2022-06-13 03:38am Fox News and the Republicans are a political cult and cults always want to carefully control the information given to their members.
And it’s not like they are hiding who they are worshiping either:
Elise Stefanik-backed Republican straight up praises Hitler: "The kind of leader we need today"
Carl Paladino, who is running for Congress, also shared post suggesting Uvalde and Buffalo shootings were fake

Carl Paladino, a New York Republican congressional candidate, took to the airwaves last year to praise Adolf Hitler's leadership style, arguing that the Nazi dictator is "the kind of leader we need today."

Paladino's freshly unearthed remarks flagged by Media Matters came in an interview last February with WBEN, a radio station based in his hometown of Buffalo, New York.

"I was thinking the other day about – somebody had mentioned on the radio Adolf Hitler and how he aroused the crowds," Paladino said at the time. "And he would get up there screaming these epithets and these people were just – they were hypnotized by him. That's, I guess, I guess that's the kind of leader we need today. We need somebody inspirational."

Hitler, who had a well-documented knack for enrapturing his followers during the German Reich, is responsible for carrying out the Holocaust, where roughly 11 million people, including 6 million Jews, were mass murdered in a racial and ethnic genocide.

Paladino, whose campaign is backed by House Republican Conference chair Elise Stefanik, R-N.Y., has over the years become notorious for making outlandish and inflammatory remarks.

In 2016, Paladino tweeted that then-New York Attorney General Loretta Lynch, a Black woman, should be "lynched."

"Lynch @LorettaLynch let the Grand Jury decide," he wrote in a since-deleted tweeted.

A year later, Paladino was forced out of his position on the Buffalo School Board over 2016 comments in which he stated that he'd like to see President Barack Obama die of mad cow disease as a result of fornicating with British cattle. Paladino also said that he wanted to see Michelle Obama, America's first Black first lady, "return to being a male and let loose in the outback of Zimbabwe where she lives comfortably in a cave with Maxie, the gorilla."

More recently, this year, the congressional candidate shared a Facebook post suggesting that the recent mass shootings in Buffalo, New York, and Uvalde, Texas were false flag affairs orchestrated by Democrats who want to "revoke the 2nd amendment and take away guns," as Media Matters reported. There is no evidence that either shooting was staged.

Paladino initially claimed he could not remember sharing the post.

"I don't even know how to post on Facebook," he said, before admitting a day later that he shared the post because it was posted by a "friend."

Paladino jumped into the race to represent New York's 27th Congressional District after Rep. Chris Jacobs, R-N.Y., dropped out of the race just days after backing gun control in response to the Buffalo mass shooting.

"We have a problem in our country in terms of both our major parties. If you stray from a party position, you are annihilated," Jacobs said. "For the Republicans, it became pretty apparent to me over the last week that that issue is gun control. Any gun control."
https://www.salon.com/2022/06/09/elise- ... eed-today/

With more and more Republicans openly embracing fascism and Nazism, the odds of them disciplining their supporters and leaders are pretty low.

While I hope I am wrong, IMO they are long past the stage where this ends with a peaceful restoration of a property functioning democratic government. Far too many Americans simply don’t want that any more; they’d much rather have a fascist government that allows them to punish and/or kill their hated “others”.

IMO it’s looking increasingly likely that this either ends with a full on fascist dictatorship and/or another civil war.
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - The official Troll motto, as stated by Adam Savage
GrosseAdmiralFox
Padawan Learner

Post by GrosseAdmiralFox »

Solauren wrote: 2022-06-11 08:16pm
Ralin wrote: 2022-06-11 04:59pm
Youtube channel going 'Strike back on this date and time, shot them all'.
A bunch of people watching it decide to do it.
With that one done, the channel calls for another one. More of the followers decide to do it....
Why do you think we're going into a more authoritarian direction anymore? Because of things like this and how fluid rights and freedoms can get when looking at the evolving technological context.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Well well, at least some of the shit is finding the fan.
Former WV Legislature Delegate Derrick Evans is to be sentenced Wednesday via remote viewing for his actions during Jan 6th Riot.

Derrick Evans joined a bus of protesters who traveled to the Capitol, skipped Trump's speech to wait by the Capitol Building, filming all the while, and went in with the Rioters when it happened, still filming his (and others) actions.

As soon as he left, he started asking his brother-in-law how to delete the video which had already posted.

Evans did plead guilty, but now his lawyer is asking for no jail time, no fine, because "being sanctioned and kicked out of WV Legislature, losing his Gun Rights, and the public shaming" was enough punishment and he was deeply sorrow for his actions. He also should not go to jail because "he is the sole source of income for his wife, kids, and elderly father".
The Federal Prosecutor is asking for a minimum of 6months jail plus a $200K fine.
Bastard earned every bit of that censure. He can deal with 6months (or more) in some comfy white-collar jail, although I'd rather see him in Mount Olive with the rest of the crooks.

Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Will he be able to seek election again when he gets out, assuming he does prison time? If so, this could really boost his career in the GOP.

- George Carlin
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Gandalf wrote: 2022-06-21 04:38pm Will he be able to seek election again when he gets out, assuming he does prison time? If so, this could really boost his career in the GOP.
WV's GOP party is a lot of things, but they do NOT like being made to look bad.
If they were going to support his future political career, they'd have fought harder to keep him in Legislature and let him keep his guns. He was Made An Example, and now he's finished as far as the WV GOP is concerned.

They're more interested right now in tar and feathering Joe Manchin. They also have more 'grounded' candidates they're grooming.