A group of Republican politicians are in hiding — and US police have been sent to track them down

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Re: A group of Republican politicians are in hiding — and US police have been sent to track them down

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Rogue 9 wrote: 2019-06-26 04:58pm
The Romulan Republic wrote: 2019-06-25 09:09pm
Rogue 9 wrote: 2019-06-25 06:49pm The walkout is small potatoes. The problem is issuing threats and enlisting the aid of the militia movement to fucking close the state capitol due to armed threats. Arguably a federal Fourth Amendment intervention to guarantee a republican form of government is on the table at this point if the governor asks.
I think we all know that if Fuhrer Trump intervenes in this situation, it won't be on the side of the Democratic governor. The best thing we can do is pray the Feds don't touch it with a thirty foot poll.
The Constitution demands that states have a republican form of government and be protected from invasion and domestic violence. Forcing the legislature to not convene through threat of armed rebellion ticks boxes one and three there. There would be no grounds to intervene against the state government. Which just means that Trump wouldn't do anything, realistically. We're not at the stage where he'll send the Army to overthrow a state government because some militia loons want it overthrown.
Not yet, anyway.

But if he can't legally intervene on behalf of the Republicans, then he won't intervene at all. No way does Donald Trump intervene on behalf of a Democratic state government in a situation like this. If he does anything at all, it'll probably just be some tweets that are supportive of the Republicans, or some "good people on both sides" bullshit.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Ziggy Stardust
Sith Devotee

Re: A group of Republican politicians are in hiding — and US police have been sent to track them down

Post by Ziggy Stardust »

TimothyC wrote: 2019-06-25 06:59pm It's almost as if the OUTRAGE we are seeing here is entirely partisan, after all, when Dems in Indiana did the same thing eight years ago it got.... maybe three posts.
Don't be a twat. You know that this isn't a reasonable comparison at all.

You're linking to a 9 page thread about unions in Wisconsin, where on page 4 Broomstick makes a passing reference to the Indiana situation, but only for the purpose of quoting the governor of Indiana to contrast with statements by the governor of Wisconsin. Of course it didn't spark a discussion in that thread, because that's not what the fucking thread was about.

This isn't even getting into what has already been pointed out that what the Dems did in Indiana wasn't even "the same thing" as what happened in Oregon, or the fact that 8 years ago the entire political climate in the United States was completely different than it is now. I don't think you're stupid enough to not realize any of this, so it just leads me to believe you have a sore butt-hole because people have the sheer audacity to criticize Republicans and are intentionally being duplicitous by making a terrible comparison to try and make people feel like hypocrites. Go fuck yourself.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Yup. Save your "Both Sides" shit for when Democrats threaten to gun down state police in the lawful execution of their duty.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.