Jamaica latest to demand reparations from Britain for slave trade

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Re: Jamaica latest to demand reparations from Britain for slave trade

Post by Broomstick »

gizmojumpjet wrote: 2021-08-04 10:25pm The only reparations GB should offer these pathetic whiners is a one-way plane ticket to Africa.
Fuck off you ignorant racist asshole.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

Would it even be worth pointing out that the UK no longer owns Jamaica anyway?
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Zaune wrote: 2021-08-05 06:50pm Would it even be worth pointing out that the UK no longer owns Jamaica anyway?
That's actually irrelevant. One nation is asking another nation for reparations for past transgressions.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

gizmojumpjet wrote: 2021-08-04 10:25pm The only reparations GB should offer these pathetic whiners is a one-way plane ticket to Africa.

Coach.

We do not tolerate racism on this board. This is your first and only warning. Next time you will be banned.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

Solauren wrote: 2021-08-05 07:47pmThat's actually irrelevant. One nation is asking another nation for reparations for past transgressions.
I was addressing the guy who apparently thinks the British government should be repatriating citizens of another sovereign country to... somewhere in Africa, I'm not even going to bother asking which African country he had in mind because I honestly doubt he was aware there's more than one.
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

I Have A Blog
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Zaune wrote: 2021-08-05 10:13pm
Solauren wrote: 2021-08-05 07:47pmThat's actually irrelevant. One nation is asking another nation for reparations for past transgressions.
I was addressing the guy who apparently thinks the British government should be repatriating citizens of another sovereign country to... somewhere in Africa, I'm not even going to bother asking which African country he had in mind because I honestly doubt he was aware there's more than one.

Ah.

Well, if Jamaica asked that to be an option for willing citizens, Great Britian agreed to fund it, and an African country/countries agreed, would that be acceptable?
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

There's some absolutely enormous "if"s there, but... maybe? Because something like that was actually attempted with Liberia, and that didn't go so well.

-- fgalkin

I Have A Blog
loomer
Sith Marauder

Post by loomer »

It'd also do fuck all to resolve the structural legacy of exploitation and dependence created through Britain's involvement in the slave trade and its colonial ventures.
"Doctors keep their scalpels and other instruments handy, for emergencies. Keep your philosophy ready too—ready to understand heaven and earth. In everything you do, even the smallest thing, remember the chain that links them. Nothing earthly succeeds by ignoring heaven, nothing heavenly by ignoring the earth." M.A.A.A
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

loomer wrote: 2021-08-06 10:05am It'd also do fuck all to resolve the structural legacy of exploitation and dependence created through Britain's involvement in the slave trade and its colonial ventures.
Very true. However, it was meant as a side question, not as part of the main discussion.

Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Zaune wrote: 2021-08-06 10:03am There's some absolutely enormous "if"s there, but... maybe? Because something like that was actually attempted with Liberia, and that didn't go so well.
Liberia did not involve voluntary participation on the part of the Africans - it was basically conquered by Americans as a place to dump former slaves somewhere other than North America. During the Monroe Administration, hence the capital being named "Monrovia".
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice