William Barr lets Roger Stone off easy, four prosecutors resign in protest.

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Re: William Barr lets Roger Stone off easy, four prosecutors resign in protest.

Post by bilateralrope »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2020-02-20 10:59pm
Mr Bean wrote: 2020-02-20 10:25pm He got half the time for witness tampering, lying to congress and obstruction of justice (Seven felonies total) that your average first time offender gets for enough weed for three fun weekends.

Worse still despite Judge Amy Berman Jackson stating his threats would not be tolerated he made threats against her as well and it looks like it got him a lighter than average sentence. Stone could have face twenty years for the witness tampering and he was STILL trying to do it while the trial started up via twitter and facebook.
Rule of law? What rule of law?

I can really only think of three possibilities, here:

1. The Judge is a secret Trumper.

2. She was intimidated by Trump's actions into giving his lacky a lighter sentence.

3. She did this in the hopes that if she gave him a relatively light sentence, Trump might not outright pardon/commute it.
One podcast I listen to pointed out two things:
- The initial recommendation was at the high end of the recommended sentencing range. Because the rules set by the Trump administration require prosecutors to always recommend the high end.
- Judge Jackson regularly gives sentences near the low end of the range.

So I'm thinking she just ruled like she would have without Barr trying to intervene.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Maybe, but it looks fishy under the circumstances. And whatever the reason, its pretty fucking sad that Putin/Trump's go-between gets less for lying to Congress and obstructing justice than, say, a poor black man is apt to get for dealing weed. Not that lenient treatment for the rich and white is anything new, of course.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2020-02-22 02:11am Maybe, but it looks fishy under the circumstances. And whatever the reason, its pretty fucking sad that Putin/Trump's go-between gets less for lying to Congress and obstructing justice than, say, a poor black man is apt to get for dealing weed. Not that lenient treatment for the rich and white is anything new, of course.
Sure, taking this one case in isolation looks fishy. But it should be the "I need more information" kind of fishy, not "this judge is dodgy".

As for the disparity for the sentences of different kinds of crime, yes that's a problem. But what can judges do about it ?
Better to complain about it to people who can change the law to fix this disparity.