Arsonist attacks anime studio in Japan, at least 13 believed dead, 36 injured, about thirty missing.

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Arsonist attacks anime studio in Japan, at least 13 believed dead, 36 injured, about thirty missing.

Post by The Romulan Republic »

https://www.apnews.com/b10907eaf37945889d9ee4339df92aaa
TOKYO (AP) — A man burst into an animation production studio in Kyoto and set it on fire early Thursday, killing one person, leaving 12 others presumed dead and a dozen possibly trapped inside.

The blaze injured another 36 people, some of them critically, Japanese authorities said.

The fire broke out in the three-story Kyoto Animation building in Japan’s ancient capital of Kyoto, after the suspect spread an unidentified liquid to accelerate the blaze, Kyoto prefectural police and fire department officials said.

One person died of severe burns, said fire department official Satoshi Fujiwara. Most of the 10 seriously injured people had burns. Rescuers found 12 people presumed dead on building’s first and second floors, Fujiwara said.

As many as 18 others could be still trapped on the third floor, he said.

The suspect was also injured and taken to a hospital, officials said. Police are investigating the man on suspicion of arson.

Footage on Japan’s NHK national television showed gray smoke billowing from the charred building. In other footage on TBS network showed windows blown off.

Witnesses in the neighborhood said they heard bangs coming from the building, others said they saw people coming out of the building blackened, bleeding, walking barefoot, Kyodo News reported.

Rescue officials set up an orange tent outside the studio building to provide first aid and sort out the injured.

Fire department officials say more than 70 people were in the building at the time of the fire. Many of them ran outside, but about 30 people still could not be reached.

Firefighters were searching for victims after the fire was extinguished hours later.

Kyoto Animation, better known as KyoAni, was founded in 1981 as an animation and comic book production studio, and is known for mega-hit stories featuring high school girls, including “Lucky Star,” ″K-On!” and “Haruhi Suzumiya.”
Horrific. Hopefully its not ideologically-motivated, though like all acts of mass violence, it'll be drawn into the gun control debate (as "proof" that having tighter gun control laws doesn't prevent mass killings, and that if all the employees had guns they'd still be alive).
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Eulogy
Jedi Knight

Re: Arsonist attacks anime studio in Japan, at least 13 believed dead, 36 injured, about thirty missing.

Post by Eulogy »

Hoo boy, attacking a beloved animation studio and killing their employees? I don't see this waste of flesh living long in prison.
"A word of advice: next time you post, try not to inadvertently reveal why you've had no success with real women." Darth Wong to Bubble Boy
"I see you do not understand objectivity," said Tom Carder, a fundie fucknut to Darth Wong
Eulogy
Jedi Knight

Re: Arsonist attacks anime studio in Japan, at least 13 believed dead, 36 injured, about thirty missing.

Post by Eulogy »

Ghetto edit Scratch that, the shithead who did this has already died of his burns. Shame he didn't manage to kill himself before reaching the studio.
"A word of advice: next time you post, try not to inadvertently reveal why you've had no success with real women." Darth Wong to Bubble Boy
"I see you do not understand objectivity," said Tom Carder, a fundie fucknut to Darth Wong
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Even if he hadn't there's no chance he wouldn't have been hanged.

This is the worst mass murder in Japan's postwar history.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Vendetta wrote: 2019-07-18 02:22pm Even if he hadn't there's no chance he wouldn't have been hanged.

I thought Japan didn't have the death penalty? Maybe I'm confusing it with Australia. And wasn't the Aum Shuyrinko (however that's spelled) terror attack worse?
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Straha
Lord of the Spam

Post by Straha »

Elheru Aran wrote: 2019-07-18 02:33pm
Vendetta wrote: 2019-07-18 02:22pm Even if he hadn't there's no chance he wouldn't have been hanged.

I thought Japan didn't have the death penalty? Maybe I'm confusing it with Australia. And wasn't the Aum Shuyrinko (however that's spelled) terror attack worse?
Japan has kept the Death Penalty, death by hanging. Not pretty.

Aum effected more people by far in their attacks, in the hundreds. But they never killed more than two dozen or so people.
'After 9/11, it was "You're with us or your with the terrorists." Now its "You're with Straha or you support racism."' ' - The Romulan Republic

'You're a bully putting on an air of civility while saying that everything western and/or capitalistic must be bad, and a lot of other posters (loomer, Stas Bush, Gandalf) are also going along with it for their own personal reasons (Stas in particular is looking through rose colored glasses)' - Darth Yan
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Japan does indeed have the death penalty, it's commonly sought for multiple murders. It does have a very low violent crime rate though, only 306 murders were recorded at all in 2017, so the actual number of people on death row in the country is only about 120.

The Tokyo subway attack only killed 13 people and injured 50.

The death penalty in Japan is pretty contentious with human rights agencies, partly because of the overall flaws in the criminal justice system (99% prosecution rate, very reliant on confessions, not terribly stringent on the rules for how they are obtained), and partly because of the way death row inmates are treated (solitary confinement, no communication with other prisoners, not told the date of execution)
Straha
Lord of the Spam

Post by Straha »

Vendetta wrote: 2019-07-18 02:45pm
I thought they effected a lot more than fifty people? I do know they had an earlier attack in '94 when they tried to kill a bunch of judges using sarin gas and killed ten (??) people and sickened hundreds.
'After 9/11, it was "You're with us or your with the terrorists." Now its "You're with Straha or you support racism."' ' - The Romulan Republic

'You're a bully putting on an air of civility while saying that everything western and/or capitalistic must be bad, and a lot of other posters (loomer, Stas Bush, Gandalf) are also going along with it for their own personal reasons (Stas in particular is looking through rose colored glasses)' - Darth Yan
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Cheers for the clarification, guys. And yeah, I'm aware of the fucked up criminal justice system in Japan. It's not a good one to get tied up with.

Has there been any update on motive? I guess not if it just happened today...
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Straha wrote: 2019-07-18 02:51pm
Vendetta wrote: 2019-07-18 02:45pm
I thought they effected a lot more than fifty people? I do know they had an earlier attack in '94 when they tried to kill a bunch of judges using sarin gas and killed ten (??) people and sickened hundreds.
There were temporary effects on about a thousand people, but only lasting a few hours at most.
AniThyng
Sith Devotee

Post by AniThyng »

Eulogy wrote: 2019-07-18 02:20pm Ghetto edit Scratch that, the shithead who did this has already died of his burns. Shame he didn't manage to kill himself before reaching the studio.
Do you have a source that he already died? I can't find it on English media
I do know how to spell
AniThyng is merely the name I gave to what became my favourite Baldur's Gate II mage character :P
SpottedKitty
Jedi Master

Post by SpottedKitty »

AniThyng wrote: 2019-07-18 09:42pm
Eulogy wrote: 2019-07-18 02:20pm Ghetto edit Scratch that, the shithead who did this has already died of his burns. Shame he didn't manage to kill himself before reaching the studio.
Do you have a source that he already died? I can't find it on English media
The latest BBC report says that the suspect is in hospital under police guard, and also says another of the victims died. No indication that it's the same person, although it's always possible a reporter accidentally mixed up the two statements.
“Despite rumor, Death isn't cruel — merely terribly, terribly good at his job.”
Terry Pratchett, Sourcery