Armed Canadian forces member arrested on grounds of PM's residence.

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Armed Canadian forces member arrested on grounds of PM's residence.

Post by The Romulan Republic »

https://ottawa.ctvnews.ca/armed-man-arr ... -1.5007764
TTAWA -- An armed man who was arrested by the RCMP on the grounds of Rideau Hall early Thursday morning is an active Canadian Armed Forces member, CTV News confirms.

RCMP said Thursday morning the man was able to access the grounds around 6:40 a.m. He was arrested without incident and is in custody. Police said charges are pending. They have not released the man's name.

I can now also confirm what @OttawaCitizen and @alexboutilier previously reported that the man arrested in today’s incident at Rideau Hall is an active member of the Canadian Armed Forces. His identity is not being released at this time.

— Annie Bergeron-Oliver (@AnnieClaireBO) July 2, 2020
The Prime Minister and Governor General were not on the grounds at the time of the incident, police said. There were no injuries reported.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the grounds of Rideau Hall are closed, and public tours and events at both Rideau Hall and the Citadelle are cancelled or postponed until further notice.

A stretch of Sussex Drive near Rideau Hall was closed Thursday morning for the investigation, which saw a large police presence head to the Rideau Hall grounds.

A black pickup truck with Manitoba plates could be seen partway up the driveway with airbags deployed, and debris could be seen near the front gate. There was also damage to the front gate itself.

A police robot was sent to investigate the truck and its contents. It could be seen pulling a garbage bag from inside the truck. There were also two cardboard boxes piled on the back seat.

Police have not provided any further details about how the truck may be linked to the incident.

In a tweet, Governor General Julie Payette said, "We thank the RCMP and police for quickly resolving the situation this morning at Rideau Hall. All of our staff are safe."

We thank the RCMP and police for quickly resolving the situation this morning at #RideauHall. All of our staff are safe. https://t.co/DNj0cIpXea

— GGJuliePayette (@GGJuliePayette) July 2, 2020
Sussex Drive reopened to traffic shortly after 9 a.m., but police remained at Rideau Hall into the afternoon.

RCMP guard the entrance at rideau hall. @ctvottawa https://t.co/bmxiD8X8hb pic.twitter.com/kH6g4HmQa0

— LeahLarocque (@LeahCTV) July 2, 2020
(1/2) At approximately 6:40 this morning, an armed man was able to access the grounds of 1 Sussex Drive. The Prime Minister and the Governor General were not present at the moment of the incident.

— National Division RCMP (@Nat_Div_RCMP) July 2, 2020
(2/2)The man was arrested shortly after without any incident. He is currently in custody and is being interviewed. We are not releasing his identity at this time as charges are pending.

— National Division RCMP (@Nat_Div_RCMP) July 2, 2020
With files from CTV's Annie Bergeron-Oliver and CTV's Leah Larocque.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.