US Department of Energy: Fossil Fuels are now "Freedom Gas" or "Molecules of US Freedom" (Not the Onion)

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Civil War Man
NERRRRRDS!!!

US Department of Energy: Fossil Fuels are now "Freedom Gas" or "Molecules of US Freedom" (Not the Onion)

Post by Civil War Man »

I'm dead serious here, this article is from BBC and not The Onion or Clickhole
US energy officials appeared to rebrand natural gas produced in the country as "freedom gas", in a statement announcing an increase in exports.

The US Department of Energy said the expansion of a Texas facility meant more "molecules of US freedom" could be produced and exported worldwide.

The facility, based in Quintana, produces liquified natural gas (LNG).

The move was a clear indication of US commitment to promoting clean energy, the statement said.

But the rebranding comes amid a Trump administration push to roll back climate change legislation introduced by Mr Trump's predecessor, Barack Obama, which targeted vehicle emissions.

Shortly after taking office, Mr Trump announced the US would withdraw from the 2015 Paris climate change agreement, saying that he wanted to negotiate a new "fair" deal that would not disadvantage US businesses and workers.

The move was decried by climate change scientists and campaigners, and Mr Trump has faced accusations of hampering global efforts to cut carbon emissions.

Wednesday's announced expansion of the facility on Quintana Island will support some 3,000 new jobs in the area, according to the Department of Energy statement.

"Increasing export capacity from the Freeport LNG project is critical to spreading freedom gas throughout the world by giving America's allies a diverse and affordable source of clean energy," Mark Menezes, the US undersecretary of energy, said.

The term freedom gas is reminiscent of freedom fries, coined in the US 2003 as an alternative to French fries following France's opposition to the US invasion of Iraq.

Republican congressman Walter B Jones and his fellow Republican Robert W Ney also pushed for cafeterias in the House of Representatives to rename their French toast "freedom toast".
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Re: US Department of Energy: Fossil Fuels are now "Freedom Gas" or "Molecules of US Freedom" (Not the Onion)

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Those who have to trumpet "freedom" loudest are usually those who have the least. This is "freedom" in the same sense that the Democratic People's Republic of Korea is democratic, belongs to the people, and is a republic.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Re: US Department of Energy: Fossil Fuels are now "Freedom Gas" or "Molecules of US Freedom" (Not the Onion)

Post by FaxModem1 »

This smells of spin to deal with branding, as fossil fuels probably sound negative to the common people, in a very tone deaf corporate way. It reminds me of the British Sausage from Yes, Prime Minister.
Dominus Atheos
Sith Marauder

Post by Dominus Atheos »

Am I the only one who thinks that this was a joke by some random press secretary who decided to quit rather than work for Trump and Rick Parry, and wanted to go out with a last giant "fuck you" to them?
Civil War Man
NERRRRRDS!!!

Post by Civil War Man »

Dominus Atheos wrote: 2019-05-31 03:01am Am I the only one who thinks that this was a joke by some random press secretary who decided to quit rather than work for Trump and Rick Parry, and wanted to go out with a last giant "fuck you" to them?
Probably. I think "Freedom Fries" and "Pokemon Go To The Polls" has taught us that people in the political sphere will say cringe-worthy shit with absolutely zero sense of irony or self-awareness.
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

So freedom hating American companies are now literally burning freedom? Since Americans love freedom so much, they need to export freedom gas to countries without freedom. Preferably at a cost to US tax payers, but at a fraction of the amount it cost the US previously to export freedom around the world. :lol:
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.