GoFundMe pulls homophobes page, ring wing whine

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

GoFundMe pulls homophobes page, ring wing whine

Post by mr friendly guy »

Music to my ears

For those who aren't Australian, Israel Folau was a big shot rugby player on a $ 4million dollar contract. He made some bigoted remarks before and was warned about this, since you know, companies want you not to bring their brand into disrepute and apparently its in his contract. Being the bright lad he is, he did it again and his contract was terminated. If anyone is interested, this is what he said.

His April post on Instagram said: “WARNING Drunks, Homosexuals, Adulterers, Liars, Fornicators, Thieves, Atheists, Idolaters HELL AWAITS YOU Repent! Only Jesus Saves.”
What a swell guy Folau is. Strangely enough, no one seems to consider it bigotry against atheists. :D

Anyway, Folau set up a GoFundMe page to fight Rugby Australia, which was taken down.
GoFundMe Australia removed Folau’s page — which had raised more than $750,000 of a $3 million target — and pledged to issue refunds to all of the more than 7000 donors.

Now lets hear some thoughts from right wing losers.
The Daily Telegraph columnist Miranda Devine added: “The haters and Christophobes have forced Israel Folau’s church into hiding and GoFundMe appears to have closed his account, in the usual illiberal way of woke corporates. Did you know GoFundMe takes 5 per cent of donations? So it’s reaped $40,000 from Folau.”
Apparently she didn't get the message about GoFundMe issueing all refunds. But the right wing are notoriously allergic to truth.

One Nation NSW leader Mark Latham said GoFundMe’s decision was an “excessive use of corporate power”.

“During the SSM campaign, Lefties scoffed when I said the absence of Religious Freedom Protections would lead to a reign of terror against Christians. In all aspects of the Folau matter, it’s easy to see what’s happening,” he tweeted.
Oh noes, Christians don't get the magic right to breach a contract. What a reign of terror they are under.
But Folau has no shortage of defenders. Liberal National Party Senator James McGrath reacted swiftly to GoFundMe’s decision on Monday.

“The true test of a democratic nation is not how we treat those with whom we agree but how we treat the rights of those with whom we disagree,” he said.

“Freedom of speech is timeless and should not be restricted by the leftist gormless oxygen thieves of GoFundMe.”
Apparently freedom of speech is only for ring wing retards eh? Because apparently the people GoFundMe lack the ability to boycott those who they don't agree with. As Darth Wong would say, the hypocrisy is so thick you can cut it like a knife through butter.

We all know if random rugby player said something like, um, lets legalise paedophilia, and Rugby Australia terminated their contract, none of these right wing people would be crying freedom of speech. Its freedom of speech only when it agrees with their bigoted values.

And before someone says, it isn't the same as a baker refusing to make a cake, these crowd funding sites are big, so no alternatives hur hur. Well there are alternatives, which right wing bigots are themselves aware of.
Others encouraged Folau to continue to fight. “GoFundMe bends a knee to the LBG mob and joins the pack attack on Folau,” columnist Lawrence Money tweeted. “He should set up his own fund. He’d collect even more after this.”
Great, so set up your own fund. Go door to door knocking or something. :lol:

And before I forget, when Grace Park and Daniel Dae Kim left the show Hawaii O five allegedly because they weren't paid as much as their white co stars, people explained it away by saying who cares, they rich. Well same logic here right? Who cares about Folau, he is rich (maybe not for long given how sports stars in general manage their money), so no need to donate. Oh wait, who am I kidding?
BTW - this is the same logic people used against Indigenous AFL star Adam Goodes. Who cares, he is rich and successful. How dare he point to a 13 year old bitch racially villifying him and have her ejected from the grounds as per AFL rules. Right wingers in Australia and their hypocrisy.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Re: GoFundMe pulls homophobes page, ring wing whine

Post by The Romulan Republic »

A private site decided it didn't want to affiliate with a homophobe. Isn't this that free enterprise they're always wanking over?

Of course, we all know that to the right, "freedom" means "the freedom to do whatever horrible things we want, and no one is allowed to criticize us". Their only truly consistent "principle", if you can call it that, is "Its okay when we do it."
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
B5B7
Jedi Knight

Post by B5B7 »

Folau is rich and should fund his own useless appeal. Despite the claims constantly being made by media morons this is not an issue of freedom of speech or religious "freedom" but of proper business practice relating to contracts. Folau was a very good player and his absence from his teams is a betrayal of his teams by him [he is in both the national team and a local level team]. This absence is wholly due to his behaviour.
On 'The Project' last night their was a Christian (fundamentalist of course) spokesman who twice was directly asked the question of whether homosexuality is a sin, and evaded giving a direct yes response (as he really believes , but obviously lacked the moral courage to give his real belief) but went on some waffle about everyone being sinners.
TVWP: "Janeway says archly, "Sometimes it's the female of the species that initiates mating." Is the female of the species trying to initiate mating now? Janeway accepts Paris's apology and tells him she's putting him in for a commendation. The salamander sex was that good."
"Not bad - for a human"-Bishop to Ripley
GALACTIC DOMINATION Empire Board Game visit link below:
GALACTIC DOMINATION
B5B7
Jedi Knight

Post by B5B7 »

I have just gone to the actual video of 'The Project' episode (23rd June). The question is given at the 28 minute mark. Prior to that the guy is talking about how persecuted Christians are in Australia (LOL).

https://10play.com.au/theproject/episod ... 90623qkwxz
TVWP: "Janeway says archly, "Sometimes it's the female of the species that initiates mating." Is the female of the species trying to initiate mating now? Janeway accepts Paris's apology and tells him she's putting him in for a commendation. The salamander sex was that good."
"Not bad - for a human"-Bishop to Ripley
GALACTIC DOMINATION Empire Board Game visit link below:
GALACTIC DOMINATION
mr friendly guy
The Doctor

B5B7 wrote: 2019-06-24 04:17am I have just gone to the actual video of 'The Project' episode (23rd June). The question is given at the 28 minute mark. Prior to that the guy is talking about how persecuted Christians are in Australia (LOL).

https://10play.com.au/theproject/episod ... 90623qkwxz
He said it wasn't just homosexuals, everyone was on the list of Folau's. Ok then. Which one of the "Drunks, Homosexuals, Adulterers, Liars, Fornicators, Thieves, Atheists" is he? I am betting he is the closet gay guy like Ted Haggard. :D
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
mr friendly guy
The Doctor

Just to update.

So the Australia Christian Lobby help funded Folau's defence and raised 2 million before pausing. However not all is well in paradise. You see, people are now looking to see whether helping a rich guy fight other rich guys for a breach of contract counts as "charity." If they can convince it as freedom of speech and promotion of religion, maybe, but if the court thinks this is just a case of breach of contract, then no its not.

Also if I work for a Christian charity organisation, while posting on social media that Jesus was a fucking racist who refuses to heal the child of a Canaanite women on account of her ethnicity, AND I get fired, would right wingers see this as a freedom of speech issue?