Trump Administration announces that Americans can raid Canadian drug supplies

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Tribble
Sith Devotee

Trump Administration announces that Americans can raid Canadian drug supplies

Post by Tribble »

Trump's new plan could see Americans raiding Canada's drug supply

The Trump administration said Wednesday it will set up a system allowing Americans to legally import bulk quantities of lower-cost prescription drugs from Canada for the first time, raising concerns about whether the move could result in drug shortages and higher prices for Canadians.
More than a dozen organizations, including Diabetes Canada and the Best Medicines Coalition, say they are worried about the much larger American market depleting stocks at Canadian pharmacies and they would welcome a public statement from the Canadian government confirming that it will take action to help protect Canadian supplies.
Health Canada told the Star it has contacted U.S. officials to “ensure there are no adverse effects” to the supply or cost of prescription drugs.
“Ensuring that Canadians have access to the medicines they need is one of our top priorities: we constantly monitor Canada’s drug supply and will be working closely with health experts to better understand the implications for Canadians,” said Mathieu Filion, a spokesperson for federal Minister of Health Ginette Petitpas Taylor. “We’re in touch with U.S. officials and look forward to discussing today’s announcement with them.”
Asked if Canada would consider legislation to prevent the bulk import of Health Canada-approved medicines for U.S. patients, Filion said in an email: “We will first need to see what their pilot projects are before we can speculate on the next steps.”
While the main concern is shortages, Filion noted Canadians are protected from drug price spikes because prices in Canada are monitored by the Patented Medicines Review Board.

The Trump administration has promised to lower American drug prices and U.S. interest in Canadian medication has become a key issue in the American election campaign, prompting Canadian groups to urge Petitpas Taylor to act.
Kimberley Hanson, executive director of federal affairs at Diabetes Canada, said the group is reaching out to the minister seeking assurance of “decisive action.” She added that Diabetes Canada has already noted a temporary and localized shortage of insulin from a Canadian pharmacy due to Americans buying up supplies.
She called the Trump move to allow bulk drug imports a game-changer that demands assurance from Ottawa that supplies of drugs including critical insulin medication will be safeguarded.

John Adams, chair of national patient alliance the Best Medicines Coalition, said he believes bulk importation could be a reality within months given political pressures and Trump’s impatience. “The government needs to pull up its socks and figure out how to protect Canadians from having our supply hoovered by Florida,” he added.
The U.S. administration’s plan to allow lower-cost prescription drug imports from Canada weakens a long-standing ban that has long been a priority for the politically powerful pharmaceutical industry. Previous administrations have sided with the industry on imports, echoing its concerns that it could expose patients to risks from counterfeit or substandard medications.
According to Trump, U.S. patients will be able to import medications safely and effectively, with oversight from the Food and Drug Administration. The administration’s proposal would allow states, wholesalers and pharmacists to get FDA approval to import certain medications.
The administration has also asked the U.S. Health and Human Services Secretary to co-operate with Florida Governor Ron DeSantis on a new law that sets up a formal, government-run system for importing cheaper medicines to the state from Canada.
Most patients take affordable generic drugs to manage conditions such as high blood pressure or elevated blood sugars. But polls show concern about the prices of breakthrough medications for intractable illnesses like cancer or hepatitis C infection, which have costs that can run to $100,000 or more. And long-available drugs like insulin have also seen price increases that have forced some people with diabetes to ration their own doses.
The importation idea won praise from a key lawmaker, Senator Chuck Grassley, R-Iowa, chairman of the panel that oversees Medicare. Grassley said on Twitter that importation would lower prescription drug costs for Americans, and all drugs from abroad must be verified as safe by the FDA. He and Democratic presidential candidate Senator Amy Klobuchar of Minnesota are backing a bill to facilitate importation.
Drug prices are often lower in countries such as Canada because governments take a leading role in setting prices. But in the U.S., Medicare is not permitted to negotiate with drug companies.
Some experts have been skeptical of allowing imports from Canada, partly over concerns about whether Canadian suppliers have the capacity to meet the demands of the much larger U.S. market.
But consumer groups have strongly backed the idea, arguing it will pressure U.S. drugmakers to reduce their prices. They also point out that the pharmaceutical industry is a global business and many of the ingredients in medications sold in the U.S. are manufactured abroad.
AARP had pushed hard for the Florida plan, saying it’s possible to safely import lower-priced, equally effective drugs and it would promote worldwide price competition.
The drug industry lobby, Pharmaceutical Research and Manufacturers of America, has successfully blocked past efforts in Washington to allow importation. It argues that patients would be at risk of receiving counterfeit or adulterated medications.
https://www.thestar.com/business/2019/0 ... upply.html

I understand why some of the American public will buy into this scheme as things are really bad down there... but this isn't going to work. Canada's drug supply was never intended nor designed to handle a massive influx of US buyers; we simply don't have that capacity. Worse, this will cause a massive price hike in Canada as drug companies use the threat of selling their supply to Americans as leverage to force prices up higher over here. After all, why sell to Canadians when they can get more from desperate Americans? Of course the biggest problem is that Trudeau would lose a fight with a wet-paper bag... badly. There's practically zero chance he'll do anything meaningful to protect the Canadian drug supply.

So ya, assuming this goes through it's pretty much a raid - Americans will get to clear out our inventory at a cheaper price for them while we inevitably face shortages and/or end up having to pay much higher prices.
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - The official Troll motto, as stated by Adam Savage
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Re: Trump Administration announces that Americans can raid Canadian drug supplies

Post by Solauren »

This could actually force US drug companies to lower prices.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Ace Pace
Hardware Lover

Re: Trump Administration announces that Americans can raid Canadian drug supplies

Post by Ace Pace »

Solauren wrote: 2019-08-01 05:39pm This could actually force US drug companies to lower prices.
Why? If the Canadian drug supply cannot survive the expected demand, than the opposite will happen. One simplified outcome could be that the Canadian supply chain falters, the situation worsens in Canada and the private healthcare fans in the U.S. have a field day.
Brotherhood of the Bear | HAB | Mess | SDnet archivist |
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Alternative: Canadian Drug companies increase their manufacturing to meet the new demand.

This is actually backdoor access to the US Drug market, without having to fight their market dominance. Canadian companies should take advantage, and increase production.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Presupposes Canadian drug companies can actually do that, and in time to matter
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Coop D'etat
Jedi Knight

Post by Coop D'etat »

Reading the guts of the proposal, rather than just the tweets, it looks like all they are doing is a pilot program where American drug companies can sell their Canadian labels of drugs with an existing approved American equivalent. This would let them bypass existing American supply contracts. If the goal of the participants is to gain market share by undercutting their existing prices, they probably have plenty of spare production capacity and aren't likely have production shortages. That any company would even want to do this in the first place is a good indicator of how opaque, convoluted and removed from its supposed virtues as an exercise in free market enterprise the American medical system has become.

Real actual liberalization of the international prescription drug trade conducted in an intelligent fashion would probably be a very good thing overall, but actually the FDA's fairly Byzantine approval process is probably far beyond the bureaucratic skills of the Trump administration and isn't in the interest of large American pharmaceutical corporations, who benefit a lot from being better able to navigate the approval process than smaller and foreign competitors.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Solauren wrote: 2019-08-01 05:39pm This could actually force US drug companies to lower prices.
Ha!
Ace Pace wrote: 2019-08-01 05:46pm Why? If the Canadian drug supply cannot survive the expected demand, than the opposite will happen. One simplified outcome could be that the Canadian supply chain falters, the situation worsens in Canada and the private healthcare fans in the U.S. have a field day.
Solauren wrote: 2019-08-01 06:07pm Alternative: Canadian Drug companies increase their manufacturing to meet the new demand
Americans outnumber Canadians 10:1 - that's a really steep increase in production required. It could result in shortages on both sides of the border. The US already has people dying from lack of access to needed medications like insulin.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
PainRack
Emperor's Hand

Post by PainRack »

One should already note that Canada pharmacists are already blaming American medical refugees fleeing north to buy drugs for their drug shortages.

https://www.narcity.com/news/ca/canada- ... e-to-blame

It's made worse because poor American QC during the Bush years, resulted in a heparin scandal in 2008, that caused Obama to improve funding for plant inspection which in return shut down nonperforming plants, which THEN cause drug shortages in Canada as well.

https://www.biospace.com/article/a-deep ... -the-u-s-/

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articl ... po=7.57576
After slowing its manufacturing operations, Sandoz completely stopped production for a week following a small fire at its Quebec plant, and also recalled products in March because of packaging problems. In the meantime, Canadians realized that Sandoz produces most of all generic injectables in Canada, and was in fact the sole supplier of 140 injectables used by Canadian hospitals, including all forms of injectable morphine. Minor troubles in the adaptation of production to comply with existing quality-control regulations thus quickly transformed into a national catastrophe in the Canadian healthcare sector, forcing the postponement of dozens of surgeries and mobilizing every healthcare organization in the country to find a solution to shortages.
So... The Issue isn't that Canada isn't making enough drugs for itself. The issue is that the same plants are making generic drugs for North America , Big pharma camping on generics which reduce production and hence competition/surplus. The prices that Canada thus pay then only secures a minute portion of said supply , with the rest going to other markets.

Canada can't buy more... Without raising their prices.

I won't say it's a conspiracy but isn't it just fine and dandy that Trump actions won't really hurt Big Pharma and Azar comments previously was that hey, prices are too high here compared to Europe.... Europe should pay more.

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/show/dhhs- ... efinitions
Well, we actually hope that they will finally go to these other economic powers and say, pay your fair share.
Let him land on any Lyran world to taste firsthand the wrath of peace loving people thwarted by the myopic greed of a few miserly old farts- Katrina Steiner