Trump tells minority Congresswomen to "go back where they came from"

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Re: Trump tells minority Congresswomen to "go back where they came from"

Post by Broomstick »

Straha wrote: 2019-08-10 01:51pmAlso interesting to note that you cut out of this post the discussion of the racial invective you've engaged in. Just because you keep ignoring it doesn't mean it's going to go away, and frankly the fact that you're acting like it will kills any good will I might have had in reading that exchange. You engaged in a racist act, when are you going to own it and apologize?
What racist act? Loomer going on and on about how he's a "whitefella" who wants to adopt Native culture/language/whatever despite his own admission he's an Anglo-Australian with no actual claim to any of it? That yes, he has some Native heritage somewhen but it's so dilute but yet he presumes to speak for all those Natives out there with his grand de-colonization plan? And I mocked him for it?

Sounds like yet another white person wanting to exploit Native/minority cultures for his own ends to me.

Again, you accuse me of a racist act... but isn't that something to report to the mods if there is any actually basis to that accusation?
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Straha
Lord of the Spam

Post by Straha »

Broomstick wrote: 2019-08-10 02:21pm
Straha wrote: 2019-08-10 01:51pmAlso interesting to note that you cut out of this post the discussion of the racial invective you've engaged in. Just because you keep ignoring it doesn't mean it's going to go away, and frankly the fact that you're acting like it will kills any good will I might have had in reading that exchange. You engaged in a racist act, when are you going to own it and apologize?
What racist act? Loomer going on and on about how he's a "whitefella" who wants to adopt Native culture/language/whatever despite his own admission he's an Anglo-Australian with no actual claim to any of it? That yes, he has some Native heritage somewhen but it's so dilute but yet he presumes to speak for all those Natives out there with his grand de-colonization plan? And I mocked him for it?

Sounds like yet another white person wanting to exploit Native/minority cultures for his own ends to me.

Again, you accuse me of a racist act... but isn't that something to report to the mods if there is any actually basis to that accusation?
Your deployment of an ethnic term in a way that you deliberately frame to cause offense, which has been called out multiple times in this thread. So much for having read the thread, eh?

As for the mods, if your goal is to get punished/whatever then feel free to report yourself, I'm not here to help you indulge in masochism. I'm giving you the chance to own up to what you've done and apologize for it, and I don't need someone else to come in and do that for me.
'After 9/11, it was "You're with us or your with the terrorists." Now its "You're with Straha or you support racism."' ' - The Romulan Republic

'You're a bully putting on an air of civility while saying that everything western and/or capitalistic must be bad, and a lot of other posters (loomer, Stas Bush, Gandalf) are also going along with it for their own personal reasons (Stas in particular is looking through rose colored glasses)' - Darth Yan
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Effie wrote: 2019-08-10 02:20pmI'm a woman, bitch. I am also a trans woman and a lesbian, which I have referred to in conversations where you were present before. And you have also indicated that you loathe me on a personal level, and that you consider it acceptable to engage in deliberately offensive behavior towards marginalized people using their marginalization if you dislike them enough.
I'm sorry - I did not mean to misgender you. I will make note that you are a woman going forward and I will not forget again. I don't recall all of our prior encounters immediately so while that is of course enormously important to you it obviously slipped my radar. Again, my sincere apologies for that, it will not happen again.

I still don't like you on a personal level, but again, that's because you continually twist my words and arguments. If you'd stop doing that I'd have a lot more respect for you, not that I think you give a damn about whether or not I respect you.
Effie wrote: 2019-08-10 02:20pmII will not, however, continue to take part in even the disgusting sham of a reasoned discussion which has been going on with you if you are simply going to misgender me and play games around rules lawyering
Reminding you to observe the rules of the forum is "rules lawyering"... how?

I am sincere in saying that I don't want to see you - or anyone else for that matter - banned because they broke the board rules. In the past I have argued for giving people second chances after doing so.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Straha wrote: 2019-08-10 02:29pm Your deployment of an ethnic term in a way that you deliberately frame to cause offense, which has been called out multiple times in this thread. So much for having read the thread, eh?
Again, because I didn't individually respond to each and every post you assume I haven't read them. I have. I also felt no need to respond directly to them, especially not after a multi-day absence from this forum.

Three people expressed either puzzlement or objection to what I said one time. Others have not. The term is not a generalized ethnic/racial slur. You're making a mountain out of a molehill.

I don't agree with you. That doesn't mean I have failed to read your posts, or failed to comprehend your words. It means you have not convinced me and I don't agree with you.
As for the mods, if your goal is to get punished/whatever then feel free to report yourself, I'm not here to help you indulge in masochism. I'm giving you the chance to own up to what you've done and apologize for it, and I don't need someone else to come in and do that for me.
The continual calls for this or that person in this thread to shut up is junior modding as I see it - you have no more right to silence people here than I do. If you find a post so objectionable as to think that person should be silenced then the proper response is to report it to the mods, not to take on the duty of deciding who does and doesn't have a right to speak on your own.

Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Anyhow, folks, I'm coming up on another busy stretch at work and in life and will have to be absent from this thread and another one that's quite heated for a few days again - if I do show up on SD.net this coming week it will be for only a brief time at best. Since I don't think either of the two more heated threads would be well served by one-line posts, especially when I don't have time to read things thoroughly, I will be absent from them until probably next Wednesday at the earliest. Assuming they're still active at that point.

I feel compelled to mention this at all because if I don't I will be again accused of ducking the subject or abandoning the thread or whatever it is that has straha and effie so upset by my not being instantly available to respond to them.

Have a nice week.

loomer
Sith Marauder

Post by loomer »

Having now ended my engagement (where I was, as it happens, specifically asked by one of the local Elders in attendance to work towards the goal of decolonisation and see if the Timber Creek precedent can be used in Bundjalung native title claims) and with an hour or so to spare, I thought I’d quickly reply to this. The other one that merits a reply will come when I’ve returned home.

You assert that my desire to know the culture of where I live is a racist act. This is offensive to me, so well done. But you make the fundamentally fallacious and erroneous claim I have no claim to that culture.

This is false. I do in fact have a claim in knowing about and sometimes participating in Bundjalung languages, history, spirituality, cuisine, law, and ultimately, Being. So let’s look at why. Is it my ‘so dilute’ Indigenous heritage (do not use the word Native in reference to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, by the way. It is actually quite offensive.) that grants me such a claim? No - nor is my heritage all that dilute. I’m somewhere in the one eighth to one sixteenth area, but blood quantum does not make a man Indigenous. The ties of culture and community are just as important, and in my family’s case, those ties were forcibly broken and I do not know what mob I come from. My dreamings as an Indigenous man are lost to me (though not lost to the land itself - nor are what I tentatively called whitefella dreamings as they emerge), as is one of my ancestral languages. But, this heritage could not grant a claim to Bundjalung knowledge, culture, and indeed, Being, anyway! It is certainly not Bundjalung descent, and thus, could not ever give such right or claim.

In fact, to dwell on my heritage for a moment longer, I am something of a liminal person. I am of Indigenous descent, my sister is Indigenous (Noongar, we think), and my family has even been claimed as kin by a few families out of respect for my mother’s efforts in social work and our friendships. But this claiming does not make me anything other than who I am - and every Elder I spoke to as a younger man trying to puzzle this out told me, simply, to be who I am. In this case, it’s an Anglo-Australian with some mixed heritage, which is, well, who I am, who I was raised as, and what most of my family are. All of the Elders I have spoken to on this issue have been pleased by this outcome.

Is my claim born out of some innate right all Australians have? No, that’d be silly. Nor is my claim born out of a wish or a personal desire.

My claim is born from the numerous Elders who have invited me, as what I am - in its totality, so as a white fella, an Anglo-Australian of uncertain mixed descent, a Mason, a Lawyer, a Christian, a Pagan, a naive fool, a friend, a queer man, a student, etc, - to come and learn and sometimes do these things with them. So my claim comes not from blood, not from birthright, but from invitation and hospitality, and from mutual and enduring bonds of friendship and a mutual desire to see the Bundjalung cultures survive and flourish and for us whitefellas to begin to understand the Country we live in and on. There are certain things I am not invited to know, certain places I am not invited to go (for instance, I must never climb Wollumbin), but that’s okay - I don’t claim otherwise, and I have certain knowledge they are not invited to know and places they are not to invited to go (for instance, inside my Lodge during a Third, unless they wish to join us as initiated men in the Masonic tradition. That’s gotten a laugh a couple of times from the Elders who did their own traditional initiations (or some of them, at least, as no one knows any elder who underwent all of them now) but has always emerged as a mutual point of respect and understanding - two initiated men of different traditions both looking at the other, knowing and accepting that some sacred knowledge cannot be shared but united in the possession of it.)

So no, you are mistaken. I do have a claim, and it is the strongest claim to Bundjalung Knowing and Being that I could ever hope for whether I considered myself Indigenous or not. It is not a claim to being Bundjalung, but a claim to learning where I have been invited, speaking where I have been asked, and to being who I am, in and on the Bundjalung country as a friend. This claim does not render me innocent or faultless of my participation in the systems of oppression, nor make me anything I am not, nor even diminish my pride in the Knowing and Being of my ancestors and the good parts of Anglo-Australian heritage. But it does grant me the license to sit and listen and learn from the people whose land I live on.

Now, second. You make the very curious assumption that decolonisation is something I came up with and try to speak ‘for’ Indigenous people’s with. What I actually do is go and listen to various Elders and Indigenous thinkers on these issues, and then dialogue with them, read articles written by other thinkers (many of them Indigenous - in fact, decolonisation theory as a field has an enormous density and diversity of Indigenous voices from across the globe) who due to time, distance, or death I cannot speak to directly, and then try and understand and work with what they have said. Your assertion this is somehow my idea, my notion, is false. The particulars of my argument are mine. The particulars of how I hope to see it are mine. The proposed execution of such things is also mine, The theories and their impetus? Those, Broomstick, are predominantly coming from Indigenous communities and thinkers across the globe - which you would know if you were even the slightest bit conversant in the fields of decolonisation and settler-colonial studies. All I’m doing is backing those plays, just like the Auntie asked me to the other night.
"Doctors keep their scalpels and other instruments handy, for emergencies. Keep your philosophy ready too—ready to understand heaven and earth. In everything you do, even the smallest thing, remember the chain that links them. Nothing earthly succeeds by ignoring heaven, nothing heavenly by ignoring the earth." M.A.A.A
Darth Yan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Yan »

Effie wrote: 2019-08-10 02:11pm
Darth Yan wrote: 2019-08-10 01:25pm I largely agree with broomstick in the grand scheme. She did reply as well. You’re arguments were just utopian nonsense. Another issue is that she’s busy and has a life

The fact is that
1.) due to the fact that natives are diverse no solution will be clean (even the Cherokee don’t fully agree on what to do. Some are fine assimilating into American culture. By effie’s Logic they’re race traitors). You arrogantly presume to speak for all of them.
2.) certain groups do not accept outsiders. So some of the new nations will certainly want to expel outsiders or at least discriminate if new nations are formed.
3.) Natives are a minority. If they’re to have meaningful control of the process (ie whites blacks Latinos don’t crowd them out) they’ll have to be an ethnostate. It’s why Israel forcibly expelled 80% of the Arab population back in 48. This isn’t hyperbole. Any state that’s run by a minority is going to be discriminatory.

Also Effie missed the points about language. Learning ONE language can be challenging, let alone hundreds. Secondly the languages are dying out for the most part (even many natives don’t speak them anymore). Third given that English is an easy to use international language there’s no reason to discard it and in fact it makes things worse.

Her point was very clear. Just like white people natives are complex. They can be kind generous and intelligent....and greedy and selfish. A lot of the land natives were expelled from was land THEY took from other tribes. By decolonization logic the land should be returned to the very first tribes.
"Demographics are destiny" is just straight-up Nazi rhetoric. I'm not going to engage with someone who's either a Nazi or is so immersed in Nazi sludge, shoveling it so eagerly into their mouth, that they point to birth rates and population percentages as determinative of national character.
Not what I was saying. I’m saying that any state where a minority has power over a majority (Israel, South Africa) is going to be discriminatory. Add in that certain tribes don’t accept outsiders and that ethnic tensions don’t just vanish and you’re proposed utopia doesn’t work. There WILL be forced expulsions and wars, just like when the Soviet Union collapsed. You also aren’t really addressing the points she made at all. It’s rather cowardly. Same with loomer and Straha. You guys just assume your experience is universal and that you do dork for all natives and indigenous people. You ignore human nature in favor of utopian daydreams that have as much chance of happening as hell freezing over.

You also repeatedly try to bully people who disagree into leaving and assume that because we disagree we didn’t read (we did. You’re arguments are just laughably naive and based on a faulty understanding of the world)
loomer
Sith Marauder

Post by loomer »

Before I get started I'd like to apologize for an annoying auto-correct typo in my last post. That should be Aunty, not Auntie.
Broomstick wrote: 2019-08-09 05:39pm
loomer wrote: 2019-08-08 04:07am Sorry Broomstick, but I'm not going to bother spending the time and energy typing up another long response to you until you go back and address the ones already posted. I don't really have the inclination to waste my time on someone who vomits invectives and then disappears for ten days without a guarantee they're actually committed to the discussion, especially when they mindlessly regurgitate talking points already repeatedly addressed. Either way you'll be waiting a few days as I have a prior engagement commencing tomorrow.
Oh, look at the little hypocrite - YOU announce you're waltzing off for a few days and expect that's OK, but god forbid I don't put answering your bullshit ahead of any other priority in my life, including making a living.
By all means, make a living. The part that I object to is not a delay in response - you'll notice I'm not going crook on Rogue or even yourself earlier - but the sheer entitled arrogance of returning, ignoring what's been posted, and spewing the same tired rhetoric.
I didn't just disappear from the discussion for a few days, I disappeared from the entire forum because I had shit I had to do in real life. Fuck you if you don't understand that.
This would be rather more convincing if you hadn't been posting during a good chunk of that time. But again, the part I object to is not that you had shit to do - it's the entitled arrogance you display. We all have shit to do. You have it, I have it, Rogue 9's got it. The difference between us - one which you are apparently unable to understand - is that I read the outstanding messages when I return.
And, since I have neither the time nor inclination to dredge through a week's worth of your bullshit either summarize your fucking points or shove them up your ass. I am NOT at your beck and call. I have just as much right as you do to deal with my real-life shit ahead of this board. Fuck off to hell if you don't understand that.
Having so graciously reminded Effie of the board rules, I might remind you that broken record tactics are against them as well, and I can think of nothing that better sums up your current approach of 'disappear, come back, ignore arguments, repeat arguments already refuted'. Now, since you seem incapable of understanding that just as you are not at my beck and call I am not at yours, I won't be summarizing shit for you. I will, however, point you to the four outstanding posts that address claims you continue to make and strongly suggest you either concede or refute the arguments made in them since, again as you yourself so kindly pointed out, there are in fact debate rules. I'll do so even though you get this convenient little notification when someone quotes you, just for the sake of convenience.

http://bbs.stardestroyer.net/viewtopic. ... 0#p4084726
http://bbs.stardestroyer.net/viewtopic. ... 5#p4085036
http://bbs.stardestroyer.net/viewtopic. ... 5#p4085037
http://bbs.stardestroyer.net/viewtopic. ... 5#p4085038

If you continue to ignore points made against you and to ignore the requests that you provide evidence for your positions, well, that'll say it all. The sheer entitled arrogance of coming back into a thread that has developed and refusing to read people's arguments against your positions because you 'have neither the time nor inclination' is intellectually dishonest and a demonstration of the highest order of bad faith. If you want to debate: read the responses. Otherwise? Shut up, sit down, and accept that you have neither the time nor inclination to actually participate. I actually try and extend the benefit of the doubt to people who drop in and out because hey, we do all have other things to do that take precedence sometimes. It's just that when someone launches a stream of vapid insults at me, culminating in a weird racialized attack, and then return only to explicitly ignore responses made directly to them, I tend to withdraw the benefit of that doubt and insist people actually read and reply to arguments! Funny how that works, ain't it?

I also trust you'll be explaining precisely why you saw fit to try and use the name of an ethnic group I work with to offend me (at which, I note, you utterly failed - there is nothing offensive about the word, though frankly your attempt to do so was both pitiful and pathetic), as I can only currently assume it was tied into your attempt to insinuate that I am in some way ashamed to have Indigenous ancestry. I'd like to believe that's not the case, so please, help me to do so.

Yan, I'll get to you later.
"Doctors keep their scalpels and other instruments handy, for emergencies. Keep your philosophy ready too—ready to understand heaven and earth. In everything you do, even the smallest thing, remember the chain that links them. Nothing earthly succeeds by ignoring heaven, nothing heavenly by ignoring the earth." M.A.A.A
loomer
Sith Marauder

Post by loomer »

Darth Yan wrote: 2019-08-09 11:50am But no Loomers posts are NOT well argued.
Alright, let's crack into this...
He ignores basic facts of human nature (white black native, all are capable of great good or evil)
Kindly demonstrate where I have, at any point, suggested that Indigenous people (or, as you put it here, 'blacks' - very loaded, unfortunately) are incapable of evil, by which I will generously assume you mean violence.
and history (in Israel the Arabs were expelled because it was feared having too many would disrupt the “Jewish character” of the state;
Kindly demonstrate where I have ignored history rather than suggesting that history is descriptive, not prescriptive, of human actions.
given that native Americans are a demographic minority what about the non natives who would compose 90% of the population? Would THEY be expelled or have their rights reduced to keep the power in the hands of the native tribes?)
This has been repeatedly addressed, and you seem to be ignoring the argument around indigenization. What is proposed is not, as you seem to insist, 'keeping the power in the hands of the Indigenous tribes', but rather dismantling the existing systems of oppression and centring Indigenous epistemologies, political structures, and culture, and by doing so ending the systemic barriers and inequalities afflicting the nations we live in. This in no way requires anyone lose any fundamental rights, and I challenge you to show in what way it does. As you seem to find rigorous debate a challenge, I would suggest you start with those rights in the UDHR. I further challenge you to show a published decolonization theorist or theory that in fact calls for either of the things you continually assert are in some way inherent to the proposal of decolonization.
and when it was pointed out that dissolving a nation as big as the US would have international implications and cause mass destabilization his response was “eh who cares.”
Incorrect. My response was not 'eh, who cares', it was that refusing to see justice done in the name of international stability is a repugnant position to me. I will now outline a series of propositions for you. Feel free to say which of them you find objectionable:

1. Justice is preferable to injustice.
2. Where injustice is done, it is the responsibility of those in a position to stop or make good on that injustice to do so.
3. While not all injustice is equal, serious injustices cannot be ignored in the name of stability.
4. Genocide is a serious injustice.
4.a The historical treatment of the Indigenous peoples of the US, Canada, Mexico, New Zealand, Australia, etc constituted a genocide.
4.b The present treatment of the same either constitutes genocide or a continuing process of the illegitimate theft of land under faulty legal doctrines.
4.c These states being thus founded on genocide and continuing to exist through the illegitimate theft of land are unjust states.
4.d The power structures presently in place within these states are fundamentally rooted within this injustice.
5. Therefore, genocide being a serious injustice that cannot be ignored, and justice being preferable to injustice, it is the responsibility of those in a position of power to end that genocide and make good on it and its ongoing effects, and to do so requires a fundamental change in the way the nation is structured.
His passion and desire for justice are admirable but his refusal to consider practicality or long term implications fatally undermines anything he advocates. Same thing with most decolonist activists of you he and Effie embody that ideal.
I think I've probably thought through the long term implications and practicality far more than you have, Yan. We just disagree on whether stability can trump human rights.
Darth Yan wrote: 2019-08-09 11:19pm Two wrongs don’t make a right. Nativism is idiotic regardless of who preaches it.

Like it or not some progress was being made in regard to native rights so decolonizing is hardly the only option. You seem to think that as long aaa it’s not white people nativism is ok.
Kindly define nativism and explain how this definition applies to a process of democratically dismantling the existing unjust power structures through indigenization.
Darth Yan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Yan »

1.) Your whole theory of democratizing depends on humans jettisoning flaws they’ve had since the dawn of time. Effie also tried to downplay the atrocities of Jean Jacques Dessalines on the grounds that what the French did to the Black Haitians was worse (it was worse but killing civilians AFTER you’ve won and forced out the enemy is NOT okay).

2.) History tends to repeat. We have idiot leaders now just like we did centuries ago. The holocaust, massacre of native Americans and other genocides were motivated by the same hatred that existed before civilization. Humanity is a flawed lot and while there is improvement we are ever bound by our flaws. You also ignored that native Americans ALSO committed genocide and stole land from other tribes (so in some cases you’d arguably replace one unjust state with another unjust state) and that in practice even sides with righteous causes have behaved really shittily.

3.) Native Americans are a minority. If political power were not concentrated in their hands the non native majority would have power and they could easily go against the native’s wishes. Or are they all going to adopt native culture, native languages etc. Certain tribes DO NOT ACCEPT OUTSIDERS so in the 500 plus nations there would certainly be those doing expulsions. But I guess that’s a fair price for you.

4.) 1 2 3 4 4a 4b 4c and 4d work. But you also ignore that treaties are actually being enforced that most natives don’t even live on reservations and that quite a few ARE assimilating into America. So dissolving the country isn’t the only way. And while you don’t want to admit it advocating the dissolution of the us and Australia while ignoring the founding of Britain (when the invading saxons ethnically cleansed the celts) Israel and many native nations in America is the height of hypocrisy (natives also wiped out whole tribes and stole land. Should THEY return it?)

The only way your democratization would work is if humans suddenly loose flaws they had since the dawn of time. That’s why it’s never going to work. You also display a double standard by saying that only white Australians and Americans should have to dissolve their state’s rather than other nations that ALSO committed genocide and stole land through dubious practices.

It’s like communism or communism. If it COULD work it might be wonderful. In practice human nature means it won’t happen
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

If it helps you in any way, I'm an Indigenous person (Wonnarua, to be specific), and I endorse what he's been saying in this thread. He's been fucking deadly from the start.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
loomer
Sith Marauder

Post by loomer »

Darth Yan wrote: 2019-08-11 04:21am 1.) Your whole theory of democratizing depends on humans jettisoning flaws they’ve had since the dawn of time. Effie also tried to downplay the atrocities of Jean Jacques Dessalines on the grounds that what the French did to the Black Haitians was worse (it was worse but killing civilians AFTER you’ve won and forced out the enemy is NOT okay).
Does it? Please show me where it does.
2.) History tends to repeat. We have idiot leaders now just like we did centuries ago. The holocaust, massacre of native Americans and other genocides were motivated by the same hatred that existed before civilization. Humanity is a flawed lot and while there is improvement we are ever bound by our flaws.
I see. So it is your position, then, that since history happened, we should cease striving to do better or to make good on what has happened?
You also ignored that native Americans ALSO committed genocide and stole land from other tribes (so in some cases you’d arguably replace one unjust state with another unjust state) and that in practice even sides with righteous causes have behaved really shittily.
Did I? Please show me where.
3.) Native Americans are a minority. If political power were not concentrated in their hands the non native majority would have power and they could easily go against the native’s wishes. Or are they all going to adopt native culture, native languages etc. Certain tribes DO NOT ACCEPT OUTSIDERS so in the 500 plus nations there would certainly be those doing expulsions. But I guess that’s a fair price for you.
Certainly, these are risks, but this is where the process of indigenization comes in. The goal is, again, to fundamentally change the culture such that these concerns can ease off.
4.) 1 2 3 4 4a 4b 4c and 4d work.
Then please, outline where 5 does not. If 1, 2, 3, 4, and 4's subsets work, then 5 necessarily follows.
But you also ignore that treaties are actually being enforced
Do I? Please show me where I make any such statement. While you're at it, please provide proof that most - or even a small majority - of treaties are being genuinely and fairly enforced.
that most natives don’t even live on reservations
Do I? Demonstrate where.
and that quite a few ARE assimilating into America.
Again, do I? Demonstrate where.
So dissolving the country isn’t the only way.
Certainly, but it is the way we seek. I don't think I've ever said it is in fact the only way - I'm sure you'll be able to demonstrate where I have.
And while you don’t want to admit it advocating the dissolution of the us and Australia while ignoring the founding of Britain (when the invading saxons ethnically cleansed the celts)
Remind me, was Anglo-Saxon Britain founded on settler-colonial principles? And, while you're at it, please demonstrate where I have ignored this history.
Israel
I think you'll find that many decolonization theorists have quite a bone to pick with Israel, myself included.
and many native nations in America is the height of hypocrisy (natives also wiped out whole tribes and stole land. Should THEY return it?)
Was this colonization carried out on settler-colonial principles?
The only way your democratization would work is if humans suddenly loose flaws they had since the dawn of time. That’s why it’s never going to work.
It is your position, then, that humans cannot overcome tribalism, violence, and systemic oppression?
You also display a double standard by saying that only white Australians and Americans should have to dissolve their state’s rather than other nations that ALSO committed genocide and stole land through dubious practices.
Do I? I'm sure you can demonstrate the following assertions you make here:
1. That I limit my proposal to only America and Australia as sites for decolonization;
2. That I limit decolonization to 'white Australians and Americans'.

Yan. I'm going to ask you to actually answer the following as well:
loomer wrote: 2019-08-11 03:50am Kindly demonstrate where I have, at any point, suggested that Indigenous people (or, as you put it here, 'blacks' - very loaded, unfortunately) are incapable of evil, by which I will generously assume you mean violence.
Kindly demonstrate where I have ignored history rather than suggesting that history is descriptive, not prescriptive, of human actions.
This in no way requires anyone lose any fundamental rights, and I challenge you to show in what way it does. As you seem to find rigorous debate a challenge, I would suggest you start with those rights in the UDHR. I further challenge you to show a published decolonization theorist or theory that in fact calls for either of the things you continually assert are in some way inherent to the proposal of decolonization.
Kindly define nativism and explain how this definition applies to a process of democratically dismantling the existing unjust power structures through indigenization.
At the moment, you are directly refusing to provide proof of disputed statements of fact. Back up your claims.
loomer
Sith Marauder

Post by loomer »

Incidentally, the argument of infinite recursion - which is all that the whole 'b-b-but the Saxons...' and 'what about the Novgorodian Rus?!' (okay, no one ever asks about them...) boils down to - is utterly flawed as a justification for why we shouldn't take measures to undo an ongoing state of dispossession with real, measurable consequences happening now. It attempts to utilize the past to silence criticism of and justice in the present, and in doing so it also echoes the ongoing attempt of the settler-colonial project to paint the Indigenous peoples whose lands had to be stolen and whose rights systematically denied and trampled on for the colonization to take place as extinct or soon to be extinct. I don't think it's conscious in Yan's case, but it is absolutely a reflection of the ongoing rhetoric of settler-colonialism and its fervent desire to see the Indigenous nations and peoples consigned to the ash bin of history alongside Carthage as 'something that was' (I use thing, not people, deliberately - it is inconvenient to the settler-colonial narrative to recognize the Indigenous peoples as people) rather than 'some peoples and nations who were, are, and will continue to be'.
Nicholas
Youngling

Post by Nicholas »

loomer wrote: 2019-08-11 03:50am
Darth Yan wrote: 2019-08-09 11:50am given that native Americans are a demographic minority what about the non natives who would compose 90% of the population? Would THEY be expelled or have their rights reduced to keep the power in the hands of the native tribes?)
This has been repeatedly addressed, and you seem to be ignoring the argument around indigenization. What is proposed is not, as you seem to insist, 'keeping the power in the hands of the Indigenous tribes', but rather dismantling the existing systems of oppression and centring Indigenous epistemologies, political structures, and culture, and by doing so ending the systemic barriers and inequalities afflicting the nations we live in. This in no way requires anyone lose any fundamental rights, and I challenge you to show in what way it does. As you seem to find rigorous debate a challenge, I would suggest you start with those rights in the UDHR. I further challenge you to show a published decolonization theorist or theory that in fact calls for either of the things you continually assert are in some way inherent to the proposal of decolonization.
and when it was pointed out that dissolving a nation as big as the US would have international implications and cause mass destabilization his response was “eh who cares.”
Incorrect. My response was not 'eh, who cares', it was that refusing to see justice done in the name of international stability is a repugnant position to me. I will now outline a series of propositions for you. Feel free to say which of them you find objectionable:

2. Where injustice is done, it is the responsibility of those in a position to stop or make good on that injustice to do so.
3. While not all injustice is equal, serious injustices cannot be ignored in the name of stability.
4.a The historical treatment of the Indigenous peoples of the US, Canada, Mexico, New Zealand, Australia, etc constituted a genocide.
4.b The present treatment of the same either constitutes genocide or a continuing process of the illegitimate theft of land under faulty legal doctrines.
4.c These states being thus founded on genocide and continuing to exist through the illegitimate theft of land are unjust states.
4.d The power structures presently in place within these states are fundamentally rooted within this injustice.
5. Therefore, genocide being a serious injustice that cannot be ignored, and justice being preferable to injustice, it is the responsibility of those in a position of power to end that genocide and make good on it and its ongoing effects, and to do so requires a fundamental change in the way the nation is structured.
In the above quote you challenged Darth Yan to show how indigenization requires anyone to lose their fundamental rights. Indigenization doesn't. However, immediately afterwards you made an argument about restoring justice, which I have also quoted above. That argument does require that some people lose their fundamental rights. Since you have been repeatedly using both arguments I am going to carefully lay out how.

For the sake of argument I accept your five points above with one exception, although I can imagine situations where I would reject others. I do not accept that present treatment of indigenous peoples constitutes genocide. Given that exception the basis of your claim for ongoing injustice is the "continuing process of the illegitimate theft of land under faulty legal doctrines." So, who does the land actually belong to? It can't be the people it was stolen from because the vast majority of the land was stolen over 130 years ago and the oldest living person today is 116. Since the land doesn't belong to the current tenants (if it did there would be no "continuing process of the illegitimate theft" to make right). Who does the land belong to?

You have implicitly answered the currently existing indigenous tribes. On what basis is it theirs? You have never answered this question so I am left to guess and I am guessing either inheritance or institutional continuity. In either case the process of indigenization that you describe will not grant a right to the land for those who are not tribal members by other standards. You appear to acknowledge this in your long post in response to Broomstick's charge of racism, where despite all your connections to the indigenous population in your area you acknowledge that it is not your land.

Since the injustice described is an ongoing theft, doing justice requires returning the stolen property and sovereignty (since that was also stolen). Not returning some of the property, not assigning and arbitrary value to the property and giving the victim that, not ordering the thieves to make amends by adopting their victims cultural practices, not transforming social structures while letting the theft continue, returning the property whole and entire without strings. Since this property includes sovereignty, returning the property means returning full sovereignty to the indigenous population (note not the indigenous population and their non-indigenous allies but the indigenous population who have the inherited right to the land), full sovereignty includes the right to decide who lives on the land, the right to deport or jail those present on it illegally, the right to determine what rules regulate private ownership of property and the right to make war.

Thus doing justice to the indigenous population requires giving them the power to dispossess and expel the people who were born on the land and have been living on it all their life. Given human nature and the diversity of indigenous tribes some of them are sure to exercise that power. Thus doing justice will deprive some people of their rights, 300 odd million in the US alone, although I wouldn't expect all of them to actually be expelled (most rulers like having a large tax base). If sovereignty is going to be genuinely returned though all 300 million of them must be permanently denied any say in the government that rules them. So doing justice of the indigenous requires that a lot of people be denied their human rights.

Indigenization is an intriguing and attractive solution to the problem, of how given the competing claims of justice and human rights in this situation we might build a better society going forward but it is not justice for the indigenous people whose land was stolen. When it was initially brought up I thought you were conceding that justice could not be done in this case but since you keep insisting that we need to do justice it seems not.

Nicholas
loomer
Sith Marauder

Post by loomer »

Nicholas wrote: 2019-08-11 09:19am
loomer wrote: 2019-08-11 03:50am
Darth Yan wrote: 2019-08-09 11:50am given that native Americans are a demographic minority what about the non natives who would compose 90% of the population? Would THEY be expelled or have their rights reduced to keep the power in the hands of the native tribes?)

In the above quote you challenged Darth Yan to show how indigenization requires anyone to lose their fundamental rights. Indigenization doesn't. However, immediately afterwards you made an argument about restoring justice, which I have also quoted above. That argument does require that some people lose their fundamental rights. Since you have been repeatedly using both arguments I am going to carefully lay out how.

For the sake of argument I accept your five points above with one exception, although I can imagine situations where I would reject others. I do not accept that present treatment of indigenous peoples constitutes genocide.
Then let us examine the issue of genocide. I will, for convenience, use the Rome Statute. It's not perfect but it's a reasonable starting point.
" For the purpose of this Statute, "genocide" means any of the following acts committed with intent to destroy, in whole or in part, a national, ethnical, racial or religious group, as such:
(a) Killing members of the group;
(b) Causing serious bodily or mental harm to members of the group;
(c) Deliberately inflicting on the group conditions of life calculated to bring about its physical destruction in whole or in part;
(d) Imposing measures intended to prevent births within the group;
(e) Forcibly transferring children of the group to another group."

I believe there is a strong case to be made that subsections c and e are alive and well in Australia, with removals of Indigenous children at an all-time high and a consistent and ongoing hostility by the federal and state governments towards Indigenous communities, and don't get me started on Indigenous deaths in custody. Do you disagree that these elements are in play? I'm rather less well read in the American and Canadian contexts, but I defer to the judgment of MMIWG inquiry in the latter case, whose report quite strongly affirmed that a genocide is ongoing in Canada. I believe similar issues exist in America from my readings on the matter. Which part of this definition of genocide do you feel is inapplicable to America, Australia, Canada, etc?

Given that exception the basis of your claim for ongoing injustice is the "continuing process of the illegitimate theft of land under faulty legal doctrines." So, who does the land actually belong to? It can't be the people it was stolen from because the vast majority of the land was stolen over 130 years ago and the oldest living person today is 116. Since the land doesn't belong to the current tenants (if it did there would be no "continuing process of the illegitimate theft" to make right). Who does the land belong to?
The land belongs to the nations and peoples from whom it was illegitimately seized either communally or according to whatever divisions of land and property those peoples maintained in their law at the time. You operate under the assumption that the death of an original owner extinguishes all property rights. This is incorrect - inheritance rights exist for that very purpose, in fact, and can and are enforced in cases where properties have been stolen. Indeed, there are a rather great many of those cases relating to goods looted by the Nazis, and I see no particular reason to draw a line between real and chattel properties in this context.

Further, in the case of a very great many of the peoples whose land we are discussing, private ownership of land was not present. This land was communally owned (or rather, owned the people of it - an important epistemic and normative distinction) and as such the death of one individual is irrelevant. The rights are attached to the collective of which they are a member, not to them as individuals in isolation, and so the idea that the death of the traditional custodians from which the land was initially taken can in some way interrupt the chain of possession is fundamentally incorrect in this context. There are fringe cases where this does not apply - for instance, groups that have entirely ceased to exist or land that was genuine terra nullius (rare though it may be, there are and were such places and they were settled - though usually the settlers find out at some point there was a reason no one was bothering with it, usually because it turns out to be a god-awful place to live one way or another) - but in the bulk of such cases, either we are concerned with communal and collective rights that cannot be extinguished by the death of a single individual or by the inherited rights to property of their heirs.
You have implicitly answered the currently existing indigenous tribes. On what basis is it theirs? You have never answered this question so I am left to guess and I am guessing either inheritance or institutional continuity.
By the basis of their existing, improperly - and thus invalidly - interrupted ownership. Allow me to give you an example of the underlying logic:
Group A lives in a place with the ordinary lawful interest of occupants, inhabitants, or custodians. Group B seizes that place by violence without valid legal authority. Group A retains its lawful interest in and ownership of that interest despite Group B's intervention, and barring an intervening act sufficient to sever that interest - e.g. voluntary renunciation - it persists. We would not ordinarily consider it a break in the chain of ownership if a bikie gang kicks our front door in, tells us they own our house now, and makes us move in with the neighbours on penalty of being shot in the face!
In either case the process of indigenization that you describe will not grant a right to the land for those who are not tribal members by other standards. You appear to acknowledge this in your long post in response to Broomstick's charge of racism, where despite all your connections to the indigenous population in your area you acknowledge that it is not your land.
The purpose of indigenization is not to grant a right to land, but to facilitate a shift in culture that enables the return of land and the voluntary surrender of improperly obtained property rights. Being as they were never validly acquired in the first place, this simply follows from the legal principle that where there has been a delict, there should be a remedy, and where that delict is a theft, the return of the property ought to be the remedy where possible.

The right to land, such as it may emerge subsequently, will be as a citizen of the newly emergent states, as negotiated and enshrined in the constitutions developed during the decolonization process. It is of course entirely possible no one will possess an individual right to property real or moveable, but if this is constitutional and was arrived at democratically, then I see no reason to object.
Since the injustice described is an ongoing theft, doing justice requires returning the stolen property and sovereignty (since that was also stolen). Not returning some of the property, not assigning and arbitrary value to the property and giving the victim that, not ordering the thieves to make amends by adopting their victims cultural practices, not transforming social structures while letting the theft continue, returning the property whole and entire without strings.
No contest there, subject to the caveat that I believe the only way to 'make it stick', so to speak, is for a democratic transition to negotiate the terms and form of the return of property, and that such a transition necessarily requires indigenization to be successful. Thus, the adoption of Indigenous customs, language, etc as and when appropriate is not some kind of restitution, as you suggest here, so much as simply recognizing the presence of those customs and their validity within the places we live. In this regard I consider it no different to if I were to move to Germany, where I would hopefully learn German to some degree if able out of respect for those around me, and inevitably absorb part of the local culture simply by being.

Since this property includes sovereignty, returning the property means returning full sovereignty to the indigenous population (note not the indigenous population and their non-indigenous allies but the indigenous population who have the inherited right to the land), full sovereignty includes the right to decide who lives on the land, the right to deport or jail those present on it illegally, the right to determine what rules regulate private ownership of property and the right to make war.
Yes, I am well aware of what sovereignty entails. However, here you make a dangerous misstep - very few decolonization theorists and advocates and even Indigenous sovereignty movements (other than those proposing state-within-a-state models) in fact call for a totally exclusive rule of the Indigenous population alone. It is not what is suggested by me, nor by the bulk of the theorists and advocates, and is instead almost totally counter to what is pursued. The goal of decolonization and the restoration of sovereignty is not to simply reverse the order of who gets to hold the leash, who gets beaten with the stick, and who gets to wear the jackboots, but to do away with such things entirely.
Thus doing justice to the indigenous population requires giving them the power to dispossess and expel the people who were born on the land and have been living on it all their life.
And where those people's possession is based on illegitimate acquisition, itself predicated on violent genocide, then that may have to be the case. However, again, I note that very few decolonization theorists and advocates call for the kind of radical approach you here suppose is inherent and innate to the restoration of sovereignty. The idea that this is unjust necessarily presupposes that the present conditions under which the land is held by the non-Indigenous peoples involved are just - a position I strongly, indeed vehemently, disagree with. Those conditions are fundamentally rooted in the illegitimate acquisition of the land, and just as if I buy a stolen car (without knowing it's stolen or with that knowledge, it doesn't matter other than the additional penalty attached to the knowing receipt of stolen goods) I may find myself carless when the police turn up and return it to its rightful owner, these conditions render the current state of possession unjust.
Given human nature and the diversity of indigenous tribes some of them are sure to exercise that power. Thus doing justice will deprive some people of their rights, 300 odd million in the US alone, although I wouldn't expect all of them to actually be expelled (most rulers like having a large tax base). If sovereignty is going to be genuinely returned though all 300 million of them must be permanently denied any say in the government that rules them. So doing justice of the indigenous requires that a lot of people be denied their human rights.
Once again, this is not what I propose, nor what the bulk of decolonization theorists and advocates propose. Democratic models are still largely preferred, and there is thus no inherent requirement as you wish to read in here to disenfranchise or revoke the human rights of Settler peoples. You have made the leap from 'sovereignty will be restored' to 'and will be exclusive, exclusionary, and ethnic' which does not necessarily follow, and indeed, denies the free and genuine sovereignty of the restored states by stating that they cannot empower non-Indigenous people living within them.
Indigenization is an intriguing and attractive solution to the problem, of how given the competing claims of justice and human rights in this situation we might build a better society going forward but it is not justice for the indigenous people whose land was stolen. When it was initially brought up I thought you were conceding that justice could not be done in this case but since you keep insisting that we need to do justice it seems not.
Indigenization is not a solution in isolation but is only part of the solution, and a necessary step to creating the cultural conditions necessary for the democratic transition to sovereignty built along the lines of the Indigenous nations and their customs. Doing justice requires more than indigenization alone, however, so yes - I keep insisting on it.
Nicholas
Youngling

Post by Nicholas »

loomer wrote: 2019-08-11 10:12am Then let us examine the issue of genocide. I will, for convenience, use the Rome Statute. It's not perfect but it's a reasonable starting point.
" For the purpose of this Statute, "genocide" means any of the following acts committed with intent to destroy, in whole or in part, a national, ethnical, racial or religious group, as such:
(c) Deliberately inflicting on the group conditions of life calculated to bring about its physical destruction in whole or in part;

I believe there is a strong case to be made that subsections c and e are alive and well in Australia, with removals of Indigenous children at an all-time high and a consistent and ongoing hostility by the federal and state governments towards Indigenous communities, and don't get me started on Indigenous deaths in custody. Do you disagree that these elements are in play? I'm rather less well read in the American and Canadian contexts, but I defer to the judgment of MMIWG inquiry in the latter case, whose report quite strongly affirmed that a genocide is ongoing in Canada. I believe similar issues exist in America from my readings on the matter. Which part of this definition of genocide do you feel is inapplicable to America, Australia, Canada, etc?
The part of this that I doubt is in place is the "intent to destroy in whole or in part." Unless you have evidence that these crimes are being committed because leaders in government are trying to destroy the indigenous peoples then what is going on is callous indifference not genocide. This does not, of course, mean that justice does not require restitution and the correction of the institutional problems that let these crimes occur.

Given that exception the basis of your claim for ongoing injustice is the "continuing process of the illegitimate theft of land under faulty legal doctrines." So, who does the land actually belong to? It can't be the people it was stolen from because the vast majority of the land was stolen over 130 years ago and the oldest living person today is 116. Since the land doesn't belong to the current tenants (if it did there would be no "continuing process of the illegitimate theft" to make right). Who does the land belong to?
The land belongs to the nations and peoples from whom it was illegitimately seized either communally or according to whatever divisions of land and property those peoples maintained in their law at the time. You operate under the assumption that the death of an original owner extinguishes all property rights. This is incorrect - inheritance rights exist for that very purpose, in fact, and can and are enforced in cases where properties have been stolen. Indeed, there are a rather great many of those cases relating to goods looted by the Nazis, and I see no particular reason to draw a line between real and chattel properties in this context.

Further, in the case of a very great many of the peoples whose land we are discussing, private ownership of land was not present. This land was communally owned (or rather, owned the people of it - an important epistemic and normative distinction) and as such the death of one individual is irrelevant. The rights are attached to the collective of which they are a member, not to them as individuals in isolation, and so the idea that the death of the traditional custodians from which the land was initially taken can in some way interrupt the chain of possession is fundamentally incorrect in this context. There are fringe cases where this does not apply - for instance, groups that have entirely ceased to exist or land that was genuine terra nullius (rare though it may be, there are and were such places and they were settled - though usually the settlers find out at some point there was a reason no one was bothering with it, usually because it turns out to be a god-awful place to live one way or another) - but in the bulk of such cases, either we are concerned with communal and collective rights that cannot be extinguished by the death of a single individual or by the inherited rights to property of their heirs.
You have implicitly answered the currently existing indigenous tribes. On what basis is it theirs? You have never answered this question so I am left to guess and I am guessing either inheritance or institutional continuity.
By the basis of their existing, improperly - and thus invalidly - interrupted ownership. Allow me to give you an example of the underlying logic:
Group A lives in a place with the ordinary lawful interest of occupants, inhabitants, or custodians. Group B seizes that place by violence without valid legal authority. Group A retains its lawful interest in and ownership of that interest despite Group B's intervention, and barring an intervening act sufficient to sever that interest - e.g. voluntary renunciation - it persists. We would not ordinarily consider it a break in the chain of ownership if a bikie gang kicks our front door in, tells us they own our house now, and makes us move in with the neighbours on penalty of being shot in the face!
I agree, thank you for clarifying that your position was what I had assumed it was.
In either case the process of indigenization that you describe will not grant a right to the land for those who are not tribal members by other standards. You appear to acknowledge this in your long post in response to Broomstick's charge of racism, where despite all your connections to the indigenous population in your area you acknowledge that it is not your land.
The purpose of indigenization is not to grant a right to land, but to facilitate a shift in culture that enables the return of land and the voluntary surrender of improperly obtained property rights. Being as they were never validly acquired in the first place, this simply follows from the legal principle that where there has been a delict, there should be a remedy, and where that delict is a theft, the return of the property ought to be the remedy where possible.

The right to land, such as it may emerge subsequently, will be as a citizen of the newly emergent states, as negotiated and enshrined in the constitutions developed during the decolonization process. It is of course entirely possible no one will possess an individual right to property real or moveable, but if this is constitutional and was arrived at democratically, then I see no reason to object.
This is where I have a problem with your position. Who is negotiating what the new constitution will say? Is it the indigenous people who have a right to the land or everyone living in the new state? If the first then the settlers are in fact being denied the right to self government and are in danger of being rendered stateless. If the second, then the property is not being returned and thus justice is not being done.
Since the injustice described is an ongoing theft, doing justice requires returning the stolen property and sovereignty (since that was also stolen). Not returning some of the property, not assigning and arbitrary value to the property and giving the victim that, not ordering the thieves to make amends by adopting their victims cultural practices, not transforming social structures while letting the theft continue, returning the property whole and entire without strings.
No contest there, subject to the caveat that I believe the only way to 'make it stick', so to speak, is for a democratic transition to negotiate the terms and form of the return of property, and that such a transition necessarily requires indigenization to be successful. Thus, the adoption of Indigenous customs, language, etc as and when appropriate is not some kind of restitution, as you suggest here, so much as simply recognizing the presence of those customs and their validity within the places we live. In this regard I consider it no different to if I were to move to Germany, where I would hopefully learn German to some degree if able out of respect for those around me, and inevitably absorb part of the local culture simply by being.

Since this property includes sovereignty, returning the property means returning full sovereignty to the indigenous population (note not the indigenous population and their non-indigenous allies but the indigenous population who have the inherited right to the land), full sovereignty includes the right to decide who lives on the land, the right to deport or jail those present on it illegally, the right to determine what rules regulate private ownership of property and the right to make war.
Yes, I am well aware of what sovereignty entails. However, here you make a dangerous misstep - very few decolonization theorists and advocates and even Indigenous sovereignty movements (other than those proposing state-within-a-state models) in fact call for a totally exclusive rule of the Indigenous population alone. It is not what is suggested by me, nor by the bulk of the theorists and advocates, and is instead almost totally counter to what is pursued. The goal of decolonization and the restoration of sovereignty is not to simply reverse the order of who gets to hold the leash, who gets beaten with the stick, and who gets to wear the jackboots, but to do away with such things entirely.
Thus doing justice to the indigenous population requires giving them the power to dispossess and expel the people who were born on the land and have been living on it all their life.
And where those people's possession is based on illegitimate acquisition, itself predicated on violent genocide, then that may have to be the case. However, again, I note that very few decolonization theorists and advocates call for the kind of radical approach you here suppose is inherent and innate to the restoration of sovereignty. The idea that this is unjust necessarily presupposes that the present conditions under which the land is held by the non-Indigenous peoples involved are just - a position I strongly, indeed vehemently, disagree with. Those conditions are fundamentally rooted in the illegitimate acquisition of the land, and just as if I buy a stolen car (without knowing it's stolen or with that knowledge, it doesn't matter other than the additional penalty attached to the knowing receipt of stolen goods) I may find myself carless when the police turn up and return it to its rightful owner, these conditions render the current state of possession unjust.
No, it was not a misstep on my part. The definition of justice you used above, where the current situation was compared to the purchase of a stolen car and the just solution was stated as its return means that any solution that gives a say to the people currently living on the stolen land instead of limiting sovereignty to those with a right to the land is not justice. If your goal is not justice as you described above but something else then you need to quit claiming to want justice. If your goal is justice as you described above then you need to quit talking about what others want and admit that you want to create minority ruled ethnostates. The only other option is to redefine justice and since you are the one who is calling for justice I am not going to do that for you.

Also the position that expelling the descendants of the settlers from the land they were born in is unjust is not based on the idea that the current situation is just. It is based on the idea that every person has a right to live where they were born.

Once again, this is not what I propose, nor what the bulk of decolonization theorists and advocates propose. Democratic models are still largely preferred, and there is thus no inherent requirement as you wish to read in here to disenfranchise or revoke the human rights of Settler peoples. You have made the leap from 'sovereignty will be restored' to 'and will be exclusive, exclusionary, and ethnic' which does not necessarily follow, and indeed, denies the free and genuine sovereignty of the restored states by stating that they cannot empower non-Indigenous people living within them.
Which still seems to leave the question open of how you intend to do justice by restoring the sovereignty of the indigenous people while preserving the human rights of everyone living in these countries and maintaining democratic decision making since the indigenous people are only a tiny minority of the people living in these countries today. I don't think you can square this circle.

Nicholas
Darth Yan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Yan »

He can’t. And it feels like loomer is saying you should force native cultures to ditch the parts of their cultures that are reprehensible.

I’ll say it again. Natives are a minority compared to “settler folk”. If there were full equality the settler folk would crowd the natives out and put policies in place that will threaten native culture. The indeginization he proposes assumes that all “settler folk” will willingly abandon their language and culture to adopt native ways, which is idiotic in the extreme. Quite frankly the only way the states will maintain native culture is if you forcibly make it so only the natives have real power.

We can strive to be better but ignoring the past is dangerous.

This is why decolonization won’t work in this context. It’s utopian daydreaming
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Darth Yan wrote: 2019-08-11 05:13pm He can’t. And it feels like loomer is saying you should force native cultures to ditch the parts of their cultures that are reprehensible.
Now tell the class, is your picture of what native cultures are and what "reprehensible" parts they have based on the remembered versions from when they came into contact with colonial settlers who themselves hadn't quite decided that women were proper people who deserved education and votes, and that it was okay for one man to own another as long as his skin was a bit darker, or how they are practiced in the world today?
loomer
Sith Marauder

Post by loomer »

Nicholas wrote: 2019-08-11 12:18pm
loomer wrote: 2019-08-11 10:12am Then let us examine the issue of genocide. I will, for convenience, use the Rome Statute. It's not perfect but it's a reasonable starting point.

The part of this that I doubt is in place is the "intent to destroy in whole or in part." Unless you have evidence that these crimes are being committed because leaders in government are trying to destroy the indigenous peoples then what is going on is callous indifference not genocide. This does not, of course, mean that justice does not require restitution and the correction of the institutional problems that let these crimes occur.
The requirement of intent with regards to states is not that the leaders actively wish it, but rather that the policy of the state is either expressly genocidal or cannot be carried out without creating the effect of genocide. While intent to destroy remains rather tricky, where the policy of the state cannot be attained without carrying out a genocide, it is satisfied.

I agree, thank you for clarifying that your position was what I had assumed it was.

This is where I have a problem with your position. Who is negotiating what the new constitution will say? Is it the indigenous people who have a right to the land or everyone living in the new state? If the first then the settlers are in fact being denied the right to self government and are in danger of being rendered stateless. If the second, then the property is not being returned and thus justice is not being done.
I believe I already addressed who will negotiate it upthread, but here we go: The representatives and legal experts of all involved parties. Just like any other major governmental reform, national fusion, etc. The right to reside within the state, provided it is in compliance with the new constitutions, can be retained without a refusal to restore land and sovereignty - indeed, it is usually proposed that the right attach to citizenship and that citizenship be granted to all resident in the affected areas at the time of transition - and I challenge you to demonstrate precisely why it cannot without falling back on 'the settlers will just turn on the Indigenous peoples again'. None of this compromises the right to self government nor creates the danger of statelessness, since under the approach I propose, the process of dismantling the states involved is inherently an expression of self government and necessarily contains such negotiations as to enable safeguards against statelessness.

No, it was not a misstep on my part. The definition of justice you used above, where the current situation was compared to the purchase of a stolen car and the just solution was stated as its return means that any solution that gives a say to the people currently living on the stolen land instead of limiting sovereignty to those with a right to the land is not justice.
Again, you make an error here. You assume sovereignty attaches to the people rather than to the state, which is incorrect. The justice involved is the restoration of that sovereignty not to Indigenous people but to their nations and states. Now, you again make the bold claim that this sovereignty must exclude non-Indigenous voices as a foundational point of justice, but this is not the case - let's return to the purchased stolen car analogy. There is no principle of law nor justice that says to the owner that they must not decide to let me use the car after it is returned, nor ever give me a lift down the road, nor that we may not become friends, nor that - where the acquisition was innocent and unknowing - I ought to be penalized beyond the loss of the improperly acquired property. Likewise, to propose that restoration of sovereignty must prohibit the inclusion of non-Indigenous peoples within those states is not supportable by the principles of sovereignty nor of justice.
If your goal is not justice as you described above but something else then you need to quit claiming to want justice. If your goal is justice as you described above then you need to quit talking about what others want and admit that you want to create minority ruled ethnostates. The only other option is to redefine justice and since you are the one who is calling for justice I am not going to do that for you.
I feel quite comfortable describing what I propose as a just and equitable outcome. As people have been eager to point out - yourself included - the existing Settler population is, with a few exceptions, not directly responsible for what has happened, only what will happen. Justice, then, is offended by both the propositions of allowing the existing unjust situation to stand and the creation of a new unjust situation via the punitive exclusion of the Settler, which is what you demand it must do - a position that, frankly, has less to do with justice and more to do with a very rigid way of viewing the world. This is why both myself and most decolonization theorists and advocates I've read or spoken to on the issue - including nearly all the Indigenous perspectives - do not call for ethnostates, nor for victor's justice, but genuine justice - the resolution of the unjust situation, and the creation of a new and better one.

I must again dispute that what I seek are 'minority ruled ethnostates'. What I'd personally like to see is a tripartite parliamentary system with a body set up specifically for Indigenous representation and strong constitutional and cultural safeguards against the abuse of the system by any part of the population, which I suppose at a stretch you could describe as minority ruled but certainly not an ethnostate.

I feel at this point for future clarity that I must ask you how you define justice. We may be arguing about two very different conceptions of the idea, which is unfortunately extremely common in this particular matter.
Also the position that expelling the descendants of the settlers from the land they were born in is unjust is not based on the idea that the current situation is just. It is based on the idea that every person has a right to live where they were born.
Now, while it may be broadly agreeable that a person has a right to live where they were born - indeed, I don't think you'll find many people who disagree in most cases - we routinely do away with such a right. Houses are seized or sold, and the offspring born there have no innate right of return. Land is turned into highways or factories, and the people born there have no innate right of return. It is not an inviolable right, but one that can and regularly is dismissed and extinguished. But let us pretend for a moment that it isn't.

Person A lives on the land (Land A) he was born on. Person B violently seizes that land from him. Person A spends the rest of his life elsewhere (Land B, owned by Person C who is sympathetic but does not adopt Person A) as a guest, but has children. These children cannot have a right to live in Land B when their father's right was purely conditional and as a guest of good will without Person C granting them that right, unless you propose that birthright exceeds all other possible factors (for instance, Person C's right to control who lives in and on his land) as the supreme right. The only land they can have a birthright to is Land A, but they weren't born there, and meanwhile Person B's children have - a situation which you propose is sufficient to either extinguish or limit the rights of Person A's offspring purely for the fact that Person B was stronger than Person A.

This would be an absurd situation, and I'm sure you recognize that the right to inhabit an area can be passed down, so we then reach our next area of weakness in your argument: I'm not calling for expulsion except in certain fringe areas (e.g. where a border must be built, where someone lives on sacred ground, etc), so the above side show is fundamentally irrelevant. While the ownership of the land will usually have to be returned in various forms, this does not require that tenants be evicted - indeed, land ownership is regularly transferred without doing so - and people's voidable right to live where they were born does not need to be stripped to accomplish it.
Which still seems to leave the question open of how you intend to do justice by restoring the sovereignty of the indigenous people while preserving the human rights of everyone living in these countries and maintaining democratic decision making since the indigenous people are only a tiny minority of the people living in these countries today. I don't think you can square this circle.
This, again, is where the process of indigenization comes in. Restoring the sovereignty of Indigenous states - which are, again, distinct from Indigenous peoples when they have not been improperly collapsed by the seizure of that statehood - can still take place democratically, it just requires the consent of the Settler population. Hence, the call for widespread cultural change and the centring of our national heritage as the tools for doing so. In this regard, it is, well, literally no different to any other democracy other than proposed safeguards like an Indigenous representative body in parliament and the voluntary shift in culture.
loomer
Sith Marauder

Post by loomer »

Darth Yan wrote: 2019-08-11 05:13pm He can’t. And it feels like loomer is saying you should force native cultures to ditch the parts of their cultures that are reprehensible.

I’ll say it again. Natives are a minority compared to “settler folk”. If there were full equality the settler folk would crowd the natives out and put policies in place that will threaten native culture. The indeginization he proposes assumes that all “settler folk” will willingly abandon their language and culture to adopt native ways, which is idiotic in the extreme. Quite frankly the only way the states will maintain native culture is if you forcibly make it so only the natives have real power.

We can strive to be better but ignoring the past is dangerous.

This is why decolonization won’t work in this context. It’s utopian daydreaming
Yan. Go answer my questions - you've been asked to provide evidence for assertions of fact you've made, so do it.

I'd also like for you to show me, since you insist on digging yourself deeper, where I have at any time suggested that the process of indigenization requires the 'idiotic in the extreme' abandoning of the settler's language and culture rather than its broadening and opening. I'm curious to see where I've said that I should forget English, stop pretending to enjoy the test cricket (no one actually enjoys the test cricket. It's a nationally enshrined chance to just sit down, have a cuppa, and fall asleep on the couch because it won't matter, it'll still be on in three days), and quit drinking coffee.

You may also wish to make notes while watching Nicholas. While I think many of his assumptions are faulty, he actually defends them, critiques mine, and engages in debate - unlike your milquetoast attempt to sit on the side line pitching barely literate scorn while refusing to even attempt to answer direct questions.
loomer
Sith Marauder

Post by loomer »

It occurs to me at this point that the repeated emphasis on assimilation made by certain posters highlights a central belief of their way of thinking - that social, legal, and cultural pluralism is not possible in the long term and that assimilation is a zero sum game, that to be asked to learn about another means giving up your own. And to be fair, that's how it's been implemented in settler-colonialism, but it is entirely possible for there to be an additive assimilatory model (and by this I absolutely do not mean assimilation as implemented in settler-colonialism, which is perhaps one of the most sinister and evil words ever conjured forth, to the point that I find it difficult to approach the idea with anything but utter disgust due to the baggage it has created. Perhaps I should instead use the term additive acculturation?) - a poly and multi-cultural one - in opposition to the settler-colonial genocide-as-assimilation policy, which can not only contain but actively thrive with unique and distinct cultures and a shared common culture bridging between them. It is the creation of this latter culture that is sought in the process of indigenization, rather than the destruction of one, the other, or all of the existing cultures - indeed, the active preservation of culture is a crucial part of the process as well, to make sure things aren't lost in translation and the process is equitable, and that applies to both sides of the bridge.

Hence when I say I should probably learn the local language, that doesn't require me to put aside the languages of my ancestors - just add one to the mix. When I say that decolonization requires a recentering (a fair, equitable one that avoids further colonization and theft, that is) of Indigenous foodways, that doesn't mean I have to stop eating lamb. I might stop eating lamb if I find out paddymelons are tastier, but that's no different to when I stopped eating green pears because I found out I liked Nashis more. It's not zero sum - it's additive.

But the emphasis on assimilation and the fear of being made to stop speaking English? It goes to the precise tendency decolonization seeks to dismantle - the tendency of the Settler to think, instinctively, that the existing order of things (jackboots on throats) is the only way things can be and therefore can be excused because any change just puts the boots on the other side, rather than what is sought - chucking the damn things in the bin and putting on some sensible dancing shoes for a spin together instead.
Darth Yan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Yan »

loomer wrote: 2019-08-11 04:36am
Darth Yan wrote: 2019-08-11 04:21am 1.) Your whole theory of democratizing depends on humans jettisoning flaws they’ve had since the dawn of time. Effie also tried to downplay the atrocities of Jean Jacques Dessalines on the grounds that what the French did to the Black Haitians was worse (it was worse but killing civilians AFTER you’ve won and forced out the enemy is NOT okay).
Does it? Please show me where it does.
2.) History tends to repeat. We have idiot leaders now just like we did centuries ago. The holocaust, massacre of native Americans and other genocides were motivated by the same hatred that existed before civilization. Humanity is a flawed lot and while there is improvement we are ever bound by our flaws.
I see. So it is your position, then, that since history happened, we should cease striving to do better or to make good on what has happened?
You also ignored that native Americans ALSO committed genocide and stole land from other tribes (so in some cases you’d arguably replace one unjust state with another unjust state) and that in practice even sides with righteous causes have behaved really shittily.
Did I? Please show me where.
Certainly, these are risks, but this is where the process of indigenization comes in. The goal is, again, to fundamentally change the culture such that these concerns can ease off.
4.) 1 2 3 4 4a 4b 4c and 4d work.
Then please, outline where 5 does not. If 1, 2, 3, 4, and 4's subsets work, then 5 necessarily follows.
But you also ignore that treaties are actually being enforced
Do I? Please show me where I make any such statement. While you're at it, please provide proof that most - or even a small majority - of treaties are being genuinely and fairly enforced.
that most natives don’t even live on reservations
Do I? Demonstrate where.
and that quite a few ARE assimilating into America.
Again, do I? Demonstrate where.
So dissolving the country isn’t the only way.
Certainly, but it is the way we seek. I don't think I've ever said it is in fact the only way - I'm sure you'll be able to demonstrate where I have.
And while you don’t want to admit it advocating the dissolution of the us and Australia while ignoring the founding of Britain (when the invading saxons ethnically cleansed the celts)
Remind me, was Anglo-Saxon Britain founded on settler-colonial principles? And, while you're at it, please demonstrate where I have ignored this history.
Israel
I think you'll find that many decolonization theorists have quite a bone to pick with Israel, myself included.
and many native nations in America is the height of hypocrisy (natives also wiped out whole tribes and stole land. Should THEY return it?)
Was this colonization carried out on settler-colonial principles?
The only way your democratization would work is if humans suddenly loose flaws they had since the dawn of time. That’s why it’s never going to work.
It is your position, then, that humans cannot overcome tribalism, violence, and systemic oppression?
You also display a double standard by saying that only white Australians and Americans should have to dissolve their state’s rather than other nations that ALSO committed genocide and stole land through dubious practices.
Do I? I'm sure you can demonstrate the following assertions you make here:
1. That I limit my proposal to only America and Australia as sites for decolonization;
2. That I limit decolonization to 'white Australians and Americans'.

Yan. I'm going to ask you to actually answer the following as well:
loomer wrote: 2019-08-11 03:50am Kindly demonstrate where I have, at any point, suggested that Indigenous people (or, as you put it here, 'blacks' - very loaded, unfortunately) are incapable of evil, by which I will generously assume you mean violence.
This in no way requires anyone lose any fundamental rights, and I challenge you to show in what way it does. As you seem to find rigorous debate a challenge, I would suggest you start with those rights in the UDHR. I further challenge you to show a published decolonization theorist or theory that in fact calls for either of the things you continually assert are in some way inherent to the proposal of decolonization.
At the moment, you are directly refusing to provide proof of disputed statements of fact. Back up your claims.
Broomstick's right you ARE an idiot. Every time those points were raised you either never responded or called the people making them racists. If I had to dig back I'd loose track of all the evasions you made. So at this point I'm honestly tempted to just bow the fuck out with one final question.

1.) How the hell is "indiginization" going to address the fact that groups like the Sioux and Pawnee, Hopi and Navajo, Seminole and Calusa have different claims to certain lands? Even if you were able to get every white person to go along with decolonization the fact that both tribes claim the land is going to be a roadblock, and there's no guarantee it will be accepted by the other tribe. Look at the balkans. Once the Soviet Union collapsed the ethnic tensions exploded into an orgy of violence. This isn't saying Natives are savages, just that when long term ethnic tensions are buried by another force they tend to explode when the force leaves. Things aren't violent NOW, but you can bet your ass a lot of people in serbia absolutely want to reclaim Kosovo by force. How are you going to address that? Broomstick raised numerous issues and you completely dodged them before accusing her of ignoring your perfect solutions

Oh and the "the other states weren't carried out under colonization" is horseshit. Groups like the Saxons exterminated the locals and took their land by force. Doctrine of Discovery might have been invented to pretty it up but at heart it's basically the same thing. As such the Sioux taking lands from other tribes is no different than the US taking THEIR land from them. The "it was colonization" is just a sad attempt to avoid the fact that humans are REALLY REALLY good at justifying being assholes and taking land.

In the end your idea is like communism. If it could actually work in real life it might be ideal. However it's not going to work because of how human nature operates. The best option is to try to mitigate what has happened and work towards something equitable like letting native americans share the profits of the infrastructure projects, give back some of the tribal lands that won't cause a massive disruption and completely abandon any FURTHER infrastructure projects, as well as devoting financial capital to say trying to restore native languages or improving living conditions.

It's not ideal but at it's the only truly feasible option at this point. It's painful but it is true.
loomer
Sith Marauder

Post by loomer »

Darth Yan wrote: 2019-08-12 01:16am Broomstick's right you ARE an idiot. Every time those points were raised you either never responded or called the people making them racists. If I had to dig back I'd loose track of all the evasions you made. So at this point I'm honestly tempted to just bow the fuck out with one final question.
Then bow the fuck out and be silent, dickhead, because this is what debate actually looks like. I'm also curious where you think I've called anyone a racist - the last time I asked you made an incomprehensible warble and flailing of the arms involving Palestine and Nelson Mandela then insisted I was insinuating it rather than identifying it - but you seem to have a frankly tenuous at best grasp on reading comprehension so I'm going to chalk it up to that and assume you can't do so.
1.) How the hell is "indiginization" going to address the fact that groups like the Sioux and Pawnee, Hopi and Navajo, Seminole and Calusa have different claims to certain lands? Even if you were able to get every white person to go along with decolonization the fact that both tribes claim the land is going to be a roadblock, and there's no guarantee it will be accepted by the other tribe.
It doesn't, and at no point did I suggest it would - you seem to be confusing indigenization with decolonization and negotiation, which are all part of the process but not synonymous with one another. Again though, I'm sure you can prove otherwise and show us all where I said that indigenization (that's an e, not an i, by the way!) can do so - or rather, I'm sure you won't bother, since you seem to have decided that refusing to answer direct questions while blatantly and brazenly making inaccurate factual assertions is the way to go. And you're entirely right, of course, that contested lands are tricky - but you seem to think they mean that the US cannot be dissolved, rather than that negotiations will have to take them into account and work to find a mutually satisfactory conclusion.

It's somewhat along the lines of the following scenario: Tom and Jerry both say they own the sandwich. We can either, a, sit down and work out who owns the sandwich properly - or figure out a settlement that will resolve the issue between the two satisfactorily, if neither has a stronger claim of ownership - or b, shrug, steal the sandwich, and eat it while mocking them. You have chosen Option B. You will, no doubt, view this answer as an evasion, but I think if you look closely you'll be able to identify the following: An acknowledgement of your point (that land claims can be difficult), a suggestion as to why the issue is not a barrier (negotiation as part of the process), and an analogous situation in logic simplified to your level (Tom and Jerry).
Look at the balkans. Once the Soviet Union collapsed the ethnic tensions exploded into an orgy of violence. This isn't saying Natives are savages, just that when long term ethnic tensions are buried by another force they tend to explode when the force leaves. Things aren't violent NOW, but you can bet your ass a lot of people in serbia absolutely want to reclaim Kosovo by force. How are you going to address that?
Fortunately we have these things called 'negotiations' and 'peacekeeping arrangements'. You seem to think that, for some reason, a planned, carefully negotiated dissolution of a state involving a process of deliberate reconciliation is the same as sudden political collapses. This is, well, laughable - it's like thinking that air is the same thing as a tank of free fluorine because they can both create oxidation reactions. Please do demonstrate how your chosen case studies are even remotely applicable to a planned, negotiated dissolution at the tail end of a decolonization and reconciliation process.
Broomstick raised numerous issues and you completely dodged them before accusing her of ignoring your perfect solutions
Did I? I'm sure you can show it - but then, you won't.
Oh and the "the other states weren't carried out under colonization" is horseshit.
No - it's recognizing that there are many forms of land theft and acquisition and that many exhibit unique characteristics.
Groups like the Saxons exterminated the locals and took their land by force. Doctrine of Discovery might have been invented to pretty it up but at heart it's basically the same thing.
And if you'd like to actually have a debate around where the historical dividing line of settler colonialism versus other forms of colonialism and historic acquisition via violence lie, I'm game. Are you? I doubt it.
As such the Sioux taking lands from other tribes is no different than the US taking THEIR land from them. The "it was colonization" is just a sad attempt to avoid the fact that humans are REALLY REALLY good at justifying being assholes.
So, is it your perspective that there is no difference between any kind of violent acquisition of land through time and space, then?

I'll be totally blunt with you, Yan. I made these last couple in good faith to give you a chance to debate, but you insist on evading, equivocating, and openly refusing to answer, all while flagrantly misrepresenting my arguments. Either you go and answer the direct questions I've asked you in your next post, or we're quite entirely done and your concessions will be accepted. Put up or shut up, Yan - you seem to think you're some kind of hotstuff in debate, so prove it.

EDIT:
Oh, and learn how to use the quote function properly, fuckknuckle. I'm getting tired of scrolling past long blocks of uninterrupted quote to find a barely-above-primary school level response at the bottom.
Darth Yan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Yan »

Given how dogmatic you are I sincerely doubt you were operating in good faith. Broomstick raised every point I did with more eloquence and you basically called her a racist and said everything will work itself out through negotiation.
loomer
Sith Marauder

Post by loomer »

Darth Yan wrote: 2019-08-12 01:56am Given how dogmatic you are I sincerely doubt it. Broomstick raised every point I did with more eloquence and you basically called her a racist
Ah, would this be where I suggested her attempt to utilize the word 'Bundjalung' as an offensive word was weirdly racial? Because I have a little concept for you that may blow your mind, Yan: Sometimes, when people launch what really looks like a racialized attack, I might ask them to explain. This is because I don't assume they're racist and want there to be another reason they thought that using the name of the people whose land I live on was in some way offensive to me, and would rather not declare them a racist without trying to get to the bottom of it. You'll also note that even while I was asking her to explain, I wasn't using it as an ad hominem or to suggest the arguments elsewhere were invalid, so it wasn't being used to deflect from debate.

Quite frankly, if I want to call people racist, I'll just call them a racist. Same as if I want to call them an idiot, illiterate, or a shitslinging chickenfucker incapable of doing much more than gargling their own urine every other Wednesday. Now go answer the direct questions I made regarding your questionable assertions of fact.

EDIT:
Darth Yan wrote: 2019-08-12 01:56am Given how dogmatic you are I sincerely doubt you were operating in good faith. Broomstick raised every point I did with more eloquence and you basically called her a racist and said everything will work itself out through negotiation.
I see you edited! Where is it you think I'm operating in bad faith, precisely? Where is it that you think I ignored her 'more eloquent' (not the words I'd choose for Broomstick's inane rambling, myself) arguments and called her a racist to dismiss them? Why do you think that Indigenous peoples cannot successfully negotiate for a peaceful future?