Indonesia introduces first female flogging squad

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

loomer
Sith Marauder

Post by loomer »

‘Have no mercy for those who violate God’s law’, police chief says

Samuel Osborne
@SamuelOsborne93
Wednesday 29 January 2020 10:14

Indonesia has introduced a female flogging squad to punish women who violate Islamic law.

The latest recruit of an eight-member team has been pictured punishing an unmarried woman caught in a hotel room with a man.

The officer, who wore a white cloth mask and a brown burqa, can be seen whipping the back of a woman kneeling on the ground.

“I think she did a good job. Her technique was nice,” Banda Aceh sharia police chief investigator Zakwan told the Agence France-Presse news agency.

The punishment took place in Aceh, the only region in Indonesia that implements sharia law.

Public whipping with a rattan cane for a number of punishments in Indonesia, such as drinking alcohol, adultery and having same-sex relations.

As more women have been charged with morality crimes, Aceh has sought to follow precepts in Islamic law which say women should whip females found guilty of violating sharia.

It has taken years to form the region’s first female unit, AFP reported.

“We train them to make sure they’re physically fit and teach them how to do a proper whipping,” Mr Zakwan told the agency.

To get past the mental hurdle of whipping fellow citizens, Mr Zakwan said, you need to look to God.

“It’s kind of an indoctrination that we give to them so they have a better understanding of their role – have no mercy for those who violate God’s law.”

Human rights groups have condemned flogging as a brutal and barbaric method of punishment.

“Flogging people is a brutal and particularly barbaric practice, no matter who carries out the punishment,” Andreas Harsono, Indonesia researcher at Human Rights Watch, told The Independent.

“Flogging – by women or men – has no place in modern Indonesia, and the government of Jakarta should stop turning a blind eye to this torture.”

Last year, a man and a woman were whipped until they passed out in Aceh.

The 22-year-old man was beaten unconscious during a punishment of 100 lashings, then resuscitated before the flogging resumed.

In a separate lashing, a woman who was sentenced to 30 lashes fell unconscious during her punishment for being found “in the company of a man other than her male guardian”.

Public canings regularly draw large crowds who are allowed to take photos and record the beatings.

Indonesia’s president, Joko Widodo, has called for the end of public floggings. However, he has little control over Aceh, which was granted a special autonomous status in 2005.
Source

I suppose we now know the Sharia version of the 'hire more women prison guards' joke. On a serious note, my general position is that corporal punishments are not inherently wrong per se when embedded in the appropriate cultural practices and below a threshold of serious harm, but it still troubles me whenever it's expanded for anything but the most serious offences, and I won't pretend that the expansion of floggings further in Indonesia doesn't make me uneasy (the establishment of a female flogging squad necessarily means that those courts which had previously declined to pursue it as a penalty for women will no longer be able to cite modesty and tradition in combination to justify that stance.) This is in no small part because of the severity of the floggings involved as well as the relatively minor nature of the offences and the religious justification for the penalty.
"Doctors keep their scalpels and other instruments handy, for emergencies. Keep your philosophy ready too—ready to understand heaven and earth. In everything you do, even the smallest thing, remember the chain that links them. Nothing earthly succeeds by ignoring heaven, nothing heavenly by ignoring the earth." M.A.A.A
Eulogy
Jedi Knight

Re: Indonesia introduces first female flogging squad

Post by Eulogy »

I can't help but think that this is only going to increase the number of crimes committed by those who'd like this sort of thing.
"A word of advice: next time you post, try not to inadvertently reveal why you've had no success with real women." Darth Wong to Bubble Boy
"I see you do not understand objectivity," said Tom Carder, a fundie fucknut to Darth Wong
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

I suspect this isn't "fun times" flogging or "recreational scolding" but rather a consistently unpleasant, painful, and awful type of flogging that no one would enjoy.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
loomer
Sith Marauder

Post by loomer »

Eulogy wrote: 2020-02-08 01:22pm I can't help but think that this is only going to increase the number of crimes committed by those who'd like this sort of thing.
I think you'll find that even us perverts don't particularly enjoy the kind of flogging being doled out here, let alone the ingredients of public shame and permanent injury they tend to blur in.
"Doctors keep their scalpels and other instruments handy, for emergencies. Keep your philosophy ready too—ready to understand heaven and earth. In everything you do, even the smallest thing, remember the chain that links them. Nothing earthly succeeds by ignoring heaven, nothing heavenly by ignoring the earth." M.A.A.A
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

How did I guess it was Aceh when I read the title?
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

Why are fundies always so obsessed with the sex life of other, consenting adults?