Canadian Federal Election 2019.

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Canadian Federal Election 2019.

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Figured it was time for a general thread discussing this (before Elections Canada decides forum discussions are partisan advertizing and I have to register as a sponsor).

To start things off, the NDP has said it will not support a Conservative minority government after the Liberals uncovered a video of Conservative Party leader Andrew Scheer making homophobic remarks against gay marriage in 2005:

https://cbc.ca/news/politics/singh-sche ... -1.5256647
NDP Leader Jagmeet Singh said today his party would not support a Conservative government led by Andrew Scheer in a minority Parliament scenario after October's federal election.

The statement by Singh on Thursday came after the Liberals circulated a video of the Conservative leader speaking out against same-sex marriage during a debate in the House of Commons nearly 15 years ago.

"The resurfacing of Andrew Scheer's disgusting prejudice against LGBTQI2S+ people and families is very painful for many Canadians," Singh said in his statement.

"This is exactly why, if Canadians deliver a minority government in October, I will not prop up Andrew Scheer and the Conservatives. We can't trust Mr. Scheer or his caucus to champion the fundamental rights of Canadians."

On Thursday, Public Safety Minister Ralph Goodale tweeted a video of a 2005 speech by Scheer in which he opposed the Civil Marriage Act, which legalized same-sex marriage in Canada later that year. The Liberals are pressing Scheer to attend the upcoming Ottawa Pride parade.

The Pride parade in the national capital takes place Sunday, just a week after Ottawa Mayor Jim Watson came out as openly gay after decades in public life.

A Conservative minority government needing the support of the NDP to survive in a minority Parliament is not an unlikely scenario.

The polls suggest both the Liberals and Conservatives likely would fall short of a majority if an election were held today and would need the support of another party to govern. In the current context, the NDP is the only party likely to win enough seats to hold the balance of power.

What Scheer said in 2005
"There is nothing more important to society than the raising of children, for its very survival requires it," Scheer said in his 2005 speech to the Commons, delivered about a year after he was elected as the Conservative MP for the Saskatchewan riding of Regina-Qu'Appelle for the first time.

"Homosexual unions are by nature contradictory to this," he continued.

"There is no complementarity of the sexes. Two members of the same sex may use their God-given free will to engage in acts, to co-habit and to own property together. They may commit themselves to monogamy. They may pledge to remain in a loving relationship for life.

"In that sense they have many of the collateral features of marriage, but they do not have its inherent feature, as they cannot commit to the natural procreation of children. They cannot therefore be married."

Most Conservative MPs voted against the gay marriage bill. So did a number of Liberal MPs — as the Conservatives pointed out today in their reply to the Liberals' attack.

Goodale himself voted in favour of legalizing same-sex marriage in 2005, but voted against a private member's motion calling for the recognition of same-sex spouses in 1995.

In 1999, Goodale voted in favour of a motion embracing the definition of marriage as a bond between one man and one woman, and saying that Parliament should do what it can to protect it.

The Conservatives, meanwhile, accused the Liberals of trying to distract Canadians from the SNC-Lavalin scandal.

"Andrew Scheer unequivocally supports equal LGBTQ rights, including same-sex marriage as defined in law," the Conservative Party said in a statement. "He has advocated in the House for marginalized LGBTQ communities around the world."

Scheer has softened his stance on same-sex marriage since the debates over the Civil Marriage Act.

He supported a move to erase the traditional definition of marriage from the Conservative Party of Canada's policy book at its 2016 convention, arguing Canadians already had their say in two elections where same-sex marriage was a major issue, and that it had been legal for more than a decade.

But the Conservative leader has declined to march in Pride parades.
Meanwhile, Trudeau continues to be hammered on SNC-Lavalin, and continues to act like a guilty man.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Re: Canadian Federal Election 2019.

A billboard in support of the Peoples' Party opposing "mass immigration":

https://globalnews.ca/news/5806296/anti ... billboard/
WATCH: A controversial billboard ad that endorses the People’s Party of Canada has popped up in Bedford. And as Graeme Benjamin reports, the party is distancing itself from the billboard, but not necessarily from its message.

- A A +
A new billboard that endorses the People’s Party of Canada (PPC) and calls on voters to “say NO to mass immigration” has many wondering how the ad was approved in the first place.

The billboard along the Bedford Highway, featuring an image of People’s Party Leader Maxime Bernier, was first seen by Halifax commuters Friday morning.

Reaction to the message was swift, with many calling for its immediate removal.

@RhondaBrown5 Very disappointed that this is allowed to be displayed.

Maggie Archibald (@maggiearchibald) August 23, 2019
@RhondaBrown5 It's disgusting and should be taken down.

Laura Krabappel (@laurakrabappel) August 23, 2019
@RhondaBrown5 I am very disappointed that Pattison would allow a billboard to go up that says this.

allyson (@allieawake) August 23, 2019
READ MORE: Elections Canada slammed after warning groups climate change may be ‘partisan’ issue

But according to the People’s Party, they had nothing to do with the billboard’s installation.

“The billboards are not the product of the People’s Party of Canada,” Johanne Mennie, the party’s executive director, said in a phone interview Friday. “They are authorized by a third party and the PPC has not been in any contact with this third party.”

According to the bottom of the ad, it’s authorized by True North Strong and Free Advertising Corp. That organization is headed up by Frank Smeenk, the president and CEO of mining company KWG Resources in Toronto.

No one with the company replied to a request for comment. According to The Canadian Press, the group filed interim financial returns with Elections Canada that show it spent $59,890 on billboards in “select cities in Canada.” The billboards have also been seen in Winnipeg, Ottawa and Vancouver.

Randy Otto with Pattison Outdoor would not comment on the advertisement or its message, but noted that the company that paid for the advertisement is “clearly displayed” at the bottom.

“If they wish to discuss the terms of the contract, that would be up to them,” Otto said.

The People’s Party’s controversial views include the end of “official” multiculturalism in Canada and the preservation of “Canadian values and culture.” Bernier has vowed to axe the Canadian Multiculturalism Act if elected and cancel all funding that promotes the concept.

The party was founded last year and plans to run candidates in every riding in the upcoming federal election.

The PPC would not comment on whether they have plans to seek the billboard’s removal. But several residents in Halifax on Friday wanted to see it gone.

“In more liberal times, that would not be the sort of thing that anyone would want to be associated with,” said Andrew Kernohan.

“It’s a bit on the miserable side.”

Arshia Vosoughi, whose family immigrated to Canada from Iran when he was just 7 years old, points to the economic boost that immigration can provide.

“My parents are doctors … a very high number of skilled jobs are immigrants who come from different countries. I think it’s ridiculous to say ‘no immigration,'” said Vosoughi.

“It’s one of the least Canadian things I’ve seen in all my time in this country.”

Nova Scotia politicians have also taken to social media to condemn the message.

How about no to Maxime Bernier, instead. There's no place in Nova Scotia for the PPC's politics of fear & division.

Our province is a welcoming place, one where newcomers become our neighbours. We also understand that immigration is key to addressing our demographic challenges. https://t.co/RA0czEYOix

— Andy Fillmore, MP (@AndyFillmoreHFX) August 23, 2019

As Premier, I welcome everyone to Nova Scotia – but I don’t welcome this negative, divisive tone. Our population is at an all-time high, unemployment is at a record low and our economy is growing, in large part thanks to immigration. That’s fact, not opinion. https://t.co/3xI5iWOL7w

— Stephen McNeil (@StephenMcNeil) August 23, 2019

Immigration is critical to the future of Nova Scotia and Canada. This type of rhetoric only creates division. Very disappointing to see this being promoted on a billboard in Nova Scotia. https://t.co/kv6dsOphmx

— Tim Houston (@TimHoustonNS) August 23, 2019

Dalhousie University political sociologist Howard Ramos is unsure of how effective the ad will be, as there’s a great deal of support for immigration in the Atlantic region.

“Certainly there will be some people in Halifax that will respond to it, but the overwhelming majority of people in Halifax are pro-immigration. So I don’t see this having a lot of resonance or ability to attract a large base of people,” Ramos said.

“This kind of message doesn’t have legitimacy in Atlantic Canada and there’s little room for it.”

© 2019 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.
As the article notes, Peoples' Party leader Bernier has announced his intention to end "official" multiculturalism and all funding for it in Canada, and promote "Canadian values and culture". So its pretty clear that the "Peoples' Party" has a definition of "people" that only extends to native-born, traditionally Western, probably white people.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Update:

Canadian leadership debate tonight.

Meanwhile, Scheer is in the hot seat, not for being a homophobe or a corporatist whore who's soft on climate change, but for... being a duel citizen of the US and Canada. The implication (when its not outright stated) being that the loyalty of someone with duel citizenship can't be trusted.

As a duel citizen, I take these attitudes as an insult to my own citizenship and status as a Canadian, and as discrimination on the basis of national origin. Scheer should lose for many, many reasons, but not for this. Not that he's winning any points with me by first downplaying and then renouncing his duel citizenship, essentially conceding the point to the bigots rather than standing proudly for who he is and his equal right to participate in Canadian politics regardless of his duel citizenship.

Tribble
Sith Devotee

Post by Tribble »

Since I can't decide who to vote for off the top of my head this time around... I think I'm going to vote for the most hard-right wing party possible because I know it'll annoy the people on this board and in effect I'll be cancelling out one of their votes :P
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - The official Troll motto, as stated by Adam Savage
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Tribble wrote: 2019-10-07 07:19pm Since I can't decide who to vote for off the top of my head this time around... I think I'm going to vote for the most hard-right wing party possible because I know it'll annoy the people on this board and in effect I'll be cancelling out one of their votes :P
A lot of Trumpers basically just voted for him to spite people they don't like, so...

The line between "Nazi" and "I'm not really a Nazi, just a troll" can be a fine one- and at some point, meaningless.

Tribble
Sith Devotee

Post by Tribble »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2019-10-07 07:52pm
Tribble wrote: 2019-10-07 07:19pm Since I can't decide who to vote for off the top of my head this time around... I think I'm going to vote for the most hard-right wing party possible because I know it'll annoy the people on this board and in effect I'll be cancelling out one of their votes :P
A lot of Trumpers basically just voted for him to spite people they don't like, so...

The line between "Nazi" and "I'm not really a Nazi, just a troll" can be a fine one- and at some point, meaningless.
Now I know I have to vote right-wing, think of it as cancelling your vote. :lol:

Hmmmm, anybody more right-wing than Bernier? :P
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - The official Troll motto, as stated by Adam Savage
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Tribble wrote: 2019-10-07 08:02pm
The Romulan Republic wrote: 2019-10-07 07:52pm

Now I know I have to vote right-wing, think of it as cancelling your vote. :lol:

Are you just trolling, or would you really vote for a Nazi just to spite some random guy on the internet who you've never met?

Because that's pathetic. And frankly just oozes privilege, that you treat voting as something so trivial and petty.

And frankly? If you'd vote for a Nazi that easily, you probably already had a lot of sympathy with their views anyway.

Also, unless you're in my riding, your vote won't really directly cancel mine. We'll be voting for different candidates, since PMs aren't directly elected.

mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2019-10-07 06:37pm Update:

Canadian leadership debate tonight.

Meanwhile, Scheer is in the hot seat, not for being a homophobe or a corporatist whore who's soft on climate change, but for... being a duel citizen of the US and Canada. The implication (when its not outright stated) being that the loyalty of someone with duel citizenship can't be trusted.

As a duel citizen, I take these attitudes as an insult to my own citizenship and status as a Canadian, and as discrimination on the basis of national origin. Scheer should lose for many, many reasons, but not for this. Not that he's winning any points with me by first downplaying and then renouncing his duel citizenship, essentially conceding the point to the bigots rather than standing proudly for who he is and his equal right to participate in Canadian politics regardless of his duel citizenship.
Ok, firstly its dual citizen not duel citizen. It just looks a bit grating on the eyes when you write it like that. :D Dual means double, duel means to fight.

Secondly, I think its different being a dual citizen and an average member of the public and being a dual citizen and a person holding public office. Australia for example doesn't discourage you from keeping your old citizenship if you're an average person, but it does disallow politicians from holding office if you have one. A person holding such an important public office has different sets of responsibility than Joe or Jane Public.

Thirdly, if Canadian conservatives are like other conservatives in the Western world, it wouldn't surprise me if they use the rhetoric of being a "traitor" or being "treasonous" if we just so happen to disagree with a specific policy. So in which case it would be funny if the same rhetoric was used against them. Of course if Canada behaves differently, then this criticism doesn't apply.
Tribble wrote: 2019-10-07 08:02pm Now I know I have to vote right-wing, think of it as cancelling your vote. :lol:
While this amuses me, wouldn't that only work if you and TRR both lived in swing states? If for example he lived in a swing state and you lived in a state really dominated by one party, your vote most probably isn't worth as much as his, strategically speaking.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
J
Kaye Elle Emenopey

Post by J »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2019-10-07 06:37pmMeanwhile, Scheer is in the hot seat, not for being a homophobe or a corporatist whore who's soft on climate change, but for... being a duel citizen of the US and Canada. The implication (when its not outright stated) being that the loyalty of someone with duel citizenship can't be trusted.

I'm sorry, we're going to have to revoke your Canadian citizenship for your incorrect usage of the word "duel", which is clearly a result of the inferior US education system and spending far too much time in America. The word you're looking for is DUAL, a duel is when two people beat each other with swords because someone has a small sausage.

I'm thinking on a longer time horizon and all options are very troubling. When looking at the economic picture we are overdue for a serious crash and it's very likely to happen during the term of the next government, and there's a good chance it'll be bad enough to make them unelectable for a very long. It would be nice to let Scheer take the fall and have his government destroyed as thoroughly as Kim Campbell's Conservatives but I'm not confident in the other parties being able to deal him a killing blow and his party will do enough damage in the meantime that it'll take decades to recover. There's still a reasonable chance he gets re-elected for a 2nd term. If the Trudeau Liberals are in power when the crash happens, we can be sure the Nazi-Cons will knife him when he's down and completely finish him and his party for at least 10-15 years, at which point we end up with a Nazi-Con majority for the foreseeable future. And that is scary as hell.
This post is a 100% natural organic product.
The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects

I'm not sure why people choose 'To Love is to Bury' as their wedding song...It's about a murder-suicide
- Margo Timmins

When it becomes serious, you have to lie
- Jean-Claude Juncker
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

J wrote: 2019-10-07 08:25pm
The Romulan Republic wrote: 2019-10-07 06:37pmMeanwhile, Scheer is in the hot seat, not for being a homophobe or a corporatist whore who's soft on climate change, but for... being a duel citizen of the US and Canada. The implication (when its not outright stated) being that the loyalty of someone with duel citizenship can't be trusted.

I'm sorry, we're going to have to revoke your Canadian citizenship for your incorrect usage of the word "duel", which is clearly a result of the inferior US education system and spending far too much time in America. The word you're looking for is DUAL, a duel is when two people beat each other with swords because someone has a small sausage.
I also spent six years in the Canadian school system, so plenty of blame to go around. :wink:

I'm thinking on a longer time horizon and all options are very troubling. When looking at the economic picture we are overdue for a serious crash and it's very likely to happen during the term of the next government, and there's a good chance it'll be bad enough to make them unelectable for a very long. It would be nice to let Scheer take the fall and have his government destroyed as thoroughly as Kim Campbell's Conservatives but I'm not confident in the other parties being able to deal him a killing blow and his party will do enough damage in the meantime that it'll take decades to recover. There's still a reasonable chance he gets re-elected for a 2nd term. If the Trudeau Liberals are in power when the crash happens, we can be sure the Nazi-Cons will knife him when he's down and completely finish him and his party for at least 10-15 years, at which point we end up with a Nazi-Con majority for the foreseeable future. And that is scary as hell.
Its difficult to predict the course of events that far ahead, and I don't see the wisdom in taking a severe loss now on the off-chance that it might avert a catastrophic loss in the future. Best to take elections one at a time, and fight each one like our lives depend on it.

I mean, its not like being in power during a recession killed the Harper government, is it?

J
Kaye Elle Emenopey

Post by J »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2019-10-07 08:32pmIts difficult to predict the course of events that far ahead, and I don't see the wisdom in taking a severe loss now on the off-chance that it might avert a catastrophic loss in the future. Best to take elections one at a time, and fight each one like our lives depend on it.

I mean, its not like being in power during a recession killed the Harper government, is it?
The Harper-Cons are the only government in my lifetime to survive a recession. One could argue the Cretien-Martin Liberals did so in the early 2000s following the tech crash, however, they went from a comfortable majority to a minority government which fell shortly thereafter. As a parent, this is what keeps me awake at night.
The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects

I'm not sure why people choose 'To Love is to Bury' as their wedding song...It's about a murder-suicide
- Margo Timmins

- Jean-Claude Juncker
Tribble
Sith Devotee

Post by Tribble »

The Romulan Republic wrote:
Are you just trolling, or would you really vote for a Nazi just to spite some random guy on the internet who you've never met?

Because that's pathetic. And frankly just oozes privilege, that you treat voting as something so trivial and petty.

And frankly? If you'd vote for a Nazi that easily, you probably already had a lot of sympathy with their views anyway.

Also, unless you're in my riding, your vote won't really directly cancel mine. We'll be voting for different candidates, since PMs aren't directly elected.
You know, I was thinking of running this for a little longer, but I can see you're about to burst a blood vessel already so I'd better stop while I'm ahead :lol:

I'll admit this was a bit of a trolling-test. Would TRR remember other posts of mine over the years, such as starting a thread dedicated to Doug Ford's stupid far-right antics? Would TRR be able to recognize when someone who has been on the board 10+ years is teasing, and join in the fun? Or would TRR immediately strike back with a "holier than thou" attitude and accuse me of being a Nazi sympathiser?

Well, thanks for clearing that one up! :lol:

Incidentally, I thought you were into the whole popular vote thing? One could imagine from that point of view first past the post is just as unfair for electing PM's up here as it is Presidents of the US?

Though being from Toronto means my vote counts for less than for anyone else outside of Alberta, so not to worry :wink:

And on a more serious note, it looks like we're headed for minority-territory, which is what I prefer tbh. Hard to tell atm if it will be Liberal or Conservatives leading.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Tribble wrote: 2019-10-07 09:14pm
The Romulan Republic wrote:

You know, I was thinking of running this for a little longer, but I can see you're about to burst a blood vessel already so I'd better stop while I'm ahead :lol:

I'll admit this was a bit of a trolling-test. Would TRR remember other posts of mine over the years, such as starting a thread dedicated to Doug Ford's stupid far-right antics? Would TRR be able to recognize when someone who has been on the board 10+ years is teasing, and join in the fun? Or would TRR immediately strike back with a "holier than thou" attitude and accuse me of being a Nazi sympathiser?

Well, thanks for clearing that one up! :lol:

Incidentally, I thought you were into the whole popular vote thing? One could imagine from that point of view first past the post is just as unfair for electing PM's up here as it is Presidents of the US?

Though being from Toronto means my vote counts for less than for anyone else outside of Alberta, so not to worry :wink:
You'll note that I did acknowledge the possibility that you were trolling. I still think its pathetic, and frankly vendettaish- deliberately hijacking a thread, by your own admission, to taunt/bait a particular poster.

As to my views on the popular vote, I'd prefer to see both the US and Canada (and every other nation, though I have less personal investment and less practical say in their affairs) to adopt election by direct popular vote, as well as a run-off system in cases where no candidate gets a majority of the vote. That, however, is not currently the case, and I was describing the Canadian system as it was, not as I wish it to be.

I have grown to despise both the US and Canadian faux-democracies, in different ways. America's for the Electoral College and rampant voter supression, Canada's for the lip service to hereditary monarchy and the Parliamentary system forcing people to choose between local and national interests when voting in Federal elections (for example, I would rather have a Green MP, but prefer to vote Liberal for PM, and unlike in the US system cannot vote for one person for leader and another party's candidate for representative), and for making it effectively impossible for an independent to ever be PM. Also the completely gratuitous and un-elected Senate. I continue to participate in them, because you work with the tools that you have, but both systems require sweeping reform to be truly just or democratic.
And on a more serious note, it looks like we're headed for minority-territory, which is what I prefer tbh. Hard to tell atm if it will be Liberal or Conservatives leading.
My ideal outcome (of those which are actually remotely plausible) would be Liberal minority, with Greens or NDP holding the balance of power.

Tribble
Sith Devotee

Post by Tribble »

mr friendly guy wrote: While this amuses me, wouldn't that only work if you and TRR both lived in swing states? If for example he lived in a swing state and you lived in a state really dominated by one party, your vote most probably isn't worth as much as his, strategically speaking.
In a sense, yes. TRR lives in B.C., which is fairly reliable in voting for left-wing / center governments IIRC. I live in Ontario, which tends to swing between Liberals and Conservatives, with a helping of NDP on the side.

In fact, one of the big issues with our elections is that Ontario (and to a lesser extent Quebec) is so dominant that other provinces tend to feel left out. To put it in perspective, Ontario alone has more population than the rest of country (except Quebec) combined. Even though we actually have fever seats per capita than most provinces (the only one lower than us is Alberta for some reason) our pull is way more than everyone else, especially given that we tend to flip. So between the swinging and the larger number of ridings, Ontario is definitely more important than B.C., strategically speaking.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Provinces don't really matter in Canadian federal elections, though. Just individual ridings. I'm in a swing riding this time around. Can't speak for Tribble's.

Tribble
Sith Devotee

Post by Tribble »

The Romulan Republic wrote: You'll note that I did acknowledge the possibility that you were trolling. I still think its pathetic, and frankly vendettaish- deliberately hijacking a thread, by your own admission, to taunt/bait a particular poster.
If you're that upset feel free and issue a report, I don't think you've reported me for anything yet and I'd like to join the club. Though to be fair now that I think of it, I was actually more hoping for something from Pital than yourself :P

Seriously dude, word of advice....take a deep breath and relax. You tend to burn people who would otherwise be on your side by immediately accusing people of being neo-Nazis at the slightest provocation. Emoticons aside, one would hope you know me well enough by now to know I was just teasing, and that far from hijacking the board I was just having a bit of fun before getting started. I'm actually not sure what to think of that... kind of amused, maybe a bit insulted? lol

Sorry if I actually offended you, but jeez...

The Romulan Republic wrote:As to my views on the popular vote, I'd prefer to see both the US and Canada (and every other nation, though I have less personal investment and less practical say in their affairs) to adopt election by direct popular vote, as well as a run-off system in cases where no candidate gets a majority of the vote. That, however, is not currently the case, and I was describing the Canadian system as it was, not as I wish it to be.

I have grown to despise both the US and Canadian faux-democracies, in different ways. America's for the Electoral College and rampant voter supression, Canada's for the lip service to hereditary monarchy and the Parliamentary system forcing people to choose between local and national interests when voting in Federal elections (for example, I would rather have a Green MP, but prefer to vote Liberal for PM, and unlike in the US system cannot vote for one person for leader and another party's candidate for representative), and for making it effectively impossible for an independent to ever be PM. Also the completely gratuitous and un-elected Senate. I continue to participate in them, because you work with the tools that you have, but both systems require sweeping reform to be truly just or democratic.
Well, I'd certainly like to see the Senate reformed. Not so sure about abolishing it as that would make smaller provinces even less important than they are now while eliminating a check (even if mostly theoretical in practice) to the PM.
The Romulan Republic wrote:Provinces don't really matter in Canadian federal elections, though. Just individual ridings. I'm in a swing riding this time around. Can't speak for Tribble's.
From a strict theoretical sense, you are correct. However, that is stretching it a bit from a practical point - provincial politics does play a considerable role in federal elections. Why do you think Doug Ford prorogued our provincial legislature and has kept his mouth shut for the past couple of months? And Provinces tend to vote in a block, at least to a degree - B.C. is reliably going to vote majority Liberal / NDP, while Alberta is going to be voting majority Conservative etc.
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

Haha hahaha, why would I be interested in the politics of a US satellite state that serves as a vessel to push US corporate agenda down Europe‘s throat?

Well, now that I am here... what should I have said? Don’t vote for fascists? If you dislike then vote against all by not voting?

Dunno.
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali
J
Kaye Elle Emenopey

Post by J »

K. A. Pital wrote: 2019-10-08 09:31am Haha hahaha, why would I be interested in the politics of a US satellite state that serves as a vessel to push US corporate agenda down Europe‘s throat?
Canadians once decided the Italian elections. Your country is next.

- Margo Timmins

- Jean-Claude Juncker
mr friendly guy
The Doctor

K. A. Pital wrote: 2019-10-08 09:31am Haha hahaha, why would I be interested in the politics of a US satellite state that serves as a vessel to push US corporate agenda down Europe‘s throat?

Well, now that I am here... what should I have said? Don’t vote for fascists? If you dislike then vote against all by not voting?

Dunno.
As Darth Wong says about the American elections, its a spectator sport. I must admit its becoming a bit of spectator sport for me. Can you imagine if an Australian prime minister went out in blackface? :lol:

Jokes aside, I thought given the election is today, it might be worthwhile to revive this thread. I do have a question for Canadians because I have heard that it might go down to the wire with the possibility neither party getting a majority in their own right. How likely in Canadian politics are parties going to enter a coalition for the chance to govern? I would have thought the Left leaning parties are more likely to do a deal with Trudeau than with the conservatives (my understanding is the other non major leftist parties like NDP will likely get more votes than the non major right wing ones). I suppose its possible Leftists hate other Leftist party almost as much as they hate conservatives, but I am hardly an expert. :D
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Tribble
Sith Devotee

Post by Tribble »

Typically in a minority government there isn’t an official coalition, but another party will support the main party for awhile to stave off another election.

In this case the Conservatives will likely win the most seats but not enough to win a majority. While ordinarily they would be given the first shot at governing I wouldn’t be surprised if the NDP and Lberals join forces to keep them out. The BQ might join as well which would mean we’d have a separatist party having an official role in government.

Should that that happen that might provoke a referendum on independence... in Alberta, where support for independence is near the 50% mark atm. As far as Albertans are concerned the rest of Canada is out to get them and shut down their oil (which is certainly true of B.C. and Quebec, though not the rest of the country). Plus they are the most conservative province in the country by a fair margin and hate whenever they are stuck with a centre / left wing government federally.
mr friendly guy
The Doctor

So if Alberta does try and get independence what would be the implication for Canada?
One thing is, then Canada becomes the third largest country by land area instead of the second (after Russia and China).
Presumably it will be easier for the Liberals to win subsequent elections since Alberta is mainly conservative and now they are out.
Can Alberta afford the universal health care Canadians are used to by itself?

Tribble
Sith Devotee

Post by Tribble »

mr friendly guy wrote: 2019-10-21 05:52am So if Alberta does try and get independence what would be the implication for Canada?
One thing is, then Canada becomes the third largest country by land area instead of the second (after Russia and China).
Presumably it will be easier for the Liberals to win subsequent elections since Alberta is mainly conservative and now they are out.
Can Alberta afford the universal health care Canadians are used to by itself?
If Alberta and/or Quebec were to separate (which is still unlikely atm) it would probably lead to breakup of the country. Once one province goes the others would eventually follow suit.

Interesting bit would be how the land would be divided up given first people treaties and that a lot of the land was originally under federal control before it was split off into individual provinces.
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

Looks to be headed for a Liberal minority so far. Probably the least bad outcome.
On the downside, we'll be going through this shit again within a couple years.
aerius: I'll vote for you if you sleep with me. :)
Lusankya: Deal!
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
Tribble
Sith Devotee

Post by Tribble »

So far the conservatives have more of the popular vote than the liberals so far, but 30+ fewer seats.

I’m sure those who advocate for the popular vote are distraught at the news that the conservatives don’t appear to be getting their fair share of the seats :wink:
Tribble
Sith Devotee

Post by Tribble »

If it turns out to be a liberal / ndp coalition and they kill transmountain I wouldn’t be surprised if Alberta has a referendum on independence. Doubly so if the BQ joins in and successfully slaps on extra pollution taxes for good measure.

Of course, the fact that B.C. is spending billions on fracking natural gas and is in the process of destroying some of their last major agricultural areas via dam building slips their minds, just as Quebec having to import half of its oil from outside the country. But never mind, screw Alberta!