Seth Rich murder conspiracy theory originated from Russian Intelligence, confirmed.

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Straha
Lord of the Spam

Re: Seth Rich murder conspiracy theory originated from Russian Intelligence, confirmed.

Post by Straha »

stormthebeaches wrote: 2019-07-15 04:31pm
Almost everything in this paragraph is wrong. NATO was originally formed by Britain and France in 1947, although back then it was called the Treaty of Alliance and Mutual Assistance. It's original purpose was to stop Germany rising up again, not opposing Russia. America was invited to join this organisation in 1949, where it was renamed the North Atlantic Treaty Organisation (NATO).
No. Attempts to create a broad treaty of Mutual Defense including the US began right after the creation of the UN, but floundered because the US was still formulating long-term strategy and didn't necessarily want to commit itself long-term to Europe given the tattered economic and political situation on the ground. Mutual defense treaty negotiations began in earnest between European countries in 1947 with the US explicitly invited to join, Secretary of State Marhshall said no but overtly supported the plans, and Truman publicly lauded their efforts. The British Foreign office cables at the time make clear that the plan between Ernest Benin, Lord Galwyn, and Attlee was to create an alliance that would enable Europe to convince the United States that long-term commitments to support European security weren't fool's errands. I believe one of the lines was 'we need to convince Hercules to help those who will help themselves.' Internal to the State Department by this time was a growing sense that they couldn't control European foreign policy solely through arms sales and that some forward deployment needed to happen, but there was severe anxiety over a number of issues (the size and future of the military, the Algeria and Indo-China questions, etc).

Almost immediately after the Europeans ratified their own treaty direct negotiations to expand the treaty to include the US took place inside the Pentagon. This wasn't European nations inviting the US into their lands, it was the US taking a direct lead and control and negotiating the treaty literally in the heart of the budding Military Industrial project.

NATO from the beginning was framed as anti-Russian, the NATO website even now has a page where it highlights how the first secretary general said that the point was to "keep the Russians out, the Americans in, and the Germans down. And the discussion of the matter internal to the US state department framed it because "actions of the Soviet government in the field of foreign affairs leave us no alternative other than to assume that the USSR has aggressive intentions."

You are right in your implication that the US was not actively opposed by Europe in what it was doing, but that doesn't mean that it wasn't mutually designed to make that the European powers were inextricably linked to US dominance. You are also right that this was designed initially to denude Germany of military force, but NATO became a tool in enabling Germany to rearm itself without posing a threat to other nations. Germany was allowed to rearm in 1954 only after NATO had proven itself and conditionally on Germany entering NATO (after a failed attempt with the creation of the European Defence Community.) Germany can't be a threat to Belgium when German and Belgian troops are part of the same integrated command and logistical structure.
And isn't the fact that France was able to leave prove NATO doesn't "forcefully and irrevocably" align it's member states with the USA. If it did, France would never have been able to leave.
The fact that France left before that process completed because they were afraid of losing their geo-strategic independence doesn't prove that NATO isn't designed to take away geo-strategic independence. If anything it explicitly does the opposite.

The USA has history of bullying Latin American nations, however, that doesn't give Russia the right to behave in a similar manner in Eastern Europe. Bigger countries should not treaty neighbouring smaller countries as their own backyard.
"Bullying." Yiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiikes.

Nobody is defending Russian actions in this thread. The argument is more pointed: The US has deliberately helped to create a geo-strategic order that requires a Mearshimerian approach to international politics. You cannot then act surprised when other countries behave using your ruleset. Or, to put it another way, attacks on Russian meddling in the US election to be coherent require a recognition that the positioning of the office of the President is fundamentally problematic, which makes defending the legitimacy of the Presidency even more troubling than the accusation of meddling.
I don't think America views Russian-Eastern European relations of tantamount of importance. It's more like NATO let the Eastern European nations join without thinking about the long term consequences and no has to support them otherwise it will look weak. Your assuming some sort of masterplan is going on when it's more likely a combination of hubris and short term thinking.
Again, you are largely wrong. When Bill Perry and James Baker both talk about how red flags were raised about NATO expansion and that hard-liners made sure they were ignored it's not a question of ignorance.

I think you may be right that it was Hubris coupled with a sense of Russian defeat and American triumphalism. But from a Russian perspective that's probably worse than the Americans having a Masterplan.
'After 9/11, it was "You're with us or your with the terrorists." Now its "You're with Straha or you support racism."' ' - The Romulan Republic

'You're a bully putting on an air of civility while saying that everything western and/or capitalistic must be bad, and a lot of other posters (loomer, Stas Bush, Gandalf) are also going along with it for their own personal reasons (Stas in particular is looking through rose colored glasses)' - Darth Yan
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Re: Seth Rich murder conspiracy theory originated from Russian Intelligence, confirmed.

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Straha wrote: 2019-07-15 09:30am
The Romulan Republic wrote: 2019-07-15 01:37am
Gandalf wrote: 2019-07-15 01:23am

Thoughtcrime is a dreadful thing, Straha. It's insidious. It can get hold of you without your even knowing it. Do you know how it got hold of me? In my sleep! Yes, that's a fact. There I was, working away, trying to do my bit. Never knew I had any bad stuff in my mind at all.
Yeah, sure, focus on GrosseAdmiralFox being an idiot instead of the constant defense by strawman and ad hominem of a regime that annexes its neighbors, murders dissidents, robs its people, and tortures and kills homosexuals, in addition to intervening in multiple nations' elections for the purpose of undermining democracy in favor of its kleptocratic, neo-fascist agenda.

It is genuinely fascinating to me how you've constructed a zero-sum world wherein any fundamental disagreement with your viewpoint must be because of Russian influence, either witting or unwitting, on the part of the poster. Coupled with the full-bore charge you engage in to try and make people publicly confess Russia's crimes. Strong echoes of McCarthy.
Aaaaand Kremlin apologist calls anyone who disagrees with them a McCarthyist (because in your minds, its still the Cold War and Russia is still the Soviet Union, I guess), while accusing the other side of calling anyone who disagrees with them under Russian influence. Never seen that before. :wanker: Of course, even if I call you on your hypocrisy, that just means that Both Sides Are Just As Bad, which by the power of Whataboutism somehow actually means that I'm a hypocrite and therefore discredited, while everything the pro-Kremlin side does is therefore justified.

I love how lying and ad hominem (at least on this topic) has become not only accepted on this board as a debate tactic, but standard practice.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Straha
Lord of the Spam

Post by Straha »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2019-07-15 07:35pm
I love how lying and ad hominem (at least on this topic) has become not only accepted on this board as a debate tactic, but standard practice.
Okay, a few things:

First, you keep using this phrase. It does not mean what you think it means.

Debate 102: Ad Homs and You!

An Ad Hominem, often shortened to 'ad hom', is a logical fallacy where you replace the warrant of your argument with a statement about the nature of the other person. So, for instance, "Of course you think the sun gets eaten by a dragon at night, it's typical democrat gobbledegook." or "Equal rights for lemurs? Vegan propaganda is what that is."

The problem with these statements is that they replace the logical reasoning behind the claim being forwarded (that is, the warrant) with a personal statement about the other person. That is, they address the argument toward the person hence 'ad hominem'. But, it's important to remember that an ad hominem is not the following:

A. An insult. So, for instance, "You think the Earth is flat? How do you explain the demonstrated curvature of the Earth, or pictures of the Earth as a sphere from multiple antagonistic parties, you fucking moron?" is incredibly crass but it is most definitely not an ad hominem. Why? Because the warrant of the argument being made is not tied up to the assertion being made about the other person.

B. A conclusion about the argument. "Oh, you think that the act of a god is a more likely explanation for fossils than decaying bodies overtime despite an overwhelming amount of evidence that shows how bodies underpressure decompose and a lack of an observable deity? That's some bible-thumping nonsense." While on first glance this may seem to be an ad hom because it makes a personal characterization of the argument you'll note that there's a distinction between this characterization (bible-thumping nonsense) and the logical discussion of the argument (the lack of an observable god and scientific evidence) and that the rebuttal of the argument is being made separately from the characterization.

At no point has an ad hom been levelled at you in this thread. Well, arguably some of your mentions of Putin and the influence of Russian propaganda viz-a-viz my posts could be seen as being ad homs, but I chalk that up more to inexperience with debate than anything else.

Second, I know you weren't around for the heyday of the Board, but if you had been you'd understand that everything in this thread is a fucking walk in the park compared to what it once was. Especially in threads with Wong in them. There's a reason why this place got a reputation for intense toxicity and being deeply unwelcome. Complaining about how this is some sort of new thing is funny given the tameness.

(Actually, to be fair, the homophobic rhetoric around sucking Putin's cock isn't exactly a fit with the old days. Say what you will about the board, it had some real chauvinism and patriarchy going on back in the day, but it usually shut down homophobic rhetoric like that pretty quickly.)

Third, your literal response to Gandalf making a joke about Nineteen Eighty Four (really, just a straight up quote) is to go after him for not being Anti-Russian enough. Do you expect to be taken seriously at that point? Like, at the point where that hits the trigger for you to try and swing at someone how do you think people are going to respond?

I'm not kidding when I say I find this construction of a zero-sum dualism between questioning the validity of the rhetoric used to discuss America's sudden vulnerability and supporting Putin's project to be deeply fascinating. (Especially when it's being done while also claiming that there's been a rupture between Cold War rhetoric of the Soviet Union and the modern Russian state.) And I find the fact that you're willing to lash out at Gandalf (and demand action from him, no less) when he hasn't responded to you at all a real testament to how deep this constructed dualism goes. And, yeah, it does have echoes of McCarthy, especially when rather than engage in the discussion at hand you're demanding denuciations of the Russian state.
'After 9/11, it was "You're with us or your with the terrorists." Now its "You're with Straha or you support racism."' ' - The Romulan Republic

'You're a bully putting on an air of civility while saying that everything western and/or capitalistic must be bad, and a lot of other posters (loomer, Stas Bush, Gandalf) are also going along with it for their own personal reasons (Stas in particular is looking through rose colored glasses)' - Darth Yan
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

I'll try and trawl through that whole tract later, but a few things:

1. McCarthy made up lies to target his political enemies in America and advance his own career. My anger is directed primarily at the demonstrable acts of the Russian state, and I only mock or criticize individuals insofar as they defend or downplay the Kremlin's actions.

Also, I'm not a Senator, have no power to have people jailed or blacklisted because I don't like them, and wouldn't if I could.

2. I may not have started posting until 2008, but I read a lot of the older threads, and I know what this board was like. Insults were common. I was under the impression, though, that outright dishonest debating was generally frowned upon.

3. I'm sorry if you took anything I said as homophobic. I've got no problem with one man engaging in the consensual sucking of another man's cock. The allusion here was to prostitution/subservience (to Putin), not derision for homosexuals. But sure, call me a homophobe (just like I've been painted as an imperialist, racist, fascist, etc.) so you can discredit me by attacking my character rather than my arguments (you know, the definition of an ad hominem).
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Straha
Lord of the Spam

Post by Straha »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2019-07-16 12:54am 2. I may not have started posting until 2008, but I read a lot of the older threads, and I know what this board was like. Insults were common. I was under the impression, though, that outright dishonest debating was generally frowned upon.
Lulz. "Make SDN Great Again". Alright buddy, Debate Rule 5, right now: Where have I been outright dishonest. Quote it or withdraw it.
3. I'm sorry if you took anything I said as homophobic. I've got no problem with one man engaging in the consensual sucking of another man's cock. The allusion here was to prostitution/subservience (to Putin), not derision for homosexuals. But sure, call me a homophobe (just like I've been painted as an imperialist, racist, fascist, etc.) so you can discredit me by attacking my character rather than my arguments (you know, the definition of an ad hominem).
My gods, only you can engage in the pretzel twisting to turn say "Hey, calling me out for using sexual rhetoric that has an explicit homophobic history is an 'ad hom'! How dare you!" If you're going to apologize, apologize. Otherwise don't go through this farce to repeat yourself again.