Conflict erupts at Minneapolis, L.A. protests over George Floyd death

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Straha
Lord of the Spam

Re: Conflict erupts at Minneapolis, L.A. protests over George Floyd death

Post by Straha »

In Buffalo a 75 Year Old Peace Activist tried to return a lost SWAT Helmet to the police.

The police flipped him on his back, smashing his head into the concrete, and walked around him while he bled out on the sidewalk.

The police claimed he tripped. Video was posted that showed that was, absolutely, not the case.

The police department suspended the two cops who flipped him without pay. The rest of the SWAT force has since resigned from the swat team in protest to the suspension. Their actual argument is that they were just following orders.

ACAB.

EDIT: I'll add, the most amazing part of this is that the cops can't even organize a walkout correctly. It's astounding.
'After 9/11, it was "You're with us or your with the terrorists." Now its "You're with Straha or you support racism."' ' - The Romulan Republic

'You're a bully putting on an air of civility while saying that everything western and/or capitalistic must be bad, and a lot of other posters (loomer, Stas Bush, Gandalf) are also going along with it for their own personal reasons (Stas in particular is looking through rose colored glasses)' - Darth Yan
Gaid
Redshirt

Post by Gaid »

I think there are plenty of other cops more than willing to be on SWAT.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Straha wrote: 2020-06-05 05:34pm In Buffalo a 75 Year Old Peace Activist tried to return a lost SWAT Helmet to the police.

The police flipped him on his back, smashing his head into the concrete, and walked around him while he bled out on the sidewalk.

The police claimed he tripped. Video was posted that showed that was, absolutely, not the case.

The police department suspended the two cops who flipped him without pay. The rest of the SWAT force has since resigned from the swat team in protest to the suspension. Their actual argument is that they were just following orders.

ACAB.

EDIT: I'll add, the most amazing part of this is that the cops can't even organize a walkout correctly. It's astounding.
Tell them since they resigned, they forfeited their pension.
Tell them any more shit like this if they stay (making claims that are later proven false), they forfeit their pension.

Hell, tell all cops that.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Solauren wrote: 2020-06-05 06:19pm
Straha wrote: 2020-06-05 05:34pm *snip
Tell them since they resigned, they forfeited their pension.
Tell them any more shit like this if they stay (making claims that are later proven false), they forfeit their pension.

Hell, tell all cops that.
SWAT force is an additional thing on top of being a police officer most places. First you get a position as a police officer then later via hard work/cronyism/they needed a guy you can opt to be part of SWAT and a few times a year/month/once a week you go down and do SWAT things be it practice raids, drills, seminars, classroom or in field real life SWAT work. These police officers did not give up their jobs just resigned from that program.

SWAT as a program has widely different requirements between departments, widely different levels of funding, staffing and commitment. In some places going SWAT means that's all you do, in others it just means your name is on a list to play dress up when your Chief wants to show off and raid someone's house who failed to show up to court.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Glad they resigned. That's 57 less entitled wannabe Gestapo in uniform.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Wow: the co-founder of Reddit, Alexis Ohanian, has resigned from the board, and urged Reddit to replace him with a black candidate. He has also pledged to use his future income from Reddit stock to serve the black community and oppose racial hate.

Reddit has said it will honour his request to replace him with a black board member.

https://cnbc.com/2020/06/05/reddits-oha ... unity.html
Reddit Co-founder Alexis Ohanian on Friday announced his resignation from the company’s board, saying he was stepping down and urging the company to replace him with a black person.

Ohanian also committed to using future gains from his Reddit stock to serve the black community and focus on curbing racial hate.

Alexis Ohanian holds daughter Alexis Olympia Ohanian Jr. following the women's singles match between his wife, Serena Williams, and Katie Boulter of Great Britain during day six of the 2019 Hopman Cup at RAC Arena on January 03, 2019 in Perth, Australia.

Alexis Ohanian holds daughter Alexis Olympia Ohanian Jr. following the women’s singles match between his wife, Serena Williams, and Katie Boulter of Great Britain during day six of the 2019 Hopman Cup at RAC Arena on January 03, 2019 in Perth, Australia.

Reddit Co-founder Alexis Ohanian on Friday announced his resignation from the company’s board, saying he was stepping down and urging the company to replace him with a black candidate.

“I’m writing this as a father who needs to be able to answer his black daughter when she asks: ‘What did you do?’” Ohanian wrote in a blog post.

Ohanian, who is married to professional tennis player Serena Williams, also committed to using future gains from his Reddit stock to serve the black community and focus on curbing racial hate. To start, Ohanian said he would donate $1 million to former NFL player and activist Colin Kaepernick’s Know Your Rights Camp.

“I believe resignation can actually be an act of leadership from people in power right now. To everyone fighting to fix our broken nation: do not stop,” Ohanian said.

Reddit plans to honor Ohanian’s request that his board seat be filled by a black candidate, CEO and Co-founder Steve Huffman said in a post on Friday. Huffman thanks Ohanian for his service to the company, and he added that Reddit will update its content policy, which will include a statement on hate.

“Despite making significant progress over the years, we have to turn a mirror on ourselves and be willing to do the hard work of making sure we are living up to our values in our product and policies,” Huffman said in his post.

Ohanian co-founded Reddit in 2005. After selling the company to Conde Nast in 2006, Ohanian and co-founder Steve Huffman returned to the company full time in 2015. Ohanian stepped back from a day-to-day role in 2018 while continuing to serve on the board.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

Straha
Lord of the Spam

Post by Straha »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2020-06-05 06:40pm Glad they resigned. That's 57 less entitled wannabe Gestapo in uniform.
They're still in uniform. Just not on the SWAT Force.
'After 9/11, it was "You're with us or your with the terrorists." Now its "You're with Straha or you support racism."' ' - The Romulan Republic

'You're a bully putting on an air of civility while saying that everything western and/or capitalistic must be bad, and a lot of other posters (loomer, Stas Bush, Gandalf) are also going along with it for their own personal reasons (Stas in particular is looking through rose colored glasses)' - Darth Yan
Aether
Youngling

Post by Aether »

Straha wrote: 2020-06-05 05:34pm In Buffalo a 75 Year Old Peace Activist tried to return a lost SWAT Helmet to the police.

ACAB.

At first I couldn't tell why the guy went up to the police, I see now he had a helmet in his hand. Guy thought he was doing a good thing.

"Their actual argument is that they were just following orders."
Ahh, the Nuremberg defense. I didn't see this stated in the article. Maybe I am blind or can't read.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

loomer wrote: 2020-06-05 12:58pm They're also renaming part of the street to Black Lives Matter Plaza. It'll make Trump foam at the mouth but it is purely performative, and the Black leftists I follow are displeased by it.
"performative" or not, symbols matter. Symbols can inspire the rise or fall of a nation, and Lafayette Square has become one.

They are, of course, of limited use, and can be little more than a PR stunt, if they do not inspire further action.

But yeah, this'll sting Trump's ego like hell.

Straha
Lord of the Spam

Post by Straha »

Oregon Police conspired with the Proud Boys to let them avoid curfew and so they didn't need to answer the tough question of "Why arrest black people but not white people?"

ACAB.

Straha
Lord of the Spam

Post by Straha »

Aether wrote: 2020-06-05 07:13pm At first I couldn't tell why the guy went up to the police, I see now he had a helmet in his hand. Guy thought he was doing a good thing.

"Their actual argument is that they were just following orders."
Ahh, the Nuremberg defense. I didn't see this stated in the article. Maybe I am blind or can't read.
It may not be in that article. Here it is from local news:
Buffalo News wrote:"Our position is these officers were simply following orders from Deputy Police Commissioner Joseph Gramaglia to clear the square," Evans said. "It doesn't specify clear the square of men, 50 and under or 15 to 40. They were simply doing their job. I don't know how much contact was made. He did slip in my estimation. He fell backwards."

Evans said the PBA stands "behind those officers 100%" and that the union would pay for any defense costs for the two officers, Evans said.
ACAB.

Aether
Youngling

Post by Aether »

Straha wrote: 2020-06-05 07:28pm Oregon Police conspired with the Proud Boys to let them avoid curfew and so they didn't need to answer the tough question of "Why arrest black people but not white people?"

ACAB.
Damn. I am blessed with a lot of different friends across the political spectrum, but I gua-ran-tee you this will be "It's only one bad apple."

I sincerely hope these protests induce change across the US. I am not partaking in the protests myself even though several friends are. I did donate to the ACLU though.
Gaid
Redshirt

Post by Gaid »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2020-06-05 07:19pm "performative" or not, symbols matter. Symbols can inspire the rise or fall of a nation, and Lafayette Square has become one.

They are, of course, of limited use, and can be little more than a PR stunt, if they do not inspire further action.

But yeah, this'll sting Trump's ego like hell.
Like I said earlier, the budgetary stuff they're more interested in is more September lobbying(which is more a curse word these days), and takes effect in January 2021 after it gets its cursory looksie in Congress and is pushed into the what is probably another continuing budget.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Aether wrote: 2020-06-05 07:43pm
Straha wrote: 2020-06-05 07:28pm Oregon Police conspired with the Proud Boys to let them avoid curfew and so they didn't need to answer the tough question of "Why arrest black people but not white people?"

ACAB.
Damn. I am blessed with a lot of different friends across the political spectrum, but I gua-ran-tee you this will be "It's only one bad apple."

I sincerely hope these protests induce change across the US. I am not partaking in the protests myself even though several friends are. I did donate to the ACLU though.
I'll be attending a protest Sunday.

I haven't donated yet, but probably will throw some money the ACLU's way once I make sure my bills are paid off, as well as continuing my volunteering and donating to the Democratic Party's election efforts.

Straha
Lord of the Spam

Post by Straha »

A friend of mine who does serious organizing and advocacy work in Baltimore has been sharing this chart explaining the difference between surface level reforms of the police and methods to abolish their power and rein them in. I highly recommend it.

loomer
Sith Marauder

Post by loomer »

Quick note while I'm focused on Australia, but Portland police have again deployed chemical weapons against non-violent protestors even though they've been directed to cease utilizing them.
"Doctors keep their scalpels and other instruments handy, for emergencies. Keep your philosophy ready too—ready to understand heaven and earth. In everything you do, even the smallest thing, remember the chain that links them. Nothing earthly succeeds by ignoring heaven, nothing heavenly by ignoring the earth." M.A.A.A
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

loomer wrote: 2020-06-06 02:49am Quick note while I'm focused on Australia, but Portland police have again deployed chemical weapons against non-violent protestors even though they've been directed to cease utilizing them.
So now we're at the point where police are disobeying orders from local government to act as fascist enforcers.

Fortunately a significant portion of the military leadership seems to be reluctant to simply act as foot soldiers for Trump still.

What I think we're getting right now is some foreshadowing of who will likely follow Trump's orders and who won't when/if he gives the order to surpress or overturn the election.

loomer
Sith Marauder

Post by loomer »

So while I had my focus here on Australia, Portland apparently heated up again as the protestors retaliated against regime forces who gassed them by pelting them with stones using slingshots and attempting to storm the local garrison of the militarized police force. It's as though repeatedly teargassing, macing, and beating crowds radicalizes them or something.
"Doctors keep their scalpels and other instruments handy, for emergencies. Keep your philosophy ready too—ready to understand heaven and earth. In everything you do, even the smallest thing, remember the chain that links them. Nothing earthly succeeds by ignoring heaven, nothing heavenly by ignoring the earth." M.A.A.A
loomer
Sith Marauder

Post by loomer »

Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Good news folks

Turns out racial violence is great for your 401k ....
Take from CNN this really was a graphic on a Fox News story about market performance after major civil rights incidents.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
loomer
Sith Marauder

Post by loomer »

Countdown to Trump using that for another of his 'George would be proud, things are great' bullshit speeches?
Straha
Lord of the Spam

Post by Straha »

Eulogy
Jedi Knight

Post by Eulogy »

Considering that the last time a big police department went on strike the crime rates went down, I'd just let them strike. Bye you spoiled bitches, shove your Blue Wall up your ass!
"A word of advice: next time you post, try not to inadvertently reveal why you've had no success with real women." Darth Wong to Bubble Boy
"I see you do not understand objectivity," said Tom Carder, a fundie fucknut to Darth Wong
Gaid
Redshirt

Post by Gaid »

"Philly police threaten to show who should be fired after DA files charges against Inspectors"
Straha
Lord of the Spam

Post by Straha »

A pretty good video about what's going on in the US and the rhetoric we use around the cops and protests: