Conflict erupts at Minneapolis, L.A. protests over George Floyd death

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Ralin
Sith Marauder

Re: Conflict erupts at Minneapolis, L.A. protests over George Floyd death

Post by Ralin »

All of which is well past what I'd say is a reasonable amount of vetting for people posting on a subreddit.

Also
Jub wrote: 2020-06-20 05:51pm The reasoning behind why the numbers suck isn't really my concern. My concern is that in any other field batting well under 50% would be grounds for your entire operation to be restructured. For the police, it leads to them getting new toys and continuing to shrug off external oversight.
Depends on the field. If 48 percent of my students ended the year significantly better at speaking English my school would bow down and worship me as the greatest teacher they've ever had.
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

Ralin wrote: 2020-06-22 01:47pmDepends on the field. If 48 percent of my students ended the year significantly better at speaking English my school would bow down and worship me as the greatest teacher they've ever had.
How often is your funding as a teacher cut and/or your class sizes increased? Could you achieve better results if you were funded and staff like the police?
MKSheppard
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger

Post by MKSheppard »

Jub wrote: 2020-06-20 05:51pm The reasoning behind why the numbers suck isn't really my concern. My concern is that in any other field batting well under 50% would be grounds for your entire operation to be restructured. For the police, it leads to them getting new toys and continuing to shrug off external oversight.
It's kind of hard to clear a murder case where nobody wants to help you solve it, and where nobody saw nothing. All the moreso when witnesses to a murder become a murder victim themselves a few months later (yes, this has happened on the first 48).

It's a lot easier to solve a murder case when everyone in the neighborhood wants to help you and comes forward with ring doorbell videos.
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Pulled this handy list off of Tumblr:
eowyntheavenger
What have the protests accomplished?
5/26 4 officers fired for murdering George Floyd
5/27 Charges dropped for Kenneth Walker (Breonna Taylor’s boyfriend, who police accused of killing her)
5/28 University of Minnesota cancels contract with police
5/28 3rd precinct police station neutralized by protesters
5/28 Minneapolis transit union refuses to bring police officers to protests or transport arrested protesters
5/29 Activists commandeer Minneapolis hotel to provide shelter to homeless
5/29 Former officer Chauvin arrested and charged with murder
5/29 Louisville Mayor suspends “no-knock” warrants
5/30 US Embassies across Africa condemn police murder of George Floyd
5/30 Minnesota Attorney General Keith Ellison takes over prosecution of the murdering officer
5/30 Transport Workers Union refuses to help NYPD transport arrests protesters
5/30 Maryland lawmakers forming work group on police reform, accountability
5/31 2 abusive officers fired for pulling a couple out of their car and tasing them - Atlanta, GA
6/1 Minneapolis public schools end contract with police
6/1 Confederate monument removed after being toppled by protesters - Birmingham, AL
6/1 CA prosecutors launch campaign to stop DAs from accepting police union money
6/1 Tulsa Mayor agrees to not renew Live PD contract
6/1 Louisville police chief fired after shooting of David Mcatee
6/1 Congress begins bipartisan push to cut off police access to military gear
6/1 Atlanta announces plans to create a task force and public database to track police brutality in metro Atlanta area
6/2 Minneapolis AFL-CIO calls for resignation of police union president Bob Kroll, a vocal white supremest
6/2 Pittsburgh transit union announces refusal to transport police officers or arrest protesters
6/2 Racist ex-mayor Frank Rizzo statue removed in Philadelphia
6/2 6 abusive officers charged for violence against residents and protesters - Atlanta, GA
6/2 Civil rights investigation of Minneapolis Police Dept launched
6/2 San Francisco resolution to prevent law enforcement from hiring officers with history of misconduct
6/2 Survey indicates that 64% of those polled are sympathetic to protesters, 47% disapprove of police handling of the protests, and 54% think the burning down of the Minneapolis police precinct was fully or partially justified
6/2 Trenton NJ announces policing reforms
6/2 Minneapolis City Council members consider disbanding the police
6/2 Confederate statue removed from Alexandria, VA
6/3 Officer fired for tweets promoting violence against protesters - Denver, CO
6/3 Walker Art Center and the Minneapolis Institute of Art cut ties with the MPD
6/3 Chauvin charges upgraded to second degree murder, remaining 3 officers also charged and taken into custody
6/3 Richmond VA Mayor Stoney announces RPD reform measures: establish "Marcus" alert for folks experiencing mental health crises, establish independent Citizen Review Board, an ordinance to remove Confederate monuments, and implement racial equity study
6/3 County commissioners deny proposal for $23 million expansion of Fulton County jail
6/3 Minneapolis Park and Recreation Board unanimously votes to sever ties with MPD
6/3 Seattle withdraws request to end federal oversight/consent decree of police department
6/3 Breonna Taylor’s case reopened
6/3 Louisville police department (Breonna Taylor’s murderers) will now be under review from an outside agency, which will include review on training, bias-free policing and accountability
6/3 Colorado lawmakers introduce a police reform bill that includes body cam laws, repealing the “fleeing felon” statute, and banning chokeholds
6/3 Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti announces plans to reduce funding to police department by $150M and instead invest in minority communities
6/4 Virginia governor announces plans to remove Robert E. Lee statue from Richmond
6/4 Portland schools superintendent discontinues presence of armed police officers in schools
6/4 MBTA (Metro Boston) board orders that buses wont transport police to protests, or protesters to police
6/4 King County Labor Federation issues ultimatum to police unions: admit to and address racism in Seattle PD, or be removed
6/5 City of Minneapolis bans all chokeholds by police
6/5 Racist ex-mayor Hubbard statue removed - Dearborn, MI
6/5 NFL condemns racism and admits it should have listened to players’ protests
6/5 California Governor Gavin Newsom calls for statewide use-of-force standard made along with community leaders and ban on carotid holds
6/5 2 Buffalo officers suspended within a day of pushing 75 year old protester to the ground, and lying about it
6/5 2 NYPD officers suspended after videos of violence to protesters
6/5 The US Marines bans display of the Confederate flag
6/5 Dallas adopts a "duty to intervene" rule that requires officers to stop other cops who are engaging in excessive use of force
6/5 Dallas City Manager T.C. Broadnax releases an 11-point action plan for immediate police reforms
6/6 Statue of Confederate general Williams Carter Wickham torn down - Richmond, VA
6/6 2 Buffalo officers charged with second-degree assault for shoving elderly man
6/6 San Francisco Mayor London Breed announces effort to defund police and redirect funds to Black community
6/7 Frank Rizzo mural removed, to be replaced with new artwork - Philadelphia, PA
6/7 Minneapolis City Council members announce intent to disband the police department, invest in proven community-led public safety
6/7 Protesters in Bristol topple statue of slave trader Edward Colston, throw it in the river
6/7 NYC Mayor Bill de Blasio vows for the first time to cut funding for NYPD, redirect to social services
6/7 A Virginia police officer faces charges after using a stun gun on a black man
6/8 NY State Assembly passes the Eric Garner Anti-Chokehold Act
6/8 Democrats in Congress unveil a bill to rein in bias and excessive force in policing
6/8 Black lawmakers block a legislative session in Pennsylvania to demand action on police reform
6/8 France bans police use of chokeholds
6/8 Seattle council members join calls to defund police department
6/8 Boston reevaluates how it funds police department
6/8 Honolulu Police Commission nominees voice support for more transparency, reforms
6/8 Rights groups and Floyd’s family call for a UN inquiry into American policing and help with systemic police reform
No, it’s not enough, but this is only the beginning. Keep fighting!!!
(This list comes from Mara Ahmed’s blog post and was compiled by Fahd Ahmed; I added sources and new entries. Please reblog with further additions.)

Recommended#George Floyd#Breonna Taylor#BLM#Black Lives Matter#No Justice No Peace
Viva la revolution.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

John Oliver weighs in on police and police reform, and in particular the way that police unions block any attempt at reform or removing officers for misconduct: https://youtube.com/watch?v=Wf4cea5oObY

Congrats American cops- you're such massive pieces of shit that you managed to make Leftists justifiably anti-union.

Also that clip of uniformed police cheering Trump's pro-police brutality rhetoric is really fucking disturbing. This is how fascist states are created.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

Aether
Youngling

Post by Aether »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2020-06-23 06:27pm John Oliver weighs in on police and police reform, and in particular the way that police unions block any attempt at reform or removing officers for misconduct: https://youtube.com/watch?v=Wf4cea5oObY
It makes you wonder how much longer Police Unions will be able to stand against reform. Shuffling bad cops around like the Catholic Church did pedophiles certainly cannot end well for the FOP.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Fired Wilmington police officer: "We are just going to go out and start slaughtering them fucking ni*****. I can't wait. God. I can't wait."

https://portcitydaily.com/local-news/20 ... -free-read
WILMINGTON — “We are just gonna go out and start slaughtering them fu—– ni—–. I can’t wait. God, I can’t wait.

These are the words of a now-former Wilmington Police Department officer Kevin Piner.

He, along with two other officers have been fired from the department after dash-cam footage recorded two phone conversations — accidentally — and a supervisor conducting a routine audit of the videos found the disturbing content.

Michael ‘Kevin’ Piner, James ‘Brian’ Gilmore, and Jessie E. Moore II were all terminated from the force. The announcement came from the new Chief of Police Donny Williams — not even 24-hours into his first day as chief.

On Wednesday afternoon, members of City Council along with Williams held a press conference to address the conduct of the former police officers. Williams, a nearly 30-year veteran at the department said he was saddened by the actions of the officers, but would have no tolerance for this type of behavior.

“Today is a challenging day for me because as your police chief, one of my first major tasks is to announce the termination of three veteran police officers,” Williams said.

Related: Three Wilmington police officers off the force after they were recorded making racist comments [Free]

In North Carolina, public records laws typically prevent government agencies from handing out information on personnel; however, in extraordinary circumstances, details can be released to the public.

The former officers actively tried to prevent a release of the information, and an attorney filed an apparently unsuccessful motion for a temporary restraining order, but ultimately the city decided it was the right thing to do.

“Why are we releasing this information this way and at this time? Because it is the right thing to do. Normally, personnel laws allow only a very small amount of information to be made public. However, in exceptional cases, when it is essential to maintain public confidence in the administration of the City and the Police Department, more information may be released. This is the most exceptional and difficult case I have encountered in my career. We must establish new reforms for policing here at home and throughout this country,” Williams said.

As far as the video goes, Williams said the police would be working with a judge to determine if that footage can be released.

“Lastly, we will be filing a petition in which we will ask the Court to review whether or not some or all of the video, in this case, should be released. The law requires that a judge make that determination and we will support the judiciary by bringing the matter before the Court and supplying any information or other documents that Court may desire,” Williams said.

Willaims and Saffo both stressed the importance of not placing the blame of the three officers on the hundreds of other officers in the department.

The recordings
On June 4, just days after protests began in Wilmington regarding the murder of George Floyd in Minnesota, a Sergeant Heflin was conducting monthly video audits — a routine part of her job — when she came across what was labeled as ‘accidental activations’ from Piner’s car.

Apparently, the car’s camera system was recording despite not being ‘activated’ for an incident (typically cameras are recording at all times but will not keep the recordings unless an officer triggers the system).

After skipping through the video, which was largely video of his backseat, she found a conversation between Piner and Corporal Jessie Moore — a police officer with the department since 1997.

She reviewed the conversation she ‘heard comments, extremely racist comments made by both Piner and Moore,” according to a summary provided by police.

The video also recorded a conversation with Officer Gilmore who apparently had pulled up next to Piner’s car.

Both conversations were explicit and racist in content.

According to the investigation summary, at 6:51 a.m., on a date not listed, Piner and Gilmore are recorded having a conversation.

“Their conversation eventually turned to the topic of the protests against racism occurring across the nation. Piner tells Gilmore that the only thing this agency is concerned with ‘kneeling down with the black folks.’ Gilmore then said that he watched a video on social media about white people bowing down on their knees and ‘worshipping blacks,'” according to the summary.

The conversation then turned to other police officers in the Wilmington Police Department — black officers.

The audio has Piner calling one of the officers ‘bad news’ and a ‘piece of shit.’

“Let’s see how his boys take care of him when shit gets rough, see if they don’t put a bullet in his head,” Piner said about a fellow officer.

That conversation ends as Piner goes to respond to an alarm call.

‘A civil war is coming’
The second of the two conversations that day happened after Piner received a phone call from Moore.

According to the summary, “Moore began telling Piner about an arrest he had made at work the day before. During that conversation, Moore refers to the female as a ‘negro’ and a ‘ni—-‘ on multiple occasions.”

He also referred to a magistrate judge, who is also black, as a ‘fucking negro magistrate.’

“At one point, Moore states, ‘she needed a bullet in her head right then and move on. Let’s move the body out of the way and keep going.’ Piner responds, ‘That’s what I have been trying to tell you,'” according to the documents.

After more derogatory comments about the arrestee and the magistrate, the conversation takes an even bleaker turn, as the two officers discuss an upcoming ‘civil war.’

“Piner tells Moore later in the conversation that he feels a civil war is coming and he is ‘ready.’ Piner advised he is going to buy a new assault rifle in the next couple of weeks. A short time later Officer Piner began to discuss society being close to ‘martial law’ and soon ‘we are just gonna go out and start slaughtering them fucking ni—–. I can’t wait. God, I can’t wait.’ Moore responded that he would not do that. Piner stated, ‘I am ready.'” according to the summary.

“Officer Piner then explained to Cpl. Moore that he felt society needed a civil war to ‘wipe ’em off the fucking map. That’ll put ’em back about four or five generations.'”

After the conversations were discovered police launched their own investigations into the incidents. None of the officers involved denied saying the things they said, according to WPD>

“Each officer admitted it was their voice on the video. They did not deny saying any of the things heard on the video. Each officer pointed to the stress of today’s climate in law enforcement as a reason for their ‘venting,'” according to the investigation.

Chief Williams took the following corrective actions for the three officers.

Termination of employment, not eligible for rehire with the City of Wilmington
Notification of the North Carolina Criminal Justice Education and Training Standards Commission in regards to the behaviors. These individuals should not be allowed to practice law enforcement again, he said.
Consultation with the District Attorney’s Office regarding these officers being used as witnesses in cases and reviewing any previous cases they might have testified in to determine any bias that might have been exhibited.
You can read the full release of the documents below.

Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

MKSheppard wrote: 2020-06-22 09:16pmIt's kind of hard to clear a murder case where nobody wants to help you solve it, and where nobody saw nothing. All the moreso when witnesses to a murder become a murder victim themselves a few months later (yes, this has happened on the first 48).

It's a lot easier to solve a murder case when everyone in the neighborhood wants to help you and comes forward with ring doorbell videos.
That is exactly the issue with modern policing. They are so out of touch with many communities that even rape and murder won't get people to willingly interact with them.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

New York City announces plans to paint a Black Lives Matter mural on the street outside Trump Tower:

https://theglobeandmail.com/world/us-po ... his-tower/#_=_
President Donald Trump has taken issue with New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio’s plan to paint “Black Lives Matter” in giant letters on the street in front of Trump’s namesake Manhattan tower.

Trump tweeted Thursday that de Blasio “wants to paint the fabled & beautiful Fifth Avenue, right in front of Trump Tower/Tiffany, with a big yellow Black Lives Matter sign.”

“‘`Pigs in a Blanket, Fry ‘Em Like Bacon,” referring to killing Police, is their chant. NYC Police are furious!” his tweet said.

But that has not in fact been a common chant at protests in New York or elsewhere since the death of George Floyd one month ago in Minneapolis.

City Hall officials announced Wednesday that the “Black lives matter,” rallying cry would be painted in bold letters on the street in front of the president’s midtown skyscraper.

“The president is a disgrace to the values we cherish in New York City,” de Blasio spokesperson Julia Arredondo said. “He can’t run or deny the reality we are facing, and any time he wants to set foot in the place he claims is his hometown, he should be reminded Black Lives Matter.”

De Blasio announced earlier this month that the city would paint “Black Lives Matter” on streets at locations around the city. The first such block-long message was put on a street in Brooklyn. The announcement follows the move by officials in Washington, D.C., to paint the slogan in enormous yellow letters on the street leading to the White House.

Arredondo said work will start in the coming week on the mural in front of Trump Tower, which was not on the city’s original list of locations.

Trump lived in Trump Tower before he took office as president but has spent little time there since. He changed his official residence to Florida last year. His business empire is still headquartered there.

Our Morning Update and Evening Update newsletters are written by Globe editors, giving you a concise summary of the day’s most important headlines. Sign up today.
Its no substitute for legislation, of course, and let's not forget that De Blasio has supported some very bad acts by the NYPD. But I always appreciate a good trolling of the Donald. And the fact that it will be impossible for anyone to walk New York Streets without being reminded that Black Lives Matter.

Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

It's also entirely possible that Mr. de Blasio had a 'wake up call' on how police violence needs to be handled, and this is part of his own personal 'I've screwed up in the past, time to start making ammends.'

Probably not, but still, if it leads to positive change, I can support it.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Solauren wrote: 2020-06-29 10:12pm It's also entirely possible that Mr. de Blasio had a 'wake up call' on how police violence needs to be handled, and this is part of his own personal 'I've screwed up in the past, time to start making ammends.'

Deblasio is likely also facing pressure from his family on this- he's married to a black woman, has multiracial children, and his daughter was arrested at one of the protests (and subsequently doxxed by the police union).

Civil War Man
NERRRRRDS!!!

Post by Civil War Man »

Eh, as far as I'm concerned, painting Black Lives Matter on the street in order to troll Donald Trump is just useless theatrics by powerful people who want to appear to be allies without actually doing anything to fix the underlying problems of what's going on, or even to address the symptoms of those problems. People haven't been marching out in the streets because Hulu was still streaming an episode of the Golden Girls where Betty White and Rue McClanahan are giving themselves mud mask facials and it gets mistaken for blackface, or because realtors were still using the term "master bedroom" (which isn't even relevant to racial politics, since the term originated in the 20th century), or because Rhode Island and Providence Plantations was on the state letterhead.

I mean, good for them for reevaluating things, but that's not what people have been complaining about. Many of these changes are being made because it's easy to make them with minimal backlash, because nobody actually cares about the things that are being changed. I mean, I'm one of the only people I know of my age who has actually seen Gone With the Wind, mostly just so I could say that I saw it, and I have no intention of watching it again because it's a shitty movie. HBO could have actually removed it from streaming without any fanfare, instead of just adding a disclaimer to the beginning, and you could have probably counted the number of people who would have noticed on one hand.

As much as I'm not particularly a fan of them, it fits in quite well with the term RLM coined of "passive progressivism." They're PR stunts that are done to appear progressive, but only in the most superficial way possible.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

While it is no substitute for policy changes, I think that scoffing at such displays as "just useless theatrics" is somewhat short-sighted- symbols have power, power to motivate action. Why do you think Confederate statues are such a big deal?

Because of this display, it will not be possible for anyone to walk down that street without being reminded that a) Black Lives Matter, b) that there is a movement against systemic, murderous racism in this country, and c) that this is now a mainstream movement. At the very least, it will make it harder (hopefully), for people to just forget and go back to business as usual.

Civil War Man
NERRRRRDS!!!

Post by Civil War Man »

Confederate statues are a big deal because the anger over them has been stewing for quite a long time, and now the voices who want them gone are loud enough to force their removal. Most of the statues are being removed because of popular uprisings specifically targeting and destroying them, and those being removed by the municipal governments are being removed in order to avoid similar acts being done there. If statues all over the country weren't being destroyed, the rest wouldn't be getting removed.

And painting Black Lives Matter on a street is being done specifically to make it so people will forget and go back to business. It's done to try to placate the movement, not support it. It's a show put on to create the illusion of solidarity with the bare minimum amount of effort. It's the exact same mindset that has Disney put a lesbian kiss in The Rise of Skywalker so they can brag about their inclusiveness, but have that kiss be done by a pair of extras in the background so they can edit it out of the versions they release in countries where homosexuality is illegal.

It's easier to paint Black Lives Matter on a street and brag about how you're totally sticking it to Donald Trump than to fight the NYPD's FOP in order to push through actual reforms that they will fight every step of the way. And the people doing this know that the media will have their back and pretend it's actually this huge deal, because the big networks have already gotten bored of covering the protests and want to move back to talking about coronavirus.

I'd also be interested to see how quickly that Black Lives Matter sign gets washed off once the cameras turn away to cover something else.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Civil War Man wrote: 2020-06-30 06:59pm Confederate statues are a big deal because the anger over them has been stewing for quite a long time, and now the voices who want them gone are loud enough to force their removal. Most of the statues are being removed because of popular uprisings specifically targeting and destroying them, and those being removed by the municipal governments are being removed in order to avoid similar acts being done there. If statues all over the country weren't being destroyed, the rest wouldn't be getting removed.

And painting Black Lives Matter on a street is being done specifically to make it so people will forget and go back to business. It's done to try to placate the movement, not support it. It's a show put on to create the illusion of solidarity with the bare minimum amount of effort. It's the exact same mindset that has Disney put a lesbian kiss in The Rise of Skywalker so they can brag about their inclusiveness, but have that kiss be done by a pair of extras in the background so they can edit it out of the versions they release in countries where homosexuality is illegal.

It's easier to paint Black Lives Matter on a street and brag about how you're totally sticking it to Donald Trump than to fight the NYPD's FOP in order to push through actual reforms that they will fight every step of the way. And the people doing this know that the media will have their back and pretend it's actually this huge deal, because the big networks have already gotten bored of covering the protests and want to move back to talking about coronavirus.

I'd also be interested to see how quickly that Black Lives Matter sign gets washed off once the cameras turn away to cover something else.
I doubt it will be removed any time soon, if only because removing it would likely spark further protests. And it seems a bit unfair to condemn New York's government for doing something it hasn't done yet and may never do.

I say nothing as to DeBlasio's intent, but even if it is to simply placate the protesters without doing anything more substantive, it may backfire. Symbols can take on a life of their own, and prove more powerful than the person who wrote them. The words "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal" were written by a loathsome, cowardly hypocrite of a man who owned and raped slaves, but those words also became a rallying cry for people demanded that the promise of equality be lived up to- including abolitionists. So point is that sometimes symbols become bigger than the people who made them. I don't know that that will happen here, but I hope it will.

GuppyShark
Sith Devotee

Post by GuppyShark »

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/cl ... int-police

A Missouri local city 'street department' painted over a BLM street mural. In casual attire. Under PD protection. "If we allow all groups to paint a message anywhere then we would have all kinds of different groups doing it," he said. "We simply cannot allow any group to paint anything on roadways."

They painted over the BLM mural with a blue line.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

GuppyShark wrote: 2020-06-30 07:56pm https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/cl ... int-police

A Missouri local city 'street department' painted over a BLM street mural. In casual attire. Under PD protection. "If we allow all groups to paint a message anywhere then we would have all kinds of different groups doing it," he said. "We simply cannot allow any group to paint anything on roadways."

They painted over the BLM mural with a blue line.
Was the mural previously approved by the city? It doesn't sound like it.

I'm not justifying painting it over- that's an obvious attempt to assert white supremacy under the usual guise of "law and order". But the fact that an unauthorized mural was painted over in Missouri does not mean that an authorized one in New York is likely to meet the same fate. Different situations.

If it does get painted over, then I'll happily join in condemning DeBlasio for doing so.

MKSheppard

Post by MKSheppard »

Link
BALTIMORE, Md. (WBFF) -- Living Classrooms Foundation and Historic Ships in Baltimore have decided to remove the name of the former U.S. Coast Guard Cutter Taney.

The name is being removed in support of the local, national, and global call to remove symbols venerating oppression and racial injustice.

After notification to the U.S. Coast Guard and in coordination with the City of Baltimore, this decision was approved by Living Classrooms Foundation’s Board of Trustees and their Historic Ships in Baltimore Advisory Board.

James Piper Bond, President and CEO of Living Classrooms Foundation, states “We have been inspired that now is the time to make this change. Taney’s ruling was an abomination and a great injustice towards African Americans. The national historic landmark we are charged with stewarding should be reflective of our values of equality and opportunity for all.”

“We are not erasing history,” states Bond. “Nor is it our intention to minimize the service and sacrifice of the men and women who have served with honor aboard the U.S. Coast Guard Cutter Taney. Our intention is to learn from history and celebrate the legacy of the ship and those who served aboard.”

Now the ship will be referred to by its hull identification, WHEC 37, which stands for High Endurance Cutter.

USCGC Taney is a national historic landmark and the last surviving warship from the attack on Pearl Harbor. At the request of the City, since 1994, Living Classrooms has been the steward of the former USCGC Taney. The organization has operated the ship as a museum for the general public, a “living classroom” for thousands of students, and as a memorial to the men and women who served aboard her and in our armed forces. Living Classrooms’ education programs have focused on the important role the ship and her crew has played in serving the United States. Each year, on December 7th, people from around the country gather on board the ship for a Pearl Harbor Remembrance so that we do not forget that infamous day in 1941.

Living Classrooms recently completed a capital campaign raising $420,000 to dry dock the ship for critical repairs and preservation. The work will take place at the U.S. Coast Guard Yard in Curtis Bay in fall 2020.

The former USCGC Taney (WHEC 37) was named after Roger B. Taney because of his position as Secretary of the U.S. Treasury, which occurred prior to his selection as Chief Justice of the Supreme Court. She is one of seven sister ships that were named after U.S. Treasury Secretaries. However, Roger B. Taney is best known and reviled as the Chief Justice of the U.S. Supreme Court who delivered the majority opinion in the Dred Scott v. Sandford case. Taney, speaking for seven members of the Court, declared that all African Americans – slave or free – were not U.S. citizens at the time of the country’s Founding and could not become citizens. He asserted that the Founders thought that blacks were an inferior class of humans and had “no rights which the white man was bound to respect,” and no right to sue in federal court. This was a gross act of injustice toward African Americans. Taney could have stopped there, but he believed this decision could end the sectional conflict over the expansion of slavery. He declared that the Missouri Compromise was unconstitutional, that Congress had no power to regulate slavery in the territories, and that slavery could become legal throughout the nation. Finally, Taney pronounced that Dred Scott, despite the years he spent in the free state and territory that allowed other slaves to claim their freedom, was still a slave.

Upon determining the next steps, Living Classrooms will continue its strong tradition of education with the development of programming and a curriculum explaining the history of the Dred Scott decision, how this decision perpetuated and enhanced the legal foundation of structural racism, and contributed directly to events leading to the Civil War.

The Foundation will educate students of all ages about why it was important to remove the name “Taney” from this historic vessel so that the sacrifice of those who served aboard this ship is not tainted by the dark legacy of Roger B. Taney.

Existing artifacts will also be weaved into the education program.
USCG should revoke their status and take back the TANEY and give it to a city that won't pull these fuck fuck games.
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2020-06-30 01:10pm
Solauren wrote: 2020-06-29 10:12pm It's also entirely possible that Mr. de Blasio had a 'wake up call' on how police violence needs to be handled, and this is part of his own personal 'I've screwed up in the past, time to start making ammends.'

Deblasio is likely also facing pressure from his family on this- he's married to a black woman, has multiracial children, and his daughter was arrested at one of the protests (and subsequently doxxed by the police union).
His daughter's arrest and the doxxing by the police union is probably the 'wake up call' in this case.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

MKSheppard wrote: 2020-07-01 10:05pm USCG should revoke their status and take back the TANEY and give it to a city that won't pull these fuck fuck games.
Well, here's the first question - Does the city have the legal right to even do that? It is altering property that does not belong to them.

Then again, maybe that's the point. By saying they want to do this, and not being allowed to, they can 'shift the blame' to the USCG.

Nicholas
Youngling

Seattle Police clear CHOP zone

Post by Nicholas »

Surprised no one has posted this yet: https://abcnews.go.com/US/seattle-polic ... d=71551625
Seattle police clear CHOP zone, make arrests after mayor's executive order
Officers made 31 arrests as of early Wednesday.
By
Emily Shapiro
July 1, 2020, 11:42 AM
4 min read
Seattle police clear CHOP zone

Seattle’s mayor ordered the autonomous zone cleared following “ongoing violence and public safety issues.”

Following "ongoing violence and public safety issues," Seattle's mayor has issued an executive order to clear the Capitol Hill Organized Protest (CHOP) zone -- a several block, autonomous police-free zone -- and Seattle police enforced the order Wednesday morning.

Seattle Police Chief Carmen Best said in a statement, "This order, and our police response, comes after weeks of violence in and around the Capitol Hill Occupied Protest zone, including four shootings, resulting in multiple injuries and the deaths of two teenagers."

"I support peaceful demonstrations," Best said, adding, "the CHOP has become lawless and brutal. Four shootings -- two fatal -- robberies, assaults, violence and countless property crimes have occurred in this several block area."

Police began issuing dispersal orders early Wednesday, and as of 9:25 a.m. local time, officers made 31 arrests for assault, failure to disperse, obstruction and unlawful weapon possession, the department said.

The CHOP zone was formed after explosive standoffs between protesters and Seattle police after the death of George Floyd, a Black man in Minnesota who died while in police custody. Following days of clashes, Seattle police on June 8 largely withdrew from the Capitol Hill district, leaving a void for protesters.

The protesters seized a roughly six-block area, including the east precinct, to create an "autonomous police-free zone."

The zone remained for weeks, and Seattle Mayor Jenny Durkan told ABC News' "Nightline" last month that it required time and distance to de-escalate the tensions between the people and police.

"We need to have some time for people to feel that they have had the ability to protest and raise their voices and have the time to work, not just with the people on Capitol Hill but with all of Seattle," she said.

"These protests are protests fundamentally about a policing system that has tried to dominate Black Americans through the history of our country. You don't meet those protests with domination. You meet them with listening and with change," Durkan said.
I'm glad to see it confirmed that they were utopian idealists and not violent revolutionaries.

Nicholas
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

Looks like the news cycle is about done. I just checked the homepages of all the major news outlets and Fox and ABC are the only ones left with anything relating to police violence or race issues on their main page. Everyone else is back to their previously scheduled covid-19 and Russiagate reporting. Shows you how much black lives matter to the media, seems like they're only good for ratings. Ain't gonna be long until the rest of America forgets about it all and we're back to where we were a couple months ago.
aerius: I'll vote for you if you sleep with me. :)
Lusankya: Deal!
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
Highlord Laan
Jedi Master
Location: Christo-fundie Theofascist Dominion of Nebraskistan

Post by Highlord Laan »

aerius wrote: 2020-07-02 08:21pm Looks like the news cycle is about done. I just checked the homepages of all the major news outlets and Fox and ABC are the only ones left with anything relating to police violence or race issues on their main page. Everyone else is back to their previously scheduled covid-19 and Russiagate reporting. Shows you how much black lives matter to the media, seems like they're only good for ratings. Ain't gonna be long until the rest of America forgets about it all and we're back to where we were a couple months ago.
Behold, why peaceful and quiet demonstrations fail at making long term change in the modern era. Expect all of this to get Occupied into nothingness.
Never underestimate the ingenuity and cruelty of the Irish.
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Talking Points Memo
Joint Chiefs Chairman Confirms Soldiers Were Issued Bayonets For DC Protests

Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Mark Milley testifies during a Senate Armed Services Committee hearing on March 4, 2020. (Photo by Drew Angerer/Getty Images)
By Sarah Blake Morgan and James Laporta
|
July 2, 2020 4:42 p.m.
CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP) — The chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff has confirmed a report by The Associated Press that some of the service members who were mobilized to Washington, D.C., last month in response to civil unrest over the killing of George Floyd were issued bayonets. Defense documents obtained by the AP show some were not trained in riot response.

Members of the Army’s 82nd Airborne Division from Fort Bragg, North Carolina, and the 3rd U.S. Infantry Regiment, which is based in D.C. and typically guards the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier, were mobilized last month to respond to massive protests over the treatment of Black Americans and systemic issues of police brutality. But they were never actually sent to the protests after they arrived.

The soldiers were issued bayonets for their June 2 deployment — but told they were to remain in their scabbards and not attached to their service rifles, Joint Chiefs Chairman Army Gen. Mark A. Milley wrote to two U.S. representatives in a letter that was obtained by the AP. The soldiers were also told no weapons were to enter the capital without clear orders and only after nonlethal options were first reviewed, he said.

Milley said the order to mobilize the troops came from Major Army Gen. Omar Jones, who serves as commander of the military district of Washington. His letter, dated June 26, was sent to two Democratic Congressmen, Rep. Raja Krishnamoorthi of Illinois, and Rep. Ted Lieu of California, who asked him for an explanation after the AP first reported on the use of bayonets on June 2.

Roughly 700 members of the 82nd Airborne Division were sent to two military bases near the District Capitol Area. The soldiers were armed with live-rounds, bayonets, and riot gear. Bloomberg reported on June 11 that the Old Guard was also issued bayonets.

Upon arrival, neither the 82nd or The Old Guard were ever called off base and into the city to respond to protests. Division paratroopers were sent back to Fort Bragg on June 4, just days after they arrived.

But the reports also led to sharp condemnation and outrage on social media platforms.

An unclassified military document obtained by the AP also shows that some of the soldiers were not prepared to deal with the protesters. Instead commanders planned to give paratroopers the proper training within 96 hours of their arrival in Washington, the document shows.

While some infantry soldiers are trained in crowd control, especially those preparing for an overseas deployment, they don’t typically undergo training for riot control and domestic civil unrest.

In a letter to Milley on June 22, Krishnamoorthi and Lieu expressed concern that the use of bayonets could escalate any potential violence at the protests. They drew parallels to the 1970 Kent State shootings in which four students were killed by National Guardsmen.

“The escalation and violence leading up to and following those killings included those same troops meeting peaceful demonstrators with bayonets,” wrote Krishnamoorthi and Lieu.

In his response, Milley stopped short of agreeing to bar service members from deploying to domestic protests with bayonets. He said the decision would depend on individual circumstances.

In a joint statement to the AP, the U.S. representatives responded: “While we are grateful for General Milley’s responses to our questions concerning the arming of troops with bayonets for potential deployment against protesters, we were disappointed he was not willing to commit to banning the practice.,”

They added: “We recognize the necessity of the Joint Force preserving flexibility to respond to varying circumstances, but it is difficult for us to imagine a circumstance which could necessitate or justify the deployment of bayonets against American civilians.”

The bayonet news broke at the same time the AP first reported that President Donald Trump ordered military aircraft to fly above demonstrators in a “show of force,” according to two Defense Department officials, who insisted on anonymity because they were not authorized to discuss ongoing operations publicly.

Show-of-force missions within the U.S. military are designed to intimidate an opposing force and to warn of potential military action if provoked further. Army Secretary Ryan McCarthy told reporters that the incident involving an Army National Guard medical evacuation helicopter that hovered low over protesters in Washington, D.C., is under investigation.

Milley also found himself embroiled in controversy over the White House’s response to the protesters, especially after he walked with President Donald Trump to a photo-op outside St. John’s Church after passing through Lafayette Park, which the military cleared of protesters beforehand.

He later apologized and said he “should not have been there.”
Okay, I'm done. Using bayonets on protesters. Fuck this government.
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

aerius wrote: 2020-07-02 08:21pm Looks like the news cycle is about done. I just checked the homepages of all the major news outlets and Fox and ABC are the only ones left with anything relating to police violence or race issues on their main page. Everyone else is back to their previously scheduled covid-19 and Russiagate reporting. Shows you how much black lives matter to the media, seems like they're only good for ratings. Ain't gonna be long until the rest of America forgets about it all and we're back to where we were a couple months ago.
Maybe this is unrealistic thinking, but maybe this is one step towards "new media" (youtube, social media, media outlets which aren't "mainstream") replacing "old media." If this manages to continue on and only reported by new media, it could lead to less people going to mainstream media for news. Heck there is already a large distrust of media in the US according to surveys.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.