Racist lose ability to practice medicine

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Racist lose ability to practice medicine

Post by mr friendly guy »

Got this in my inbox today from medscape so I thought I would share it and discuss.

linky
Resident Who Sent Anti-Semitic Tweets Barred From Medicine
Marcia Frellick

August 31, 2020
14Read Comments
ADD TO EMAIL ALERTS
A first-year resident who was fired in 2018 from the Cleveland Clinic in Ohio after her anti-Semitic tweets were discovered has now permanently lost her ability to practice medicine.

Lara Kollab posted anti-Semitic hate speech, referred to Jewish people as dogs, downplayed the Holocaust, and threatened to "purposely give all the yahood [sic] the wrong meds." Yahud is the Arabic word for Jews.

According to the State Medical Board of Ohio, on October 11, 2011, Kollab also posted a tweet that translates as "Allah will take the Jews."

On August 12 this year, the state board ordered that Kollab be permanently barred from practicing osteopathic medicine or surgery in Ohio or from participating in another medical training program. Kollab had previously agreed to permanently surrender her training certificate.

Kollab completed medical school at Touro College of Osteopathic Medicine in New York City in 2018. The college's website notes that it is "[r]ooted in Jewish tradition, built on Jewish values."

In a June 2019 deposition with an investigative committee of the Ohio medical board, Kollab admitted that after she was accepted at Touro, she deleted the anti-Semitic tweets, according to board documents.

After graduating from Touro, Kollab began an internal medicine residency at the Cleveland Clinic. She was fired from the residency after the anti-Semitic posts came to light.

The Cleveland Clinic said in a statement to Medscape Medical News, "This individual was employed as a supervised, first-year resident at our hospital from July to September 2018. When we learned of the social media post, we took immediate action, conducted an internal review and placed her on administrative leave. Her departure was related to those posts and she has not worked at Cleveland Clinic since September."

The Canary Mission, an organization that says it investigates hatred across the North American political spectrum, published on its website a compilation of dozens of Kollab's tweets posted from 2011 to 2017.

After Kollab left the Cleveland Clinic in December 2018, she interviewed for and was matched to a residency spot with Kern Medical Center in Bakersfield, California. The following April, Kern Medical said it would not accept Kollab, noting she submitted "false, misleading, and incomplete" information during the interview and match process.

Kern Medical's CEO, Russell Judd, told the Californian that Kollab had "lied on her application about why she left Cleveland Clinic, saying she left due to a death in the family," and that she did not disclose that her termination was due to her anti-Semitic posts.

Possible Financial Toll
In addition to revoking Kollab's medical credentials, the Ohio board warned there may be a financial toll as well.

The board states in the revocation document that "for any violations that occurred on or after September 29, 2015, the board may impose a civil penalty in an amount that shall not exceed twenty thousand dollars, pursuant to Section 4731.225, Ohio Revised Code. The civil penalty may be in addition to any other action the board may take."

In a January 2019 blog post, Kollab apologized for the tweets, saying, "I have learned from this experience and am sorry for the pain I have caused. I pray that the Jewish community will understand and forgive me."

Kollab's attorney, James McGovern, of Graff & McGovern in Columbus, Ohio, did not respond to a request for comment. Attempts to contact Kollab were not successful.
From the article there is no indication for the length of time she is barred, so presumably could be for the rest of her life.

Now from memory, doctors who have been guilty of things like sexual misconduct have been suspended for several years, but not barred from life. What does the board think of this? Personally I know there is generally a doctor shortage in some countries, but I wouldn't trust a doctor who threatened to "give the wrong medications," to <insert ethnic group here> ever.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
Ace Pace
Hardware Lover

Re: Racist lose ability to practice medicine

Post by Ace Pace »

I'm not sure there's a way to ban these statements without it being overly broad. The moment you police speech in this manner is the moment you allow the current prevailing social currents to dictate thought.

Furthermore, penalty for life is absurd, for any situation. It basically tells people "the punishment is so severe there's no point in trying to change yourself", same as in any crime.
Brotherhood of the Bear | HAB | Mess | SDnet archivist |
tezunegari
Jedi Knight

Post by tezunegari »

mr friendly guy wrote: 2020-09-01 08:56pm [...]
[...]
Lara Kollab posted anti-Semitic hate speech, referred to Jewish people as dogs, downplayed the Holocaust, and threatened to "purposely give all the yahood [sic] the wrong meds." Yahud is the Arabic word for Jews.
[...]
[...]
Ace Pace wrote: 2020-09-02 01:56am I'm not sure there's a way to ban these statements without it being overly broad. The moment you police speech in this manner is the moment you allow the current prevailing social currents to dictate thought.
She threatened to purposely give people the wrong medication using her role as a doctor to do so.
That's not "policing speech" that's reacting to a statement about a premeditated crime.
"Bring your thousands, I have my axe."
"Bring your cannons, I have my armor."
"Bring your mighty... I am my own champion."
Cue Unit-01 ramming half the Lance of Longinus down Adam's head and a bemused Gendo, "Wrong end, son."
Ikari Gendo, NGE Fanfiction "Standing Tall"
Ace Pace
Hardware Lover

Post by Ace Pace »

tezunegari wrote: 2020-09-02 02:27am
She threatened to purposely give people the wrong medication using her role as a doctor to do so.
That's not "policing speech" that's reacting to a statement about a premeditated crime.
Yes and she should be disbarred for the latter part! But if she had omitted that part, what would our reaction be and what should it be?
loomer
Sith Marauder

Post by loomer »

So... 'what if this person, who was banned from medicine for threatening to murder people, was banned for something else! What then!'?
"Doctors keep their scalpels and other instruments handy, for emergencies. Keep your philosophy ready too—ready to understand heaven and earth. In everything you do, even the smallest thing, remember the chain that links them. Nothing earthly succeeds by ignoring heaven, nothing heavenly by ignoring the earth." M.A.A.A
Ace Pace
Hardware Lover

Post by Ace Pace »

loomer wrote: 2020-09-02 04:31am So... 'what if this person, who was banned from medicine for threatening to murder people, was banned for something else! What then!'?
Yes. Because clearly the article lays something that honestly is clear cut. No reason she shouldn't be disbarred from her profession.

I wonder about
* What are the right lines if it wasn't murder?
* What happens when such effects are for life
tezunegari
Jedi Knight

Post by tezunegari »

Ace Pace wrote: 2020-09-02 06:45am
loomer wrote: 2020-09-02 04:31am So... 'what if this person, who was banned from medicine for threatening to murder people, was banned for something else! What then!'?
Yes. Because clearly the article lays something that honestly is clear cut. No reason she shouldn't be disbarred from her profession.

I wonder about
* What are the right lines if it wasn't murder?
* What happens when such effects are for life
The right lines are between opinion and claiming to commit a crime.

You can be the most racist/misandrist/misogynistic fuck in the world and no one would care as long as you do your job professionally and to your best ability.
People might not like you... but that's not part of the job.

The moment you admit to committing crimes or planning to do so USING YOUR POSITION AS DOCTOR... lifetime ban and all possible criminal investigations.
"Bring your thousands, I have my axe."
"Bring your cannons, I have my armor."
"Bring your mighty... I am my own champion."
Cue Unit-01 ramming half the Lance of Longinus down Adam's head and a bemused Gendo, "Wrong end, son."
Ikari Gendo, NGE Fanfiction "Standing Tall"
loomer
Sith Marauder

Post by loomer »

Actually, if you're a racist or misogynist doctor, you probably aren't doing your job professionally in the first place because you'll buy into all the bullshit racism and misogyny entrenched in medicine and then some.
"Doctors keep their scalpels and other instruments handy, for emergencies. Keep your philosophy ready too—ready to understand heaven and earth. In everything you do, even the smallest thing, remember the chain that links them. Nothing earthly succeeds by ignoring heaven, nothing heavenly by ignoring the earth." M.A.A.A