2022 US Election (For FUCK'S SAKE!)

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

2022 US Election (For FUCK'S SAKE!)

Post by Tsyroc »

In the next US election I will be voting in a different congressional district than I have before. The likely Democratic winner has been the incumbent in a district I was in ~20 years ago when I moved to my current location. The recent Godzillamandering (I just say this because my new district is ridiculously huge and I previously thought my state's non-partisan committee had been pretty good at this thing. They might still actually being fair but this district is ridiculous in size) Arizona District 7 FYI

The "For FUCKS SAKE!" is because this election is going to be dominated by Roe v Wade and Second Amendment bullshit. Both fucking issues need to be addressed as amendments to the constitution so we can stop with this fucking around and around at least for the next fucking couple of generations. Even if it takes a generation to get a yay or nay at least the fuckwads in power can somewhat dodge the issue and focus on some other shit for awhile. Thomas Jefferson thought we should have a Constitutional Convention every 20 years and he was probably right but can you imagine the shit show if they even tried that now? Just getting enough states to agree would be a dumpster fire and holy shit I would not want to be the state or city that hosted that clusterfuck.

Personally I think that if the people got a vote we'd get something putting Roe v Wade in stone. I'm not sure where we'd go on the 2nd amendment. At this point with the 2nd amendment I'd be fine if they clarified it as a personal right and that regulated meant you needed to get an acceptable amount of training and psychological testing before being cleared to have a firearm (although the Supreme Court has also dealt with non-firearm weapons in this regard). My dad took a concealed carry course years ago (no longer necessary in Arizona but still available) and I liked that it dealt with when and where it was appropriate to use your weapon and to consider if a person's life is worth your property etc... because in most cases it is not. Both would be a bitch and a half to get written and ratified and that's why we have our current bullshit in both cases. It's too difficult to do things the correct way so lets write laws and/or throw things to the Supreme Court and make them do it...one way or another. That never bites us in the ass.

I don't typically lean that far into being a Democrat (I'm Independent) but holy shit are there some seriously fucked up candidates coming out as Republicans. Pennsylvania has a Bible Thumper Trumpite as the Republican candidate for governor. :shock: JTFC! The worst of both worlds.

I already had a city election this year where the Republican was "Trumpish" and not a high school graduate but he "knew stuff". :? He got stomped by the Democratic candidate. Not the one I wanted, who lost in the primary, but Holy Shit! These are the options?
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Re: 2022 US Election (For FUCK'S SAKE!)

Post by Gandalf »

It'll be interesting to see if the "sure I voted for the Republican senators, but never thought their judges would actually overturn Roe" crowd actually wind up doing anything with their vote.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

Gandalf wrote: 2022-05-26 04:11pm It'll be interesting to see if the "sure I voted for the Republican senators, but never thought their judges would actually overturn Roe" crowd actually wind up doing anything with their vote.
I'm curious as to what Kavanaugh is going to do in that regard. He had stated something to the effect that it's a "done deaL", meaning that he didn't see any chance of overturning Roe v Wade. One of the judicial criticisms I've seen about him is that he tends to make a decision and then find ways to justify that decision, usually going with the feeling at the time.

Given the various doom and gloom social media posts I see about state governments going after even more women's reproductive rights than abortion I'm also curious to see if that impacts the makeup of state legislatures since a lot of them have been dominated by Republicans.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

Tsyroc wrote: 2022-05-27 12:07am
Gandalf wrote: 2022-05-26 04:11pm It'll be interesting to see if the "sure I voted for the Republican senators, but never thought their judges would actually overturn Roe" crowd actually wind up doing anything with their vote.
I'm curious as to what Kavanaugh is going to do in that regard. He had stated something to the effect that it's a "done deaL", meaning that he didn't see any chance of overturning Roe v Wade. One of the judicial criticisms I've seen about him is that he tends to make a decision and then find ways to justify that decision, usually going with the feeling at the time.

Given the various doom and gloom social media posts I see about state governments going after even more women's reproductive rights than abortion I'm also curious to see if that impacts the makeup of state legislatures since a lot of them have been dominated by Republicans.
Alito also said that Roe was settled law in his confirmation hearings. They all lied; they've just been waiting for this chance.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Interesting idea I saw online that might affect voting in November and going forward: As some people work to turn their states into little Gileads, violating the new and increasingly macabre laws might lead to felony charges.

As is my understanding, those charged with felonies cannot always vote. So that'll be a trend to watch.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Soontir C'boath
SG-14: Fuck the Medic!
Location: Queens, NYC I DON'T FUCKING CARE IF MANHATTEN IS CONSIDERED NYC!! I'M IN IT ASSHOLE!!!

Post by Soontir C'boath »

NY is apparently just going to go along with the redistricing that was done by a Republican outsider. No backbone at all to try and appeal the decision. We're just taking it in stride apparently. I've been redistricted in every office. New Congressmember, and State Senator and Assemblymember. Bye bye AOC, where her new district still has part of the Bronx, but now it encompasses a large swath of Whitestone which I feel was keenly deliberate. Whitestone is full of homeowners and very likely more on the right wing spectrum of Democrats. She's going to really have to rely on the people in the Bronx and what's left of western Queens to keep her seat.

If anything, I feel I just got an upgrade to a better state senator. So at least there's that.

[Rant] I know voting is not helped by gerrymandering and voter ID laws, but not voting at all (ala Carlin) really doesn't help either. Hell, if it comes down to it, vote in the primary of the other party and choose the least shittiest one there; Dem or Republican I don't care. The turnout for elections is simply appalling.

The disillusioned people especially in the progressive wing need to stop crying and stop thinking just organizing and protesting are going to do anything when the politicians and media can just ignore them or just take a knee with a kente scarf on (ie. Occupy Wall St./Black Lives Matter). Elections aren't easy especially for underdogs. If they can't handle voting at least two days of the year, the hell they thinking they're going to do any better at organizing and protesting?[/Rant]
I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Counciler or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who constantly says: "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action"; who paternalistically believes he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by a mythical concept of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait for a "more convenient season."
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Dude, WV Lost enough population in the last Census that they HAD to re-district because we lost a House of Representative.

You really don't want to see how the local Poli-ticks gerrymandered the shit out of that.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

Soontir C'boath wrote: 2022-05-29 11:16pm NY is apparently just going to go along with the redistricing that was done by a Republican outsider. No backbone at all to try and appeal the decision. We're just taking it in stride apparently. I've been redistricted in every office. New Congressmember, and State Senator and Assemblymember. Bye bye AOC, where her new district still has part of the Bronx, but now it encompasses a large swath of Whitestone which I feel was keenly deliberate. Whitestone is full of homeowners and very likely more on the right wing spectrum of Democrats. She's going to really have to rely on the people in the Bronx and what's left of western Queens to keep her seat.

If anything, I feel I just got an upgrade to a better state senator. So at least there's that.

[Rant] I know voting is not helped by gerrymandering and voter ID laws, but not voting at all (ala Carlin) really doesn't help either. Hell, if it comes down to it, vote in the primary of the other party and choose the least shittiest one there; Dem or Republican I don't care. The turnout for elections is simply appalling.

The disillusioned people especially in the progressive wing need to stop crying and stop thinking just organizing and protesting are going to do anything when the politicians and media can just ignore them or just take a knee with a kente scarf on (ie. Occupy Wall St./Black Lives Matter). Elections aren't easy especially for underdogs. If they can't handle voting at least two days of the year, the hell they thinking they're going to do any better at organizing and protesting?[/Rant]
It sounds like they may have created a more competitive district that might be more evenly split but sounds like a weird split. I've had that happen to me. I've been in a firmly Democratic district and then in a competitive one that tended to switch parties every couple of elections. I'm now in this ridiculously huge district that will likely be strongly Democratic with the same guy likely to win that I had years ago in the smaller district I started out in.

Arizona has it's districts done by a "non-partisan committee". I've generally thought it did a pretty good job because I had been in that district where it tended to be evenly split. They might still be good but the size and shape of my new district, a redrawn district 7, has made me wonder. This map compares the leanings between the new and the old district political leanings.

You might want to check out the map for New York. The leaning still seem to strongly favor AOC.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
Soontir C'boath
SG-14: Fuck the Medic!
Location: Queens, NYC I DON'T FUCKING CARE IF MANHATTEN IS CONSIDERED NYC!! I'M IN IT ASSHOLE!!!

Post by Soontir C'boath »

If you mean challenge wise from a Republican, that's not going to happen. However, a conservative leaning Democratic challenger in the primary where Republican PACs won't mind donating a ton of money to and the Democratic Party not minding at all if AOC is gone? Definitely.
I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Counciler or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who constantly says: "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action"; who paternalistically believes he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by a mythical concept of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait for a "more convenient season."
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

Soontir C'boath wrote: 2022-05-30 12:25am If you mean challenge wise from a Republican, that's not going to happen. However, a conservative leaning Democratic challenger in the primary where Republican PACs won't mind donating a ton of money to and the Democratic Party not minding at all if AOC is gone? Definitely.
I hadn't thought of that. I can see that happening.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.